HELPPP Cannot access options in tools menu

Hi,
excel 97, I cannot access options in the tools menu. I get a generic
exception error message. Word, powerpoint, etc are not affected. The only
thing I have done recently is install a pdf converter program (scansoft)
which put tool bar icons in ms office apps. I removed it. I do not know if
that is what caused this. But I need to work This is bad. All of my excel
docs open, but I cannot get into options and I need to.
Thanks so Much
GRCC

0
grccnews (6)
8/18/2004 4:34:23 PM
excel 39879 articles. 2 followers. Follow

Sorry, forgot to add- winXp pro and I have done a complete uninstall and
reinstall of MS Office
Thanks
GRCC
"GRCC" <grccnews@nospamadelphia.net> wrote in message
> Hi,
> excel 97, I cannot access options in the tools menu. I get a generic
> exception error message. Word, powerpoint, etc are not affected. The only
> thing I have done recently is install a pdf converter program (scansoft)
> which put tool bar icons in ms office apps. I removed it. I do not know if
> that is what caused this. But I need to work This is bad. All of my excel
> docs open, but I cannot get into options and I need to.
> Thanks so Much
> GRCC

0
grccnews (6)
8/18/2004 4:57:34 PM
Maybe...

XL97: Page Fault or Violation When You Click Options on the Tools Menu
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;108032

The solution to this was to make sure you upgraded to xl97SR2.

When you click on Help|about, what version do you see?

If it's not xl97sr2, I'd install it.

the kb article has a link to this:
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;EN-US;151261
OFF97: How to Obtain and Install Office 97 SR-2

--

Dave Peterson
ec35720@msn.com
0
ec35720 (10082)
8/18/2004 8:06:54 PM
Hey Dave,
Thanks for the reply. I updated O97 to SR 1. When I did, I got an error
message stating "Fail to install IE Safe Key... excel.sheet.8. So I emptied
the temps foldr, reinstalled the patch and it said OK. When I try to install
SR2 , it says I must first install SR 1? I am not new to windows , I just am
at a loss here. It is the only function that does not work, but it is VERY
important.MSO97 "about" says Sr-1, but the Sr 2 patch says it's not. Also,
The error message I get is not a page fault error and also, I cannot even
get close the General Tab because nothing opens but the error dialog.
excel.exe has encountered a problem and needs to close, etc, etc..."  This
is really pxxxxng me off. Big time. I guess  could wipe HD, reinstall xp
pro, set myself up on the W2K server, and reinstall all my stuff including
office 97 (BTW, the company will not spring for an upgrade, I sure have
tried.) Quite frankly, I cannot believe this is happening. Normally I can
troubleshoot this crap or at least a re install of the offending program
fixes it. Not here?
thank again,
GRCC

"Dave Peterson" <ec35720@msn.com> wrote in message
> Maybe...
>
> XL97: Page Fault or Violation When You Click Options on the Tools Menu
> http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;108032
>
> The solution to this was to make sure you upgraded to xl97SR2.
>
> When you click on Help|about, what version do you see?
>
> If it's not xl97sr2, I'd install it.
>
> the kb article has a link to this:
> http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;EN-US;151261
> OFF97: How to Obtain and Install Office 97 SR-2
>
> GRCC wrote:
> >
> > Hi,
> > excel 97, I cannot access options in the tools menu. I get a generic
> > exception error message. Word, powerpoint, etc are not affected. The
only
> > thing I have done recently is install a pdf converter program (scansoft)
> > which put tool bar icons in ms office apps. I removed it. I do not know
if
> > that is what caused this. But I need to work This is bad. All of my
excel
> > docs open, but I cannot get into options and I need to.
> > Thanks so Much
> > GRCC
>
> --
>
> Dave Peterson
> ec35720@msn.com

You may want to try removing xl97 completely, then reinstall sr1 and sr2.

Maybe it'll work:

OFF97: How to Completely Remove Microsoft Office 97
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;EN-US;158658

"Frank" <stratster68@IHATESPAMworldnet.att.net> wrote in message news:<OyZmBVYhEHA.3320@TK2MSFTNGP11.phx.gbl>...
> Hey Dave,
> Thanks for the reply. I updated O97 to SR 1. When I did, I got an error
> message stating "Fail to install IE Safe Key... excel.sheet.8. So I emptied
> the temps foldr, reinstalled the patch and it said OK. When I try to install
> SR2 , it says I must first install SR 1? I am not new to windows , I just am
> at a loss here. It is the only function that does not work, but it is VERY
> important.MSO97 "about" says Sr-1, but the Sr 2 patch says it's not. Also,
> The error message I get is not a page fault error and also, I cannot even
> get close the General Tab because nothing opens but the error dialog.
> excel.exe has encountered a problem and needs to close, etc, etc..."  This
> is really pxxxxng me off. Big time. I guess  could wipe HD, reinstall xp
> pro, set myself up on the W2K server, and reinstall all my stuff including
> office 97 (BTW, the company will not spring for an upgrade, I sure have
> tried.) Quite frankly, I cannot believe this is happening. Normally I can
> troubleshoot this crap or at least a re install of the offending program
> fixes it. Not here?
> thank again,
> GRCC
>

> "Dave Peterson" <ec35720@msn.com> wrote in message
> > Maybe...
> >
> > XL97: Page Fault or Violation When You Click Options on the Tools Menu
> > http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;108032
> >
> > The solution to this was to make sure you upgraded to xl97SR2.
> >
> > When you click on Help|about, what version do you see?
> >
> > If it's not xl97sr2, I'd install it.
> >
> > the kb article has a link to this:
> > http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;EN-US;151261
> > OFF97: How to Obtain and Install Office 97 SR-2
> >
> > GRCC wrote:
> > >
> > > Hi,
> > > excel 97, I cannot access options in the tools menu. I get a generic
> > > exception error message. Word, powerpoint, etc are not affected. The
>  only
> > > thing I have done recently is install a pdf converter program (scansoft)
> > > which put tool bar icons in ms office apps. I removed it. I do not know
>  if
> > > that is what caused this. But I need to work This is bad. All of my
>  excel
> > > docs open, but I cannot get into options and I need to.
> > > Thanks so Much
> > > GRCC
> >
> > --
> >
> > Dave Peterson
> > ec35720@msn.com
0
ec35720 (10082)
8/19/2004 1:32:15 PM
I did, but thanks. Curious, if you were in this situation, what would you
do? So, you can never use the program again? Very weird situation
Thanks,
Frank
> You may want to try removing xl97 completely, then reinstall sr1 and sr2.
>
> Maybe it'll work:
>
> OFF97: How to Completely Remove Microsoft Office 97
> http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;EN-US;158658
>

> "Frank" <stratster68@IHATESPAMworldnet.att.net> wrote in message
> > Hey Dave,
> > Thanks for the reply. I updated O97 to SR 1. When I did, I got an error
> > message stating "Fail to install IE Safe Key... excel.sheet.8. So I
emptied
> > the temps foldr, reinstalled the patch and it said OK. When I try to
install
> > SR2 , it says I must first install SR 1? I am not new to windows , I
just am
> > at a loss here. It is the only function that does not work, but it is
VERY
> > important.MSO97 "about" says Sr-1, but the Sr 2 patch says it's not.
Also,
> > The error message I get is not a page fault error and also, I cannot
even
> > get close the General Tab because nothing opens but the error dialog.
> > excel.exe has encountered a problem and needs to close, etc, etc..."
This
> > is really pxxxxng me off. Big time. I guess  could wipe HD, reinstall xp
> > pro, set myself up on the W2K server, and reinstall all my stuff
including
> > office 97 (BTW, the company will not spring for an upgrade, I sure have
> > tried.) Quite frankly, I cannot believe this is happening. Normally I
can
> > troubleshoot this crap or at least a re install of the offending program
> > fixes it. Not here?
> > thank again,
> > GRCC
> >

> > "Dave Peterson" <ec35720@msn.com> wrote in message
> > > Maybe...
> > >
> > > XL97: Page Fault or Violation When You Click Options on the Tools Menu
> > > http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;108032
> > >
> > > The solution to this was to make sure you upgraded to xl97SR2.
> > >
> > > When you click on Help|about, what version do you see?
> > >
> > > If it's not xl97sr2, I'd install it.
> > >
> > > the kb article has a link to this:
> > > http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;EN-US;151261
> > > OFF97: How to Obtain and Install Office 97 SR-2

> >  only
> >  if
> >  excel
> > >
> > > --
> > >
> > > Dave Peterson
> > > ec35720@msn.com

0
grccnews (6)
8/19/2004 2:28:20 PM
ATT: Dave,
Just wanted to let you know. I decided to get another copy of Office 97. One
that already had the SR -1 service pack on it. I un-installed and then
reininstalled off97 from the newer CD with the SP1. Then I was able to
install SP2 (couldn't before) Now it works ALL RIGHT. Dave, I don't think I
mentioned I am also a Tech, networks mostly and windows 2000/Xp. I am no
Office wiz. Anyway,thank you for all your help and suggestions. They kept me
going.
Regards,

> I did, but thanks. Curious, if you were in this situation, what would you
> do? So, you can never use the program again? Very weird situation
> Thanks,
> Frank
> "Dave Peterson" <ec35720@msn.com> wrote in message
> > You may want to try removing xl97 completely, then reinstall sr1 and
sr2.

> > Maybe it'll work:
> >
> > OFF97: How to Completely Remove Microsoft Office 97
> > http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;EN-US;158658
> >

> > "Frank" <stratster68@IHATESPAMworldnet.att.net> wrote in message
> > > Hey Dave,
> > > Thanks for the reply. I updated O97 to SR 1. When I did, I got an
error
> > > message stating "Fail to install IE Safe Key... excel.sheet.8. So I
> emptied
> > > the temps foldr, reinstalled the patch and it said OK. When I try to
> install
> > > SR2 , it says I must first install SR 1? I am not new to windows , I
> just am
> > > at a loss here. It is the only function that does not work, but it is
> VERY
> > > important.MSO97 "about" says Sr-1, but the Sr 2 patch says it's not.
> Also,
> > > The error message I get is not a page fault error and also, I cannot
> even
> > > get close the General Tab because nothing opens but the error dialog.
> > > excel.exe has encountered a problem and needs to close, etc, etc..."
> This
> > > is really pxxxxng me off. Big time. I guess  could wipe HD, reinstall
xp
> > > pro, set myself up on the W2K server, and reinstall all my stuff
> including
> > > office 97 (BTW, the company will not spring for an upgrade, I sure
have
> > > tried.) Quite frankly, I cannot believe this is happening. Normally I
> can
> > > troubleshoot this crap or at least a re install of the offending
program
> > > fixes it. Not here?
> > > thank again,
> > > GRCC
> > >

> > > "Dave Peterson" <ec35720@msn.com> wrote in message

Menu

The
> > >  only
> (scansoft)
> know
> > >  if
> > >  excel

0
grccnews (6)
8/19/2004 3:08:58 PM
Glad you got it working.  It can be a struggle getting everything to work.

--

Dave Peterson
ec35720@msn.com

Any reason CurrentDb.TableDefs(0).Connect returns empty sting in Access 2007?
I use the function below to return the server or database name for various uses. However, now that we've switched to 2007 the line CurrentDb.TableDefs(0).Connect which used to return the connection string is returning an empty string. Any ideas? Thanks, Jeremy Function GetConnectionProperty(ServerOrDatabase As String) As String ' Returns name of connected server if "Server" passed in. ' Retuns name of connected Database if "Database" passed in. Dim sConnectionString As String Dim aConnectionPieces() As String Dim sConnectionPiece As String Dim i As ...

How to access macros via tool buttons?
Excel v2007 When using v2003, I had many macros In my Personal.xls, which I accessed via custom tool buttons on many custom toolbars that I built. I now have version 2007, which includes my old Personal.xls with all my macros, but I want the easy access to those macros I used to have. Being the tool ribbon is a different system, what is now the strategy for fast button-clickable launching of macros? Are buttons built, menus, what? [I already know about the Quick Access Toolbar, but I have over a hundred macros I previously had divided onto several toolbars that I'd hide and s...

Menu wont delete!
My application uses a CMDIFrameWnd to display documents. The documents are generated in a CMDIChildWnd object. The problem is the the MDI child (i think) is creating an extra menu on top which I dont need. I tried deleting the menu inside the OnCreate method, but it does not get rid of the menu. Here is how my application looks right now with two menus at the top. http://www.limefocus.net/screenshot4.jpg Here is a snippet of code that I used to delete the top menu: int CChildFrame::OnCreate(LPCREATESTRUCT lpCreateStruct) { this->GetMenu()->DestroyMenu(); this->SetMenu(NUL...

menu event functions
Sorry, I am a new bee here. I wanted to know in which class should I keep my menu OnCommand functions. Should those be in App class or frame class or view class or doc class. As you know for SDI we keep it in App class. Thank you Lee Also I wanted to add that I want this to know in case of MDI application. Thank you, Lee yang__lee@ausi.com wrote: > Sorry, > > I am a new bee here. > I wanted to know in which class should I keep my menu OnCommand > functions. > Should those be in App class or frame class or view class or doc > class. > > As you know for SDI...

replicas de access
como puedo quitar las replicas de access -- "Por mi raza hablara el espiritu" If you mean 'removing' the replications features... you can start with http://www.trigeminal.com/lang/1033/utility.asp?ItemID=7#7 (note that the site is multilingual). Vanderghast, Access MVP "victor kingobol" <dvarich@hotmail.com> wrote in message news:289D68ED-F580-47C1-83B2-1743917FC6A6@microsoft.com... > como puedo quitar las replicas de access > -- > "Por mi raza hablara el espiritu" ...

allow folders in access
It's pretty common to have logical groupings of queries, reports and so on. It would be great if Access provided a grouping mechanism - via named folders or something similar - within the object management panes. For example, if I'm creating a report - MyReport - that has several subreports - MySubreport1, MySubreport2 and MySharedSubreportA - I could set things up in the Reports pane like this: - MyReportFolder [folder] MyReport [rpt obj] MySubreport1 [rpt obj] MySubreport2 [rpt obj] - MySharedSubreports [folder] MySharedSubreportA [rpt obj] Two things to note: ...

Microsoft Outlook Web access #3
I use this to pull office emails at home. Up until Tuesday, this worked fine. Wednesday I was unable to get any new mail(said nothing to view) even though Wednesday is the one day I know there will be early morning mail as it it the day I get a newsletter. I had downloaded something on my office computer on Tuesday, so I uninstalled. When I got home, same thing . This time the response was a error symbol in lower left. Since I have Windows XP, I did a restore to Monday. Still nothing. I am still getting nothing to view or the error symbol with no additional information. Any ...

Message of: a program is trying to access email addresses
you have stored in outlook. Do you want to allow this. Why does this show up when a MAPI account tries to use this. It there something in a security setting I can change? Thanks. See if the information on the following page helps: http://www.slipstick.com/outlook/esecup.htm#autosec -- Jocelyn Fiorello MVP - Outlook *** Replies sent to my e-mail address will probably not be answered -- please reply only to the newsgroup to preserve the message thread. *** "Kim Newberry" <olgkim@tampabay.rr.com> wrote in message news:004901c34d57$c602c670$a601280a@phx.gbl... > you...

Access 2007 and windows 7 12-25-09
Under windows xp and vista. I was using a batch file to compact a database, now under windows 7 it does not work I get an error. EXAMPLE: "c:\Consulting Tracking Program\Consulting Tracking.accdb" /compact Now I get a message box saying that was a problem sending the command to the program. Thanks for the help OD "OD" wrote: > Under windows xp and vista. I was using a batch file to compact a database, > now under windows 7 it does not work I get an error. > > EXAMPLE: > > "c:\Consulting Tracking Program\Consulting Tra...

how do I create an adp in access 2010
My commercial app developed over ten years uses an Access adp 'structure file' connected to SQL Server. I want to try developing in the Access 2010 IDE but can't figure out how to get started. Yes, I could create an adp in 2007 or 2003 and open it in 2010 but that's cheating! Stephen Solt Planchest ltd Hi, it looks like there is no way to create adp in 2010 (but keep in mind - 2010 is beta yet). Microsoft recommends making MDB with linked tables, and perhaps reduces support for ADP -- Best regards, ___________ Alex Dybenko (MVP) http://accessblog....

Opening Access Database file
I am trying to open my access database file on my home computer but i get a message that i will not be able to make changes to it. Is there a way to work around it. By the way i had been using this file with GeoMedia. If any wizard can guide me in the right direction i will be thankful to him or her. Thanks, NED I'm not sure what GeoMedia is, but if you copied the file to your PC from elsewhere, the read-only attribute may be set. Try this ... Using either 'My Computer' or 'Windows Explorer', navigate to the folder that contains your MDB. Right-click the MDB and...

Access 1.10 MDV file conversions to
I have an old Access data base that has never been updated over the last decade. I have been told by a consultant that the new version of Access will not convert this earlier .mdv files to the current format. Does anyone know if this is the case? I assume you mean MDB files, and yes, it's true that the latest version of Access (Access 2003) cannot open Access 1.x files. To be honest, I forget the last version that was capable of converting those files. -- Doug Steele, Microsoft Access MVP http://I.Am/DougSteele (no e-mails, please!) "todd@mcadamsbuilders.com" <anony...

Chrome and Menu Control
I have an asp.net 3.5 framework website that uses asp.net Menu controls both horizontal and vertical. When I use the website on IE or Firefox the controls work and look fine. However, when using Google Chrome, they look strange and background, alignment and hover properties do not work correctly. Is there any way to assure the Menu control works the same in all major browsers? Thanks. -- David ...

Use list options to hide columns
Excel 97 Hi, I was wondering if the following is possible in excel: <big deep breath> I have 4 separate worksheets for data entry and results calculation for radiation detection, each is a separate type of test. These worksheets/tests share a lot of common Fields for data input and calculations, what I want to do is combine the worksheets and show/hide only the columns relevant to each test. In column A, I have added a drop down list of 4 different types of test. Depending on the type of test I select; call them A, B, C & D Can I use a List to control which columns are sho...

Remote options to CRM 3.0
What are my options to let end users access CRM 3.0 off our regular network? Web Page - Webpage must be SSL, in order to encrypted the data Offline Outlook client Mobile Device Option VPN Thanks, Eric Sabo May also consider Terminal Service/Critix Client. Frank Lee, Microsoft CRM MVP Workopia, Inc. http://microsoft-crm.spaces.live.com http://www.workopia.com/Links.htm "Sabo, Eric" wrote: > What are my options to let end users access CRM 3.0 off our regular network? > > Web Page - Webpage must be SSL, in order to encrypted the data > Offline Outlook client > M...

Web Services access to MS-CRM by Java and http: post
I am trying to integrate MS-CRM with a number of non .NET based applications. While it's true that MS-CRM is based on a web services architecture, the only way I've been able to successfully integrate is by uilding .NET code using the Microsoft Proxy dll. Is there any third party integrator that simply takes all the Microsoft CRM objects and exposes them through standard SOAP calls or better yet, http posts? I want to be able to call alll of the MS-CRM objects from non .NET platforms without having to custom code every object. - Sterling This is a multi-part message in MIME forma...

IMF: Shouldn't this option be in the product?
IMF is setup and working wonderfully. I'm using IMF and Connection Filter. The problem is, we have obscure mailboxes (AD accounts w/ Exchange mail) that sometimes receive email. The email generally comes from users who send via HTML forms. So the email looks like UCE, but it's not. How do I configure IMF to say "any time an email is addressed to 'fred@ourdomain.com' always let it thru?" Many thanks and kudos in advance to who knows the answer IMF: How to exclude recipients from IMF filtering http://www.exchangepedia.com/blog/2006/04/imf-how-to-exclude-recipie...

SQL options and new upgrade GP9.0 (from GP7.5)
Here is my problem after I upgraded to GP9.0. I need to add a user with GP, unless I refresh its password (in SQL Enterprise Manager) and re-define its properties, I cannot use it to access GP moreover, use SQL resources. I also discoverred that DYNGRP dont have permissions on some of the GP tables. Also when I change the password in GP. It does not update the one used in SQL. Why is that? How can I correct this issue? If you create a user in GP the password is encrytped by GP so that the password that is sent to SQL is not the same. This is why a GP user can not do anything in SQL...

Accessing Document in SDI
How do I access the document from the main frame in an SDI application? GetActiveDocument: http://msdn2.microsoft.com/en-US/library/cdc4chb3.aspx --- Ajay ...

Time Onbehalf of Option Active only
Business Portal 3.0 HRM Self Services: Site Settings > HRM Self Service > Timecard Entry Setup Currently in the timecard entry setup screen the default display is for all employee cards in the employee master table. It would be nice if there was an option to display this window with only the active employee's. Reason for is because as company's have turn over the inactive employee name will continue to display in the window. This file could become large depending on the number of employee's. Sorting through the list would be much easier if only active employee da...

support case options
I am looking to be able to assign a single support case to multiple Accounts. Is there any way that this can be done in MSCRM. Is there a way to do this thru System Customization? If so, is it a matter of adding fields to the form, and does it change the way that reporting is handled. Any help is greatly appreciated. Stan ...

I cannot access any hyperlinks in e-mail messages I receive.
Somebody or something has changed access settings in my Outlook e-mail. If I click on a hyperlink I receive a message telling me that it can't perform this action and that this computer has restrictions and I should contact my system administrator. Unfortunately, that's me!! Help! woofandduke wrote: > Somebody or something has changed access settings in my Outlook e-mail. If I > click on a hyperlink I receive a message telling me that it can't perform > this action and that this computer has restrictions and I should contact my > system administrato...

Running Access Query Returns Incorrect Number of Records
I am running some code which loops through and runs the queries in an Access Database. The count of the records is then stored in a Worksheet. For most of the queries, the figure stored in the Worksheet matches the number of records if you run the query in Access. But for certain queries, the count of the records does not match the number of records when the query is run in Access. If I change the query to a make table query and then base another query on that table, the results are correct. Can anybody suggest running the query from Excel would results in a different number of records bein...

how to active the ribbon Tab automatically when the form opens[Access 2007]
Dear I built a ribbon tab for a form. It works fine and when the form opening, the ribbon will be loaded fine. But it would be focus (or active) automatically. It still focus in the tab where I set now. Please help.!!urgent.!! Another question: is the callbacks for the ribbon always in Modules? I remember in Access 2003, the callbacks function could be in the form class modules. If all the callbacks should be in the Modules, does it mean we need distinguish which form or report is active now? Thank you very much. Jason Jiang Hi Ribbon is the new command bar system in office 2007...

email access in outlook from a cruise ship
I'm going on a cruise to Alaska and I need to access my email to answer quotes, ( working vacation ) thanks. -- doug blair doug blair wrote: > I'm going on a cruise to Alaska and I need to access my email to answer > quotes, ( working vacation ) thanks. > > > > i don't quote understand what you mean. if your cruise ship gives you access to the Internet, you should be able to use Outlook. Check with your mail provider to see if what kind of web access they = offer. This isn't an Outlook issue per se.=20 --=20 Sue Mosher, Outlook MVP Author of ...