Help With Sorting #3

Gudday to all XL gurus.

I need some help on using the SORT function.
I have a list of 100 competitors in a scoring spreadsheet that I hav
written.

I was trying to sort by surname (a-z). The problem is that this list i
generated elsewhere and contains VLOOKUP functions. Obviously if i hav
less than 100 competitors I end up with some cells appear blank bu
contain VLOOKUP functions. XL sorts them first and I want them sorte
last after the surnames (a-z). I cant add a helper column as this lis
relates to over 48,000 forumulaes and functions that are already added
If I add a helper column I have to re write all those formulaes.

I tried adding a custom list in the tools - options - custom lists bu
that still doesnt work.

ANY HELP WOULD BE GREATLY APPRECIATED

cheers and thanks guys/gals
CHAPPO55

--
chappo55
chappo555's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php?action=getinfo&userid=3606

excel 39879 articles. 2 followers. Follow

Hi

I can't see why you would need to re-write all your formulae, but anyway
a helper column can be placed anywhere on the sheet. Place it to the far
right of your block of data, and assuming your column with the Names is
column A, in this new helper column enter
=IF(A2="",REPT("Z",255),A2)
and copy down
Any cells returning Null from your Vlookup's will be converted to a
string of Z's.
Now mark the whole block of data (including your new column to the far
right) and sort ascending on the new column.

--
Regards

Roger Govier

"chappo555" <chappo555.2amm7o_1152361502.283@excelforum-nospam.com>
wrote in message

> Gudday to all XL gurus.
>
> I need some help on using the SORT function.
> I have a list of 100 competitors in a scoring spreadsheet that I have
> written.
>
> I was trying to sort by surname (a-z). The problem is that this list
> is
> generated elsewhere and contains VLOOKUP functions. Obviously if i
> have
> less than 100 competitors I end up with some cells appear blank but
> contain VLOOKUP functions. XL sorts them first and I want them sorted
> last after the surnames (a-z). I cant add a helper column as this list
> relates to over 48,000 forumulaes and functions that are already
> added.
> If I add a helper column I have to re write all those formulaes.
>
> I tried adding a custom list in the tools - options - custom lists but
> that still doesnt work.
>
> ANY HELP WOULD BE GREATLY APPRECIATED
>
> cheers and thanks guys/gals
> CHAPPO555
>

> --
> chappo555
> chappo555's Profile:
> http://www.excelforum.com/member.php?action=getinfo&userid=36060
> View this thread:

roger5293 (1125)
7/8/2006 1:16:31 PM
Thanks for that, unfortunatly I had thought of that option. The proble
is that Column A is used as a source for over 20 other pages of data
All of those pages rely on =if(isblank(name in co
A),"****",vlookup,name in col A,one of 20 other sheets,other cell,row)
(example used).
If I change data in Column A to z rept, 255 then all of the other 2
sheets start looking for data which wont exist if there is NOT SUPPOSE
to be a name allocated to that cell in Col A.
If I use that forumula you described I will end up with #name or #erro
values or I have to re write all of the other VLOOKUPS and thats
nightmare because you cant succesfully cut and past VLOOKUP as the
rely on different sort data and col number to find the data they ar
after.
Additionally I cant add a helper column to the right of my print dat
as all of my other calculations I need for splitting ties etc are ther
and they all have combination and absolute cell references combine
along with some more VLOOKUP so they cant be moved so I have print dat
I need to sort - then absolute data (cant be moved) then my helpe
column that Id wish to sort by, so to select my sort area including th
helper column I have to highlight the absolute data and when sort move
it it would screw up my calculations.

Reading this back sounds like I've painted myself into a corner doesn
it !!

Any help appreciated.

cheers chapp

--
chappo55
chappo555's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php?action=getinfo&userid=3606
View this thread: http://www.excelforum.com/showthread.php?threadid=55959

Why doesn't a custom sort list work?  It should, how are you applying it?

--
HTH
Nick Hodge

"chappo555" <chappo555.2amr2n_1152367802.1466@excelforum-nospam.com> wrote
in message news:chappo555.2amr2n_1152367802.1466@excelforum-nospam.com...

> Thanks for that, unfortunatly I had thought of that option. The problem
> is that Column A is used as a source for over 20 other pages of data.
> All of those pages rely on =if(isblank(name in col
> A),"****",vlookup,name in col A,one of 20 other sheets,other cell,row))
> (example used).
> If I change data in Column A to z rept, 255 then all of the other 20
> sheets start looking for data which wont exist if there is NOT SUPPOSED
> to be a name allocated to that cell in Col A.
> If I use that forumula you described I will end up with #name or #error
> values or I have to re write all of the other VLOOKUPS and thats a
> nightmare because you cant succesfully cut and past VLOOKUP as they
> rely on different sort data and col number to find the data they are
> after.
> Additionally I cant add a helper column to the right of my print data
> as all of my other calculations I need for splitting ties etc are there
> and they all have combination and absolute cell references combined
> along with some more VLOOKUP so they cant be moved so I have print data
> I need to sort - then absolute data (cant be moved) then my helper
> column that Id wish to sort by, so to select my sort area including the
> helper column I have to highlight the absolute data and when sort moves
> it it would screw up my calculations.
>
> Reading this back sounds like I've painted myself into a corner doesnt
> it !!
>
> Any help appreciated.
>
> cheers chappo
>

> --
> chappo555
> chappo555's Profile:
> http://www.excelforum.com/member.php?action=getinfo&userid=36060
> View this thread: http://www.excelforum.com/showthread.php?threadid=559598

I don't think you understand exactly what Roger suggested!

You're *not changing* anything in Column A.

You're adding a (helper) column, in an out-of-the-way location, but still
contiguous to the data,  which configures *itself* according to the data in
Column A, and then using *that* 'helper' column as the sort key.

Do you follow?
--

Regards,

RD
-------------------
-------------------

[...]

0
ragdyer1 (4060)
7/8/2006 2:40:40 PM
Thanks for the replies but still cant figure it out

Nick HODGE - In answer to your question:
I am trying to record a macro (im very basic with macros) and selec
the data, sort, first key order, change to custom list that I hav
added through tools, options, custom lists.

I tried a custom list of just a to z but that didnt work and then
tried reversing the default sort order under help seach ie a to z an
then all the other characters.

NEITHER seems to work despite my efforts.

I am trying to sort alphabetically but all the surnames come from othe
sheets and some will appear blank (depending on the number o
competitors that I actually have ranging from 5 to 100) but these cell
contain forumulaes.

In answer to the other answer. If contiguous means that it must b
attached to the data, ie my data goes from Col A to Col AT (which i
does), I already have helper colums in AU to ZC inclusive ( all thes
are if(isblank(xx),"**",vlookup etc.

So I cant add a col at AT and I cant insert one at Col A as it wil
stuff up over 19,000 formulaes that I already have

cheers
chappo555

--
chappo55
chappo555's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php?action=getinfo&userid=3606
View this thread: http://www.excelforum.com/showthread.php?threadid=55959

To get a custom sort to work, you should rearrange your 100 names in to the
order you want and then add that list to the custom sort.  Then when you use
the custom sort it will sort in the same order as your preset list

e.g a list loaded as a custom one like so

Nick Hodge
Chip Pearson
John Walkenbach
Bob Phillips
Gord Dibben

would sort a list like this

Nick Hodge
Chip Pearson
Gord Dibben
Nick Hodge
Bob Phillips
John Walkenbach
Bob Phillips

Like this

Nick Hodge
Nick Hodge
Chip Pearson
John Walkenbach
Bob Phillips
Bob Phillips
Gord Dibben

--

"chappo555" <chappo555.2aq43l_1152524651.6057@excelforum-nospam.com> wrote
in message news:chappo555.2aq43l_1152524651.6057@excelforum-nospam.com...

> Thanks for the replies but still cant figure it out
>
> Nick HODGE - In answer to your question:
> I am trying to record a macro (im very basic with macros) and select
> the data, sort, first key order, change to custom list that I have
> added through tools, options, custom lists.
>
> I tried a custom list of just a to z but that didnt work and then I
> tried reversing the default sort order under help seach ie a to z and
> then all the other characters.
>
> NEITHER seems to work despite my efforts.
>
> I am trying to sort alphabetically but all the surnames come from other
> sheets and some will appear blank (depending on the number of
> competitors that I actually have ranging from 5 to 100) but these cells
> contain forumulaes.
>
> In answer to the other answer. If contiguous means that it must be
> attached to the data, ie my data goes from Col A to Col AT (which it
> does), I already have helper colums in AU to ZC inclusive ( all these
> are if(isblank(xx),"**",vlookup etc.
>
> So I cant add a col at AT and I cant insert one at Col A as it will
> stuff up over 19,000 formulaes that I already have
>
> cheers
> chappo555.
>

> --
> chappo555
> chappo555's Profile:
> http://www.excelforum.com/member.php?action=getinfo&userid=36060
> View this thread: http://www.excelforum.com/showthread.php?threadid=559598

Hi

If you are at column ZC, then you must be using XP2007.
Since that ends at column XFD, why can't you add a column at ZD?

--
Regards

Roger Govier

wrote in message

> Thanks for the replies but still cant figure it out
>
> Nick HODGE - In answer to your question:
> I am trying to record a macro (im very basic with macros) and select
> the data, sort, first key order, change to custom list that I have
> added through tools, options, custom lists.
>
> I tried a custom list of just a to z but that didnt work and then I
> tried reversing the default sort order under help seach ie a to z and
> then all the other characters.
>
> NEITHER seems to work despite my efforts.
>
> I am trying to sort alphabetically but all the surnames come from
> other
> sheets and some will appear blank (depending on the number of
> competitors that I actually have ranging from 5 to 100) but these
> cells
> contain forumulaes.
>
> In answer to the other answer. If contiguous means that it must be
> attached to the data, ie my data goes from Col A to Col AT (which it
> does), I already have helper colums in AU to ZC inclusive ( all these
> are if(isblank(xx),"**",vlookup etc.
>
> So I cant add a col at AT and I cant insert one at Col A as it will
> stuff up over 19,000 formulaes that I already have
>
> cheers
> chappo555.
>

> --
> chappo555
> chappo555's Profile:
> http://www.excelforum.com/member.php?action=getinfo&userid=36060
> View this thread:

roger5293 (1125)
7/10/2006 8:26:35 PM
If the OP's problem is that blanks sort to the top, I don't think that a
custom list will help.

--
Debra Dalgleish
Contextures

0
dsd1 (5911)
7/10/2006 9:02:44 PM
Debra

I missed the blanks bit as it appeared originally that he just wanted his
names sorted by last name.  It is still confusing why he can't use a helper
column also

--

"Debra Dalgleish" <dsd@contexturesXSPAM.com> wrote in message
> If the OP's problem is that blanks sort to the top, I don't think that a
> custom list will help.
>
> Nick Hodge wrote:
>> To get a custom sort to work, you should rearrange your 100 names in to
>> the order you want and then add that list to the custom sort.  Then when
>> you use the custom sort it will sort in the same order as your preset
>> list
>>
>> e.g a list loaded as a custom one like so
>>
>> Nick Hodge
>> Chip Pearson
>> John Walkenbach
>> Bob Phillips
>> Gord Dibben
>>
>> would sort a list like this
>>
>> Nick Hodge
>> Chip Pearson
>> Gord Dibben
>> Nick Hodge
>> Bob Phillips
>> John Walkenbach
>> Bob Phillips
>>
>> Like this
>>
>> Nick Hodge
>> Nick Hodge
>> Chip Pearson
>> John Walkenbach
>> Bob Phillips
>> Bob Phillips
>> Gord Dibben
>>

> --
> Debra Dalgleish
> Contextures

Contiguous means it has to be part of the same table (no blank column or
row separating it), but it doesn't have to be adjacent to the section
with the data. It could be added to the far right of the table, in
column ZD, as Roger suggested.

--
Debra Dalgleish
Contextures
http://www.contextures.com/tiptech.html

0
dsd1 (5911)

Help Journal Names
I use the Journal all the time to help track what I'm doing For journaling items such as excel files, and word documents, it would preferable to show just the name of the document rather than the full path to the document (which appears on mouse-hover anyway). My paths tend to be long, so the only way I can find the name of the document is to mouse over. Anybody know if there is a way to just display the document name - without the path information? Thanks for any advice. -- Dab Cut off: yourhead to respond ...

Formula help #41
Xl2000 Been trying to get this right, and I think it is simple but I am not getting it. What I have is: Column B “amount Rec’d”, Column C “Purchases”, Column D “Cash out”, Column E “Balance”. I am trying to put together a formula in Column E that will only give a result when data is entered into either B, C, or D. Then be able to copy it all the way to row 36, and not have anything in Column E until data is entered into the corresponding row. I know this is easy but I am not getting it. Please Help Mike R. Hi! Will you always enter data in B1, C1 and D1 as a group? If=20 so, yo...

Tricky
Hi All, I have a tricky excel macro opportunity..... My sheet(s) consist of sales data for a number of companies, populating columns A through to O. Column A lists company names. Column M lists Sales $ achieved. Within column A, there may be a group of identical entries (company names) that are differentiated somewhere else in the sheet. What I would like to do is sort by group of companies first, so the group of like named companies in column A with the greatest aggregate total of sales in column M should be listed at the top of the sorted list then each of the comanies within the gr...

Removing Blank Rows #3
I have an excel workbook with three sheets: _FIRST_SHEET_ This sheet has three columns. Column A is simply a set of random numbers. Column B is empty and is designed so that the spreadsheet user can place an x next to values in Column A that the user would like to "mark". Column C has an "if" formula that basically says, =if(B1="x", A1, "") So now, any "A" cell that I select by placing an "x" in the "B" column is copied into Column C. _SECOND_SHEET_ I'd like Column A in this sheet to pull the values from Column...

Help descriptions in Save, Save As windows
In Office 2004, I've noticed that the Save and Save As dialog windows=20 contain toward the bottom a box with help descriptions that change as = you=20 mouse over various options. Office X had this feature only in the = preferences=20 window. Is there any way to turn this feature off in Office 2004? In article <0dd001c46e9c$27f18630$a301280a@phx.gbl>, "B McNeill" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote: > In Office 2004, I've noticed that the Save and Save As dialog windows > contain toward the bottom a box with help descriptions that change as you ...

on line help can't find the word 'customer' (or anything else)
Any idea what Im doing wrong? Surely this must work : ) Repro steps: 1. From the CRM 'My Home Page' click 'Help' from the toolbar. 2. From the resulting drop-down menu box select 'Contents' or 'User's Guide' (either selection seems to bring up the same help content). 3. The CRM Help system menu appears, with a 'Find' text entry box available at the top of the page. Enter the word 'Customer' and press the 'Go' command button. 4. CRM help responds with the following message: No results were found that matched the query "cu...

Sorting in different culture
Hi! When we sort for example an array of char it's the numeric value for the character that is used to decide which one is greater then the other. But my question is if we look at other language and culture how is the sorting done there is it based on the numeric value for the character to decide which character is greter then another. I mean in english if we have the character cba it could have been implemented without using the numeric values for the character. So the sorting of cba might have given bac. //Tony Tony Johansson wrote: > Hi! > > When...

I keep geeting Send and Recieve Error 0x 800 40 900 Help ???
"Neil" <Neil@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:588957C2-E366-44A4-AE6B-A6DC0F9B29DA@microsoft.com... > Recheck your pop3 settings. Shrikant Dongliker "Neil" <Neil@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:588957C2-E366-44A4-AE6B-A6DC0F9B29DA@microsoft.com... > ...

Please Help Formula
:confused: Hi, In column A I have let's say 1000 numbers. In cell B1 I want the average of cells A:10, A:20, A:30, A:40 etc. etc. A990:A1000 How can I copy the formula to 1000. I hope someone can help me. Regards, Melle Netherlands -- melle ------------------------------------------------------------------------ melle's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php?action=getinfo&userid=26981 View this thread: http://www.excelforum.com/showthread.php?threadid=473345 You're asking how to get the average of the values in every 10th cell, right? =AVERAGE(IF(MOD(ROW...

bar graph #3
I am making a simple bar graph. every time I go to change the x axis from numbers to year dates, the bars disappear??? Hi, What values are you setting the axis to? What are the min/max values of your data? Cheers Andy -- Andy Pope, Microsoft MVP - Excel http://www.andypope.info "adag59" <adag59@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:12C0CB46-44BB-48E9-8B45-5F8B6108DF61@microsoft.com... >I am making a simple bar graph. every time I go to change the x axis from > numbers to year dates, the bars disappear??? min 1996 max 2007 values 1/years "Andy P...

"Adding" Named Users to Business Portal (3.0 or 4.0)
Hello: A client of ours already has Business Portal, but they want to set it up with 25 Named Customers to be able to view their invoices, shipping, and inventory. The time to set this up is pretty nominal, isn't it? I mean, is it a matter of simply entering new registration keys and showing the customers how to use the Portal or is there a lot more work involved than this? Thanks! childofthe1980s Nevermind....I researched and got my answers "childofthe1980s" wrote: > Hello: > > A client of ours already has Business Portal, but they want to set it up > w...

Toolbars, help needed
I would like to have a workbook that opens in full screen, but only for this particular workbook and not in other Excel workbooks. Brian You could use the workbook_Open() and close() events as in the code below. This would switch on full screen when opening and restore when closing. To enter the code, right-click the excel icon at the top left of the workbook and select 'View code...'. Then paste the code in resultant window, close the VBE and save the workbook Private Sub Workbook_Open() Application.DisplayFullScreen = True End Sub Private Sub Workbook_BeforeClose(Cancel ...

Mail Merge Functionality in 3.0
I am told that customizing mail merge documents for MSCRM 1.2 is very limited. Example, you cannot add any desired additional fields on the mail merge template. My question is, in MSCRM 3.0 can this be done? Or do you still need to purchase a third party add on program? Thank you in advance for your help! ~Cayla hmmm sort of looks like you can use custom fields in everything apart from activities...I have not tried it yet...anyone care to comment? ========================= John O'Donnell Microsoft CRM MVP http://www.microsoft.com/businesssolutions/crm/community/microsoft_crm_co...

Report help #2
I have a report “Detailed Sales Report with Total Discount” from the customer source page. Is it possible to ad “sale rep” to filter options. We leave the pos lanes open to a default cashier and each person (sale rep) logs-in for each transaction. I would like to show detail/totals for the discounts given by sale rep not cashier. Any help would be appreciated. Yes you can accomplished this. 1. GO to %installpath%:\Program Files\Microsoft Retail Management System\Store Operations\Reports 2. Open the Custom - Detailed Sales Report with Total Discount.qrp 3. Add the following line before t...

how do I insert a title page to a 3 page research paper
How do I insert a title page to my 3 page report If you're using Word 2007, go to: http://word.mvps.org/FAQs/Formatting/front_matter_2007.htm If you're in an earlier version of Word, go to http://word.mvps.org/FAQs/Formatting/NumberingFrontMatter.htm "Anna" wrote: > How do I insert a title page to my 3 page report > ...

Dynamics Security console #3
Hi all I have installed MOSS onto a windows 2008 32bit server. I have done all the setups and have installed Dynamics Webservices with SP3 all went fine. When I run Dynamics security console and choose select Applications and the SecurityService. I get a "Could not access the SecurityService service. Unable to connect to the remote server" Please could somebody help Regards Laurie ...

My 14yr old can't help
Hi all, My smart 14yr old can't help me! I want to put data into column a, 100,000 thru 2,000,000. A1 is 100,000, a2 is 110,000, a3 is 120,000, etc. all the way to 2,000,000. ie, column a increases by 10,000 as it goes down. Can this be done by a calculation? I don't want to type in all these numbers. Thanks, Mike. Get a 13 year old 100000 110000 highlight both>goto lower right corner of a2>grab the cross>drag down -- Don Guillett SalesAid Software dguillett1@austin.rr.com "amdx" <amdx@knology.net> wrot...

Sorting, Grouping and Calculating in a Query
I want to pull out customer name & addresses based on purchase amounts for over a certain amount (say $1000) over a certain time period. My fields are all available in one table, but I also have many of the fields in other tables as well. Fields include customer no, name, address (blah,blah) invoice#, date and paid (total for a specific invoice). I can calculate the time period with criteria either in the invoice number or date fields. I'm able to get the totals (using the sum function) by customer number when I use just those two fields, but when I add additional fields to the ...

Help with setting up a formula
Hi. I need some help setting a formula for the following: Info on Sheet1 Operation Item A Item B Item C 1.Cut 10 min 12 min 15 min 2.Trim 22 min 19 min 17 min 3. Polish 13 min 14 min 16 min Info on Sheet2 01/11 02/11 03/11 Item A 9 units 5 units 5 units Item B 0 units 2 units 3 units Item C 0 units 2 units 1 unit Info required on Sheet3 01/11 02/11 03/11 1. Cut (tot min) (tot min) (tot min) 2. Trim (tot min) (tot m...

Professional Data Recovery Software Development Help
Hi! I am the Author of Book titled, �'Data Recovery with & without Programming' (http://www.datadoctor.biz/author.htm)�. I provide ONLINE ' data recovery training' (http://www.datadoctor.biz/DRCguide.htm) (Professional Courses ). If any forum member has any Computer Data Recovery related query or interested in Data Recovery knowledge sharing or You've any Data Recovery Software Programming related issues, I'll be happy to discuss the things. If you�ve any query or comments, feel free to mail me� Regards, 'Tarun Tyagi' (http://www.datadoctor.biz/author....

Please help! #5
Hi, I need to create a menu type system that will allow people on my LAN to access regularly used Microsoft Excel 97 files. I know there's probably a dozen ways to do it but I'd love to hear them. I've been toying with using a html page that has links to the excel files so that they can click the link and have the file open automatically but I'm finding that it works only very sporadically and on some machines but not others. What are my options? Thanks guys. hi, i see no real advantage to what you are trying to do but why not set up a master xl file. put buttons up on th...

Need help vlookup?
Need to put a value in the blank column #N/A using the ss#. If the ss# matches, then the value on Worksheet SAPCODE worksheet. FINAL SHEET (name of workbook) COLUMNS AW and AX (ROW1 has headers) Row two begins data Column AW is a list of Social Security Numbers Column AX is a number code I need to get from another worksheet (currently blank) Following Columns and Previous columns contain misc data ex. COL AW AX AY AZ ROW 1 SS# NEEDED CODE INDICATOR EXTERNAL...

Moving Formulas when Sorting
Hi All & Happy Christmas & New year, How can I sort a table and have the formulas move to the relevant new postition? I'm working on a World Cup spreadsheet so I've got each table as follows a b c d e f g h i P W D L F A Pts GD Team A Team B Team C Team D The fixtures are below the table and this is where each teams results are from in the table. EG. In cell C2 (Team A Won) the formula is =SUM(A11+A15+K21) In cell D2 (Team A Draw) =SUM(B11+B15+L21) These formulas...

The picture is too large and will be truncated #3
Hi All............ I developed a fairly large XL97 file with macros that has been used for two months by 5 users. One user just got a new computer with WinXP and XL2k. Every time she opens this file now, she gets the error message "The picture is too large and will be truncated". The file is on a network and still works fine for everyone else. And, this computer will open another large Excel file with macros without giving the error message. Any ideas please? Vaya con Dios, Chuck, CABgx3 Hi Chuck, Something to try... have the user change the screen resolution and/or updat...

re: Cannot send Internet Mail...HELP PLEASE
. Reply (E-mail) Forward (E-mail) Subject: Re: Re cannot send intenet mail....HELP!!! From: "todd" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> Sent: 5/3/2004 9:27:50 AM Ok, I deleted the MX record on the mail server. I successfully used telnet to send a test email to my server at home with no errors. But Exchange 2003 still WILL NOT send any mail to ANY outside domain. I can't beleieve how much time I have spent on this. Please advise. >-----Original Message----- >Hi Todd, > >Your external MX record has nothing to do with sending mail outboun...