Help! Sorting problem

I need to sort a list of alphanumeric values in excel using the numeric part
of the value only. All the values have the format AB123456C but I need the
whole value to show after the sort, not just the numeric part.

Can this be done?

Alistair

excel 39879 articles. 2 followers. Follow

Assuming your data is in an unbroken list: Add a new column. Insert the
formula =MID(A1,3,6) and copy down to the length of your data. This should
give you just the numerical part of your value. Now you can sort on it.

Whether you chose to display this column after the sort is up to you.
--
George Nicholson

Remove 'Junk' from return address.

"Alistair Mitchell" <the.dungeon@blueyonder.co.uk> wrote in message
> I need to sort a list of alphanumeric values in excel using the numeric
part
> of the value only. All the values have the format AB123456C but I need the
> whole value to show after the sort, not just the numeric part.
>
> Can this be done?
>
> Alistair

0
JunkGeorgeN (154)