help with simple maths in excel

I want to do a simple arithmatic excercise in excel for my grand daughter.
It is stuff like 2+2 =4

Smart me has hit a problem at the first hurdle...
I need to put 2 in one cell the + in another cell and then 2 in another = in
another and then she puts the answer in the next one. So the above would
have 4 cells completed and she would put the answer in the 5th one.
When I use the + or = sign in a cell of its own it (excel) thinks I am doing
an equation, is there a way around this?

I will work on the answer like if she gets it correct or wrong how I will do
that...a sound or something.

thanks

0
SS
1/28/2010 10:55:47 PM
excel 39879 articles. 2 followers. Follow

Put an apostrophe in front of the = sign.

For the right or wrong maybe use conditional formatting  green for the
correct answer red for a wrong, or Data Valadation to accept only the
correct answer, which has sound.  (It is a bit harsh, however)

HTH
Regards
Howard

"SS" <nonens...@blueyonder.co.uk> wrote...
>When I use the + or = sign in a cell of its own it (excel) thinks I am doing
>an equation, is there a way around this?

Type a single quote (apostrophe) first, then + or = .

>I will work on the answer like if she gets it correct or wrong how I will do
>that...a sound or something.

You could use conditional formatting to indicate whether her entry is
right or wrong, say green background for correct, red for incorrect.
If the first number were in cell C5, the operator (+) in cell D5, the
second number in cell E5, and the entry in cell G5, you could use the
following format conditions for cell G5.

=G5=CHOOSE(FIND(D5,"+-*/"),C5+E5,C5-E5,C5*E5,C5/E5)    set format to
green cell background (pattern)
=G5<>CHOOSE(FIND(D5,"+-*/"),C5+E5,C5-E5,C5*E5,C5/E5)   set format to
red cell background (pattern)

Playing a sound is possible but requires VBA macros.
0
Harlan
1/28/2010 11:37:55 PM
"Harlan Grove" <hrlngrv@gmail.com> wrote in message
> "SS" <nonens...@blueyonder.co.uk> wrote...
>>When I use the + or = sign in a cell of its own it (excel) thinks I am
>>doing
>>an equation, is there a way around this?
>
> Type a single quote (apostrophe) first, then + or = .
>
>>I will work on the answer like if she gets it correct or wrong how I will
>>do
>>that...a sound or something.
>
> You could use conditional formatting to indicate whether her entry is
> right or wrong, say green background for correct, red for incorrect.
> If the first number were in cell C5, the operator (+) in cell D5, the
> second number in cell E5, and the entry in cell G5, you could use the
> following format conditions for cell G5.
>
> =G5=CHOOSE(FIND(D5,"+-*/"),C5+E5,C5-E5,C5*E5,C5/E5)    set format to
> green cell background (pattern)
> =G5<>CHOOSE(FIND(D5,"+-*/"),C5+E5,C5-E5,C5*E5,C5/E5)   set format to
> red cell background (pattern)
>
> Playing a sound is possible but requires VBA macros.

Thanks for reply Harlan grove, no doubt the little smart ass (grandaughter)
will tell me its not correct with the single quote but if it works.....
I will steer clear of VBA that would be more of a headache for me,
conditional formatting sounds good, that should appeal to her having the
colours.
I will keep as simple as possible.

thanks

0
SS
1/28/2010 11:46:59 PM
Actually the single quote won't show on the sheet, only in the formula bar
when that cell is selected.

"L. Howard Kittle" <lhkittle@comcast.net> wrote in message
> Actually the single quote won't show on the sheet, only in the formula bar
> when that cell is selected.
>
> Regards,
> Howard
>
> "SS" <nonense50@blueyonder.co.uk> wrote in message
>>I want to do a simple arithmatic excercise in excel for my grand daughter.
>> It is stuff like 2+2 =4
>>
>> Smart me has hit a problem at the first hurdle...
>> I need to put 2 in one cell the + in another cell and then 2 in another =
>> in another and then she puts the answer in the next one. So the above
>> would have 4 cells completed and she would put the answer in the 5th one.
>> When I use the + or = sign in a cell of its own it (excel) thinks I am
>> doing an equation, is there a way around this?
>>
>> I will work on the answer like if she gets it correct or wrong how I will
>> do that...a sound or something.
>>
>> thanks

Before I start one question, I will use conditional format for colours
(correct  / wrong) do I have to format each answer cell individually for
colour? or is there a quicker way.
It is not a problem but obviously will take the quicker method if possible.

thanks

0
SS
1/29/2010 9:35:14 AM
I think you will have to do each answer cell individually.

Regards,
Howard

"SS" <nonense50@blueyonder.co.uk> wrote in message
>I want to do a simple arithmatic excercise in excel for my grand daughter.
> It is stuff like 2+2 =4
>
> Smart me has hit a problem at the first hurdle...
> I need to put 2 in one cell the + in another cell and then 2 in another =
> in another and then she puts the answer in the next one. So the above
> would have 4 cells completed and she would put the answer in the 5th one.
> When I use the + or = sign in a cell of its own it (excel) thinks I am
> doing an equation, is there a way around this?
>
> I will work on the answer like if she gets it correct or wrong how I will
> do that...a sound or something.
>
> thanks

Thanks, I thought that, I will change all to red and then conditional for
correct answer to green.

thank you,   the joys of grandchildren :-)

>I think you will have to do each answer cell individually.
>
> Regards,
> Howard
>
> "SS" <nonense50@blueyonder.co.uk> wrote in message
>>I want to do a simple arithmatic excercise in excel for my grand daughter.
>> It is stuff like 2+2 =4
>>
>> Smart me has hit a problem at the first hurdle...
>> I need to put 2 in one cell the + in another cell and then 2 in another =
>> in another and then she puts the answer in the next one. So the above
>> would have 4 cells completed and she would put the answer in the 5th one.
>> When I use the + or = sign in a cell of its own it (excel) thinks I am
>> doing an equation, is there a way around this?
>>
>> I will work on the answer like if she gets it correct or wrong how I will
>> do that...a sound or something.
>>
>> thanks

0
SS
1/29/2010 6:56:29 PM
You can do it all with conditional formatting.
Set Condition 1  Equal to: "correct answer" and green
Set Condition 2  Not Equal to: "correct answer" and red

That way you will only have green OR red with a correct or wrng answer.

Regards,
Howard

"SS" <nonense50@blueyonder.co.uk> wrote in message
>I want to do a simple arithmatic excercise in excel for my grand daughter.
> It is stuff like 2+2 =4
>
> Smart me has hit a problem at the first hurdle...
> I need to put 2 in one cell the + in another cell and then 2 in another =
> in another and then she puts the answer in the next one. So the above
> would have 4 cells completed and she would put the answer in the 5th one.
> When I use the + or = sign in a cell of its own it (excel) thinks I am
> doing an equation, is there a way around this?
>
> I will work on the answer like if she gets it correct or wrong how I will
> do that...a sound or something.
>
> thanks

You don't HAVE to use conditional formatting. I'm not sure what you've got
in mind exactly, but using your example, start with a blank spreadsheet.
select column B and format it as text. Do the same for column D. Now enter 2
in a1, and also in c1. In b1 and d1 you can enter a plus sign and an equals
sign without having to type the single quotation mark. Your granddaughter
will put her answer in cell e1. In cell F1 enter this:
=IF(E1="","",IF(SUM(A1,C1)=E1,"right!","try again"))

That works for addition. For subtraction, use sum(a1-c1).

Then just fill your formulas down.

hope this helps

Jim

> You can do it all with conditional formatting.
> Set Condition 1  Equal to: "correct answer" and green
> Set Condition 2  Not Equal to: "correct answer" and red
>
> That way you will only have green OR red with a correct or wrng answer.
>
> Regards,
> Howard
>
> "SS" <nonense50@blueyonder.co.uk> wrote in message
>>I want to do a simple arithmatic excercise in excel for my grand daughter.
>> It is stuff like 2+2 =4
>>
>> Smart me has hit a problem at the first hurdle...
>> I need to put 2 in one cell the + in another cell and then 2 in another =
>> in another and then she puts the answer in the next one. So the above
>> would have 4 cells completed and she would put the answer in the 5th one.
>> When I use the + or = sign in a cell of its own it (excel) thinks I am
>> doing an equation, is there a way around this?
>>
>> I will work on the answer like if she gets it correct or wrong how I will
>> do that...a sound or something.
>>
>> thanks

0
jim

In excel when inputting dates 10/4/04 (10/april/04) data converts.
In excel when inputting dates 10/4/04 (10/April/2004) excel converts this to 4/10/04 (4/October/2004) Where can I change the input characteristics. I have changed the date format to English (UK) and this works when I input the date in the American format mm/dd/yy but I want to input in the dd/mm/yy format I think I'd try chaning my windows regional settings. In win98, I'd get to it via: Windows start button|Settings|control Panel|regional settings applet Date Tab Change the short date format to dd/mm/yyyy (I like 4 digit dates--you don't have to use that part--but put it in d...

Excel Lookup formulas
Hi, I have two questions: 1. I notice (occassionally) when I am using Vlookup/Hlookup to import data to another worksheet that the rules to not immediatley reflect the correct data. However, if I click on each data cell, and validate the formula (by clicking on the 'tick') it immediatley returns the correct data. Is there anyway of doing a bulk refresh that will somehow re-activate the rules that appear to have become dormant? 2. Is there a formula that will find the largest numeric data entry in a row, column, array? Thankyou, Don- Re part 2 of your question =max(place range...

Mail Merge Excel Data with Publisher for 4 up postcards
Hi, I have been browsing and searching for help on this issue to no avail. What I am trying to do is mail merge a 2 sided 4 up postcard with my Excel 2003 data. On the front of Publisher 2003I have the Address Block which is no problem, however when I try to import the matching customer data to the back of the postcard it does not match up at all with the front. I have also 2 publisher files setup, 1 for the front of the postcard and 1 for the back. I know the Excel data has to be in this format for the mail merge to work correctly using this formula posted by Doug Robbins: =IF(MOD(A2,2)=1,A2...

Excel Templates #3
is anyone aware of a decent payroll timecard/timesheet template in Excel? Thanks. Have a look at the templates found here. http://office.microsoft.com/templates/category.aspx?CategoryID=CT063469961033&CTT=4&Origin=CT061993501033 Gord Dibben Excel MVP On Fri, 23 Jul 2004 16:26:49 -0700, "egcam@sbcglobal.net" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote: >is anyone aware of a decent payroll timecard/timesheet >template in Excel? Thanks. ...

Validation Confusion-Excel 2003
On a timesheet I need to ensure that when I enter in the times of a the DAY shift that it is on or after 6:00 am. The finish time is not important as the start time dictates the shift. For example, someone may start at 7:30 and work thro to 3:30 (or 15:50), this equals a day shift. I may have someone else who starts at 6:00 am and finishes at 10:00 am, this also equals a day shift. I also need an AFTERNOON shift that starts at 12:00 (Noon). I believe if I have the answer to the day, this will come easy to me (that is if the Noon time doesn't become a hinderance??) I also need ...

How do I create a database from an Excel form?
Hello Everybody - I need to see if Excel can be used to create a mailing list database from an Excel form. If so...how do I go about doing this? The list will need to include the name of the company, contact person, and address. Thanks in advance for all of your help! It is greatly appreciated! Here are a couple of links: http://www.mvps.org/dmcritchie/excel/mailmerg.htm http://www.mvps.org/word/FAQs/MailMerge The first is from David McRitchie and the second is by Beth Melton and Dave Rado. FIRESIGN98 wrote: > > Hello Everybody - > > I need to see if Excel can be used...

Problem with Excel add-in and .NET
I have developed an Excel add-in for a customer. The add-in enables users to retrieve data from a database by using WorkSheet functions defined in the xla file. The xla file has references to a .NET component (.dll). To be be able to use the component from Excel I have used regasm.exe to create a type library (tlb file) The User writes in a cell =Quote('31/12/2009';'MSFT') and Microsofts stock quote shows up. These functions are heavily used in a excel workbook. Since the spreadsheet is big and there's a lot of data to retrieve, it takes about 20 seconds to op...

IS there a way to compare 2 excel files
I like to be able to compare 2 excel files to see how different they are.Is there such a thing? Hi Now imagine how totally different two excel files can possibly be. The report would say ... ? But if you have two pretty similar sheets, try Myrna Larson and Bill Manville's "Compare", downloadable from http://www.cpearson.com/excel/download.htm HTH. Best wishes Harald "PeterM" <pmaston@comcast.net> skrev i melding news:%23BAzyBkOFHA.3940@TK2MSFTNGP12.phx.gbl... > I like to be able to compare 2 excel files to see how different they are.Is > there such a ...

excel Xp (ofc XP)
.. I need to install an legacy application that will not install properly when ofc2k3 is the current application. Furthermore, the app wants small business tools for office 2k installed I can't uninstall ofc 2k3 because there are too many settings and applications depending on that possibly a naive questions: is it possible to make the ofc 2k3 look like ofcXp in terms of word and excel? is it possible to install small business tool from ofc 2k pro without destroying ofc2k3? Note that if office Xp or office 2k is the current office application, the legacy application will ins...

Corupt excel file ???
I have a excel file that seems to want to open, but then when it is done opening, There is no data or blank sheet. It goes though the possess and say's at the bottom ready opening but then there is nothing and the screen look's like I just opened Excel but no spread sheet. I then can go to file open another sheet and it works. (Not the one I wont) any body help. of coarse we don�t have a backup??? Email: bhogan@emediaofli.com --- Message posted from http://www.ExcelForum.com/ First, check to see if the file is actually loaded. Click on Window and see if it appears at the bottom o...

Can Excel generate a 3-D scatter plot?
I want to generate surface plots of the form (x,y,f(x,y)). Should I just go buy MathCAD, or can Excel manage this? Hi Andy Pope has 'tricked' one: http://andypope.info/charts/3drotate.htm But you probably go for MathCad :-) -- Regards Frank Kabel Frankfurt, Germany "zzzfizz" <zzzfizz@discussions.microsoft.com> schrieb im Newsbeitrag news:BA2BEAB6-63E1-46E7-816F-B282C590C3D9@microsoft.com... > I want to generate surface plots of the form (x,y,f(x,y)). Should I just go > buy MathCAD, or can Excel manage this? ...

SUMIFS help
Hi. Hope you’re able to help. I’m having difficulties the SUMIFS function. Either I’m using it incorrectly or perhaps it’s the wrong function for me! I’m trying to total the money amounts in column E as long as conditions in columns A (cell A6 in this example) and column H are True. However, I’m finding that the function is not totalling up the money amounts it should be totalling in column E. Instead, it’s just returning a single money amount in column E and ignoring the rest! This is the function as I’ve written it: =SUMIFS(BnkChqs!E3:E1000,BnkChqs!A3:A1000, A6,BnkChqs!...

Excel 2003 giving annoying "Send/Don't Send" error when closing
I am accessing an instance of Excel 2003 through a Codegear C++ program I'm writing. The code looks something like this (not that it really matters all that much): TExcelApplication* ea = new TExcelApplication(this); ea->Connect(); ExcelWorkbookPtr ewbPtr = ea->get_ActiveWorkbook(); // do stuff... ewbPtr.Release(); delete ea; ea = 0; I can connect to Excel and write to it just fine. However, when I try to disconnect from it and close/delete the Excel application instance, I get an annoying Excel error message that says, "Excel has encountered a problem and...

Import Excel Data from another workbook or file
Is there a way to import or export Excel Data between 2 different workbooks? E.G. Import from "File A" 'Sheet1' Column A, Row2 to "File B" 'Sheet1' Column A, Row 2. What I'd like to do ultimately is import data from 5 excel files into one. tamato43 wrote: || Is there a way to import or export Excel Data between 2 different || workbooks? || || E.G. Import from "File A" 'Sheet1' Column A, Row2 to "File B" || 'Sheet1' Column A, Row 2. || || What I'd like to do ultimately is import data from 5 excel files || in...

Bug in Excel handling exponents
If I type -10^6 in a cell, the resulting number is 1,000,000. However, shouldn't the exponent take precedence over the sign? Specifically, shouldn't the result be -1,000,000? Search for "Precedence" in excel's Help. (I used xl2003.) And you'll find out how excel treats arithmetic operators. It's not what you learned in school. But those are excel's rules. So you have to play by them if you stay in excel. Personally, I'll add ()'s to make sure the expression evaluates like I want. Schizoid Man wrote: > > If I type -10^6 in a cell, t...

Formula help/suggestions?
I'm looking for help some help with a formula. How would I go about a formula for automatically adding 8 hours to a number each calendar month? I would like to open it and have it done for me if that's possible rather than having to remember to add it each month or forgetting if I did or not. For instance, i start out with the # 248 in a cell that I would like to automatically add 8 to each calendar month. "Gadgetman" <stoojz3@yahoo.com> wrote in message news:stoojz3-96EE83.15151022012011@usenet.ptd.net... > I'm looking for help some help with a formula....

I need help with a formula
Hi everyone I'm making a stock list sheet and I like to put on it the value - and + .. like when I take boxes out it will give me the total and when I add in it will change also. This is for a weekly count. I'm very new to excel so please H-E-L-P-. I need the instruction like u give it to a child. :) :) Thanks a lot -- pampam ------------------------------------------------------------------------ pampam's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php?action=getinfo&userid=26224 View this thread: http://www.excelforum.com/showthread.php?threadid=395241 We need ...

Excel and Calendar Control 8.0
Enter an Excel worksheet. Click Insert, select Object and then, Calendar Control 8.0. Now, the Calendar is shown on the worksheet. And then, the worksheet operations is finished with the Calendar. Please say, how to remove the Calendar from the worksheet. Regards. ...

How do I link multiple excel documents?
I need to link three Excel Documents into a master document that will reflect the data inputted into the others. as of right now they are all one document but that allows only one person at a time to enter the data, we need to have multiple people entering the data. Let's try for the easy solution first... Are people entering data on different worksheets, which are then captured on a 'master' sheet via equations? If so, open the file (make a backup copy first!), click on one of the input sheet tabs and select Move or Copy, then move the sheet into a New Workbook. Save th...

Problems with Excel and User Capabilities
When I try to set up user accounts with access to only certain programs I run into a problem. We have installed MS Office v.X and I allow the applications Word, Powerpoint, and Excel to run. Word and Powerpoint run fine, but I get an error when starting Excel. When I start Excel up a window pops up saying "A unexpected error occurred while trying to load the Mircosoft Framework X library." I can hit OK and it returns to the program where everything seems to function normally. Has anyone else encountered this or have any advice? In article <#YTu5dWcDHA.2416@TK2MSFTNGP10....

newbie needs help
Hello, First to let you all know, I am a big novice at this kind of stuff, so please bear with me. What I am trying to do is make a trendchart with 9 different plots on it. How do I change the numbers on the side and bottom of the chart to read what I need them to? I take these tests 3 times a week and would like to chart all of them seperately and also together to chart progress for a whole month. One for each day, and then one for the month. Then I would like to do the same for the following months of the year. And I would like to have one chart to show the progress for the whole...

Need Exchange limit help
I have a new SBS 2008 Server setup in a manufacturing environment. Two users within the company send and receive large CAD files. How do I allow this process? Right now one user is try to send a 185MB file and it is saying "the message being sent exceeds the message size established for this user." I have tried setting the limit in the console to 10GB and now I have unchecked the "enforce the mailbox quotas" box and he still can't send. If I go into the Exchange Management Console I still don't see how I can make this work. Is this something that...

formula help 02-10-10
Hi- Issue: 211 310 410 569 Would like to accomplish: 2211 2310 2410 2569 How do I add number 2 infront of the above ISSUE numbers as I have thousands of line to do. Soth If your number is in column A then in column B type =2 & A1 and copy it down. -- -John http://www.jmbundy.blogspot.com/ Please rate when your question is answered to help us and others know what is helpful. "Soth" wrote: > Hi- > > Issue: > 211 > 310 > 410 > 569 > > Would like to accomplish: > 2211 > 2310 > 2410 > 2...

Help! Unable to mount public folder store event 9519
Hi, I am getting the following error when tring to mount the public folder store. Event Type: Error Event Source: MSExchangeIS Event Category: General Event ID: 9519 Date: 11/01/2006 Time: 00:10:26 User: N/A Computer: SERVER Description: Error 0x8004010f starting database "First Storage Group\f7967383-856a-4b7f-9023-37c269a0e908" on the Microsoft Exchange Information Store. Look up of DB Info failed. For more information, click http://www.microsoft.com/contentredirect.asp. I have tried numerous ms kb articles to no avail. I did find this on a news group :- -------------...

how do i set up to auto detect duplicated numbers in an excel fiel
I use excel spreadsheets to generate joblists and invoices. I need to ensure that job numbers are not duplicated. I enter my clients numbers here and have had double entry problems. Help!!!! Hi see: http://www.cpearson.com/excel/NoDupEntry.htm -- Regards Frank Kabel Frankfurt, Germany Peabody wrote: > I use excel spreadsheets to generate joblists and invoices. I need to > ensure that job numbers are not duplicated. I enter my clients > numbers here and have had double entry problems. Help!!!! ...