How do I add weekdays?

I have a column of dates.  How do I get excel to automatically put the
weekday in?  I currently have excel 2003.  Will I need to update to excel
2007 in order for it to be able to do this?

--
http://existenceandreality.blogspot.com/

excel 39879 articles. 2 followers. Follow

Highlight the column then click on Format | Cells | Number tab. Choose
Custom from the list (near the bottom) and then type this format in
the panel:

dddd dd/mm/yyyy

When you use dddd in the format string Excel will take it that you
mean the full day, whereas ddd will give you Mon, Tue, Wed etc.

If you want the weekday in a separate column, then assuming your dates
are in column A you could put this in a helper column:

=3DTEXT(A1,"dddd")

and copy down.

Hope this helps.

Pete

On Dec 11, 2:31=A0pm, "Interesting Ian" <spam.me2DEL...@ntlworld.com>
wrote:
> I have a column of dates. =A0How do I get excel to automatically put the
> weekday in? =A0I currently have excel 2003. =A0Will I need to update to e=
xcel
> 2007 in order for it to be able to do this?
>
> --http://existenceandreality.blogspot.com/

0
pashurst (2576)
12/11/2008 3:09:54 PM
If the date is showing as something like 12/12/2008 and you want Fri
12/1/2/2008 then use a custom format of ddd dd/mm/yyyy (or ddd mm/dd/yyyy if
you are in the USA). To see Friday (full word) use four d's as in dddd etc.
To see the weekday in the next column use =A1 and format B1 as dddd.
Any help?
best wishes
--
Bernard V Liengme
Microsoft Excel MVP

"Interesting Ian" <spam.me2DELETE@ntlworld.com> wrote in message
>I have a column of dates.  How do I get excel to automatically put the
>weekday in?  I currently have excel 2003.  Will I need to update to excel
>2007 in order for it to be able to do this?
>
> --
> http://existenceandreality.blogspot.com/

0
bliengme5824 (3040)
12/11/2008 3:13:42 PM
"Pete_UK" <pashurst@auditel.net> wrote in message
Highlight the column then click on Format | Cells | Number tab. Choose
Custom from the list (near the bottom) and then type this format in
the panel:

dddd dd/mm/yyyy

When you use dddd in the format string Excel will take it that you
mean the full day, whereas ddd will give you Mon, Tue, Wed etc.

Hi,

Thank you!  It worked!  Mind you, about 15 minutes I just ordered excel
2007.  Not because of the weekday issue, but because I'm limited to 65,000
rows in excel 2003.  I need more than that.

--
http://existenceandreality.blogspot.com/

You're welcome, Ian.

Pete

On Dec 11, 5:40=A0pm, "Interesting Ian" <spam.me2DEL...@ntlworld.com>
wrote:
> Hi,
>
> Thank you! =A0It worked! =A0Mind you, about 15 minutes I just ordered exc=
el
> 2007. =A0Not because of the weekday issue, but because I'm limited to 65,=
000
> rows in excel 2003. =A0I need more than that.
>
> --http://existenceandreality.blogspot.com/

0
pashurst (2576)

add one field, multiple records
Didn't even know what to search for, lets see if I can explain this. Owners have multiple land parcels, each parcel having several attributes, including [legalDescription]. I want to add the text string together from all (could be just one parcel, or many parcels) parcels to get one text box that shows all the legal descriptions strung together, per Owner. I plan on having Parcel records on subform1, and the "strung together" legal description as a text box on main form. How can I co this? I guess it's possible that all the legal descriptions together for one owner coul...

Solver add-in #3
Hi, I've been fiddling with the Solver Fantasy Football example on here. http://office.microsoft.com/en-us/excel/HA011246031033.aspx In my example (it's using soccer league data - but similar except there's no need for the team data on rows 110-136). I've added an extra column for each players club but I can't work out how to add a constraint such that I restrict the numbers of players from any one club to only 2? I hope that makes sense - I've got the solver to pick the team with maximum points but it has 5 players from the same club. I want to restrict it to ...

formula to add a figure to a total if conditions are.....
Hi, OK, obviously by the subject excel is not my strong point! ;-) What I would like please is the formula to do the following. If the total in cell A1 is under 750, add 80 to the figure and total it. Does that make sense? Thanks Tony hi, put this in B1.... =IF(A1<750,A1+80,A1) Regards FSt1 "Mr Offle" wrote: > Hi, > OK, obviously by the subject excel is not my strong point! ;-) > What I would like please is the formula to do the following. > > If the total in cell A1 is under 750, add 80 to the figure and total it. > > Does that make sense? > >...

Outlook 2003 / Calender / Add Holidays NOT IN ENGLISH???
Hi!! I have here Outlook 2003 (English) and I already add holidays (german and polish holidays). The holidays are added in english. :( It's possible to add the holidays in national language (in my case in polish and german?) Regards, gicio Hi! no one can help me? regards, gicio <gicio@web.de> wrote in message news:blbuev$ai4j3$1@news.hansenet.net... > Hi!! > > I have here Outlook 2003 (English) and I already add holidays (german and > polish holidays). > The holidays are added in english. :( > It's possible to add the holidays in national language ...

how do I install data analysis add ins to excel 2003
I want to install the data analysis add ins to excel 2003 (statistical package) but it seems to have varied from the 2000 edition. Does anyone have any info on this. Thanking you in advance. Sorry guys just worked it out. FYI under tools>add-ins>then selectthe desired addins. Walla done. "Ben" wrote: > I want to install the data analysis add ins to excel 2003 (statistical > package) but it seems to have varied from the 2000 edition. Does anyone have > any info on this. > Thanking you in advance. ...

how to add text to toolbar
To all, I have added a combobox to my toolbar for addresses, similar to IE. Now I want to say "address" to the left of the combobox. What is the best way to implement this? What is the easiest? Thanx in advance, Reza Just add a CStatic and put whatever caption you want. It will be similar to how you added a CComboBox. You also should look at example MFCIE which mimics an IE app using MFC. -- Ajay Kalra [MVP - VC++] ajaykalra@yahoo.com "reza razavipour" <rrazavipour@stbernard.com> wrote in message news:eJrR$sXHEHA.3476@TK2MSFTNGP11.phx.gbl... > To all, >...

How to add new colors to existing table
How to add new colors to existing table of colors? The colour palette is what you see, however you can create autotext entries of pre-coloured objects and create pre-coloured styles to apply to text. -- <>>< ><<> ><<> <>>< ><<> <>>< <>><<> Graham Mayor - Word MVP My web site www.gmayor.com Word MVP web site http://word.mvps.org <>>< ><<> ><<> <>>< ><<> <>>< <>><<> "Karen" wrote: >...

Add windows to Shortcut Bar
Why aren't all windows available to add to the Shortcut Bar in V 8? Example: Purchasing > Select Checks. Susie This is a known issue that is scheduled to be fixed in the next release (v8.5). The problem is that you can only use shortcuts with a window that does not need additional code to open the window. Some windows are setup without a window marked as AutoOpen and required code to open the window. The workaround is to record a macro of opening the window by the menus and then create a shortcut pointing to the macro. David Musgrave [MSFT] Senior Development Consultant MB...

Strange question: Add same nodes to XmlDocument
Hi all, i'm trying to add same node to XmlDocument. This is Xml that I want to create: <TableColumns> <TableColumn><Width>1.5in</Width></TableColumn> <TableColumn><Width>1.5in</Width></TableColumn> <TableColumn><Width>1.5in</Width></TableColumn> <TableColumn><Width>1.5in</Width></TableColumn> </TableColumns> I tried to do this with XmlDocument method AppenChild but it remove duplicate node. If it is possibile I dont want to use XmlTextWriter. Any idea? Thx Marco I begin loading x...

how do i add holidays into a publisher calendar?
I'm trying to create a calendar for next year, and want to add holidays, festivals and other generally recognized events to it. I also want to add family birthdays etc. Is there an easy way to do at least the holidays etc? without having to add each one individually? Cheers, Kit. I have a calendar on my web page with all the standard holidays in text boxes. You might be able to copy\paste to your calendar instead of typing each holiday. It is called *2009 Holiday Calendar*. http://msauer.mvps.org/publisher_projects2.htm -- Mary Sauer http://msauer.mvps.org/ "Kit" <...

Add space between bars
Hello, I have a graph depicting a number of groups of bars. I can easily create spaces between the groups (options --> gap width), but not between the single bars! Anyone an idea how to do that? Thanks! Cheers, coco ...

Imbedded Web Page without add-in
Hi, I am preparing a presentation to teach a class, and would like to use an interactive website within the presentation. I have considered add-ins like LiveWeb, however, this needs to be installed on the machine on which the presentation will be played. I am unable to install any applications on this computer as a) I won't have access before hand, and b) due to administrative constraints installations are prohibited. As it is an interactive site, this precludes the option of simply taking screenshots. I am aware that I could use a hyperlink and open it up separately in ...

Add time from a date/time field
I have a column named PlannedStartDate that contains a date/time field (ex:2/29/2008 3:15:08 PM) in another column i want to to show what the date/time would be in exactly 2 hours. Figured it out. Zero Hour: ([Planned Start]+(1/12)) "Qaspec" wrote: > I have a column named PlannedStartDate that contains a date/time field > (ex:2/29/2008 3:15:08 PM) in another column i want to to show what the > date/time would be in exactly 2 hours. > A better method might be to use the dateAdd function. Zero Hour: DateAdd("h",2,[Planned Start]) -- John Spencer Acc...

Add Existing... button in CRM 4
Hi; This is more of an abstract question, but can someone help me understand a decent use-case for the buttons that appear on grid toolbars labeled "Add existing [Entity]" (as opposed to the regular Add New button). I'm finding them a nuisance, but I'm fully aware that I might be too thick to comprehend their value. In the absence of any enlightenment from this group, I'd like to remove/suppress them. I'm also open to suggested ways to do that! Thanks, Dave Ireland Hi, "Add Existing" buttons enable user to relate existing record with current ...

need formula to add cell sums by color of cell
I am working in a imported file that I can't change the format but I need to pull out the values of different cells so if I change the color of the cell, I want to total the value of lets say blue. Is that possable Thanks Bruce -- Brucet ------------------------------------------------------------------------ Brucet's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php?action=getinfo&userid=29983 View this thread: http://www.excelforum.com/showthread.php?threadid=496787 http://www.cpearson.com/excel/colors.htm -- Kind regards, Niek Otten "Brucet" <Brucet.20tl6m_11...

workflow emails add hyperlink back to regarding record
Hello all!! The subject may not make much sense, but what I am looking for is a way to add a hyperlink to an email created by workflow. For example, I have a workflow rule for appointments that fires on status change. (when the appointment is completed). It sends an email to the manager with a title “the appointment has been completed: [appointment title]. I would like to add a link in the body of the email that will allow the manager to open up the closed appointment. I have tried the syntax &appointment.activityid; (like in 1.2) to get the appointment guid, but that failed....

VbScript to change Access Trust Center to add a Folder.
Running Access 2007 using the old .mdb from Access 2003 my back end is SQL Server 2008. I will be installing Access 2007 onto my users PC. What I need is a script, preferable VBScript, to run, that will add a folder to the trusted location, this folder contains all my databases from Access 2003 and other files. Anyone have a script like that already running? I am sure it wouldn't be too hard, but I am still learning Access 2007. Thanks -- Message posted via AccessMonster.com http://www.accessmonster.com/Uwe/Forums.aspx/access-conversion/200906/1 You can just set it in the Registr...

favorite not working/not possible to add
If I click on favorite no action happens. this was working earlier. I am not able to add favorite. it displays catastrophic error. Thanks for help in advance. Hi, I replied to your first post- about 7 hours ago. Don [MS MVP- IE] "Abhay" <Abhay@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:BB5E4B8C-48C3-4B70-89BA-ACA685F1D47F@microsoft.com... > If I click on favorite no action happens. this was working earlier. > I am not able to add favorite. it displays catastrophic error. > Thanks for help in advance. ...

How to Add MFC Support to "ATL Service (EXE)"
Hi, I have an ATL Project created as "Service (EXE)" The attributed check box was selected when the Project was created. Now,I want to add MFC support to this ATL Service. I have tried the KB Article:Q173974. Does not work for me. Please dont advise me not to use MFC. Any help in this regard, will be greatly appreciated. Thanks, Suze ...

add button to edit.aspx (contacts)
I want to add a button in CRM which is only shown by creating a new contact (or any other object), this happens in the file edit.aspx. This file is also been used to show the details of a existing item, but then I don't want the button to be displayed. I'm thinking about using javaScript to solve this problem. Editing this edit.aspx is not microsoft supported, this I know, but I haven't found a solution in the sdk. If this problem sounds familiar and you've got some advice to me, I would really appreciate this. Best Regards, Chris Plenter Sometimes unsupported is th...

Add-ons - CRM Relationships Tracking
We are looking to purchase an add-on that would improve upon the existing CRM relationships - allow for easier creation of relationships, and maybe graphical charting to build trees, etc. One such product is SalesCentric's Relationship Charts. We were hoping there were others out there. If you know of any, please let me know. Thanks! You might check out c360's Relationship Explorer (http://c360.com/RelationshipExplorer.aspx ). The only downside is I think you have to purchase the whole Core Productivity Pack if you want to buy it. "LoLoSea" wrote: > We are lookin...

How to put todays date in one cell then the next cell adds x days
What formula do I need to allow me to enter a date (todays) in one cell the the next cell will give me a date x days into the future answer via bgray@redcross.org.au bob Cell one: =Today() Cell two: =C1+x -- Regards, Fred "trekkies" <trekkies@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:5DEFBC3C-4FCD-4A15-B20B-6720DE4A30E1@microsoft.com... > What formula do I need to allow me to enter a date (todays) in one cell the > the next cell will give me a date x days into the future > > answer via bgray@redcross.org.au > > bob ...

Need formula to add numbers that meet two separate criteria from two separate columns
trying to get a SUMIF function working on an important costing repor Need to get the formula to add numbers that meet two separate criteri from two separate columns, and then only add the details I've onl beenn able to get one criteria working at a time. Also, one of them i a date criteria with month and year. plz let me know how i can work this around.. thank -- Message posted from http://www.ExcelForum.com the Sumproduct() function will no doubt do what you want. Start with Going to Help. "mshroff" <mshroff.y9fkm@excelforum-nospam.com> wrote in message news:mshroff.y...

When you get bored of all the options that you have in your wardrobe and want to add some interesting yet smart options to it, purple may be a color worth considering. Even though the first thought
When you get bored of all the options that you have in your wardrobe and want to add some interesting yet smart options to it, purple may be a color worth considering. Even though the first thought that may come to your mind while reading this is that the author is out of his mind, read on and think again. Many people are choosing to adopt the unconventional purple because it makes an elegant and strong fashion statement. http://www.replicab2b.net http://www.replicab2b.net/Replica_Wallets_1.html http://www.replicab2b.net/Replica_Jewelrys_1.html http://www.replicab2b.net/Replica_Shoes_1.html...

Add a field to a Make table on the fly
I have a DB with 5 tbl that all have like keys but different data. I need to be able to search the 5 tbls and return to the user all the find condition and allow them to select the one they want by dblclick. I want to add a field on the fly as I build the search query to id what tbl the record came from is there a simple way? the field can have a constant for each of the different tbl like tbl1, tbl2, etc... -- Les ...