How can I add numbers but ignore the minus signs?

How can I add numbers but ignore the minus signs? In the following, the
answer I'm after is 17

A1 -10
A2 5
A3 -2

excel 39879 articles. 2 followers. Follow

=SUMPRODUCT(ABS(A1:A3))

Gord Dibben  MS Excel MVP

On Thu, 07 Jun 2007 04:19:52 GMT, Invalid <invalid@invalid.comINVALID> wrote:

>How can I add numbers but ignore the minus signs? In the following, the
>answer I'm after is 17
>
>A1 -10
>A2 5
>A3 -2

0
Gord
6/7/2007 4:35:34 AM
Gord Dibben <gorddibbATshawDOTca> wrote in

Thank you Gord.

-----

> =SUMPRODUCT(ABS(A1:A3))
>

> Gord Dibben  MS Excel MVP
>
> On Thu, 07 Jun 2007 04:19:52 GMT, Invalid <invalid@invalid.comINVALID>
> wrote:
>
>>How can I add numbers but ignore the minus signs? In the following,
>>the answer I'm after is 17
>>
>>A1 -10
>>A2 5
>>A3 -2

Distribute an add-in using a URL
Hi! I'm trying to get an .xla file to load up in the Add-ins from a URL. I receive the following message when I try to add the URL link.."You cannot use an Internet address here. Enter a path that points to a location on your computer or on the network." ...

How can I insert a cell reference in a footer (eg for variable foo #2
Any ideas on how to do this? I'm trying to create a template with the doc reference number in the footer However, I'm trying to avoid users having to edit the footer (because this just wont get done). Private Sub Workbook_BeforePrint(Cancel As Boolean) With ActiveSheet .PageSetup.LeftFooter = .Range("A1").Text End With End Sub This code should go in the ThisWorkbook code module. -- HTH RP (remove nothere from the email address if mailing direct) "wngg001" <wngg001@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:8A0F9D9E-269F-45CF-A6E3...

I can send but not receive emails in outlook
I have just installed Outlook 2003. I can send emails but cannot receive them. I have confirmed my internet settings with my ISP. If I return to Outlook Express which was installed with Microsoft Works I can still access my incoming mail from there Do you receive any errors when trying to receive? "TeeJay" <TeeJay@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:A1BA6E6F-2C25-460E-9F4F-8A6EB8C9CA96@microsoft.com... >I have just installed Outlook 2003. I can send emails but cannot receive > them. I have confirmed my internet settings with my ISP. If I return to >...

Test Mail...Please Ignore #2
Testing NNTP Client, Please ignore message Thanks ...

Number of active sheets
I have Office 2003 installed to Windows 2003 terminal servers but I have a problem with on of our users and excel. The issue is that when the user is trying to have multiple spreadsheets opened he keeps getting the message "This operations has been cancelled due to system restrictions- Contact your system Administrator" I can find no setting in excel to enforce a limit on the number of speadsheets a user can have open. Thanks in advance fo any advise Michael Not an expert in these matters, but; Is it possible that the user is trying to initiate another session of Excel vs....

Publisher
Have set up a small report 10 pages in total but when printing page 9 I get additional blank pages printing and then my page 10 how do I stop this from happening? Open the Design Checker, see if it tells you anything. Is the page visible in print preview? What version Publisher? Is the publication setup as a booklet? Publisher works in groups of 4 when printing a booklet. With a ten page booklet setup, Publisher will print a blank page. -- Mary Sauer http://msauer.mvps.org/ "charliegirl" <charliegirl@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:F995943A-B6A5-4B6B-...

How do I install when "file ZF561407.CAB can not be found"

Add Text Field Columns
PFDB: IIf(Nz([PFDirect])+Nz([PFBulk])=0,"",Nz([PFBulk])+Nz([PFDirect])) I have two fields both of which are text. When I try to add them as above, I get a concatenated result, not the sum. How does one add them? -- On Fri, 18 May 2007 17:38:49 -0600, bw wrote: > PFDB: IIf(Nz([PFDirect])+Nz([PFBulk])=0,"",Nz([PFBulk])+Nz([PFDirect])) > > I have two fields both of which are text. When I try to add them as above, I get a > concatenated result, not the sum. How does one add them? How does one add "This is text." + "this is also text&qu...

Inserting specific number of records
I have a Data Entry form in which the user have to insert a specific numbrer of record, depending on the type of product he choose. Ej: The product "A" have to have 3 data, so it will need to insert 3 record on the table only, no more. I have created a simple code in VB that I supose to have to restrcit the number of record records, depending on a Textbox value **************************************** CODE **************************************** Private Sub LECTURA_BeforeUpdate(Cancel As Integer) On Error GoTo Err_Lectura Dim Respuesta If Form.CurrentRecord <= Forms...

Owner draw buttons : 2D look...Can it be 3D?
hi, Priyanka here... i created owner draw buttons in my application. but the feel and look of these buttons is not the same as the CButtons. i mean when i click on the CButton, it gives a 3D feel as the text shows some offset and the button gives a pressed look. but in the owner draw buttons, there is no such 3D effect i can see. can we make it possible? Thanks Priyanka priya wrote: > hi, > Priyanka here... > i created owner draw buttons in my application. but the feel and look > of these buttons is not the same as the CButtons. i mean when i click > on the CButton, it gives...

Operations with the same number
Hi, I am working with MS Money here in Brazil. Some banks here have the same operation numbers for different transactions in their statements. For exemple, every Friday I have to pay a bank tax and all these transactions are in the statement with the same number. So when I download them to MS Money, it discards all the transaction but the first because it finds there is already a transaction with that number. Is it possible to configure MS Money not to discard these transactions? What else I could do? Thanks, Rafael. In microsoft.public.money, Rafael wrote: >Hi, I am working with MS...

Can not create Matrix Item please Help RMS 2.0
RMS 2.0 Can not create Matrix Item please Help When trying to create any new items I receive error message This is the message (-2147217864) Row Cannot be located for updating. Some values may have been change since it was last read. Manger still creates standard items but still receives message with out this number in message -2147217864 ...

Is there a work-a-round i can use for making a datagrid....
Hey all, I am trying to make a datagrid on a form that the user would input info, and once completed, it would be put in correct area's of the workbook. I cant use a datagrid as job doesn't alw downloads for net so i cant get the update needed to alw me to use datagrids( see post sugj: "Missing Control In Addin") is there a way i can use a text box or some other box or tool to do this? When you say "form", do you mean UserForm or worksheet set up to look like a data input form? If a UserForm, then yes, you can use TextBoxes, but you didn't supp...

Can anybody tell me what is wrong ...
/* I am trying to practice multidimensional array in a managed class using dynamical allocation. If I tried to compile the following codes, I would get the under mentioned c2440 error message. It is only practice. You may notice that I am not using "private" or constructor here. Can anybody tell me what is wrong and how I can rewrite that line right? Thanks a lot. */ #include "stdafx.h" #include <string.h> #include <string> #using <mscorlib.dll> #include <tchar.h> using namespace System; using namespace std; __gc class Month { public:...

scanner can't read barcodes on paper
My barcode scanner can't seem to read barcodes that I printed out. I will not barcodes on receipt either. any suggestions will be great. Thanks I had the same problem. I only had this problem with certain barcodes. When I looked at the ones that the scanner wasn't reading, I noticed that they all used lower case letters. As soon as I changed the letters to upper case I was able to scan the labels. "country" wrote: > My barcode scanner can't seem to read barcodes that I printed out. > I will not barcodes on receipt either. > > any suggestions will be g...

test please ignore
dasdas ...

autocorrect numbers?
How do I stop excel from rounding up my numbers? I already turned everything off in the autocorrect options thing???? What is the format of the cells in question? Is it "number" with a specified number of decimal places? If so, change it to "general". On Mon, 26 Sep 2005 10:15:03 -0700, "WEFIS" <WEFIS@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote: >How do I stop excel from rounding up my numbers? I already turned everything >off in the autocorrect options thing???? ...

Bug in excel fundamantal add-function
Hi Where can I report a bug in excel? OK I try this group. Try this A1 = -621,2 A2 = 2 A3 = 1 A4 = -540,2 A5 = 175 A6 = 986,4 A7 = SUM(A1:A6) A7 must be 3 - but try to have 13 decimals...!!! is this a BUG? I think so Using Danish XP and danish 2002 SP3 No, it's not a bug. It's a "feature" of XL using IEEE double precision floating point math. Most numbers can't be exactly represented in a finite number of binary digits, just as 1/3 can't be exactly represented by a finite number of decimal digits. You can use ROUND() to round to zero if it's necessary. ...

Can you work this backwards
Previously I used 3 simple formulas (if statements) to calculate a charge, so if E9 =3D=A33000 then the formula for the charge was =3DIF(E9<=3D1000;E9*1.1;"=A3100") then =3DIF(AND(E9>1000;E9 <=3D2000);(E9-1000)*0.9;"=A3200") =3DIF(E9>2000;(E9-2000)*0.5;) Total Cost ... of above 3 items plus E9 (=A33000) Now people are asking to spend a total of =A33000 including the charge, so now Total Cost is to be =A33000 and then I have to work back to find E9. How is the best way to do this please. Bob Hi, Use the "Solver" utility in Excel. Let us suppose ...

How do you change to currency in a table and add columns?
I'm trying to learn to use the new Word and can't figure out in my ribbons how to change numbers to a currency format, as well as viewing the table content to be able to quick sum columns. Help?! Use Excel which is designed for that work. -- Terry Farrell - MSWord MVP "Duprey72" <Duprey72@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:ADB852A4-D4AF-44FF-8F89-AC4B110D080C@microsoft.com... > I'm trying to learn to use the new Word and can't figure out in my ribbons > how to change numbers to a currency format, as well as viewing the tabl...

Migration: Migrated custom fields can't sync with plan
We migrated a set of enterprise global fields from 2003 to 2007. However, some of the post migration changes to these fields can't be reflected into project professional for all plans. Example, we have a project outline code in 2003 called Portfolio, which is a hierarchical set of values. In 2003, we allowed selection of non-leave node and didn't allow multi-selection. After migration, we changed the settings of the field to allow only leave node and multi-selection. However, these changes are neither picked up by migrated project plans nor newly created project plan....

Can't view jpg attachments
All of a sudden, I can't open jpg attachments to email in my Outlook 2000. I have reinstalled Outlook, but with no change. If you can solve this problem, I'll dance at your wedding. Harlan HH <hhhague@comcast.net> wrote: > All of a sudden, I can't open jpg attachments to email in my Outlook > 2000. What happens when you try? Use Windows Explorer's Tools>Folder Options menu to reestablish the association between JPEG files and whatever application you want to use to open them. -- Brian Tillman I have just discovered that I can look at attachment in a rou...

System Sound I can't stop!
I have a clicking sound which I can't stop, I have gone through all the System sounds from Control Panel and done the test for every sound and it isn't there. I've even tried turning off all sounds, but it still keeps on clicking! It's driving me nuts! effdee wrote: > I have a clicking sound which I can't stop, I have gone through all the > System sounds from Control Panel and done the test for every sound and > it isn't there. > > I've even tried turning off all sounds, but it still keeps on clicking! > > It's driving me ...

Can you set up a Word document to accept present tense only?
I was told that you could set a document up using Microsoft Word 2007 to only accept present tense. Is this true? If so, how do you do it? Word 2007 has a "Find all word forms" option in the Find and Replace dialog. This, among other things, will let it search for all verb forms (among other things). That might be what the person was talking about. For example, with this option enabled, if I search for "have", it will also match "having". If I search for "is", it will also match are, be, was, and were (for example). But, there's nothin...

limit on number of characters?
I am using Excel 2003, SP2. I just exported the results of an Access query to Excel and found that the data in one of the fields is being truncated after 255 characters. I can type more than 255 characters in a cell. Does anyone know how I can export more than 255 characters into Excel? Thank you, Judy Ward I don't speak the Access, but Debra Dalgleish once posted this: Or, transfer the data with code. Use the TransferSpreadsheet method to send the data, and specify one of the later Excel versions: '====================== Sub SendTableToExcel() DoCmd.TransferSpreadsheet a...