How do I edit a record in database

in EXCEL 2000
I have a large database with customer names, address, phone no.,
and so on, 8 columns total.  In a userform the customer name is chosen
from a combobox and entered, the balance of the customer information is
then pulled out of the database using "VLOOKUP" and applied to the
worksheet.  I now need to change some of the data for some of the
customers but the user easily gets lost looking through the database. I
would like to create another userform that would allow the user to find
the customer and edit the phone no. or address or contact name. And
then the updated info would be changed in the database.  I am not sure
how to replace the old data with the new data w/ code. I also used The
dataform but it will not give me the results desired, I really need to
do this with vba I think.

I would really appreciate some help on this......

Best Of Luck,

Ashish

excel 39879 articles. 2 followers. Follow

Maybe you'll get lucky and you could use Data|Form.

or if not...

John Walkenbach has an enhanced dataform at:
http://j-walk.com/ss/dataform/index.htm

(and the code is available for a minor fee ($20 USA), if you want to modify it
to remove/modify the delete portion.)

--

Dave Peterson
0
Dave Peterson wrote:
> Maybe you'll get lucky and you could use Data|Form.
>
> or if not...
>
> John Walkenbach has an enhanced dataform at:
> http://j-walk.com/ss/dataform/index.htm
>
> (and the code is available for a minor fee ($20 USA), if you want to modify it
> to remove/modify the delete portion.)
>
> Ashish wrote:
> >
> > in EXCEL 2000
> > I have a large database with customer names, address, phone no.,
> > and so on, 8 columns total.  In a userform the customer name is chosen
> > from a combobox and entered, the balance of the customer information is
> > then pulled out of the database using "VLOOKUP" and applied to the
> > worksheet.  I now need to change some of the data for some of the
> > customers but the user easily gets lost looking through the database. I
> > would like to create another userform that would allow the user to find
> > the customer and edit the phone no. or address or contact name. And
> > then the updated info would be changed in the database.  I am not sure
> > how to replace the old data with the new data w/ code. I also used The
> > dataform but it will not give me the results desired, I really need to
> > do this with vba I think.
> >
> > I would really appreciate some help on this......
> >
> > Best Of Luck,
> >
> > Ashish
>
> --
>
> Dave Peterson

You may want to try John Walkenbach's enhanced dataform.

Debra Dalgleish has a get started with userforms at:
http://contextures.com/xlUserForm01.html

--

Dave Peterson
0

Ashish

Debra's site is an introduction to userforms--it's not a full blown application.

On the other hand, John Walkenbach's version may be all you need.

Did you look at that site?

--

Dave Peterson
0

I think that if you create a workbook with that code in it (maybe an addin that
is separate it from the data), that you can distribute it to your co-workers.

I just looked and saw this:

It can be freely distributed and used without a license.
on this page:
http://j-walk.com/ss/dataform/index.htm

So once you have it running on your pc, you can distribute that same workbook to
others.

--

Dave Peterson
0

I need help with windows xp home edition.
I currently have windows 7 prof. installed but I would like to reboot and install windows xp home edition instead. ( for my own reasons ) I have the windows xp home edition disk but when I reboot with it in my dvd drive it just freezes. When I am running windows 7 and I put the disk in, it won't let me click on install windows xp. If someone can help me, I would greatly appreciate it. Thanks you had best check and see if you can locate all the drivers for all your hardware, using XP, if the pc was supplied with 7, you may be out of luck trying to get hardware drivers. &q...

Excel Menu (File, Edit, View, etc)
I have recently reinstalled MS Office 2003. All appears to be working except MS Excel. The file command seems to be the only command working on the menu. The remaining do not work and all are greyed out. Are they any suggestions on what I can do to resolve this. The product work working fine until I needed to rebuild my system and subsequently reload MS Office 2003. BTW, the menu bar on the other products appears to be working fine. I'd try this first. Rightclick on an empty spot on any of the toolbars. Choose Customize (at the bottom) Toolbars tab Select worksheet ...

Database with Works suite 2003?
Is the database bundled with Works suite 2003 the same as Access 2002? Thanks in advance douglas Douglas Sorry, it's a simple answer No. -- HTH Nick Hodge Microsoft MVP - Excel Southampton, England nick_hodgeTAKETHISOUT@zen.co.uk.ANDTHIS "Douglas Sey" <douglassey@connel.fsnet.co.uk> wrote in message news:cnavuo$ems$1@newsg3.svr.pol.co.uk... > Is the database bundled with Works suite 2003 the same as Access 2002? > > Thanks in advance > douglas > > Douglas I doubt it very much, but you could check with the Access or Works Suite News Groups. ...

Place Access database into Word with styles?
I have an Access (2003) database with several tables. In one of these tables (let's call it "Books"), each row refers to a book. Fields include Title, Author, ISBN, CopyrightDate, Description, and so on. I also have a large Microsoft Word (2003) document containing documentation (let's call it "Reference") about a software product. I'd like to place the data from the Books table into the Reference document, but I want the benefit of the Word styles defined in the document so that I can customize the look of the exported info by using a Word style. For instance,...

How do I turn EDIT and redlining off and on?
Somehow my WORD system/program started showing a redline with edit remarks to the right side of the text whenever I tried to edit, such as, BOLD, DELETE, ADD OR DELETE SPACES. I must have inadvertently turned that feature on, but I don't know how . . . nor how to turn it off. Hellp will be appreciated On Fri, 29 Jan 2010 16:12:07 -0800, LZL <LZL@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote: >Somehow my WORD system/program started showing a redline with edit remarks to >the right side of the text whenever I tried to edit, such as, BOLD, DELETE, >ADD OR DELETE SPACES. I...

records in current month
Hi I want to use a query that returns records in the current month from a date field, but cant work the query out - anyone help please Thanks Alec Set the criteria under the date field to: Between Date()-Day(Date())+1 AND DateSerial(Year(Date()),Month(Date())+1,0) -- Duane Hookom Microsoft Access MVP "alecgreen" wrote: > Hi > > I want to use a query that returns records in the current month from a > date field, but cant work the query out - anyone help please > > Thanks > > Alec > > ...

How to draw out a bar chart backed by a 3-dimension database
Hello everyone: I've a problem: I'm drawing a population pyramid bolstered by a 3-dimensional database, with the population as the only figure to display, and break up by gender, age group, and record year; e.g. Year Gender Agegroup Population 2000 Male 10-14 200000 1999 Female 5-9 1340000 I've got a total 2 years in year break up, 2 gender types, male & female, and about 10 age groups; What I wanna to do is to generate a bar chart, with age break displayed on the vertical axis, population displayed on the horizontal axis, and break up ...

i remove the password and decrypte the database so i can use auto
How do i remove the password and decrypte the database so i can use automatic access data collection? it says i need to close and reopne but the database is already open! On Fri, 5 Feb 2010 00:23:01 -0800, brad <brad@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote: Read that message again. Hit Ctrl+C while it is open, then Paste into Notepad so you have it for future reference. It says much more than close and reopen. -Tom. Microsoft Access MVP >How do i remove the password and decrypte the database so i can use automatic >access data collection? >it says i need to close...

Edit Excel docs using Works?
Is there any way to edit an Excel doc if one only has Microsoft Works 2003? -- bg ...

Too many records to complete this operation
I have Excel 2003 SP2 (Office Pro). I have a pivot table with 7 columns and 232 rows. I am trying to add one more column, but it wont. I get an error that reads "Too many records to complete this operation." My columns in question are city and state. I can use one or the other, but not both. I also have one calculated field weighting the averages in the data area. Any suggestions? Thanks, Usarian M. Skiff ...

Outlook 2007 Edit Business Card Format
I've just started using Outlook 2007 with the Business Contact Manager. I'd like to edit the format of the Business Card in both Outlook and Business Contact Manager. I have discovered how to edit an individual card but not how to edit all the existing cards and future cards. Can this be done and if so how? Thanks, Bob It can't be done; that functionality just isn't built into Outlook. I = expect, though, that some enterprising programmer will produce an = inexpensive tool or sample application to apply a particular format to = all EBCs.=20 --=20 Sue Mosher, Outlook ...

How do you sort records in a table using Database?
I am suppose to sort the table by the Records Series field and then by the Record field. How do I do this? You don't sort a table. Create a query based on the table and sort that. Hope this helps -- Wayne Manchester, England. "Sonja" wrote: > I am suppose to sort the table by the Records Series field and then by the > Record field. How do I do this? ...

Restricted number of records in form and subform
Hi everybody, I have a form which updates a table that contains among other fields: "Month" and "Employee Name". For each month and each employee there is ONLY one record allowed. How can I check if the user of my DB is inserting a second record for the same month and employee and prevent him from saving? Somebody suggested I make a condition in the BeforeUpdating but I am a beginner with Access and can't really write CODE. Could somebody help me with this? (show me the procedure in SQL). In the same form I also have a subform in which I am only allowed to insert 5 r...

Find records that have been changed/deleted by disgruntled employe
Assuming we have a employee who is unhappy how do we find any records he may have changed in the last two months and how do we restored those individuals records so that they have the correct information. We would assign some clients to multiple employees. unless you have some after-market auditing software, you're not going to be able to know everything the employee has done. you can use the 'modified on' and 'modified by' attributes on every CRM entity to query (using advanced find) where the user was the last one to modify the record after a certain date. Even ...

Show number of records at end of report in access.
I want to show the total number of records at the bottom of a report in Access. I think it the formula =Count({FirstName)} should work, but I can't figure out how to insert this onto the footer. Hi Create an unbound text box and place it in the report footer. Use this as the control source for the text box. =Count([firstname]) -- Wayne Manchester, England. "Joanne627" wrote: > I want to show the total number of records at the bottom of a report in Access. > I think it the formula =Count({FirstName)} should work, but I can't figure > out how to insert t...

Recovery Storage Group error when trying to add database #4
Can you please tell me where I would make the change to the DN as described below? Hi, The problem is that in the distinguished name of the database there is a single parenthesis without its match. Examples of this would include: cn=Mailbox Store 1 (SG1,cn=First Storage Group,.... cn=Mailbox Store 1 (SG2),cn=Second Storage Group (TestServer,cn=... If you add the closing parenthesis and force replication of the Active Directory the "Add Databases to Recover" dialog should work properly. The problem is the LDAP request that is sent to the Domain Controller to render ...

not to edit nor change the text
hii i have a form that consist of a text control which i have changed to combo box and i want to select name out of that to perform a particular action that work perfectly no problem. but the prolem is that i want it to be readonly or can't change or edit the items inside . thankx Naveed, >... i want it to be readonly or can't change or edit the items inside . Well, "read only" would really mean that the combo is disabled and locked from any selection at all. Set the combo's Limit To List property to Yes. Now, the combo will only allow ...

merging customer records
I have two customers once they were listed as Mike Smith and one time Michael Smith. I would like to merge these two customers so that I have a full total of how much money they have spent with me in one place. Is there a way to do this? Any help is greatly appreciated. Thank you in advance. Mike Mike V wrote: > I have two customers once they were listed as Mike Smith and one time Michael > Smith. I would like to merge these two customers so that I have a full total > of how much money they have spent with me in one place. Is there a way to do > this? Any help is g...

Printing mailing labels with multiple recipient name records associated with a single address
I have been browsing this, and other Access groups, as well as some of the Microsoft KB articles, and while I find posts decribing similar objectives to mine, can't seem to find anything that specifically shows me how to solve my problem. I posted this topic, by mistake actually to the Access general group, when I meant to post it here. I have a property management database which contains many related tables, including a table "Units" and a table "Tenants". Tenant records have a corresponding foreign key for the UnitID relating them to the Units table. A tenant can onl...

Text editing in a cell
How do I insert a line break within a cell when I am writing a line of text?? - when I press enter I go to the next cell!! Help Hi Barbara ALT+ENTER will do -- Regards Frank Kabel Frankfurt, Germany Barbara wrote: > How do I insert a line break within a cell when I am writing a line > of text?? - when I press enter I go to the next cell!! Help ...

Excel query to access database
Hi, Could you help me to find solution for my problem please? I’m not very good in Excel and Access but have to create Excel spread sheet which will take data from Access DB. I almost done it but have one problem which not able to find solution. When I create query in Excel using “Query Wizard” there is a step called “Filter Data”. I would like to use filter for the table like that: Company Name – equals – Contoso. My problem is that instead using “Contoso” I would like to take value from filed in Excel document (like $c$2). Is it possible? How to do this? Thank you ...

Pulling records
Is there any way to query certain records to populate a new worksheet in excel? Hi not quite sure what you're trying to achieve but have a look at http://www.rondebruin.nl/copy5.htm >-----Original Message----- >Is there any way to query certain records to populate a new worksheet in excel? >. > Thanks Frank, I'll give it a try. ...

Need advice on documenty database.
We are looking for a way to catalog all of our documentaries into an editable database and hoping to use Excel if possible. We want them available in an alphabetical list, be able to add new titles as we get them in and have it automatically file to the correct location in the list without reediting. We also would like to be able to output the list in HTML format and add it to our website so other members can view it, click on a link to see the synopsis, request the video if it is available and track which titles are checked out or in stock just like at the library. Eventually we would like...

Modifying "Edit Purchase Orders" Window
In GP 10 I open Transactions>> Edit Purchase Orders>> tools>>customize >> modify current window. I want to add the BUYERID field to this window. For some reason I can't drag the buyerid global field from the toolbox. I can add text but I really need a buyer id field to be added and automatically populated with what it in the POP10100 table's BUYERID field. I have tried all sorts of things. A co-workers thinks that this window was coded in dexterity and that I won't be able to modify this window to add a global field. No, you cannot add a global...

Simply Identifying the location (in My Documents) of the Access Database that I have open
I am often working in an Access Database, and need to know in which Folder the Database exists. In other Msft applications, I can find out by simply selecting file > Save as. But in Access, this is not an option. So is there another way to identify in which folder the Access database is located? Thanks. http://www.mvps.org/access/general/gen0007.htm "Dave K" <fred.sheriff@gmail.com> wrote in message news:dbdd625f-fb2a-4d42-a93c-f084efb8c781@d62g2000hsf.googlegroups.com... >I am often working in an Access Database, and need to know in which > Folder the Databas...