Hiding and protecting a sheet

I know how to protect a spreadsheet but is there anyway to protect a
spreadsheet, hide it and not allow someone else to unhide the
spreadsheet? I am using Excel 2000. Thank you.
excel 39879 articles. 2 followers. Follow

Hide with code using xlveryhidden. Then it can only be unhidden with code.
Hide the code. Not foolproof but will stop most end users.

--
Don Guillett
Microsoft MVP Excel
"Cardinal" <john.menken@ceridian.com> wrote in message
>I know how to protect a spreadsheet but is there anyway to protect a
> spreadsheet, hide it and not allow someone else to unhide the
> spreadsheet? I am using Excel 2000. Thank you.

0
dguillett1 (2487)
8/15/2008 2:49:55 PM
Just to add to Don's response...

You can actually change the worksheet's visible property inside the VBE.  So
you'd want to protect that from snoopers, too.

But if you really have stuff that shouldn't be seen by others, this kind of
technique isn't very good.  Excel's protection is easily broken.

If you have stuff that others shouldn't see, don't put it into excel.  If you
have to put the info into excel,  then don't share the info with others (or
untrustworthy others).

Cardinal wrote:

> I know how to protect a spreadsheet but is there anyway to protect a
> spreadsheet, hide it and not allow someone else to unhide the
> spreadsheet? I am using Excel 2000. Thank you.

--

Dave Peterson
0

"Cardinal" <john.menken@ceridian.com> wrote in message
>I know how to protect a spreadsheet but is there anyway to protect a
> spreadsheet, hide it and not allow someone else to unhide the
> spreadsheet? I am using Excel 2000. Thank you.

0
no3581 (99)

hide a text box in a continuous form
I have a form that i created that display each form as a row in a continous form. What I need is to have one text field on one row not visible when a check box is checked. Does anyone know how to do this? Thanks! Using Conditional Formatting, evalaute the state of the field bound to the CheckBox to set the Background color of the TextBox to match that of the Background color of the form. You might have to set the Disabled prop via CF as well. There is sample code showing one wat to accomplish this here: http://www.lebans.com/conditionalformatting.htm A2K or Higher Only! New Feb 08,2002...

open an excel sheet in works
Is there a way to download an excel sheet and open in works or works spreadsheet? Not that I know of. -- Don Guillett SalesAid Software donaldb@281.com "mike" <mikeext249@hotmail.com> wrote in message news:754C543F-E2EE-4B4F-9955-58682BCB14D9@microsoft.com... > Is there a way to download an excel sheet and open in works or works spreadsheet? ...

Lookup from a range on separate sheets
Hi, I am trying to look up values from the same fixed range (c50:E200) in 45 sheets and extract the values onto one sheet (same workbook) 3 columns at a time (ie first sheet B-D, second sheet E-G etc). I can't work out how to put the sheet name (or a reference to the sheet number) in a formula in the destination sheet - is it possible or do I have to use a macro? I can write the code for a macro, but as it is statistical process control limits which are added to each month, it means rerunning the macro every time Any help much appreciated! Paul Paul, In the sheet/cells that ...

Increasing # of rows in excel sheet
Hi all.. I usually import data from other programs such as SAP into excel and face the problem of excel running out of Rows.. is there a way that I can increase the total number of rows in my worksheet or any other solution possible to my problem. Thanks Rehan Hi no. 65536 rows is the maximum "Rehan" wrote: > Hi all.. > > I usually import data from other programs such as SAP > into excel and face the problem of excel running out of > Rows.. is there a way that I can increase the total > number of rows in my worksheet or any other solution > possibl...

Embed Sheet
I am working on a sheet with approx 3000 entries, The first colum stores the company name, second stores customer number and so on. company can have many customer numbers which causes alot of compan name repitition in the first column. Is it possible to embed this shee into another one and use a combo box filled with all the company name to access the specific areas of the embedded sheet? Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thankyou, Johnny -- Message posted from http://www.ExcelForum.com Hi, I think this sounds do-able - first look at Chip Pearson's page: http://www.cpearson.c...

Hiding labels on y axes
Some time ago, I asked about two y axes on a chart, the left of which showed whole numbers from 0 to 16 and the right of which showed whole numbers from 0 to 55. I wanted to hide the only number above 12 on the left axis (16) and hide all numbers below 40 on the right axis (0-35). Jon Peltier told me to use custom number formats for both axes, [>=16]" ";0 for the left and [<40]" ";0 for the right. That worked fine. The chart I was then asking about was one I had created for practice. I've now tried to create my "real" chart. The values from which the...

copy data from one worksheet to identical sheet in different workbook
I want to essentially sync the data between 2 identical worksheets in different workbooks. Essentially, I want to import and replace data in the second sheet with data from the first, is there a simple way to do this without deleting the worksheet and then copying the new sheet into the workbook? Thanks You can right-click on your source-sheetname tab, the shortmenu will reflect Copy/MoveSheet.... Select it and make 2 other choices: 1) Check to Create Copy box at bottom 2) From dropdown box at top of screen select an existing open workbook or select new-workbook. OK HTH "a...

Hiding a "Userform" instead of closing it???
I have a push button on my spreadsheet which loads my Userform in the following manner: Sub Button1_Click() UserForm1.Show (vbModeless) ' Display my Userform End Sub When a user presses the "X" button on the Userform object I believe that Excel will terminate the Userform instead of simply "hiding" it by making it invisible. How can I program my Userform to turn invisible instead of terminating itself?? I would rather have the Userform turn invisible so it can maintain its current position on the screen when it is re-activated again..... I not...

Protection Options, Do I need them all?
I have choices of All Shares/All Volumes/Hyper-V and System Protection If I use System Protection (Bare Metal/System State) do I need to backup the volume and shares? Yes, BMR is for the operating system only. It doesn't back up any user data. System State is the associated registry/Active Directory data. Daniel "TechAnalyst" wrote: > I have choices of All Shares/All Volumes/Hyper-V and System Protection > > If I use System Protection (Bare Metal/System State) do I need to backup the > volume and shares? is it better to use native ntbackup tha...

moving to end of sheet
I know that "ctrl-end" should take me to the end of a worksheet. Sometimes, however, it takes me beyond the last row where data is entered, sometimes many blank rows beyond. I've tried deleting those blank rows, making sure there is nothing hidden inthose rows, no conditional formatting, etc., but that doesn't work. If I cut and paste the rows with data into a new sheet, that works (i.e., "ctrl-end" takes me to the last cell with data in it). Is there a way to do this without the cut and paste workaround? Thanks. There are instructions here for resetti...

Software Licensing and Copy Protection
Hi, I am a CrypKey Programmer, knowledgeable in implemting software copy protection and software licensing solutions. If you are looking for such a solution, then drop me an email. Regards, David crypkeyprogrammer@yahoo.com Could you please tell me some good web resource for learning this. Manish "CrypKey Programmer" <CrypKeyProgrammer@Yahoo.com> wrote in message news:jAXEc.961632$oR5.129388@pd7tw3no... > Hi, > > I am a CrypKey Programmer, knowledgeable in implemting software copy > protection and software licensing solutions. > If you are looking for suc...

Hiding Data #2
I want to have a spread sheet that when printed will have some of the data hidden... I thought the most effective method would be to have two almost identical sheets in a workbook, with the "private" data not copied to the second sheet. This would be similar to an invoice sheet. Is there an easy way I can copy a sheet and then when I paste it to another sheet, it will link the data back to the first sheet? Carl Hi Quick and dirty? On the new sheet, cell A1, type = and then click on A1 in your existing sheet. You can then autofill this across and down the new sheet, and then ...

Excel spread sheet
Why random data is replaced with a number symbol. Date entered as 2/2/2010 but ######## shows up in the cell. iCould be a number of reasons: First try either widening the column or reducing the font size. Come back if that doesn't work "hondo" wrote: > Why random data is replaced with a number symbol. Date entered as 2/2/2010 > but ######## shows up in the cell. ...

Insert sheet, move to end, rename with cell data.
I've spent most of my day trying to ask VB to do this for me, but don't know how to communicate it correctly. I have column A in "List"(Sheet1) with 150 entries. I want to create 150 sheets with Sheet numbers of 2-151. However, I would like for the tabs to read what the appropiate cell in "List" says.... ie if +++ (column A) ___ Fun Not Fun Cool +++ was my column, I would like the first four tabs to read "List" (my original sheet), "Fun", "Not Fun", and "Cool". Then they would appear in Microsoft Visual Basic as Sheet1(List...

Excel 2k opens 2 sheets within same window
We have excel2k with sp3 on win2k pro with sp4. my problem is when i open 2 excel sheet both appear within the same window. if i have to switch between the 2 sheets i have to minimise 1 n maximise the next. what i need is to open both the excel sheets in 2 separate excel windows. how do i do this? please advice Hi, Tools>Options>View Under the "show" section, make sure that the "Windows in Taskbar" option is checked. This should solve your problem. It might be slightly different in Excel 2000, but the same options. Hope this helps Sunil Jayakumar "sp...

Merging Protected word documents.
I have 3 Protected word documents that I would like to have in 1 document. I cannot get them to keep their individual spacing ad margins when I import the documents. How can I do this? ...

How to troubleshoot SharePoint recoveries in Data Protection Manag
There are some common issues we run into when troubleshooting SharePoint recoveries so we decided to post a video that covers how to diagnose common SharePoint DPM recoveries using the various logs that are available. The two areas of focus are insufficient space and incorrect templates related issues. The video covers using the MSDPMcurr.errlog, Traclogs, monitoring logs, and the event viewer for our troubleshooting. You can check it out here: http://blogs.technet.com/dpm/archive/2010/02/03/troubleshooting-sharepoint-recoveries-for-dpm.aspx J.C. Hornbeck | Microsoft ...

Hide formula, show result
I have a formula typed into a cell. The cell displays the formula not the result of the formula. The options are set to hide formulas. I know this has something to do with cell formats but I don't recall the solution. Please refresh my memory!!! Thanks Could it be that you have: tools|Options|View Tab|Formulas checked? Or do you have that formula cell formatted as Text? DWJ wrote: > > I have a formula typed into a cell. The cell displays > the formula not the result of the formula. > The options are set to hide formulas. > I know this has something to do with cel...

How do I link cells, sheet to sheet, to recognize row deletions?
In Office XP - Excel - I want to copy a column from one sheet to another sheet in the same workbook. I want the copied links to recognize row deletions and insertions when I change the source sheet. When I use the Copy, Paste Special, Paste Links command, the linked sheet does not recognize a row deletion in the source sheet. Instead, the linked sheet displays a #Ref message in the cell related to the deleted row. One way to try .. Assume the source col to be linked is col A in Sheet1, A1 down In Sheet2 ------------- Put in any starting cell, say A1: =OFFSET(INDIRECT("Sheet1!A1&qu...

CRM 4
Using the IFrame we have displayed the Contacts list for an account in account frame... Now the issue is we have to hide the "Activity Bar" (i.e. top menu with the menus like "New Contact", "Add Existing Contact", blah blah...)... We tried adding below code in onload event without any success. Tried lot of combinations but it does not works... if(crmForm.FormType != 1) { if (document.all.IFRAME_Contacts != null) { document.all.IFRAME_Contacts.src = "/sfa/accts/areas.aspx?oId=" + crmForm.ObjectId + "&oType=1&security=852023&tabS...

Excel Data Protection Best Practice: AKA: Real Sheet Protection
Hello- Any advice for best practices for protecting data/methods/macros within Excel? Clearly, password protecting a sheet isn't the best security (free utilities to crack it). Scenario: - I need users to be able to access the workbook, but by no means, gain access to data within the certain sheets - I can hide the data by utilizing similar colored text and hiding the rows/columns - Once the password is created, it appears there are tons of free utilities that remove these passwords- Bummer. Question: - Any advice to help prevent the utilities from doing this?...

Comparing data in cells on 2 sheets
I am trying to find a way to compare values in a specific cell on 2 sheets, and if they are different values replace the value in the cell on sheet 1 with the value in the cell from sheet 2. MayJay To actually replace a value in a cell would require code as you could not use a function to replace a referenced value. What you could do is use an IF function in another columns which could then replace the old data, so if you are comparing say A1 on Sheet1 with A1 on Sheet2 you could use =IF(A1=Sheet2!A1,A1,Sheet2!A1) You could then copy this down Column A and anywhere where the data did ...

Hide Sheet
I want to hide a sheet in a workbook. The sheet should be visible only when I type a password. Is there a way to do this. Does this need to be done through VBA. Thanks in advance. Dipsy, You can protect the workbook. Tools - Protection - Protect Workbook. This will disallow adding, moving, deleting sheets also though. Or use this code: Sheets("Sheet2").Visible = xlVeryHidden A user won't be able to use Format - Sheets - Unhide. Only code can unhide it. This doesn't require that the workbook be protected. -- Earl Kiosterud mvpearl omitthisword at verizon period...

Copy and rename a sheet
Hi I'm trying to copy the active sheet via VBA and renaming it according to a cell value found in a master data sheet. The sheet that is copied is to be placed after the originalsheet (orgsh). I use the following code: Set orgSh = ActiveSheet Set newSh = ActiveSheet.Copy(After:=ActiveSheet) newSh.Name = "Week" & " " & Sheets("Stamdata").Range("A4").Value But I get an error referring to line 2. Can you help? Thank you Ticotion I use this code in some of my Workbooks. Sub Copy ActiveSheet.Copy After:=ActiveShee...

Hide and Show Toolbars
Hi, I'm trying to use VBA in excel to remove all toolbars on opening a = spreadsheet using auto-open and then to restore all when closing using = aut-close. The code I am using is as follows:- Sub HideAllToolbars() ' Dimension a loop variable. Dim i As Integer ' Loop through the total number of toolbars. For i =3D 1 To Application.Toolbars.Count ' Hide each toolbar. Application.Toolbars(i).Visible =3D False ' End of loop. Next i End Sub ' This is a sub-routine to show all of the toolbars. Sub ShowAllToolbars() 'loop va...