How do I specify row 1 as header row that is to be printed on every page, regardless of other page setup choices?

I searched MS online help, finding results for such things as "print header
row", but nothing met my needs.

I want to print row 1 as the header row for every page, to be invariant
under changing margins or insertions of rows.  I can figure out how to
insert & print the contents of any given row as the top row of each page  if
everything is invariant, but I failed to find the description of the
procedure to have the contents of the cells of row 1 be the contents of
every first row of every printed page.

I would like to have a description of the steps to achieve this, or the
precise search terms to hit upon the description in the online help.

0
rsl18 (13)
3/1/2007 1:33:15 AM
excel 39879 articles. 2 followers. Follow

http://www.mvps.org/dmcritchie/excel/freeze.htm

Help Topics: use the answer wizard to search on
   repeat at top
(Okay to cheat in finding it because you only asked where)

Specific hits: (among 13)
  Print row and column headings

The answer is under  File, Page Setup,  Sheet
   rows to repeat at top:          1:1
   columns to repeat at left:    A:A

Oops -- online help, hopefully same thing, I'm
using Excel 2000 and it has Help.

I presume you mean the Help replacement that is
online and not all of the Microsoft Knowledge Data Base
So for your version of Excel the help is where?
---
HTH,
David McRitchie, Microsoft MVP - Excel

"R.S.Lynn" <rsl18@sbcglobal.net> wrote in message news:uMAWbG6WHHA.3592@TK2MSFTNGP03.phx.gbl...
> I searched MS online help, finding results for such things as "print header
> row", but nothing met my needs.
>
> I want to print row 1 as the header row for every page, to be invariant
> under changing margins or insertions of rows.  I can figure out how to
> insert & print the contents of any given row as the top row of each page  if
> everything is invariant, but I failed to find the description of the
> procedure to have the contents of the cells of row 1 be the contents of
> every first row of every printed page.
>
> I would like to have a description of the steps to achieve this, or the
> precise search terms to hit upon the description in the online help.

1.  In this forum, is it considered appropriate to reply "thank you" or to
refrain from doing so because it uses bandwidth needed for new queries and
answers?

2.  My Excel is 2003, and I am unaware at this time of any Help files stored
on my HD; all calls on Help are handled by online access.  Is this the way
it always is for the 2003 Small Business Edition OEM?

3.  The File/Page Setup/Sheet path direction worked as you would expect.
Thank You.
"David McRitchie" <dmcritchie_xlmvp@verizon.net> wrote in message
> http://www.mvps.org/dmcritchie/excel/freeze.htm
>
> Help Topics: use the answer wizard to search on
>   repeat at top
> (Okay to cheat in finding it because you only asked where)
>
> Specific hits: (among 13)
>  Print row and column headings
>
> The answer is under  File, Page Setup,  Sheet
>   rows to repeat at top:          1:1
>   columns to repeat at left:    A:A
>
> Oops -- online help, hopefully same thing, I'm
> using Excel 2000 and it has Help.
>
> I presume you mean the Help replacement that is
> online and not all of the Microsoft Knowledge Data Base
> So for your version of Excel the help is where?
> ---
> HTH,
> David McRitchie, Microsoft MVP - Excel
>
> "R.S.Lynn" <rsl18@sbcglobal.net> wrote in message
>> I searched MS online help, finding results for such things as "print
>> header
>> row", but nothing met my needs.
>>
>> I want to print row 1 as the header row for every page, to be invariant
>> under changing margins or insertions of rows.  I can figure out how to
>> insert & print the contents of any given row as the top row of each page
>> if
>> everything is invariant, but I failed to find the description of the
>> procedure to have the contents of the cells of row 1 be the contents of
>> every first row of every printed page.
>>
>> I would like to have a description of the steps to achieve this, or the
>> precise search terms to hit upon the description in the online help.

0
rsl18 (13)
3/5/2007 12:14:53 AM
1.  No objections to offering a thank you if you feel so inclined.  You can snip
most of the excess lines to save bandwidth if you wish.

2.  Have a look at this posting by Gary's Student back in August 2006 about
accessing off-line help files.

http://snipurl.com/19tko

Doesn't provide an Index but does provide just off-line help with contents and
search.

You should find them in C:\Program Files\MS Office\Office11\1033  folder.

Gord Dibben  MS Excel MVP

On Sun, 4 Mar 2007 16:14:53 -0800, "R.S.Lynn" <rsl18@sbcglobal.net> wrote:

>1.  In this forum, is it considered appropriate to reply "thank you" or to
>refrain from doing so because it uses bandwidth needed for new queries and
>answers?
>
>2.  My Excel is 2003, and I am unaware at this time of any Help files stored
>on my HD; all calls on Help are handled by online access.  Is this the way
>it always is for the 2003 Small Business Edition OEM?
>
>3.  The File/Page Setup/Sheet path direction worked as you would expect.
>Thank You.
>"David McRitchie" <dmcritchie_xlmvp@verizon.net> wrote in message
>> http://www.mvps.org/dmcritchie/excel/freeze.htm
>>
>> Help Topics: use the answer wizard to search on
>>   repeat at top
>> (Okay to cheat in finding it because you only asked where)
>>
>> Specific hits: (among 13)
>>  Print row and column headings
>>
>> The answer is under  File, Page Setup,  Sheet
>>   rows to repeat at top:          1:1
>>   columns to repeat at left:    A:A
>>
>> Oops -- online help, hopefully same thing, I'm
>> using Excel 2000 and it has Help.
>>
>> I presume you mean the Help replacement that is
>> online and not all of the Microsoft Knowledge Data Base
>> So for your version of Excel the help is where?
>> ---
>> HTH,
>> David McRitchie, Microsoft MVP - Excel
>> My Excel Pages:  http://www.mvps.org/dmcritchie/excel/excel.htm
>> Search Page:        http://www.mvps.org/dmcritchie/excel/search.htm
>>
>> "R.S.Lynn" <rsl18@sbcglobal.net> wrote in message
>>> I searched MS online help, finding results for such things as "print
>>> header
>>> row", but nothing met my needs.
>>>
>>> I want to print row 1 as the header row for every page, to be invariant
>>> under changing margins or insertions of rows.  I can figure out how to
>>> insert & print the contents of any given row as the top row of each page
>>> if
>>> everything is invariant, but I failed to find the description of the
>>> procedure to have the contents of the cells of row 1 be the contents of
>>> every first row of every printed page.
>>>
>>> I would like to have a description of the steps to achieve this, or the
>>> precise search terms to hit upon the description in the online help.

0
Gord

Max row's available is too small
Hi, I had two questions...I currently have Excel 97 and the maximum row' available is 65000 and some. If I upgrade to the newest version doe this increase? If not, what are some ways you guys go about getting around thi restriction... What i'm going to be doing is using an Add-In from an external sourc that lets me do certain SQL queries....but the data returned from thes queries may easily be larger than 65k rows.... Any ideas? Thanks, Fran -- Message posted from http://www.ExcelForum.com Frank, The maximum number of rows in all versions of Excel since 97 is 65536. There i...

Is there a way I can only print the reply instead of the entire email message
I wonder if there is a way I can only print the reply to an email message, instead of printing the entire message? My choice for selection only seem to be gone with Outlook 2003 printing options. Any help is appreciated.............Peter ...

When printing to large scale plotter, is there a max # of lines/pa
I am having problems with printing to my large plotter. Project seems to have issue when printing 325 lines or more. The plot gets long horizontal lines of different lengths running through my data. When I insert a page break at, for example, line 323, the plot looks fine, but I am getting two pages instead of just one. Has anyone else had this problem? I don't think this is a plotter problem. Almost always, problems related to printing are related to the system or the printer driver. That is because Project is using the system to print. The first thing to check is that...

Customize the Home Page
Is it possible to add a column to the home page which shows Activities Due. I would like to see the contact name or Account Name. Also can you modify the History Windows when you are in an opportunity, I want to easily see when the activity was closed. ...

Cannot print in Portrait
I have a customer who cannot print the Trial Balance Report in Portrait mode even though she has set it to Portrait in the application setting and the printer driver setting. Any ideas? The paper size is A4. You will need to modify the report and change the page orientation on the report definition window to Portrait or Printer Setting. Don't forget to change security to point to the now modified report. David Musgrave [MSFT] Senior Development Consultant Escalation Engineer MBS Support - Asia Pacific Microsoft Business Solutions http://www.microsoft.com/BusinessSolutions mailto:dm...

Outlook Page Breaks
Is there a way to get Outlook to allow page breaks within a message that has been sent to you. Sean <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote: > Is there a way to get Outlook to allow page breaks within > a message that has been sent to you. Page breaks have no meaning in an Email messages. There are no "pages" to separate. (Unless you're attaching a Word document or something similar where pages are meaningful constructs.) -- Brian Tillman Smiths Aerospace 3290 Patterson Ave. SE, MS 1B3 Grand Rapids, MI 49512-1991 Brian.Tillman is the name, smiths-aerospace....

Combining Landscape and Portrait pages in a single document
While it was not possible in Publisher 2003, is there a chance that it is now possible in Publisher 2007 to have a landscape page in a portrait document? ...

Coverting information in rows to colums
Information is in one column many rows. a1 1234 a2 henry a3 jones a4 43 melrose st a5 wallyvile need to transpose this information into seperate colums example column a 1234 column b henry column c jones etc this spreadsheet has over 300 address See the instructions for Vertical to Horizontal Addresses at: http://www.officearticles.com/excel/data_cleanup_tips_for_microsoft_excel.htm ******************* ~Anne Troy www.OfficeArticles.com www.MyExpertsOnline.com "bbc1" <bbc1@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:E004F1FC-A626-4862-96E5-D44464D454FC@microsoft.com...

Opening Home Page with Full Screen
Really stupid question and don't even know where to post it. I have Windows 7. How do I get a full screen (instantly) when clicking on my home page (Yahoo). I shouldn't have to go to View and select Full Screen every time. It just recently started doing this...opening with a small "slit" of a screen. Thanks and sorry if this is the wrong place to post. "Pat" <Pat@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:D6AC04AE-370D-4018-A28E-F5D855BBFC88@microsoft.com... > Really stupid question and don't even know where to post it. I have ...

More than 65000 Rows
Hello All, Sorry if this has been covered before - couldn;t find a thread when searching though.. Do you know if there's any way to increase the number of rows in a worksheet? Thanks in advance Chris ------------------------------------------------ ~~ Message posted from http://www.ExcelTip.com/ ~~ View and post usenet messages directly from http://www.ExcelForum.com/ http://www.google.com/groups?num=50&hl=en&lr=lang_en&ie=UTF-8&oe=UTF-8&safe=off&q=row++limit+group%3A*excel*&btnG=Google+Search The bottom line : No. HTH Paul ---------------------------...

OWA SSL setup 404 page not found error
I've followed all the necessary steps (I think) to setup our webserver (iis) for SSL and OWA, but when browse to the site with the https:// address, it returns a 404 page not found error. I have the certificate installed and set the default website and the exchange virtual directory to use SSL. I also set the port number for SSL on the default site to be 443. The site prompts for the certificate install when browsing to it, but after accepting the certificate install in the browser, it brings back the file not found page. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated. Windows 2K S...

Changing row height in a CListCtrl
Hello, I'm trying to change the row height of a list control by means of a slider. Currently, we're doing that by changing the font height. This works perfectly, except for one thing: The font actually changes as well (d'uh). For the items itself it's not really a huge issue, I'm using custom draw and can set the font height to a "fixed" value. But I can't do that for the headers. Is there perhaps another way to change the row height of a list control, or is changing the font height the only way to do it? Thanks, -- Maarten Kools ___________________...

POP3 setup Exchange 2003
Can someone point me in the right direction for how to setup POP3 for external users in an Exchange 2003 environment? It is currently setup to send and receive via smtp, I want to allow certain users only access to pickup and send mail via this server via POP3. Thanks Enable the POP3 service and then open up the port (110) on your Firewall. Are you looking for more info? Nue "Ziguana" <Ziguana@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:CFF74E38-3ACD-4AA0-9177-2424C4E410DC@microsoft.com... > Can someone point me in the right direction for how to setup POP3 for &...

Utilizing the Print Preview without using a printer
How can I use the Print Preview function and make any necessary changes to my worksheet?..I currently do not have a printer installed, but would still like to be able to have access to the Print Preview functions before I actually print my worksheet. Just install *any* print driver that might be resident on your system, and XL will then enable the "PrintPreview" feature, even though no actual printer is present. -- HTH, RD ============================================== Please keep all correspondence within the Group, so all may benefit! ==========================================...

Outlook =?ISO-8859-1?Q?won=B4t_start?=
Hi - I tried to uninstall MS Office 2000 due to some errors concerning Outlook function. I used the uninstall function of the system menu, the erase2k.exe and also the support pages of Microsoft telling what files exactly in what folder to delete (which didn�t work for all files). Then, I installed MS Ofiice again. Now, on trying to start Outlook, I get the error message, that Outlook isn�t correctly installed, and a OLE-Registration error (hope I translate that properly from German) occured: Install the program again .... That�s what I tried several times, but it doesn�t help ... Any i...

Page orientation when printing unusual sizes
When printing from Pub2000 to tabloid several years ago it would show vert for horiz and vice versa and would not print correctly. After much frustration QMS gave me a patch but said it was a Microsoft problem. Today I was trying to print a B5J size card and the same thing happened. I tried it on an HP inkjet and it happened again. I dropped the layout into a cheapo Sierra program and it prints correctly but with a loss of some graphic detail. It is a Microsoft problem...what is the solution? When Konica Minolta supplied you with a patch it should tell you it was not a Publisher i...

naming first page index.html
I have created the web pages and named the first page "index.html" in order to publish, however Publisher changes the file name to "index.html.pub" therefore when I attempt to publish the pages they won't publish. Is there a way for me to stop Publisher from changing the name of the file? You are not producing the web pages correctly. You didn't say which version of Publisher you are using but assuming that it is 2003 or 2007, when you are ready to produce your html files, you go to File > "Publish to the Web" NOT Save As a Publisher file. When ...

Printing With Publisher
Hello Everyone, My question is related to mail merge printing using Publisher. Can someone tell me why Publisher when it sends a mail merged job to the print queue, it sends it in groups of ten jobs per queue? Is this a print settings in the application and if so how do i change it so the job is sent as one job in the queue like when your using Microsoft Word to print a mail merge. Any suggestions or comments please! Thanks Hi Steven Rossi (srossi@necc.mass.edu), in the newsgroups you posted: || My question is related to mail merge printing using || Publisher. Can someone tell me why...

Strange Print Problem
My forms have a print button which prints a report displaying the same information shown on the form. So far, so good. I found that a few users were using Ctrl P to print and therefore printing the form instead of the report. I have fixed this problem by calling the print button code when the user presses Ctrl P. This works great except for one form where it ignores the keydown code, UNLESS I press the print button first. If the print button has been pressed previously then Ctrl P works just the way I want it to. But if you press Ctrl P before the print button is pressed the standard p...

Display No. of Rows in Status Bar
Hello: I'm using Excel 2003. Up until recently, whenever I apply an autofilter, my status bar would display the number of rows returned, e.g.: "25 of 100 records found". For some reason it has stopped doing that, and now just says "Filter Mode". I right clicked on the status bar, and chose "Count". It didn't help. Right now I have it on "None", which is what it was on when the row count was displaying before. I don't believe I turned anything off, but I'd sure like to have that feature back. OBTW: I had this problem a mont...

Filter to specify which account is used according to email address?
I use outlook for work and personal email but i use two different accounts to send/recive email. I have run into the problem of sometimes mistakenly using my personal account to send work emails. So my question is: Is it possible to specify that addresses that meet a certain criteria be send using a certain account. Say an email to Bob@amarc.mil will be sent using my gmail account whereas a email to Jane@moog.gov will be sent using a yahoo account? Any help/suggestions would really be appreciated! Cheers -Gaiko And my question is, what version of Outlook are you using? The answer = is t...

How to speed up printing the report?
Hi I have a problem with printing reports in Great Plains 7.5. It took a long time, especially for trial balance report with long characters on the main segment (more than 5 characters). Do you know how to solve this problem? Hardware and software are ok. according to requirements. Regards Radek ...

Page header or footer longer than a page. File 794368d5a91da8.rpt.
Anyone seen this before? It only happens when trying to run the report via the CRM interface. The report ran fine last month. It's a copy of one of the canned pipeline reports that comes with CRM, with a date filter applied. Report has no parameters, just a filter. The report runs fine in Crystal. Many thanks i saw this a few weeks back and restarted the crystal services to get rid of it. -- John O'Donnell Microsoft CRM MVP http://www.mscrmfaq.us "Jeff Metcalf" <JeffMetcalf@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:E8B9A1DD-777D-4746-A333-392955F912...

Print contacts #2
I would like my notes to appear when I print my address book from Outlook. Thanks. Add the notes field to the view you are using for your Contacts folder, and then when you print, you should see your notes. -- Jocelyn Fiorello MVP - Outlook *** Messages sent to my e-mail address will NOT be answered -- please reply only to the newsgroup to preserve the message thread. *** In news:12fae01c3f693$82e8b4e0$a501280a@phx.gbl, RWhite wrote: > I would like my notes to appear when I print my address > book from Outlook. > > Thanks. ...

Cannot preview unapproved purchase orders via printing on screen
Our customers would like to be able to click a preview button to see what the purchase order looks like before it is approved then printed. This is not currently possible with PO approvals as you cannot print a PO to screen without first approving it. -- Thanks, Peter ---------------- This post is a suggestion for Microsoft, and Microsoft responds to the suggestions with the most votes. To vote for this suggestion, click the "I Agree" button in the message pane. If you do not see the button, follow this link to open the suggestion in the Microsoft Web-based Newsreader and the...