How do I filter rows based upon a column value

I have a spreadsheet that contains multiple agency id's in a column. When
generating reports, I would like to filter per agency and display only the
rows associated with that agency.

Is there a tutorial or sample on how to do this?

0
nfr1 (20)
6/18/2004 2:18:42 PM
excel 39879 articles. 2 followers. Follow

Hi

It sounds like you are looking for Data / Filter / AutoFilter. Have a look
here for some basics:
http://www.contextures.com/xlautofilter01.html

--
Andy.

"Jack" <nfr@nospam.com> wrote in message
> I have a spreadsheet that contains multiple agency id's in a column. When
> generating reports, I would like to filter per agency and display only the
> rows associated with that agency.
>
> Is there a tutorial or sample on how to do this?

0
andyb1 (494)
6/18/2004 2:23:57 PM
Hi Jack

Have you try Autofilter
http://www.contextures.com/xlautofilter01.html

--
Regards Ron de Bruin
http://www.rondebruin.nl

"Jack" <nfr@nospam.com> wrote in message news:eqiU08TVEHA.2988@TK2MSFTNGP10.phx.gbl...
> I have a spreadsheet that contains multiple agency id's in a column. When
> generating reports, I would like to filter per agency and display only the
> rows associated with that agency.
>
> Is there a tutorial or sample on how to do this?

0
rondebruin (3790)
6/18/2004 2:29:07 PM
"Andy B" <andyb@takethisbitout.dawsons.co.uk> wrote in message
> Hi
>
> It sounds like you are looking for Data / Filter / AutoFilter. Have a look
> here for some basics:
> http://www.contextures.com/xlautofilter01.html
>
> --
> Andy.

This is working, however it placed filters in all of the column headers... I
just want to filter on one column. Turning it off appears to be all or
nothing.

0
nfr1 (20)
6/18/2004 2:30:10 PM
Hi

The AutoFilter arrows will show in all related columns, but will not be
active unless you make them active. The arrows will be blue if they are set
to filter, and black if they are not. Don't worry about the others!

--

> "Andy B" <andyb@takethisbitout.dawsons.co.uk> wrote in message
> > Hi
> >
> > It sounds like you are looking for Data / Filter / AutoFilter. Have a
look
> > here for some basics:
> > http://www.contextures.com/xlautofilter01.html
> >
> > --
> > Andy.
>
> This is working, however it placed filters in all of the column headers...
> just want to filter on one column. Turning it off appears to be all or
> nothing.

0
andyb1 (494)
6/18/2004 2:34:43 PM
Place your cursor on the range you want to filter>then apply autofilter.

--
Don Guillett
SalesAid Software
"Jack" <nfr@nospam.com> wrote in message
> "Andy B" <andyb@takethisbitout.dawsons.co.uk> wrote in message
> > Hi
> >
> > It sounds like you are looking for Data / Filter / AutoFilter. Have a
look
> > here for some basics:
> > http://www.contextures.com/xlautofilter01.html
> >
> > --
> > Andy.
>
> This is working, however it placed filters in all of the column headers...
> just want to filter on one column. Turning it off appears to be all or
> nothing.

0
Don

Freezing? Rows
I have a question pertaining to Excel. I keep track of patients in excel sheet.. I add about 10 patients a week into this sheet. Then I sort it by patients’ name, so the sheet appears alphabetically. I know this is not the best way to keep the data... and I am afraid that by some mistake rows might get shifter and information for each patient will be shifted as well. Is there any way to prevent this kind of disaster from happening? Somehow "freezing" the information for each row for all the columns, so that individual patient's info cannot be shifted so easily? Any sugg...

resize all rows in the spreadsheet to fit the text?
I have an existing spreadsheet created by another user. Some of the rows are not automatically sized to display all text. Is there a command to resize all rows in the spreadsheet to fit the text? thanks email: softwaretest underscore 2003 at hotmail Church lady, try Ctrl a, to select the whole sheet, then format, row, autofit -- Paul B Always backup your data before trying something new Using Excel 2000 & 97 Please post any response to the newsgroups so others can benefit from it ** remove news from my email address to reply by email ** "the church lady" <tcl@mail.com&g...

2-D charting with multiple rows
I have a power user who wishes to increase the size of his 2-D graphics but is limited to using 32000 records. He needs to be able to use 64,000 records. Any suggestions? I think this might be something that is changed in regedit but I am not sure. Thanks! Yep, and you can bypass the 256 column limit with Windows API calls. Joking aside, how about two series, formatted identically. If you have duplicate entries in the legend, select the legend, then select the text of one entry, and press the Delete key. - Jon ------- Jon Peltier, Microsoft Excel MVP Peltier Technical Services Tutorial...

move rows from column to column
I have Column b with Name in one row and number in 2nd row want to move all numbers to Column a and leave name in Column b without having to move each one seperate. 1500 records. Use a help column, in the first adjacent cell type =ISNUMBER(A2) where A2 is the first cell with name copy down 1500 rows by either dragging the formula or double click the lower right corner of the help cell (as long as it is in an adjacent column) Then apply data>filter>autofilter and filter on FALSE in the help columns, select all visible cells and copy and paste somewhere else, then select TRUE from ...

Filtering a subform ...
First, I do not know how my original message got removed from the webhost, nor do I know what individuals are playing games here. My question was and still is very legitimate. I have a simple form that I have 2 unlinked subforms (subform01 and subform2 )on. Both subforms are datasheets. What I need is to have filter buttons, like command buttons, that will filter the first subform. Very similar to the frmPhoneList only the buttons need to be on the main form, I think. I have tried every variance that I know of and any assistance would greatly be appreciated. ...

extract year from Date Value
Good morning, Could someone help me extract the year portion from a date value such as this 11/20/2009? Thanks in advance, Mike With the Date in A1, place =YEAR(A1) in B1 Takeadoe wrote: > Good morning, > > Could someone help me extract the year portion from a date value such > as this 11/20/2009? > > Thanks in advance, > > Mike ...

Highlighting whole row in this macro
Can I add something to this so that when the A1:A100 field is changed, the whole row (A-L) is highlighted ColorIndex 6? Dim x, cl Private Sub Worksheet_Change(ByVal Target As Range) If Intersect(Target, Range("A1:A100")) Is Nothing Then Exit Sub Target.Offset(0, 1) = x Target.Interior.ColorIndex = 6 End Sub Private Sub Worksheet_SelectionChange(ByVal Target As Range) x = ActiveCell.Value End Sub target.entirerow.resize(1,12).interior.colorindex = 6 or since the target is already in column A: target.resize(1,12).interior.colorindex = 6 eastrivergraphics@gmail.com wrote: > &...

Change column color in chart when column value is over/under goal
No use of VBA or macros expected. It is believed to be Excel chart feature. Any ideas on how to change column colors (Red/Green) if value exceeds or meets the preset goal. Eg. if goal is 4% - anything at or above 4 should show green and under 4 should be red. Assuming your data is in A2:A20 B2: =IF(A2>=4,A2,NA()) C2: =IF(A2<4,A2,NA()) copy B2:C2 down, add some labels to B1:C1, then chart B1:C20. This will give you two series, one for the aboves, one for the rest. Select each data series, right click, choose format, and set the colour as required. -- --- HTH Bob (there's ...

Suppres Zero or empty Cell value in a line graph
Hi I'm using Office 2007. I have two charts using data from the same sheet. The second graph is a copy of the first. In the first graph, the empty and zero value cells are not displayed. In the second graph, the zero value cells is displayed (draged to zero) although the option "connect points with line" is checked. The strange thing: if I change the Y-data to another part of the sheet, it is no longer dragged to zero. Even if the cell is empty it's still dragged to zero A formula that returns "" is not an empty cell, it's a formula (or it's a small ...

how to create a field based on many different conditions
Hi, I'm trying to create a field based on many different conditions in Make Table Query in Access 2003, e.g., if VAR1 and VAR2 meet certain condition, assign a value "A" to the new field "Category"; if VAR1 and VAR2 meet other condition, assign a value "B" to "Category" so on and so forth. I keep getting separate field for each condition, something like "Expr1023". Please help! Thank you! Since you haven't provided the expression or SQL statement, I will assume it is quite complex. I would remove the complexity from the query ...

Getting the "name=" (bit, picklist) value that is returned from SOAP
Hi all, I am getting several fields via a Web service request in javascript in an OnChange event to poulate other field on a case. One of those fields is a bit, and one is a picklist. Those nodes in the response come back with <attribute="new_active" name="true">1</attribute> for the bit field and <attribute="status" name="On Hold">3</attribute> How can I read the name value? I've tried selectSingleNode("//status").name with no luck. Thanks! I am doing a similar process, using a SOAP response message. I ge...

Reference last entry in column
In Excel 2002, I need a way to reference the last entry in a column of data that has data added to it on a regular basis. Is there a way to do this that is fairly simple? I am trying to make a checkbook register in excel and I want to have the current balance shown in one place at the top so that when the list of entries gets long the user doesn't have to scroll to the bottom to see the current balance. I also want to have it show on a different sheet where the current balances for different accounts can all be seen one one page. Any help would be appreciated. Hi see: http://www.xl...

which table Picklist integer value stored?
Hi there, Which database table pick list interger values stored? thanks Kyaw this query will list all the pick list integervalues and attribute name select AttributeName,AttributeValue,Value from StringMap // for account WHERE (StringMap.ObjectTypeCode=1) //for contact WHERE (StringMap.ObjectTypeCode=2) attributename will tell u about the name of the picklist attribute value is the intigers and values are what u can see on the form i think this will help u ...

limits on hiding columns
are there any conditions that would limit the number of columns that can be hidden in Excel? Alternatively, why would excel not hide any more columns? Spreadsheet is not protected by the way Hi AFAIK you can hide all columns except of one remaining one -- Regards Frank Kabel Frankfurt, Germany m99panama wrote: > are there any conditions that would limit the number of columns that > can be hidden in Excel? Alternatively, why would excel not hide any > more columns? Spreadsheet is not protected by the way You might be thinking of hiding sheets, Frank? I think you can hide all ...

Table Sort/Filter
Table A User ParameterA ParameterB ParameterC ParameterD ParameterE Jim x x x John x x x Dave x Henry x Jim x John x Dave x Henry x Table B User ParameterA ParameterB ParameterC ParameterD ParameterE Dave x x Henry x x Jim x x x x John x x x x How can I transform table A into Table B, see my earlier post for attachment, (there are no viruses or macros attached to it). I basically want to remove duplicate user names, but preserve and combine the parameter fields. Any hel...

Dynamic Value in Workflows
Hello, I am creating some workflows and I want to set a value in an Account Entity based on a value in the Opportunity Entity. I believe I should be able to use the Dynamic value wizard within Workflow manager - i.e. select Account and the filed and select = and then go to Dynamic Value and select Opportunity and the field that I want the value to inherit on change of status. However when I do this I can only select Account within the Dynamic Value picklist. Any ideas? Dynamic Values are only available to children of Parent entities. Since Accounts are at the top of the CRM food c...

Counting Different Values
Well here we go, i have coloum B which has the name of the person and column F has the number now i want to have a summary page which has : Name & Number from the other page counted up. For Example: Robert Smith 10 Robert Smith XX Jim Smith 10 Jim Cox 10 Jim Cox XX Jim Cox 10 and on the summary page it has: Robert Smith - 10 Total: 1 Robert Smith - XX Total: 1 J...

Hiding Returned Value of hlookup
Okay, this is a tough one... (At least for me) I'm using the hlookup formula to import the starting times and ending times of employees on a daily assignment sheet. I'm compiling all the times onto a weekly schedule where each individual's hours for the week are added up. Now, I've done all this, but I get #NA when a particular employee is not on a certain day. I'm currently using IF and ISERROR to convert the #NA to "0", which allows the sheet to properly add up the hours being used by each employee. Now, I need to be able to hide the zeros so I can pri...

Help with counting values that have different endings
Hi guys, i just joined SQLMONSTER and was wondering if you guys can help me with this problem... I have 10 columns and 8,000,000 rows which have stock ticker names and exchange tickers-like the following: [Column A] AQR.L GDY.LS NBAE.LS (blank) 0023CA.S FOR.L AQR.KZ ... ... How do I find the number of unique ticker names in my database and disregard the .L, .LS, .S, .L, .KZ endings (because I am looking for the unique tickers, not the exchange). I.E., I want the values counted to be only AQR, GDY, NBAE, 0023CA, FOR or 5 values (I don't want AQR to be counted twice becau...

Sort 2 columns similtaneoously
I have two columns that I would like to keep together. Street and house number. Is there someway to make the street the primary sort and carry the house number (which is in a separate column) along with it? In other words, I'd like for the street name to be in order and the house numbers to be in sequence for that street. Thanks, Doug Select the data (it works best if the columns have labels in the top cells) Use Data Sort Specify sort first by Street then by Number If there is more info (such as names) , make sure you select tall relevant columns before sorting Play save: do a Sa...

Rule to filter entire domain when some members of the domain are in your contacts
I am having a problem filtering mail from an entire domain. I've tried "where senders address contains" and also put @domain.com as described here: http://www.outlook-tips.net/howto/rules.htm The issue seems to be that if the sender is in my contacts and it recognizes the name it doesn't trigger the filter. Anyone have any work arounds to this? ...

How do I select every nth row?
Hi I have a long list of data. Every fourth row contains the sort of data (ID, name, points...) Unfortunately the data is all in one long column. Can someone tell me how to select out every fourth row? Maybe something that can give me the row number modulo 4? My overall goal is to move this data into an Access table, but I'm having trouble because of the format. Thanks. Ray. If your data starts in A2 and you want A2, A6, A10 and so on, use a help column adjacent and next to the first cell with data use =MOD(ROW(1:1),4)=1 copy down if you want A5, A9, A13 use =MOD(ROW(1:1),4)=0 ...

can a column have diffent width?
I have dates in column A and 20 rows down or so, I want to have names in column A and numbers in column B but column A must be wider to accept the names. I want the dates to be a certain width say 64 pixels and the names to be 336 pixels,can this be done? thanks No, a column has one width from top to bottom best wishes -- Bernard V Liengme www.stfx.ca/people/bliengme remove caps from email "dave" <spammer@nospammer.net> wrote in message news:kdLGf.8425$bW6.4202@bignews7.bellsouth.net... >I have dates in column A and 20 rows down or so, I want to have names in >...

insering rows with vb
Hi This piece of code inserts a new row on the current worksheet, above the active cell. Private Sub CommandButton1_Click() ActiveCell.Resize(1, 1).EntireRow.Insert End Sub Anyone know how this can be expanded to insert a new row in exactly the same position on worksheet 2? Many Thanks katie Katie, Here it goes: Worksheets("Sheet2").Rows(ActiveCell.Row).EntireRow.Insert HTH, Nikos "katie" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:11d2901c4423d$9f7d6510$a601280a@phx.gbl... > Hi > This piece of code i...

Column Labels #5
I have a coworker who changed the column labels from letters to numbers. She does not know how she did it. Does anyone know how to change them back to letters. The columns are numbered in all of the worksheets that she opens. Stephanie tools>options>general>settings>ric1 uncheck -- Don Guillett SalesAid Software donaldb@281.com "Stephanie" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:3d7701c52341$aceff2e0$a501280a@phx.gbl... > I have a coworker who changed the column labels from > letters to numbers. She does not know how she did it. Do...