How many characters per cell

How many characters can you fit into one cell.

We are having a problem with text being cut off when printing, but i
shows up when viewing on either Print Preview or normal view

--
aletoconstc
aletoconstco's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php?action=getinfo&userid=3533

excel 39879 articles. 2 followers. Follow

Excel Help on "limits" or "specifications" reveals that Excel will allow
32,767 characters to be entered in a cell.

However, it goes on to state that "only 1024 characters will be visible or can
be printed"

To work around this limitation, stick a few ALT + ENTERs in at appropriate
spots, about every 100 characters..

The ALT + ENTER forces a line-feed and expands the 1024 limit.

How far is not really known.  Just experiment.

.........From Dave Peterson..........

I put this formula in A1:
="xxx"& REPT(REPT("asdf ",25)&CHAR(10),58)&"yyy"

And adjusted the columnwidth, rowheight and font size and I got about 7300
characters to print ok.

.........End Dave P.................

Failing that, use a Text Box to store the text or MS Word which is a word
processing application, unlike Excel which is not.

Gord Dibben Excel MVP

On Mon, 19 Jun 2006 13:03:57 -0500, aletoconstco
<aletoconstco.29nvio_1150740606.1154@excelforum-nospam.com> wrote:

>How many characters can you fit into one cell.
>
>We are having a problem with text being cut off when printing, but it
>shows up when viewing on either Print Preview or normal view.

Gord Dibben  MS Excel MVP
0
Gord

Select multiple adjacent cells of multiple cells without selecting
Select multiple adjacent cells of multiple cells without selecting adjacent cells one by one. those cells looks like; |Column A1 |Column A2| |random characters | A | |sjsjsjsjskkskskskk | B | |wtwuwuwuuusisis | A | |wuuuuusiwuwuwiu| A | |euuuuuuuuuuuuuuu| B | I am trying to select A1 cells that's adjacent of A2 cells without selecting A1 cells one by one. Thank you for your help. I am trying to select A1 cells that's adjacent of "B" cells without selecting A1 cells one by one > I...

date as number not a text cell
Hi, I have problem with date format. I have created file with two sheets Data are tranfered from one sheet to the other by macro. The cell H3 i the first sheet as well as the columne C in the second sheet ar formated as a date dd-mm-yyyy (format>cell>date). In fact at the firs glace everything looks OK, however although the above format ofth cells they are treated as a text not a number calculating days sinc 1900-Jan-0. How in easy way to make them numbers. Regional setting i my computer is yyyy-mm-dd, but the file will be filled on by severa people from defferent computers with differen...

I have opened an Excel file and I can't edit any cell
Please post any questions in the body of the message this is considered rude http://www.cpearson.com/excel/newposte.htm Are the sheets protected? -- Regards, Peo Sjoblom Tools > Protection > unprotect worksheet But you will need a password Cheers peterm "Elise0" wrote: > ...

Coloring cells using VBA in excel
I have drop downs on some cells - i have the code below that is meant to color the drop down cell once set by the user - which i does. However, I want to be able to 'reset' all my drop downs to 'blank' and clear the exisiting colorising - I have been using -Range("B4:J33").Value = ""- to clear the cells, but that triggers an error in the colorising code below - I get a runtime error 13 that points to the first Case "Dan" statement Any help on achiving my aim would be great. Thanks Code below Private Sub Worksheet_Change(ByVal ...

Using COUNTIF (specific cells over multiple sheets) � can anyone help?
Hi I�d be really grateful if someone could assist me in how to �formula the below: I have twelve identically formatted worksheets (�A� through to �J�) In each of the cells B6:F6, B10:F10, B14:F14, B18:F18 & B22:F22 on eac sheet there will be a different one of 5 words (each word can and wil occur more than once within the above range). For the purpose of thi exercise I need to ignore the text in the other rows (eg 7-9, 11-1 etc). What I need to tally on a separate sheet within the workbook is ho many times each of the five words occur in the group above (eg B6:F6 B10:F10, B14:F14, B...

Search for Square Characters
Someone has asked me to go through a very large Excel document and remove all of the square characters. I don't know how they got there, but they are Arial font and they appear at the end of some sentences after periods. Sometimes there is one, sometimes there are two. Is there some way I can do this more quickly? Any help is appreciated. Use the CLEAN function. Insert a column next to the column containing the square characters (these are unprintable characters, probably line breaks), and enter =CLEAN(A1) where A1 is the first cell with the unprintable characters. Copy this form...

Outlook 2003 hang with Attachment file name with Chinese characters
Dear all, We have a problem with our Outlook 2003 hang problem and wish to get any help from you. Our Organization running MS Exchnge 2003 with a clustered Exch mailbox server and a FE at DMZ for OWA, OMA, RPC/HTTPS and other services. users within the LAN use Outlook 2003 with cache mode. Remote users is either use Outlook RPC/HTTPS or OWA. A lot of remote users located at China and using chinese XP and outlook. A lot of users in LAN complaint that outlook hang whenever email sent by remote users with attachment file with chinese character. The log as follow Event Type: Error Eve...

Clearing the Contents of Merged Cells
How would I implement VBA to clear the contents of a range that contains merged cells? The following code results in a runtime error '1004' : "Cannot change part of a merged cell." ***************************************************** If Union(ActiveCell, Range("ProbArea")).Address = Range("ProbArea").Address Then Ans = MsgBox("Do you want to CLEAR the contents of CURRENTLY SELECTED CELL'S ROW?", vbYesNo) If Ans = vbNo Then Exit Sub End If If Ans = vbYes Then Application....

Pivot Table (blank) Cells
Can I remove the '(blank)' entry that appears in pivot table cells that have no contents? Thanks Select one of the cells with (blank) in it. Hit the space bar and hit enter. This is really replacing the (blank) with a single space character. koala824 at Comcast wrote: > > Can I remove the '(blank)' entry that appears in pivot table cells that have > no contents? Thanks -- Dave Peterson Pretty slick. Works great, even if I cannot follow the programming logic of it all. My mindset never considered actually editing the contents of a pivot ...

How do I make rows expand to fit wrapped text in cells?
I am submitting a grant which must be done in Excel. The grant was originally written in Word, and I am cutting and pasting, a paragraph at a time, into Excel. When I do Format -> Row -> Autofit, it shrinks the cell to one line, regardless of how many lines of wrapped text are in there. I'm on a deadline and really need help fast... If you have a lot to convert, I'd save the original word file as a text file and then open that into excel. I'd use the "DELIMITED" choice and ensure that all of the delimiters are turned off. Once you have the data in excel...

Changing many charts in one worksheet
I have a worksheet with over 100 similar small datatables and charts. It has been asked of me that I now chart one more column of data from each table. The data is there and I can record a simple macro to plot the additional series from the first table to the first chart. My question is, how do I get the macro to go to the next table and plot the additional data to the next chart. The data is always in the same column, different rows. I tested this simple macro on a worksheet with three charts. Each used data from B:D to populate two series and there was additional data in E. The m...

Tabs within table cells
Hi, folks. I am having trouble setting tab stops within a table cell. I set the tabs, use option-tab to move text, and then the text moves with no seeming relation to the tabs. I've checked paragraph alignment, and everything else I can think of. I'm using Office X. Anybody got any ideas? Thanks, all. Jeff ...

Using vlookup against blank cell
I am using vlookup to return values (lets say values A-I) based on other values (Values 1-10) in column A. Sometimes there is no value in column A and I'd like vlookup to return a value "blank cell" or whatever I define. Right now blank cells return N/A. I am guessing there is something simply I can do there. Thanks in advance bmac One way: =IF(ISNA(MATCH(J1,A:A,FALSE)),"blank cell",VLOOKUP(J1,A:B,2,FALSE)) In article <#2YO5vFFIHA.4752@TK2MSFTNGP04.phx.gbl>, "bam" <bartmacl@yahoo.com> wrote: > I am using vlookup to return values (...

Converting time formatted cells
Hi, I would like to convert time/hour formatted cells to days. For example: 11:47:00 17:12:00 to 1 day, 4 hours, 59 minutes How can I do this? Basically I am trying to add up time formatted cells so I can calculat the total number of days, hours and minutes from, for example cell C to C31. I am using Excel 2003 v11. Thanks : -- Message posted from http://www.ExcelForum.com I'm drawing a blank on how to do this with a shorter formula, but this should do: =INT(SUM(C2:C31))&" days, "&INT((SUM(C2:C31)-INT(SUM (C2:C31)))*24)&" hours, "&ROUND(((S...

change a cell colour when entering a letter
I am working in excel 2000, and I need to know how to change a colour of a cell when I enter a letter. Ie, if I put y for yes in a cell, I want to change that cell to say red. Use "Conditional Formatting" Click on the cell, do Format > ConditionalFormatting > CellValueIs > EqualTo > Y > FormatButton > PatternsTab > choose red color block > OK > OK Vaya con Dios, Chuck, CABGx3 "paul42770" <paul42770@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:07A6CCBF-7ECE-4507-AA29-C914FEA012EF@microsoft.com... > I am working in excel 2000, a...

4 postcards per page in publisher 2007
For years I have been creating 4-up two sided postcards with Publisher 2003. I cannot find a way to do this. Mary Sauer answered a question that helped somewhat, using Avery 3263 but I cannot get it to duplex or switch to landscape. I think this is a big disadvantage to the new release. Can anyone help. Thank you. Can you setup your printer for landscape? Usually Publisher will go along with the printer setup. If you are merging you will not have a duplex option or if you do there maybe a message about too many pages. Is your printer driver current? I have no problems with setting up po...

MS Excel Cells
can i split a single cell in excel diagonally and put type in each side ? Short answer is no. But you can fake a lot of things http://groups.google.com/groups?threadm=jemcgimpsey-32EEF4.06432707022004@msnews.microsoft.com --- HTH, David McRitchie, Microsoft MVP - Excel [site changed Nov. 2001] My Excel Pages: http://www.mvps.org/dmcritchie/excel/excel.htm Search Page: http://www.mvps.org/dmcritchie/excel/search.htm "Ddman" <Ddman@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:B6E85364-9...

Can a cell be turned on or off?
A1=B1*C1+D1 A2=B2*C2+D2 A3=B3*C3+D3 A4=B4*B4+B4 I would like to be able the have the total in any one of the A cells to add up only if the cell is click on. In other words, can a cell be turned off or on as needed? -- Joe Right click sheet tab>view code>insert this Private Sub Worksheet_BeforeDoubleClick _ (ByVal Target As Range, Cancel As Boolean) If Target.Column <> 1 Then Exit Sub 'B1*C1+D1 tr = Target.Row Target.Value = Cells(tr, 2) * _ (Cells(tr, 3) + Cells(tr, 4)) End Sub -- Don Guillett Microsoft MVP Excel SalesAid Software dguillett@g...

Count max consecutive cells
Col A Col B ColC Col D Col E Col F Col G Col H Row1 . . . x . . 3 Row2 x x . x . . 2 Row3 . . . . . 5 Row4 . . H x x 3 Ineed to find a formula that will count the maximum number of times "." and/or "H" appears in a row. In...

Reading a cell based on a vairable
Hello, I am trying to do something really simple, but getting a bit stuck. I have sheet1 with a unique list of names, and sheet2 with a list of the same names (not unique) and a number next to then. I would like to go down the list in sheet1, and put a total next to the name, from all the entries in sheet2 which match. The first thing I want to do, is read the contents of cell A1 into a variable. I need to do it in a loop though, so I need to reference the cell via this. How can I do something like: variable = cell( a, rowNum) (where "variable" and "rowNum" are variabl...

formatt cells
Can you format so that all you do is type in the info into the cell and it will show formatted the way you need it to. Eg. when you type in 8987 you can formatt the cell to reflect 89 87 with a space. Can you formatt to reflect a decimal place with any letter to begin with? So if I type P569 it willl be reflected in the cell to show P56.9?(the letter in front is always different) Hi tmarta! For 12 56 Custom format ## ## I don't think you can achieve a variable prefix letter format. -- Regards Norman Harker MVP (Excel) Sydney, Australia njharker@optusnet.com.au Excel and Word F...

Userform input for cell range
Hey everyone. I am trying to create a pretty simple macro in Excel. I have a decent amount of experience with VBA, but very limited amount with userforms. I won't bore you guys with the details of my macro, so I'll just cut to the chase. Basically, I have the userform set up with two text boxes for input. The user is supposed to input a starting cell index and an ending cell index, to indicate the range of cells that the program needs to work with. For example, if the user entered "A14" in the first box and "A43" in the second, the range would be "A14:A43&quo...

macro to merge two table cells?
I've trying unsuccessfully to record a macro that will merge a table cell with the cell to the right of it. Could anyone suggest code that would do this? Sub MergeCellToRight() Dim oRng As Range Dim oCell As Cell Dim i As Long Set oCell = Selection.Cells(1) If oCell.ColumnIndex = Selection.Rows(1).Cells.Count Then MsgBox "There is no cell to the right?", vbCritical, "Error" Exit Sub End If Set oRng = oCell.Range oRng.MoveEnd wdCell, 1 oRng.Cells.Merge oCell.Select Selection.Collapse wdCollapseStart End Sub will merge the cell containing ...

how can deactive cells to input data
help me plz if you see one of the templates like balance sheet in excel some of the cells are deactived and users just input data in special cells. so how can I deactive cells that users can not input data? thanks a million Hi Kaveh! No need to post to more than one group and be aware that it can take several minutes for a post to "arrive" at the group. By default all cells in a worksheet are formatted as locked with the lock implemented by imposing protection using the Tools > Protection menu. First select the cells that you want users to have access to. Format > Cells ...

Advanced Find not finding all
"Advanced Find" in Outlook 2007 is not finding all email messages which match the criteria. It finds between 30 and 200 and then stops. I then have to work with those (e.g., delete them) and then click "Find Now" again to find another batch, dozens of times! What is wrong? How do I fix this and find all messages that match the criteria? My typical application is to split the entire contents of my .pst files by date. Do do this I make a copy of the file. In one I delete all messages older than the cutoff date (e.g., 1/1/2007), and in the other I delete all messages yo...