Help with time subtraction

This is probably a basic question, but here it is anyway.

The 1st cell I want start time, 2nd cell finish time, 3rd cell will be the
difference in the first to cells in #hours # minutes, or even decimal hours.

| 8:00 AM | 1:30 PM |  5 hrs. 30 min.|

Thanks Jeff

jg1 (9)
6/1/2004 9:28:32 PM
excel 39879 articles. 2 followers. Follow

=cell2 - cell1, formatted as time for hours/minutes view, or

=(cell2 - cell1)*24 for decimal hours

--
Regards
              Sys Spec - Win XP Pro /  XL 97/00/02/03

"JG" <jg@jg.net> wrote in message news:40bcf55c_6@corp.newsgroups.com...
> This is probably a basic question, but here it is anyway.
>
> The 1st cell I want start time, 2nd cell finish time, 3rd cell will be the
> difference in the first to cells in #hours # minutes, or even decimal hours.
>

> | 8:00 AM | 1:30 PM |  5 hrs. 30 min.|
>

> Thanks Jeff

> -----==  Over 100,000 Newsgroups - 19 Different Servers! =-----

---

ken.wright (2489)
6/1/2004 10:11:52 PM
One way:

    =B1-A1

formatted as an elapsed time.

Since XL stores times as fractional days, to get decimal hours multiply
the difference by 24:

    =(B1-A1)*24

In article <40bcf55c_6@corp.newsgroups.com>, "JG" <jg@jg.net> wrote:

> This is probably a basic question, but here it is anyway.
>
> The 1st cell I want start time, 2nd cell finish time, 3rd cell will be the
> difference in the first to cells in #hours # minutes, or even decimal hours.
>

> | 8:00 AM | 1:30 PM |  5 hrs. 30 min.|
0
jemcgimpsey (6723)