help with simple maths in excel

I want to do a simple arithmatic excercise in excel for my grand daughter.
It is stuff like 2+2 =4

Smart me has hit a problem at the first hurdle...
I need to put 2 in one cell the + in another cell and then 2 in another = in
another and then she puts the answer in the next one. So the above would
have 4 cells completed and she would put the answer in the 5th one.
When I use the + or = sign in a cell of its own it (excel) thinks I am doing
an equation, is there a way around this?

I will work on the answer like if she gets it correct or wrong how I will do
that...a sound or something.

thanks

0
SS
1/28/2010 10:55:47 PM
excel 39879 articles. 2 followers. Follow

Put an apostrophe in front of the = sign.

For the right or wrong maybe use conditional formatting  green for the
correct answer red for a wrong, or Data Valadation to accept only the
correct answer, which has sound.  (It is a bit harsh, however)

HTH
Regards
Howard

"SS" <nonens...@blueyonder.co.uk> wrote...
>When I use the + or = sign in a cell of its own it (excel) thinks I am doing
>an equation, is there a way around this?

Type a single quote (apostrophe) first, then + or = .

>I will work on the answer like if she gets it correct or wrong how I will do
>that...a sound or something.

You could use conditional formatting to indicate whether her entry is
right or wrong, say green background for correct, red for incorrect.
If the first number were in cell C5, the operator (+) in cell D5, the
second number in cell E5, and the entry in cell G5, you could use the
following format conditions for cell G5.

=G5=CHOOSE(FIND(D5,"+-*/"),C5+E5,C5-E5,C5*E5,C5/E5)    set format to
green cell background (pattern)
=G5<>CHOOSE(FIND(D5,"+-*/"),C5+E5,C5-E5,C5*E5,C5/E5)   set format to
red cell background (pattern)

Playing a sound is possible but requires VBA macros.
0
Harlan
1/28/2010 11:37:55 PM
"Harlan Grove" <hrlngrv@gmail.com> wrote in message
> "SS" <nonens...@blueyonder.co.uk> wrote...
>>When I use the + or = sign in a cell of its own it (excel) thinks I am
>>doing
>>an equation, is there a way around this?
>
> Type a single quote (apostrophe) first, then + or = .
>
>>I will work on the answer like if she gets it correct or wrong how I will
>>do
>>that...a sound or something.
>
> You could use conditional formatting to indicate whether her entry is
> right or wrong, say green background for correct, red for incorrect.
> If the first number were in cell C5, the operator (+) in cell D5, the
> second number in cell E5, and the entry in cell G5, you could use the
> following format conditions for cell G5.
>
> =G5=CHOOSE(FIND(D5,"+-*/"),C5+E5,C5-E5,C5*E5,C5/E5)    set format to
> green cell background (pattern)
> =G5<>CHOOSE(FIND(D5,"+-*/"),C5+E5,C5-E5,C5*E5,C5/E5)   set format to
> red cell background (pattern)
>
> Playing a sound is possible but requires VBA macros.

Thanks for reply Harlan grove, no doubt the little smart ass (grandaughter)
will tell me its not correct with the single quote but if it works.....
I will steer clear of VBA that would be more of a headache for me,
conditional formatting sounds good, that should appeal to her having the
colours.
I will keep as simple as possible.

thanks

0
SS
1/28/2010 11:46:59 PM
Actually the single quote won't show on the sheet, only in the formula bar
when that cell is selected.

"L. Howard Kittle" <lhkittle@comcast.net> wrote in message
> Actually the single quote won't show on the sheet, only in the formula bar
> when that cell is selected.
>
> Regards,
> Howard
>
> "SS" <nonense50@blueyonder.co.uk> wrote in message
>>I want to do a simple arithmatic excercise in excel for my grand daughter.
>> It is stuff like 2+2 =4
>>
>> Smart me has hit a problem at the first hurdle...
>> I need to put 2 in one cell the + in another cell and then 2 in another =
>> in another and then she puts the answer in the next one. So the above
>> would have 4 cells completed and she would put the answer in the 5th one.
>> When I use the + or = sign in a cell of its own it (excel) thinks I am
>> doing an equation, is there a way around this?
>>
>> I will work on the answer like if she gets it correct or wrong how I will
>> do that...a sound or something.
>>
>> thanks

Before I start one question, I will use conditional format for colours
(correct  / wrong) do I have to format each answer cell individually for
colour? or is there a quicker way.
It is not a problem but obviously will take the quicker method if possible.

thanks

0
SS
1/29/2010 9:35:14 AM
I think you will have to do each answer cell individually.

Regards,
Howard

"SS" <nonense50@blueyonder.co.uk> wrote in message
>I want to do a simple arithmatic excercise in excel for my grand daughter.
> It is stuff like 2+2 =4
>
> Smart me has hit a problem at the first hurdle...
> I need to put 2 in one cell the + in another cell and then 2 in another =
> in another and then she puts the answer in the next one. So the above
> would have 4 cells completed and she would put the answer in the 5th one.
> When I use the + or = sign in a cell of its own it (excel) thinks I am
> doing an equation, is there a way around this?
>
> I will work on the answer like if she gets it correct or wrong how I will
> do that...a sound or something.
>
> thanks

Thanks, I thought that, I will change all to red and then conditional for
correct answer to green.

thank you,   the joys of grandchildren :-)

>I think you will have to do each answer cell individually.
>
> Regards,
> Howard
>
> "SS" <nonense50@blueyonder.co.uk> wrote in message
>>I want to do a simple arithmatic excercise in excel for my grand daughter.
>> It is stuff like 2+2 =4
>>
>> Smart me has hit a problem at the first hurdle...
>> I need to put 2 in one cell the + in another cell and then 2 in another =
>> in another and then she puts the answer in the next one. So the above
>> would have 4 cells completed and she would put the answer in the 5th one.
>> When I use the + or = sign in a cell of its own it (excel) thinks I am
>> doing an equation, is there a way around this?
>>
>> I will work on the answer like if she gets it correct or wrong how I will
>> do that...a sound or something.
>>
>> thanks

0
SS
1/29/2010 6:56:29 PM
You can do it all with conditional formatting.
Set Condition 1  Equal to: "correct answer" and green
Set Condition 2  Not Equal to: "correct answer" and red

That way you will only have green OR red with a correct or wrng answer.

Regards,
Howard

"SS" <nonense50@blueyonder.co.uk> wrote in message
>I want to do a simple arithmatic excercise in excel for my grand daughter.
> It is stuff like 2+2 =4
>
> Smart me has hit a problem at the first hurdle...
> I need to put 2 in one cell the + in another cell and then 2 in another =
> in another and then she puts the answer in the next one. So the above
> would have 4 cells completed and she would put the answer in the 5th one.
> When I use the + or = sign in a cell of its own it (excel) thinks I am
> doing an equation, is there a way around this?
>
> I will work on the answer like if she gets it correct or wrong how I will
> do that...a sound or something.
>
> thanks

You don't HAVE to use conditional formatting. I'm not sure what you've got
in mind exactly, but using your example, start with a blank spreadsheet.
select column B and format it as text. Do the same for column D. Now enter 2
in a1, and also in c1. In b1 and d1 you can enter a plus sign and an equals
sign without having to type the single quotation mark. Your granddaughter
will put her answer in cell e1. In cell F1 enter this:
=IF(E1="","",IF(SUM(A1,C1)=E1,"right!","try again"))

That works for addition. For subtraction, use sum(a1-c1).

Then just fill your formulas down.

hope this helps

Jim

> You can do it all with conditional formatting.
> Set Condition 1  Equal to: "correct answer" and green
> Set Condition 2  Not Equal to: "correct answer" and red
>
> That way you will only have green OR red with a correct or wrng answer.
>
> Regards,
> Howard
>
> "SS" <nonense50@blueyonder.co.uk> wrote in message
>>I want to do a simple arithmatic excercise in excel for my grand daughter.
>> It is stuff like 2+2 =4
>>
>> Smart me has hit a problem at the first hurdle...
>> I need to put 2 in one cell the + in another cell and then 2 in another =
>> in another and then she puts the answer in the next one. So the above
>> would have 4 cells completed and she would put the answer in the 5th one.
>> When I use the + or = sign in a cell of its own it (excel) thinks I am
>> doing an equation, is there a way around this?
>>
>> I will work on the answer like if she gets it correct or wrong how I will
>> do that...a sound or something.
>>
>> thanks

0
jim