How can I translate text in many cells of an Excel sheet from English to Greek with VBA

Hi all,

I have a spreadsheet with thousands of rows and columns of text that
I'd like to translate into Greek.

Can anyone tell me how I might do that using VBA with some free
service or API online?

Many thanks in advance.

Kim
0
anasttin (4)
2/29/2012 11:11:51 PM
excel 39879 articles. 2 followers. Follow

Kim wrote, on 01st March 2012 00:11 UTC + 1 :
> Hi all,
>
> I have a spreadsheet with thousands of rows and columns of text that
> I'd like to translate into Greek.
>
> Can anyone tell me how I might do that using VBA with some free
> service or API online?
>
> Many thanks in advance.
>
> Kim

Hello,

This is a quite classical question, so maybe you can find some
interesting web pages on the topic.

First of all, if you just want to translate to Greek, and no other
language, maybe the most simple way is to translate the texts "in
place", and save the results in another workbook, adding _gr to the file
name.

Another way of considering the question is to tell you plan to have a
dynamic application that is able to accept new texts and new languages.

You have to create a table with a key in the first column, for instance,
msg_insert_cd, in the second column the english text, for instance,
"Please insert the CD", and in the third column the text in Greek (sorry
I am not able to give it for the example :) ) and that does not prevent
for having the french text in the fourth column and so on.

In your application, you never display a text directly, but instead you
call a function that displays the text, given its key, and the number of
the chosen language. Of course you have to write a few function to
manage that properly.

For instance, you will display
=TranslatedText("ms_insert_cd", numlang)

supposing in the numlang field, you have written the number of the
language in which you wish to display the application. So, for instance,
3 for Greek, and therefore you will return the text in the third column.

You understand that this function will find the key with a vLookup, and
realize the horizontal offset the same way. Do not forget the case the
key is not found, and the case the translation is not provided.

Please pay attention that similar texts can have different translations
according to their contexts, and in such case you must consider them as
different texts, with different keys, and select the correct key to
display the correct text.

0
gloops (4)