Hi

This is driving me ABSOLUTELY NUTS!

How can I keep the rows & columns of data that I am copying and pasting
off a website (my own in this case!), into a spreadsheet... WITHOUT
taking all the data formatting?

If I paste out of Ms IE v6 into Ms Excel (2003), it does at least keep
the
columns (something that doesnt happen if I paste out of FireFox, fwiw).

But it pastes with all the formatting & URLs etc - which I DONT WANT!

OK, I can save as .CSV, close, 2 warnings, and re-open but when done
REPEATEDLY this is a damned nuicance!

Any suggestions?

Ship
Shiperton Henethe

0
shiphen (100)
4/21/2006 9:11:06 AM
excel 39879 articles. 2 followers. Follow

ship wrote:

> How can I keep the rows & columns of data that I am copying and pasting
> off a website (my own in this case!), into a spreadsheet... WITHOUT
> taking all the data formatting?

Try the "Edit | Paste Special" menu, not pasting with a keystroke

0
dingbat (6)
4/21/2006 9:16:09 AM
Doesnt work!
Either you paste HTML, or you lose the columns

Ship
Shiperton Henethe

0
shiphen (100)
4/21/2006 9:21:36 AM
Paste into a helper worksheet that will preserve the formatting and the columns.

Then copy from there, but paste special|values to its rightful home.

--

Dave Peterson
0

--

Dave Peterson
0

--

Dave Peterson
0

I dont follow your drift!
A) What is a "helper worksheet"
B) Where is your thread - I dont seem to be able to see it for some
reason...

Ship
Shiperton Henethe

Dave Peterson wrote:
> Oops.  Never mind.
>
> Dave Peterson wrote:
> >
> > You have another suggestion at your other thread.
> >
> > ship wrote:
> > >
> > > Hi
> > >
> > > This is driving me ABSOLUTELY NUTS!
> > >
> > > How can I keep the rows & columns of data that I am copying and pasting
> > > off a website (my own in this case!), into a spreadsheet... WITHOUT
> > > taking all the data formatting?
> > >
> > > If I paste out of Ms IE v6 into Ms Excel (2003), it does at least keep
> > > the
> > > columns (something that doesnt happen if I paste out of FireFox, fwiw).
> > >
> > > But it pastes with all the formatting & URLs etc - which I DONT WANT!
> > >
> > > OK, I can save as .CSV, close, 2 warnings, and re-open but when done
> > > REPEATEDLY this is a damned nuicance!
> > >
> > > Any suggestions?
> > >
> > > Ship
> > > Shiperton Henethe
> >
> > --
> >
> > Dave Peterson
>
> --
>
> Dave Peterson

0
shiphen (100)
4/21/2006 4:03:25 PM
Insert a new worksheet (just temporary)
Paste there
copy from that new worksheet
go to the real worksheet
paste special|values
delete that temporary worksheet

I didn't notice that you cross posted.  That's what my oops was for.

--

Dave Peterson
0

Meanwhile I now have the reverse problem
I need to paste OUT of excel and into Dreamweaver without
any formatting, table column widths etc...

I have to do this operation quite a lot and for some time
now I've been saving as a CSV file and then
reopening - but there must a better way!

Maybe some web-friendly plug-in or something, no?

Any thoughts?

Ship
Shiperton Henethe

0
shiphen (100)
4/21/2006 5:47:29 PM
P=2ES. Ah sorry yes one problem is that I need the currency
formatting to stay put! e.g. "=A31,000.50" needs to stay visible
in the HTML exactly like that and not get turned into
"1000.5" !

Ship
Shiperton Henethe

0
shiphen (100)
4/21/2006 5:50:01 PM
I use a free utility, NoteTab light. I copy from Excel and paste into
NoteTab light. Then I have it convert the ^t (tabs) to </td><td>.
Finally, I add the new row info in between the lines (</tr><tr>).

Not bad for 10 rows, but I'm eager to hear what others use to do this
operation more efficiently.

BTW, NoteTab can take the markup and data (from View Source), and from
the Modify -> Strip HTML tags, do just that.

-Rajah
ship wrote:
> Ah Yes that's quite clever - why did I think of that - I'll try it.
> (Though why the heck Micro$oft couldnt give us better cleaner
> pasting options is a good point - just the sort of thing that
> generates MASSIVE bad will against them...!)
> Thanks.
>
> Meanwhile I now have the reverse problem
> I need to paste OUT of excel and into Dreamweaver without
> any formatting, table column widths etc...
>
> I have to do this operation quite a lot and for some time
> now I've been saving as a CSV file and then
> reopening - but there must a better way!
>
> Maybe some web-friendly plug-in or something, no?
>
> Any thoughts?
>

> Ship
> Shiperton Henethe

No extra thoughts from me.

--

Dave Peterson
0

--

Dave Peterson
0

I think there used to be some microsoft plug in for
Offfice 2000 (??) but not sure about 2003 which I am now using.
(And Dreamweaver MX 2004, fwiw)

Ship
Shiperton Henethe

0
shiphen (100)
4/21/2006 6:38:22 PM
Fleeing from the madness of the  jungle
Dave Peterson <petersod@verizonXSPAM.net> stumbled into
and said:

> I think I'd apply the formatting after the pasting.  I'm not sure how
> you can do
> a single paste and sometimes copy formats and sometimes not.

If this is a repetitive task, I'd suggest a little scripting (VBA seems
appropriate) would tick the boxes nicely.

--
William Tasso

http://williamtasso.com/words/what-is-usenet.asp
That seems like a reasonable approach.  Maybe the OP will try it.

William Tasso wrote:

> Fleeing from the madness of the  jungle
> Dave Peterson <petersod@verizonXSPAM.net> stumbled into
> and said:
>
> > I think I'd apply the formatting after the pasting.  I'm not sure how
> > you can do
> > a single paste and sometimes copy formats and sometimes not.
>
> If this is a repetitive task, I'd suggest a little scripting (VBA seems
> appropriate) would tick the boxes nicely.
>
> --
> William Tasso
>
> http://williamtasso.com/words/what-is-usenet.asp

--

Dave Peterson
0
petersod (12004)
4/21/2006 9:11:21 PM
This removes formatting so it won't help your currency need, but
anyway:

Sub PasteHtml()
'
' Keyboard Shortcut: Ctrl+Q
' PasteSpecial(Format, Link, DisplayAsIcon, IconFileName, IconIndex,
IconLabel, NoHTMLFormatting)
    ActiveSheet.PasteSpecial NoHTMLFormatting:=True
End Sub

0
mail3 (7)
4/23/2006 5:36:07 PM
Like you say it wont help the currency requirement
but might be helpful on occassion.

But please can you tell me how & where exactly I need insert
this bit of code. Is it an ms Excel macro? If so how do I get
it inserted & working whenever I open msExcel....?

Ship
Shiperton Henethe

0
shiphen (100)
4/24/2006 10:49:57 AM
It might be easier to record a macro and then change it.

Tools > Macro > Record New Macro
Name PasteHTML
Shortcut Ctrl+Shift+V  (or some other key you don't already use)
Store Macro in: Personal Macro Workbook
Click OK

Switch to a web page and copy some text
Switch back to Excel
Edit > Paste Special > Text
Click Stop Recording on the macro toolbar

Window > Unhide > Personal.xls

Tools > macros > macros
Select PasteHTML, click Edit
change the line to read

ActiveSheet.PasteSpecial NoHTMLFormatting:=True

File > Close and return to Excel
Window > Hide
File > Exit and save changes to Personal.xls

I'd also recommend a good book on learning VBA such as John
Walkenbach's, see
http://www.sysmod.com/spreads.htm#Books

Good luck,

Patrick

0
mail3 (7)
4/25/2006 8:06:35 AM
Hi

Nice try - except that you slightly miss the point.
The problem is that as things stand it has to be
Pasted "AS HTML" (i.e. not "as text") otherwise
msExcel loses the table structure!

And of course if you paste a large table "as HTML" into
a spreadsheet it takes all the stupid formatting including
all the URLs etc... and this will at best massively
slow up msExcel - but at worse actually crash it!

Conclusion
Yes may be one could some macro way of doing
it involving saving as .CSV closing and reopening
but that strikes me as EXTREMELY MESSY...!

Ship
Shiperton Henethe

0
shiphen (100)
4/25/2006 5:00:20 PM
P.S.
Plus it often goes wrong!
When you paste HTML into a spread sheet you sometimes
get a table cell throwing a carriage return, with the result
that the data in excel ends up on TWO (rather than just one)
lines.

Ship
Shiperton Henethe

0
shiphen (100)
4/25/2006 5:02:31 PM
P.S.
Plus it often goes wrong!
When you paste HTML into a spread sheet you sometimes
get a table cell throwing a carriage return, with the result
that the data in excel ends up on TWO (rather than just one)
lines.

Ship
Shiperton Henethe

0
shiphen (100)
4/25/2006 5:02:32 PM
P.S.
Plus it often goes wrong!
When you paste HTML into a spread sheet you sometimes
get a table cell throwing a carriage return, with the result
that the data in excel ends up on TWO (rather than just one)
lines.

Ship
Shiperton Henethe

0
shiphen (100)

data input in text box

Counting number of X's in a column

MS Money 95 data files

Lookup based on criteria in 2 columns

Auto-format in Microsoft Excel.

Inserting form values into a table

can't customize toolbar

Sorting Data #5

formula based on format

HELP! remote data not accessible msg

formating date from general2 custom
I have an input xls file with the date but like this: Wed May 14 00:00:00 GMT-05:00 2008 I need to have just following format dd/mm/yyyy I tried to format it using Format->Cells->Date or Format->Cells- >Custom but this is failing. Nothing changed. Any ideas? Thanks for the help. Vlad <vladimir.vaynshtok@gmail.com> wrote in message news:1013b138-352b-4799-81ba-9508b74a1850@t54g2000hsg.googlegroups.com... >I have an input xls file with the date but like this: > > Wed May 14 00:00:00 GMT-05:00 2008 > > I need to have just following format > > d...

Can anyone help ?

DVD off Center and Right side cut off in WMP 11
I am using Windows XP Pro SP3 and just updated to WMP 11. When I play a DVD it seems to be zoomed in or stretched on the screen and the right side of the movie is cut off. I've tried everything I know to do to fix it, and that knowledge is slim! Any suggestions are very much appreciated! ...