help with simple maths in excel

I want to do a simple arithmatic excercise in excel for my grand daughter.
It is stuff like 2+2 =4

Smart me has hit a problem at the first hurdle...
I need to put 2 in one cell the + in another cell and then 2 in another = in
another and then she puts the answer in the next one. So the above would
have 4 cells completed and she would put the answer in the 5th one.
When I use the + or = sign in a cell of its own it (excel) thinks I am doing
an equation, is there a way around this?

I will work on the answer like if she gets it correct or wrong how I will do
that...a sound or something.

thanks

0
SS
1/28/2010 10:55:47 PM
excel 39879 articles. 2 followers. Follow

Put an apostrophe in front of the = sign.

For the right or wrong maybe use conditional formatting  green for the
correct answer red for a wrong, or Data Valadation to accept only the
correct answer, which has sound.  (It is a bit harsh, however)

HTH
Regards
Howard

"SS" <nonens...@blueyonder.co.uk> wrote...
>When I use the + or = sign in a cell of its own it (excel) thinks I am doing
>an equation, is there a way around this?

Type a single quote (apostrophe) first, then + or = .

>I will work on the answer like if she gets it correct or wrong how I will do
>that...a sound or something.

You could use conditional formatting to indicate whether her entry is
right or wrong, say green background for correct, red for incorrect.
If the first number were in cell C5, the operator (+) in cell D5, the
second number in cell E5, and the entry in cell G5, you could use the
following format conditions for cell G5.

=G5=CHOOSE(FIND(D5,"+-*/"),C5+E5,C5-E5,C5*E5,C5/E5)    set format to
green cell background (pattern)
=G5<>CHOOSE(FIND(D5,"+-*/"),C5+E5,C5-E5,C5*E5,C5/E5)   set format to
red cell background (pattern)

Playing a sound is possible but requires VBA macros.
0
Harlan
1/28/2010 11:37:55 PM
"Harlan Grove" <hrlngrv@gmail.com> wrote in message
> "SS" <nonens...@blueyonder.co.uk> wrote...
>>When I use the + or = sign in a cell of its own it (excel) thinks I am
>>doing
>>an equation, is there a way around this?
>
> Type a single quote (apostrophe) first, then + or = .
>
>>I will work on the answer like if she gets it correct or wrong how I will
>>do
>>that...a sound or something.
>
> You could use conditional formatting to indicate whether her entry is
> right or wrong, say green background for correct, red for incorrect.
> If the first number were in cell C5, the operator (+) in cell D5, the
> second number in cell E5, and the entry in cell G5, you could use the
> following format conditions for cell G5.
>
> =G5=CHOOSE(FIND(D5,"+-*/"),C5+E5,C5-E5,C5*E5,C5/E5)    set format to
> green cell background (pattern)
> =G5<>CHOOSE(FIND(D5,"+-*/"),C5+E5,C5-E5,C5*E5,C5/E5)   set format to
> red cell background (pattern)
>
> Playing a sound is possible but requires VBA macros.

Thanks for reply Harlan grove, no doubt the little smart ass (grandaughter)
will tell me its not correct with the single quote but if it works.....
I will steer clear of VBA that would be more of a headache for me,
conditional formatting sounds good, that should appeal to her having the
colours.
I will keep as simple as possible.

thanks

0
SS
1/28/2010 11:46:59 PM
Actually the single quote won't show on the sheet, only in the formula bar
when that cell is selected.

"L. Howard Kittle" <lhkittle@comcast.net> wrote in message
> Actually the single quote won't show on the sheet, only in the formula bar
> when that cell is selected.
>
> Regards,
> Howard
>
> "SS" <nonense50@blueyonder.co.uk> wrote in message
>>I want to do a simple arithmatic excercise in excel for my grand daughter.
>> It is stuff like 2+2 =4
>>
>> Smart me has hit a problem at the first hurdle...
>> I need to put 2 in one cell the + in another cell and then 2 in another =
>> in another and then she puts the answer in the next one. So the above
>> would have 4 cells completed and she would put the answer in the 5th one.
>> When I use the + or = sign in a cell of its own it (excel) thinks I am
>> doing an equation, is there a way around this?
>>
>> I will work on the answer like if she gets it correct or wrong how I will
>> do that...a sound or something.
>>
>> thanks

Before I start one question, I will use conditional format for colours
(correct  / wrong) do I have to format each answer cell individually for
colour? or is there a quicker way.
It is not a problem but obviously will take the quicker method if possible.

thanks

0
SS
1/29/2010 9:35:14 AM
I think you will have to do each answer cell individually.

Regards,
Howard

"SS" <nonense50@blueyonder.co.uk> wrote in message
>I want to do a simple arithmatic excercise in excel for my grand daughter.
> It is stuff like 2+2 =4
>
> Smart me has hit a problem at the first hurdle...
> I need to put 2 in one cell the + in another cell and then 2 in another =
> in another and then she puts the answer in the next one. So the above
> would have 4 cells completed and she would put the answer in the 5th one.
> When I use the + or = sign in a cell of its own it (excel) thinks I am
> doing an equation, is there a way around this?
>
> I will work on the answer like if she gets it correct or wrong how I will
> do that...a sound or something.
>
> thanks

Thanks, I thought that, I will change all to red and then conditional for
correct answer to green.

thank you,   the joys of grandchildren :-)

>I think you will have to do each answer cell individually.
>
> Regards,
> Howard
>
> "SS" <nonense50@blueyonder.co.uk> wrote in message
>>I want to do a simple arithmatic excercise in excel for my grand daughter.
>> It is stuff like 2+2 =4
>>
>> Smart me has hit a problem at the first hurdle...
>> I need to put 2 in one cell the + in another cell and then 2 in another =
>> in another and then she puts the answer in the next one. So the above
>> would have 4 cells completed and she would put the answer in the 5th one.
>> When I use the + or = sign in a cell of its own it (excel) thinks I am
>> doing an equation, is there a way around this?
>>
>> I will work on the answer like if she gets it correct or wrong how I will
>> do that...a sound or something.
>>
>> thanks

0
SS
1/29/2010 6:56:29 PM
You can do it all with conditional formatting.
Set Condition 1  Equal to: "correct answer" and green
Set Condition 2  Not Equal to: "correct answer" and red

That way you will only have green OR red with a correct or wrng answer.

Regards,
Howard

"SS" <nonense50@blueyonder.co.uk> wrote in message
>I want to do a simple arithmatic excercise in excel for my grand daughter.
> It is stuff like 2+2 =4
>
> Smart me has hit a problem at the first hurdle...
> I need to put 2 in one cell the + in another cell and then 2 in another =
> in another and then she puts the answer in the next one. So the above
> would have 4 cells completed and she would put the answer in the 5th one.
> When I use the + or = sign in a cell of its own it (excel) thinks I am
> doing an equation, is there a way around this?
>
> I will work on the answer like if she gets it correct or wrong how I will
> do that...a sound or something.
>
> thanks

You don't HAVE to use conditional formatting. I'm not sure what you've got
in mind exactly, but using your example, start with a blank spreadsheet.
select column B and format it as text. Do the same for column D. Now enter 2
in a1, and also in c1. In b1 and d1 you can enter a plus sign and an equals
sign without having to type the single quotation mark. Your granddaughter
will put her answer in cell e1. In cell F1 enter this:
=IF(E1="","",IF(SUM(A1,C1)=E1,"right!","try again"))

That works for addition. For subtraction, use sum(a1-c1).

Then just fill your formulas down.

hope this helps

Jim

> You can do it all with conditional formatting.
> Set Condition 1  Equal to: "correct answer" and green
> Set Condition 2  Not Equal to: "correct answer" and red
>
> That way you will only have green OR red with a correct or wrng answer.
>
> Regards,
> Howard
>
> "SS" <nonense50@blueyonder.co.uk> wrote in message
>>I want to do a simple arithmatic excercise in excel for my grand daughter.
>> It is stuff like 2+2 =4
>>
>> Smart me has hit a problem at the first hurdle...
>> I need to put 2 in one cell the + in another cell and then 2 in another =
>> in another and then she puts the answer in the next one. So the above
>> would have 4 cells completed and she would put the answer in the 5th one.
>> When I use the + or = sign in a cell of its own it (excel) thinks I am
>> doing an equation, is there a way around this?
>>
>> I will work on the answer like if she gets it correct or wrong how I will
>> do that...a sound or something.
>>
>> thanks

0
jim

Duplicate messages ++++ HELP....
I am using Outlook 2002. Setup with one email account only as on offline user to 5.5 Exchange. When I do the send/receive via dial up I pull down whatever messages are on the Server down to the .PST file. Yet when I dial in again I get the same messages over and over. Again I only have one email account setup on the laptop. And it is setup to work offline with a .PST file. Everything I have read and found pertaining to this is if you have multiple acounts setup under the send/receive. This is not the case here. Getting tired of Microsofts constant change and lack of documentation of ...

function pointer help!
I have a callback function void __stdcall CallBackFunc(int, int,double); And I need to have a pointer to it. void (*CallBack)(int,int,double); but the assignment doesn't work... CallBack = CallBackFunc; What am I doing wrong? Thanks as usual! Ron H. ----------------- www.Newsgroup-Binaries.com - *Completion*Retention*Speed* Access your favorite newsgroups from home or on the road ----------------- Try this instead void (_stdcall *CallBack)(int,int,double); AliR. "Ron H." <rnh@mmm.com> wrote in message news:4739f338$0$7517$8d2e0cab@news.newsgroup-binaries.co...

a sample question about excel VBA
How can I make msgbox like this? �� there are X sheets of this workbook the first page name is : Sheets(1).Name the secod page name is : Sheets(2).Name �� until to the last page the X page mane is : Sheets(X).Name How can I write this module? Sub WorksheetNames() Dim i As Long Dim strAnswer As String strAnswer = _ "There are " & Worksheets.Count & _ " sheets of this workbook" For i = 1 To Worksheets.Count strAnswer = strAnswer & vbCr & _ "Sheet " & i & " : " & _...

Excel Menus Greyed out
This only happens in Excel XP and a re-install and/or repair don't seem to fix it. All other Office apps are fine. Anyone seen this? Remedy?! ...

Default Line Weight in Excel
How do I change the default setting for the "Line Weight" when creating charts - at the moment all of my graphs are created with a very thin line weight & I would like the standard to be thicker.... You can't change the default line weight. However, you can create a custom chart with the heavier line weights and then use that custom chart instead of Excel's defaults. To do so, click once on your finished chart with the heavier line weights. Go to the standard toolbar and select Chart -> Chart Type. In the Chart Type dialog box, select the Custom Types tab. ...

Excel cannot open email program.
I often use "file.. send to... mail recipient" to send a spreadsheet as text in the body of an e-mail. I prefer that to sending excel as an attachment, since my recipients may not have excel and usually don't need to see formulas. On my new computer however I get the message "excel could not open the e-mail program" if I try the first option above. Both excel 2002 and outlook 2002 are working fine. I "repaired" office just to be sure. Still doesn't work. Only difference is that the computer came with a trial version of office 2003 which I don...

GETPIVOTDATA and Date-type field (Excel 2007)
Data Sample *************** Trip 0346210980 Statement Date 3/24/2010 Description STARBUCKS Date 03/08/2010 LocCurrAmt 3.47 Formula: =GETPIVOTDATA("LocCurrAmt",A6,"Statement Date",DATE(2010,3,24)) Problem: I keep getting a #REF error. When I evaluate the error it's always with the DATE function. Steps I've taken: 1. Confirmed that my date is a number and not text. 2. Tried using the date serial number (40261) instead of the DATE function. 3. Confirmed the GETPIVOTDATA works...

Excel 2003
Whenever a colleague updates a spreadsheet I've created it comes back 10MBytes large whereas it was originally only 50KBytes. It looks to me as if the colleague accidentally adds tens or hundreds of thousands of empty rows. How can I delete all rows below a certain row. Delete does not work. Copying the real rows into a new worksheet loses the formatting. When I apply the formatting from the big spreadsheet (paste formatting) I end up with hundreds of thousands of rows again :-( Any suggestions? Tom Selecting all the rows below your actual data. Right-click, delete cells. (this is...

access / excel link
i know that i can link excel tables to an access database. can i link an access table to a spreadsheet? -- TomMurray hi Tom, tom wrote: > i know that i can link excel tables to an access database. can i link an > access table to a spreadsheet? You may use Data/Get External Data, but this not the same as linked table. Depending on your needs, you may consider using a VBA procedure (macro) to read the data with a DAO.Recordset and copy it manually into to your cells - you can copy also a complete recordset, see CopyFromRecordset in Excel. mfG --> stefan <-- thanks stefa...

How do I assign a shortcut key to an existing macro in Excel 2003.
ntahall, Alt+F8 to bring up the choose macro box, select your macro, options, assign a shortcut from there -- Paul B Always backup your data before trying something new Please post any response to the newsgroups so others can benefit from it Feedback on answers is always appreciated! Using Excel 2000 & 2003 ** remove news from my email address to reply by email ** "ntahall" <ntahall@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:21B6102C-4B88-4131-A9AC-C48879896A17@microsoft.com... > ...

CDC Help!
One of the common shapes that seems to be missing from the CDC members is the arrow. Is there a good way to do arrows? I need to create arrows around the circumference of a circle pointing toward the center of the circle. Any hints on how this is best done? Ron H. ----------------- www.Newsgroup-Binaries.com - *Completion*Retention*Speed* Access your favorite newsgroups from home or on the road ----------------- I'm not sure if CDC has any line caps. In the past I used GDI+ to draw arrows and different kind of line caps. IMHO, the default line caps don't scale very well, so ...

Creating the occurrence frequency chart in Excel
I had a need to put a series of numbers into buckets of size 5. I created the following formula, and "dragged it down" =A1 + IF(MOD(A1,5), 5-MOD(A1,5), 0) I am sure that there is a better way of doing this. Can someone suggest it? Also, I wanted to come up with an occurrence frequency chart for my data. For example if I have numbers 4, 9, 13, 13, 17, 19, 19, 19, then I would like the occurrence frequency chart to plot the following informatiuon in a 2D chart: 0-4: 1 5-9: 2 10-14:2 15-30: 3 Thanks, Song Hi: This will work out the buckets for you. Paste it into the first cel...

Conditional Opening of Excel file
Hi, I have a complex workbook that relies on various SUMIF's from othe reference workbooks. If these aren't open, then obviously the formula don't work. As it's for someone else; I want a piece of VB so that when they *open the main workbook, it checks to see if the ref file is open, and i not, it automatically opens it for them. A bit like this sub worksheetopen '(Not sure where this should go in parent book) if workbook("Referencefile.xls") is NOT open then workbook("referencefile.xls").open endif endsub Any ideas folks?:confused -- Message p...

Suppressing zeros after the decimal point
How can I force zeros to display following a decimal point in Excel 2002? Whenever I type a number, such as 3.200, Excel drops the zeros and only enters 3.2 into the cell. Is there a setting that can be changed to fix this? (Using the "0.00" custom format seems to help, but if I have another number, such as 4.70, which only needs one zero to display, then I need another custom format for that one, and the next one, etc.) If anyone has a simpler suggestion, I'd appreciate it. Thanks! Hi AFAIK you can't achieve this with a custom format. Either you have three decimals or...

how many characters i can put into one cell in Excel
If i typed a whole paragraph into one cell of Excel, only a part of para show up in that cell. I tried wrap text, increase the height of the column. Nothing happen. Any one have idea about it or there are some limit to view in Excel in one cell Hi Search for 'specifications' in Help: It says '32,767 characters. Only 1,024 display in a cell; all 32,767 display in the formula bar.' -- Andy. "Gary" <Gary@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:747E6CFE-88D9-4F4C-950E-56F0885C3096@microsoft.com... > If i typed a whole paragraph into one cell o...

excel charts look drastically different on different computers
When we open excel charts on different computers in our office the formatting looks drastically different (for example, data labels and arrows on charts are in different locations). This is a huge problem because it means that the formatting has to be fixed each time someone opens an excel chart. This was never a problem until recently when some of our staff got new computers and for a short time they were using Office 2007 (everyone else in the office was using Office 2003). We've switched everyone back to Office 2003, but the problem with excel charts persists. When u ad...

count between dates help (NETWORKDAYS)
Hello big brains I am trying to find the days and hours between 2 dates 2 columns of dates formated in M/D/YYYY hh:mm 4/23/2004 15:53 and 4/27/2004 10:43 I don't want to count weekends so I used NETWORKDAYS which works to a degree.. giving me 3 (which is days) but it's ignoring the time. I need it to be specific and have it show days and hours difference. I am suprised that it is ignoring it. Unfortunately I am kind of stuck with the dat being in this format. Any help would be appreciated. thanks Maybe this can give you some ideas http://www.cpearson.com/excel/DateTimeWS.ht...

Can an Excel file be converted into Visio?
Does anyone know if this is even possible? Is there a converter pack or a website that would illustrate this process? Thanks, Jim ...

need some SQL Update Help
I have a Access 2000 db and I have these 2 tables. ArchInvoices --------------- InvoiceID - Primary Key - Autonumber InvoiceNumber - long SaleType - char(1) TransactionDate - DateTime Discount - Integer WholesaleFlag - Boolean PaymentMethod - Char(6) CustPONumber - Char(30) ShortName - Char(30) MdCountCode - char(2) TaxFreeID - char(30) Paid - Boolean FestInvoiceNumber - long The second Table is: ArchLineItems --------------- TransactionType - char(1) Units - integer UnitCost - Double BottleSize - Double LineItemId - PrimaryKey - Autonumber InvoiceNumber - Long - Foreign Key Field from Arc...

Function help needed urgently!!! #2
Hi anyone who can help... I have two sets of figures 1 is sales and 1 is target. Eg: Sales Target Incentive 5 5 In the Incentive column I want a formula that will calculate the Incentive payment for employees who exceed there target. The easy part is the if statement for example 10% of their sales if they exceed target: =if(sales>target,Sales*10%,0) The complicated part comes in to play when only when they hit multiples of 10 are they entitled to an incentive: If the Sales are 5 and the Target is 5 - no incentive. If the Sales are 10 and the Target is 5 - no incenti...

Combobox Help needed
Hello, I have been trying to populate a Combobox with a filter set to what is being typed in the combo's edit control. If I type in "C" it selects the first 40 "C" then I would like to type in "u" clear the listbox portion and put in the first 40 "Cu" etc.. I would need to clear only the combo's edit box but unfortunately ResetContent()also clears the edit box. It gets the first 40 "C" but then the edit box is cleared. I have also tried using DeleteString. void CCustView::OnEditupdateCombo1() { UpdateData(); if (i>0) { m_CbCust....

excel 2000 convert to excel 2003
Hi I would like to move current excell 2000 spread sheets and open them in 2003 excel. Please help in any way. I have copied my excell 2000 data onto a floppy however it will not open in Excel 2003 XL2000 and XL2003 share exactly the same file format and so should open just fine in either. However, you should never open XL files on floppies - XL uses temporary files, which may exceed the capacity of the floppy. Instead, copy the file from the floppy to your HD before opening. In article <72864281-728A-4B27-8317-A760E6440BB2@microsoft.com>, cityof <cityof@discussions.microsoft...

Font size changes in Excel 2003 charts when re-opened
For certain charts that I create within Excel 2003 (usually bar charts), I use a font size of 8 (eg for data labels, axis labels, and scale). If I close the file and then re-open it, all these fonts will have become size one (title and legend are not effected). Oddly, if I have created a bar chart and made several copies of it within a worksheet, it will only be the original and not the copies that are affected by this. If anyone can shed any light on why this may be happening and how it could be fixed, I would really appreciate it. Lucie ...

Using VBA to change Excel layouts
Our company has designed 4 different spreadsheet designs. The same data gets stored in any of the 4 spreadsheet layouts....the only difference is that some spreadsheets use different colors, have different fonts and cell sizes and etc... I thought it would be nice to create just ONE spreadsheet that contains a combo-box or list-box or drop-down box which allows the user to select 1 of the 4 layout choices, then I want VBA to programattically setup the spreadsheet layout according to the users choice. Does that make sense? Does anybody know any good ways to implement something lik...

A simple question..help!!!
Ok, i'm trying to e-mail with Outlook....now can someone please tell me what the heck happened to the SEND button???? I have searched and searched for it. Where is it?? Please anyone help me out here. Thanks. Amy Hi Amy, which Outlook are you using? 2000?2003?XP? Did you create first of all an email account? Without email account outlook won't show a send button, I think. Or perhabs it is hidden on the toolbar? Greetings Steffi "fireeyesamy" <fireeyesamy@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:09522C66-14EA-4EB1-B3EB-151209810942@microsoft.com... > O...