How? Granting elevated privileges to a web service / kill a process

I need to be able to kill a process programmatically under ASP.NET.  IIS
runs under the local system account. The user accessing the web is using
anonymous access.

We would prefer NOT to grant elevated security to the proxy used for
anonymous access. Is there a way to either establish a temporary
security context, programmatically for the .NET Framework Process.Kill
to operate under? Or perhaps a way to give the compiled binary produced
this privilege? We may be willing to hard code a username credential in
code in order to help limit the broad scope assignment of privileges.

The need for this comes from what I believe to be a bug in EXCEL. We use
automation in ASP.NET code. We wind everything down, call the various
closes, and release all references, but we find the web server to be
soon littered with many orphaned EXCEL processes. One for each instance
made via automation.

We have developed an approach to see the new EXCEL process being created
at the very moment we instance EXCEL, and track the PID. When we have
done absolutely everything we can to release the workbook, and close
EXCEL, and it still has not gone away, then we kill the process. This
has worked in many contexts, but falls on its face in an ASP.NET
webservice due to the fact that it has insufficient privileges.

Thanks for your help. Best regards - Lee Gillie, Spokane WA
0
Lee8859 (2)
5/12/2005 6:21:02 PM
excel 39879 articles. 2 followers. Follow

He Lee,

It seems to me that you'd want to create a special password-protected page
and implement impersonation for that page. The impersonation would use the
ID/password of an account that has sufficient privileges (admin?) to execute
Process.Kill.

http://msdn.microsoft.com/library/default.asp?url=/library/en-us/vsent7/html/vxconimpersonation.asp

The account will have to have broad permissions:

"SecurityPermission for calling any members of System.Diagnostic.Process
with full trust. Associated enumeration: PermissionState.Unrestricted "

"Lee Gillie" <Lee@nospam.odp.com> wrote in message
>I need to be able to kill a process programmatically under ASP.NET.  IIS
>runs under the local system account. The user accessing the web is using
>anonymous access.
>
> We would prefer NOT to grant elevated security to the proxy used for
> anonymous access. Is there a way to either establish a temporary security
> context, programmatically for the .NET Framework Process.Kill to operate
> under? Or perhaps a way to give the compiled binary produced this
> privilege? We may be willing to hard code a username credential in code in
> order to help limit the broad scope assignment of privileges.
>
> The need for this comes from what I believe to be a bug in EXCEL. We use
> automation in ASP.NET code. We wind everything down, call the various
> closes, and release all references, but we find the web server to be soon
> littered with many orphaned EXCEL processes. One for each instance made
> via automation.
>
> We have developed an approach to see the new EXCEL process being created
> at the very moment we instance EXCEL, and track the PID. When we have done
> absolutely everything we can to release the workbook, and close EXCEL, and
> it still has not gone away, then we kill the process. This has worked in
> many contexts, but falls on its face in an ASP.NET webservice due to the
> fact that it has insufficient privileges.
>
> Thanks for your help. Best regards - Lee Gillie, Spokane WA

Indexing Service filter daemon has encountered a problem in CRM 3.
Since installing the CRM Client earlier today I have had about 10 boxes come up saying “Indexing Service filter daemon has encountered a problem and needs to close. We are sorry for the inconvenience” and sending a problem report off to Microsoft. Is this a known issue? Thanks John ...

Great Plains Field Service
Hi, I'm working with a client right now who would like me to provide an onverview of Great Plains Field Service. Can anyoner provide me with any top level overview documents and an idea of pricing ? Any help will be appreciated. I have a lot of information on Field Service for Great Plains - the software does a great job for my clients, but is rather pricey to purchase and install. There are many items to consider when looking at Field Service: What type of industry is your client in? Will your be accepting and repairing parts and inventory? Do your client's client's have servi...

Great Plains:Field Service module:changing the content of the paged message
Hello, We are using MS Dynamics field service module. The service call entry program allows us to page technicians through this program. It provides us with a set format which we change manually. I am wondering if we can change this format automatically through some setup changes. Please help! Thanks, Atul EggHeadCafe.com - .NET Developer Portal of Choice http://www.eggheadcafe.com The message for the page is located in the Stored Procedure: SVC_Generate_Page_Msg. You could customize this format as you need to. -- Gary Neumann Field Service Series Designer/Architect "Atul K&quo...

Web mail error.
I keep getting indications that my Outlook Web mail is not responding,(hangs). When I check the event log on the mail server,( which also has the IIS server) I see the following error message,(below). No changes have been made to the server for several months..I checked the user account and the password is not expired or set to expire. The mail server is also my domain controller. I also use SSL for our web mail connections. ie... https://mail.myserver.com Any help or direction would be greatly appreciated! Event Type: Warning Event Source: W3SVC Event Category: None Event ID: 100 Da...

Locksmith Los Angeles1-877-364-5264 Locks Installation Rekey Lockout Services
Locksmith Los Angeles1-877-364-5264 Locks Installation Rekey Lockout Services Los Angeles Locksmth locksmith services, emergency locksmith, car locksmith, auto locksmith, lock picking, locks and keys, rekeying door locks, office locksmith, apartments building locksmith, locks chnage, locksmith tools, locksmith service, rekey, find locksmith, 24 hour locksmith, locked out, lockout, unlock, open,keys,rekeying,locksmith Los Angeles,locksmith keys,locksmith locks, home, office, safe, door, gate, install, repair, installtion, garage door openers, mailbox locks, cylinders, file cabinets locks, deadb...

8.0 Service Packs incremental or cumulative?
I have a Great Plains 8.0 installation that has been updated with Service Pack 1. I want to upgrade to Service Pack 3. Do I need to apply Service Pack 2, prior to applying Service Pack 3? Does Service Pack 3 include all the updates made in Service Pack 2? Steve, All GP service packs are cumulative, you should be able to go straight to SP 3 from SP 1. -- Victoria Yudin Microsoft MVP - Great Plains "Steve C." <Steve C.@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:12B60579-8C95-44F6-BA4E-A151885EE440@microsoft.com... >I have a Great Plains 8.0 installation th...

Privileges Question
I have created a custom entity called RGAs for our Return Goods Authorization system. This custom entity is a one-to-many relationship with the account being the primary entity. We have also created a custom role for our regional sales people the basically limits the data they synchronize with to only be the data they own. All accounts 'owned' by the user will be visible to the user while off-line. Any contact or quote that gets created by someone else under that users owned account also shows up while off-line. The new RGA entity however does not. I have the read privileg...

Messages processed multiple times
We have an Exchange 2003 server, and are running Outlook 2000 for the desktops. One certain user is having email sent out multiple times. It doesn't happen with all of them, but usually with an attachment like Excel or Word. I don't see the messages appearing multiple times in the Sent folder. What can be causing this problem? ...

web links in Outlook
Since installing Outlook 2003, I've lost the ability to click on web links imbedded in an e-mail, and have the link connect to Explorer. Yet, when adding the web tool bar, I do have the ability to go directly to a home page...so the Explorer connection is there. So the problem appears to be getting Outlook to recognize http links in e-mails. How do I get this back? Help please. Thanks. tim <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote: > Since installing Outlook 2003, I've lost the ability to > click on web links imbedded in an e-mail, and have the > link connect t...

Web Access 09-22-06
We have been working on enabling Web Access to the CRM, does anyone have any guides or suggestion to make an existing install a 128bit secured one? What problems are you running into? Basically if you publish a SSL certificate in IIS, set a port for https access to CRM in IIS, and make sure your firewall permits traffic on that port, you should be good. -- Matt Wittemann, CRM MVP http://icu-mscrm.blogspot.com "deh" wrote: > We have been working on enabling Web Access to the CRM, does anyone have any > guides or suggestion to make an existing install a 128bit secured on...

Web import from Access database
I know this is an ASP problem, but I don't do asp and I only need to know if something is possible from ASP. We supply Clients with an Access database (on CD) for each survey that we carry out for them. The CD also includes a folder of photographs for the sample points within the survey. Only the path to the photo is stored in the database. Note that subsequent surveys can be imported into this database. Our client has replicated the structure as a web application, and needs to import data and photos from subsequent surveys that we do for them. This functionality works fine in...

Service pack upgrade
Hi all, I'm trying to migrate from GP 8.0 SP2 to SP5. I have customized screen for sales transaction entry. When i upgraded and tested it, i ended up with the issue of invoice not posting. Which was working correctly before the upgrade. Any thoughts could help me to solve it. Can anybody put your suggestions? Thanks for you support. Can you provide more details. 1.) Were you able to transfer all your customizations to the upgraded one - from screen, code, reports and tables ? 2.) During the upgrade, have you encountered problems? 3.) When you say not posting, are there any error re...

Restricted Stock Grant #2
In Jan '08 I received Restricted Stock Grant from my employer which vest over 3 years. I searched through MSMoney help and was unable to find any assistance on how to enter stock grants. So I would like to document how I think I will have to enter the grant myself and get feedback from members on this group who know much more than me about MSMoney... 1) Enter the total number of shares granted as a stock option with 3 year vesting with a cost basis of $0. 2) Each year 1/3 of them vest and I will be taxed on that portion as ordinary income. At this point I have 2 choices: 3a) Have ...

Getting Error when trying to open the deafult web page of MS CRM 4
When I try to open deafult web page of MS CRM 4.0 i am getting the following error The requested recod was not found or you do not have sufficient permissions to view it. I am logged in as the network admin account, (the account which installed MSCRM) everything else appears to be in order. Any suggestions? I am also getting the same error. Any insight would be greatly appreciated. Thank you, -Chris Smeraglinolo "Karthik-" wrote: > When I try to open default web page of MS CRM 4.0 i am getting the following > error > > The requested record was not found...

How to write custom serialization method in C# web service
Hi, I have a C# web service client that talks to a JAVA application sever. I use AXIS to generate the WSDL file, use wsdl.exe to generate proxy stub c# code. When I try to use c# client connect to application server, I did not get the result in the C# client side, I used a soap monitor to look at the SOAP messages that were exchanged, I can see server returned a correct SOAP message, but the C# client failed to deserialize the XML result back to the C# object. I wonder if there is a way to write a custom XML deserializer to populate the result back to C# object. The serialization part seemed...

how to delete "Lists" tab from the left pane of project web access
I have created a document library in PWA page . In the left pane there is new document library under the Lists title with the name of EPM Support. but after 5 minutes i have deleted this one . but Lists title is still there. how can i delete this "Lists" . Kindly reply me soon. ...

Cannot access Remote Web Workplace using non-uPnP router
Hi, I have a SBS 2003 server, with one NIC behind a collective router. Previously, I used a Netgear consumer router. This router was able to be configured by the CEICW wizard in SBS via UPnP, and I was able to use Remote Web Workplace just fine. We moved offices and could no longer use that router. So I had to change to a router that does not seem to be configurable via PnP in SBS. So I took the option of opening the ports manually, and told CEICW I didnt want it to configure the router. I opened 4125, 444, 443, and 3389 to both TCP and UDP and pointed them towards the server...

Refresh on Service Calendar
Hi, I have updated the version of CRM to version 4.0 from version 3.0 The problem I have it in both IE6 and in IE7: From the calendar service, I view the activities,... and now, for example, I open an activity from the calendar, I change the date, and, at least before, the schedule was updated directly, now, until it is updated often takes up to 40 minutes!. As it could fix it? Where is the problem? If anyone can help me I would appreciate. A greeting. On 19 nov, 17:14, aekschoko <aeksch...@gmail.com> wrote: > Hi, > I have updated the version of CRM to version 4.0 from version...

Accessing Web Service through a Proxy.
Hello, I have an unmanaged VC7 app (ActiveX control implemented using MFC) calling a C# dotnet service. I'm using the VS2003 generated proxy class derived from CSoapSocketClientT. The activeX control works fine but when used through a proxy that requires authentication I end up getting 407 error. I tried using authentication schemes as suggested in most of the threads. CAtlHttpClient& httpClient = webserviceInst.m_socket; CSampleBasicAuth basicAuth; httpClient.AddAuthObj(_T("BASIC"), &basicAuth, &basicAuth); CNTLMAuthObject ntlmAuth; httpClient.AddAuthObj(_T("...

Service Pack 1 Update problem...
I have Vista Home Premium 32-bit OS. I possibly want to upgrade to Windows 7 equivalent. Here's my dilemma: I installed Service Pack 1 via Windows website download manager, and after a fashion, it appeared to have installed and it rebooted my system. It clearly shows as having been installed according to Windows Update History. [Additionally, Service Pack 2 is not offered as a download, but the rest of my query, please.] HOWEVER, according to Microsoft, when I click START > right click COMPUTER, at the top of that resulting page and beneath my version of Vista it sh...

Service section of CRM 3.0
Hello. My question involves working with the Service section of CRM. I am fairly new to the whole CRM system but up to now, going through Sales and Marketing I haven't been to mind-boggled. I am trying to create a new case and link it to a contract through the options that are available by default in the New Case form view. For some reason, when I go to look-up the contract for a particular case I don't return any results. Why??? Basically I'm asking is there any information out there that walks you through the Service section of CRM, else can someone give me a quick ...

Outlook Web LOADNING....
Windows 2000 Server Exchange 2003 SP1 IE 6 When I log onto Outlook web it shows loading... Used to work until a couple of months ago. Works fine with other browsers.. On Thu, 15 Sep 2005 07:08:02 -0700, "Trez" <Trez@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote: >Windows 2000 Server >Exchange 2003 SP1 >IE 6 > >When I log onto Outlook web it shows loading... > >Used to work until a couple of months ago. Works fine with other browsers.. > http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=280823 "Troubleshooting OWA when the contents frame displays Loading" ...

Iwebs 1.3- Free Open Source Web Publishing platform for bloggers and Website builders released today.
Iwebs 1.3- Free Open Source Web Publishing platform for bloggers and Website builders released today. Iwebs 1.3 with new features and themes and layouts can be downloaded here. - http://webs.investorline.co.in/2008/09/download-iwebs/ Updates & Features =96 =95 New Theme =96 Strict - The Conceditor WP Strict Theme is free theme for the Iwebs & Wordpress Community to use as see fit. Modify it, change it, colorize it . Theme designed by - Conceditor Media =95 Themes updated for Google Adsense/adbrite/Bidvertiser - Ad- clerum-10 , Blogging-pro , Box-tube , Classic ,Darkwater-10 ,WP- D...

export to web page
Excell 2000. The export to web page requires me to unprotect my work sheet - Yet Excel 97 doesn't. It there a way around this? perhaps VB. I need always use the feature infront of customers, and inputting passwords is not a good idea. --- Message posted from http://www.ExcelForum.com/ ...

Exchange - Outlook Web Access
We are using IE 6.0 & XP Pro on all workstations, most of which have multiple users accessing O.W.A. In some cases the log in information is retained from the original user even after clearing the cache (Cookies and Files) and restarting the workstation. Suggestions? On Mon, 10 Jul 2006 09:51:01 -0700, Marty <Marty@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote: >We are using IE 6.0 & XP Pro on all workstations, most of which have multiple >users accessing O.W.A. In some cases the log in information is retained from >the >original user even after clearing the cache (Cooki...