Code
-------------------
    VarName       TimeString         VarValue
  Test_tag_00   20-10-2005 13:41   1
  Test_tag_01   20-10-2005 13:41   2
  Test_tag_02   20-10-2005 13:41   3
  Test_tag_03   20-10-2005 13:41   4
  Test_tag_00   20-10-2005 13:48   1
  Test_tag_01   20-10-2005 13:48   2
  Test_tag_02   20-10-2005 13:48   3
  Test_tag_03   20-10-2005 13:48
-------------------

I would like it much more if I could convert it to something lik
this:

Code
-------------------
    TimeString           Test_tag_00   Test_tag_01   Test_tag_02   Test_tag_03
  20-10-2005 13:41     1             2             3             4
  20-10-2005 13:48     1             2             3
-------------------

But how can I achive that ?
With some clever sorting or a macro

--
JesperM
JesperMP's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php?action=getinfo&userid=2823

excel 39879 articles. 2 followers. Follow

You may want to try and use a pivot table. You can see how to do it  in the
middle of the page http://www.auditexcel.co.za/othertools.html . Once it is
in the pivot table format you can pretty much sort in whatever way you like.
Hope this helps.

"JesperMP" wrote:

> Hi all.
> I am a noob when it comes to Excel, so I hope there is some of you
> gurus who can help me out with a probably trivial problem.
>
> Thing is, I have a program that automatically logs data to a CSV file.
> All the data is added sequentally to the file.
> If I open it with Excel it looks like this:
>

> Code:
> --------------------
>     VarName       TimeString         VarValue
>   Test_tag_00   20-10-2005 13:41   1
>   Test_tag_01   20-10-2005 13:41   2
>   Test_tag_02   20-10-2005 13:41   3
>   Test_tag_03   20-10-2005 13:41   4
>   Test_tag_00   20-10-2005 13:48   1
>   Test_tag_01   20-10-2005 13:48   2
>   Test_tag_02   20-10-2005 13:48   3
>   Test_tag_03   20-10-2005 13:48   4
> --------------------
>

> I would like it much more if I could convert it to something like
> this:
>

> Code:
> --------------------
>     TimeString           Test_tag_00   Test_tag_01   Test_tag_02   Test_tag_03
>   20-10-2005 13:41     1             2             3             4
>   20-10-2005 13:48     1             2             3             4
> --------------------
>

> But how can I achive that ?
> With some clever sorting or a macro ?
>

> --
> JesperMP
> JesperMP's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php?action=getinfo&userid=28237
> View this thread: http://www.excelforum.com/showthread.php?threadid=477870

0
AdrianM (30)
10/20/2005 3:56:12 PM
You can also achieve the result you are looking for using a function called
'Transpose'.  Look in your Excel help area for instructions on how to use
this function.

"JesperMP" wrote:

> Hi all.
> I am a noob when it comes to Excel, so I hope there is some of you
> gurus who can help me out with a probably trivial problem.
>
> Thing is, I have a program that automatically logs data to a CSV file.
> All the data is added sequentally to the file.
> If I open it with Excel it looks like this:
>

> Code:
> --------------------
>     VarName       TimeString         VarValue
>   Test_tag_00   20-10-2005 13:41   1
>   Test_tag_01   20-10-2005 13:41   2
>   Test_tag_02   20-10-2005 13:41   3
>   Test_tag_03   20-10-2005 13:41   4
>   Test_tag_00   20-10-2005 13:48   1
>   Test_tag_01   20-10-2005 13:48   2
>   Test_tag_02   20-10-2005 13:48   3
>   Test_tag_03   20-10-2005 13:48   4
> --------------------
>

> I would like it much more if I could convert it to something like
> this:
>

> Code:
> --------------------
>     TimeString           Test_tag_00   Test_tag_01   Test_tag_02   Test_tag_03
>   20-10-2005 13:41     1             2             3             4
>   20-10-2005 13:48     1             2             3             4
> --------------------
>

> But how can I achive that ?
> With some clever sorting or a macro ?
>

> --
> JesperMP
> JesperMP's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php?action=getinfo&userid=28237
> View this thread: http://www.excelforum.com/showthread.php?threadid=477870

0
Cathy (60)
10/20/2005 5:35:05 PM
Take a look at Excel's pivot table feature (under the Data menu).

-RP
0
send1 (3)
10/20/2005 6:56:53 PM
Thanks for the responses.

I dont think that TRANSPOSE will do the job. It only flips columns t
rows and vice-versa. The data has to be sorted in several columns wit
the data from one VarName in one column.

I will look into the pivot tables

--
JesperM
JesperMP's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php?action=getinfo&userid=2823
View this thread: http://www.excelforum.com/showthread.php?threadid=47787

Adrian,

that link to how to work with pivot tables was awesome !

After going throught it I could arrange and graph my data just like
wanted.

Thanks !

--
JesperM
JesperMP's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php?action=getinfo&userid=2823
View this thread: http://www.excelforum.com/showthread.php?threadid=47787

Automatic Charge
I have several monthly charges that are set up to automatically charge my AMEX. Serious Radio, Comcast and a few others. Under manage scheduled bills and deposits, under payment method, is there a way to automatically record Automatic Charge (AMEX)? On the 14th Just record it. Thanks, Fred Yes. Schedule the transactions against the AMEX account. Set the Automatically enter transaction into my register X days before flag. This has nothing to do with the payment method field. Just use Other. Maybe there's something about this question I don't understand? Are you using a ve...

Retrieving data question
Hi all, I have a question about retrieving records, hope you may help. I have a table which has 11 fields: One Name field ( for linkage ) and 10 Yes/No fields. I have a form to let users to key in the Name and then put a tick on those Yes/No fields as necessary. My question is, if I want to have another form which only shows "tick" fields of such record, how can I do that? For example, Record 1: Name is AAA, I "tick" 3 Yes/No fields. How may I only show that 3 fields in another form? Any suggestions are very much appreciated. Thanks! Reg...

How do I relate data of one document to another ?
When I imput additional information on a word document I would like that information transfered to an excel document, Likewise if I input data in an excel document I would like to have it transfered to a word document. How do I do it ? I don't think you can have the same link work both directions but you can copy and paste as link and when the source is updated (probably the excel file since I don't see the point of having Word as a source in Excel) the link will be updated as well -- Regards, Peo Sjoblom (No private emails please) "bandi" <bandi@discussions....

Copy data into a NEW worksheet
I have a workbook that the user runs one macro that imports a txt file to one of the worksheets, then another macro that imports data to another worksheet. There is some various math etc going on, but what I would like to do is in a 3rd worksheet have the text and data be combined into a document that I can print as a single page. I can not figure out how sum or copy the exact data in a cell range? Thanks in advance for any assistance. Krefty You don't provide enough detail of what you have and what you want to have for someone to know what to help you with. If you wish, s...

Lost all my Outlook data after a certain date....HELP!
Outlook 2000 has screwed me over big-time! I seem to have lost all my Outlook data for the past 6 months - email, contacts, calendar, etc. All the data prior to 6 mos. ago has been retained. Right before this data loss, I was having strange PC behavior - most likely due to spyware apps that were slowing down performance. I looked at my Outlook PST file and it appears the same size as it was before the data loss, so this missing data should still be in there somewhere? I have tried to export the PST file to different formats, such as Access and tab-separated values, but to no avail. I thi...

Breaking automatic link among Office Apps for User Information
Hi: Ref: Office 2004 w/ update 11.2.3 I find that changing user information in Entourage automatically changes user information in MS Word. I need to break that link. I need a different user information for MS Word (for example) and another one for MS Entourage. Can someone point out how to do this? Thanks In article <1142638699.397871.141530@z34g2000cwc.googlegroups.com>, "Rodizurieta" <rodrigo@izurieta.com> wrote: > Hi: > > Ref: Office 2004 w/ update 11.2.3 > > I find that changing user information in Entourage automatically > changes user ...

Select Worksheets With Keyboard
This is a multi-part message in MIME format. ------=_NextPart_000_0030_01C63637.C3039190 Content-Type: text/plain; charset="Windows-1252" Content-Transfer-Encoding: quoted-printable Hello, All! If a workbook contains multiple worksheets, can worksheets be selected = using the keyboard without clicking on the sheet tab using the mouse? Thanks in advance! --=20 ------=_NextPart_000_0030_01C63637.C3039190 Content-Type: text/html; charset="Windows-1252" Content-Transfer-Encoding: quoted-printable <!DOCTYPE HTML PUBLIC "-//W3C//DTD HTML 4.0 Transitional//EN"...

Collocate previously protected data..
I have a lot of partitions that I would like to clean up to just a few (I understand the data type restrictions) in DPM 2010 RC. I have migrated from DPM 2007 which did not have the collocate ability. The question is can I mark the data as inactive and join it to a new protection group and collocate it that way? Or must it remain as currently configured? Yes you can use collocation when creating the new protection group. The older recovery points will automatically get pruned. Once all the recovery points on the inactive replica expire older replica/shadowcopy volume...

Trendline excluding last 2 data points of series
Me again with more charting questions! I have a column chart showing 6 months actual sales for a product followed by the next two months forecast figures. I want to show a trendline based only on the 6 months actual sales i.e. the trend should not take into account our forecast. The trendline I normally use is a linear trend. Is there a way to do this? Two ways to do it fairly easily have a data set without your forecast. Plot it , set line and symbol to none select the legend line it is on and clear all. set the trendline on this set. calculate the best fit equation for the d...

Edit a worksheet command button
Using 2003 - I have inherited a workbook that has various command buttons on the worksheets. The buttons are attached to a macro. I need to edit the buttons but I can't seem to get the button into the edit mode. How do I do that? Glen If they're commandbuttons from the Control toolbox toolbar, then show that toolbar: View|Toolbars|Control Toolbox Then click on the Design mode icon. Do the work and click on that design mode icon once more to get back to normal. "glen.e.mettler@lmco.com" wrote: > > Using 2003 - I have inherited a workbook that has various comma...

Removing links to other worksheets from within a workbook
I have developed a 400-worksheet workbook and during its evolution I have copied some cells from other worksheets. This has created references to other worksheets that no longer exist, so whenever I open the workbook I get the annoying messages relating to "links not found". I am using Excel 2002. When I select Edit/Links then it shows the offending 4 non-existent spreadsheets but I cannot locate the cells that reference them. When I use the Edit/Find and select Options/Within-Workbook to try to locate the spreadsheet references to these non-existent spreadsheets, no cell refe...

Charting with dynamic data
All, I am creating a chart which is based on multiple columns worth of data. The problem is that the amount of rows changes and I have to be able to handle that programmaticaly. In other words, if the amount of rows was constant somewhere in my sub I would have something like: ..Chart.SetSourceData Source:=Sheets("NameGoesHere").Range("A2:A5, F2:H5") 'where the Range A2:A5 contains names that goes to label the X-axis. 'And F2:H5 represents the data for each name in A2:A5. No problem. However, I need that range to vary. I was hoping something like this ...

inputing data using vba
this code imports data (and creates a problem as when i delete the data the cell's cannot be imported to again) Range("A6").Select With ActiveSheet.QueryTables.Add(Connection:= _ "TEXT;C:\Documents and Settings\wardell son\Desktop\agw8_1", Destination:= _ Range("A6")) .Name = "agw8_1" .FieldNames = True .RowNumbers = False .FillAdjacentFormulas = False .PreserveFormatting = True .RefreshOnFileOpen = False .RefreshStyle = xlInsertDeleteCells .SavePassword = False ...

How can DSUM give me specific data?
How can DSUM give me specific data? MAB126 50 MAB1261 100 When I add MAB126 in the DSUM field, it sums the two for a total of 150. In your criteria region, use ="=MAB126" instead of MAB126 Cordially, Chip Pearson Microsoft MVP 1998 - 2010 Pearson Software Consulting, LLC www.cpearson.com [email on web site] On Mon, 4 Jan 2010 14:11:01 -0800, evergreenstar <evergreenstar@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote: >How can DSUM give me specific data? > >MAB126 50 >MAB1261 100 > >When I add MAB126 in the DSUM field, ...

Copy from Excel and pate into Word, automatically
Hello, I would like to create a button in Excel and this button is supposed to have the ability to copy cells which contains name and address, and paste it into a specific place in a specific file which has been opened in Word. Is this possible. Any help at all is much appreciated, thank you in advance. I have latest Excel and Word installed. Hi Frallan. Try the following... Option Explicit Sub PasteToWord() Dim AppWord As Word.Application Set AppWord = CreateObject("Word.Application") AppWord.Visible = True ' Change the range to suit your needs. S...

extract certain data for reports page
hi i am trying to build a program for basic accounting based on an ol dos program which i used to own 12 years ago! i cant find it anymore so im trying to build this program in excel an i have most of the work done but i need help sorting the basic data all the framework is there for inputing the data around a cashboo principle using item codes as keys for manipulating the data later on trouble is i dont know how to do the manipulating to get the seperat data out and sorted email me at al.foster@gmx.co.uk and ill give you details if you interested in helping me out thanks heres a picture o...

Data labels in X,Y Scatter Diagram
Is there a way for the data points in an X,Y scatter diagram to be linked to another column in Excel? I want my data points to be labeled something other than X,Y and manually changing them takes too much time. Thx XY Chart labeler (www.appspro.com) Chart Tools (www.j-walk.com) -- Regards, Tushar Mehta www.tushar-mehta.com Excel, PowerPoint, and VBA add-ins, tutorials Custom MS Office productivity solutions In article <974CFA65-C46D-4C27-99E5-FCD08DC172C7@microsoft.com>, Chad@discussions.microsoft.com says... > Is there a way for the data points in an X,Y scatter diagram to ...

Ref cell in another worksheet
Hi All Sorry for the very basic question. I have several worksheets in a workbook and have named the first sheet 'Info'. This sheet holds such data as 'contract number' and 'user name'..... This data is required on all the other sheets but i would like to just reference the data from the 'Info' sheet What do i have to enter on the other sheets so that this info only has to be entered on the 'Info' sheet How do i reference this data/info from the 'Info' sheet in the header/footer of printed sheets Thanks for any/all help Sal Select the sheet...

Using INDIRECT in named range for chart data series
I recently read a post that described how to use the indirect function to define named ranges for a chart series. I attempted to do the same, but still get a message from the data series editor that my formula contains an invalid reference. This is the formula for the series: =SERIES("Load",Data!Time,Data!Load,1) and Time is defined in the Data worksheet as: =INDIRECT(Data!$Q$10):INDIRECT(Data!$Q$11) Load is defined as: =INDIRECT(Data!$Q$6):INDIRECT(Data!$Q$7) Where the values in Q6, Q7, Q10, and Q11 refer to the desired starting and ending addresses of the seri...

Seiko Men's Automatic Goldtone Gold Dial Watch #SNXJ94
Price:$225.00 Image: http://bestdeallocator.info/image.php?id=B000G2BAB0 Best deal: http://bestdeallocator.info/index.php?id=B000G2BAB0 I ordered this watch, as my last one (Croton) that I ordered elsewhere stopped working in a short amount of time. I love my new Seiko watch---it's comfortable, looks great and keeps great time. Hey-o, Ron Burgundy here... this is the definitive watch of choice. No part-timers here, this is the real deal. Do you know how many Buick Regals a guy has to sell to afford this symbol of sexual status?? Many. Don't buy this watch unless you have ...

Resize chart data label
Hi, I have chart data labels that are displaying as one line in Excel but push over into two lines when paste/linked into a PowerPoint slide. Is there some way to force the labels to stay on one line? And as a general matter, is it possible to manipulate the size of the box containing the data label at all? I can select it but can't seem to resize manually. I also looked for info on this in VBA help but couldn't find anything. Any help would be appreciated. Kind regards, Don Don - You cannot resize a data label, an axis title, or a chart title, even though it looks like a...

automatically move to the next field
I have 5 combo boxes on 3 separate tab controls. After answering a question I would like the cursor to automatically go to the next combo field. How do I do this. Also after answering the 5th question on the first tab control can the cursor go to the next question on the 2nd tab control? Thanks for the help in advance. Tom You need to set the focus to a text box in that TAB Me.[TextBoxName].SetFocus You can use the AfterUpdate event or LostFocus event of the combo you want to move from, to the text box using the above line. "Tom Tripicchio" <fuzzytrip@prodigy.net> w...

Why was "data source" link added?
I did not add any links. Yet suddenly, I started getting messages about a data source link. The link was to ATPVBAEN.XLA. I use a lot of XIRR functions but never before had the link. I broke the link and there does not seem to be any ill effect. What could have caused the link to be added? "Howard Kaikow" <kaikow@standards.com> wrote in message news:ehE4h6FvIHA.2064@TK2MSFTNGP05.phx.gbl... > I did not add any links. > Yet suddenly, I started getting messages about a data source link. > > The link was to ATPVBAEN.XLA. > I use a lot of XIRR functions but neve...

Putting data tables with charts
I am wondering if anyone knows how to add a totaled table to the bottom of a chart. I know how to do the data table but my boss only wants the totals, not the other detailed information. I tried to do a copy/paste but it actually adds the information to the chart and I don't want the information added to the actual chart. Instead of a data table, you could use one of the alternative techniques that Tushar Mehta describes here: http://tushar-mehta.com/excel/newsgroups/data_table/index.htm Jaxxplace wrote: > I am wondering if anyone knows how to add a totaled table to the bott...

Error message for data table
I tried to change a data table and now I cannot get the information that was there before or move on I am using a school lab from and everytime I try to reopen Excel it takes me dirrectly to the page with the error. So I need to know how to get it to let me refresh or delete the data table and start over. Hi, I think you need to contact the administrator of the lab. Cheers Andy -- Andy Pope, Microsoft MVP - Excel http://www.andypope.info "Abigail" <Abigail@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:C19ED7B6-8EDA-4549-A98D-8C85093C3327@microsoft.com... >I tri...