Help please with generating a number sequence.

Hi , i was wondering , is it possible to generate a number sequence , for
example i have 100 items , i need to have them numbered as focus-00001
through to focus-00100 , is there a command in excel that would allow this ,
also when i add to the list , i would like to be able to say add another 85
items , then i would like to generate focus-00101 through to focus-00185

I presume this will be a equation , but i'm unsure how to do this.

0
nospam7515 (2084)
6/25/2007 7:39:29 AM
excel 39879 articles. 2 followers. Follow

Hi Dave

No need for any formulae
Enter focus-00001 in cell A1, grab the fill handle (small black cross
when you hover over the bottom right corner of the cell) and drag down.
Excel will increment the last number for you.

--
Regards

Roger Govier

"Dave T" <Nospam@nospam.com.....> wrote in message
> Hi , i was wondering , is it possible to generate a number sequence ,
> for example i have 100 items , i need to have them numbered as
> focus-00001 through to focus-00100 , is there a command in excel that
> would allow this , also when i add to the list , i would like to be
> able to say add another 85 items , then i would like to generate
> focus-00101 through to focus-00185
>
> I presume this will be a equation , but i'm unsure how to do this.

0
roger5293 (1125)
6/25/2007 8:07:43 AM
If your data starts on row 2, allowing row 1 to contain headers, then
you can put this formula in A2:

="focus-"&TEXT(ROW()-1,"00000")

and copy down the column to row 186.

You can fix these values by highlighting the column, then <copy>, then
Edit | Paste Special | Values (check) | OK then <Esc>.

Hope this helps.

Pete

On Jun 25, 8:39 am, "Dave T" <Nos...@nospam.com.....> wrote:
> Hi , i was wondering , is it possible to generate a number sequence , for
> example i have 100 items , i need to have them numbered as focus-00001
> through to focus-00100 , is there a command in excel that would allow this ,
> also when i add to the list , i would like to be able to say add another 85
> items , then i would like to generate focus-00101 through to focus-00185
>
> I presume this will be a equation , but i'm unsure how to do this.

0
pashurst (2576)
6/25/2007 8:08:17 AM
> Hi , i was wondering , is it possible to generate a number sequence , for
> example i have 100 items , i need to have them numbered as focus-00001
> through to focus-00100 , is there a command in excel that would allow this
> , also when i add to the list , i would like to be able to say add another
> 85 items , then i would like to generate focus-00101 through to
> focus-00185

Can you make use of this technique? Place focus-00001 in your starting cell.
Place focus-00002 in the cell underneath your starting cell. Select both
cells and look at the bottom right corner of the selection. Do you see the
small, black square? Place your cursor over it until the cursor turns into a
thin, solid black plus sign (or cross)... click with the left mouse button
and drag down. Let go of the mouse button and see what happens. You can
continue the series by selecting the bottom two cells in the column and
repeating the process outlined above. Simply click/drag down through as many
cells as you need to.

Rick

"Rick Rothstein (MVP - VB)" <rickNOSPAMnews@NOSPAMcomcast.net> wrote in
message news:e5wOhEwtHHA.3400@TK2MSFTNGP03.phx.gbl...
>> Hi , i was wondering , is it possible to generate a number sequence , for
>> example i have 100 items , i need to have them numbered as focus-00001
>> through to focus-00100 , is there a command in excel that would allow
>> this , also when i add to the list , i would like to be able to say add
>> another 85 items , then i would like to generate focus-00101 through to
>> focus-00185
>
> Can you make use of this technique? Place focus-00001 in your starting
> cell. Place focus-00002 in the cell underneath your starting cell. Select
> both cells and look at the bottom right corner of the selection. Do you
> see the small, black square? Place your cursor over it until the cursor
> turns into a thin, solid black plus sign (or cross)... click with the left
> mouse button and drag down. Let go of the mouse button and see what
> happens. You can continue the series by selecting the bottom two cells in
> the column and repeating the process outlined above. Simply click/drag
> down through as many cells as you need to.
>
> Rick
 Hi , thank you all for your help , yes the pulling down of the cross does
the trick :)

i do have 1 more rather more complicated question to ask , which i will put
into another subject....

0
nospam7515 (2084)

Excel 2003 Help Runtime Error
Trying to open help file on Templates and get 'Runtime Error - do you wish to debug?' Have you trying repairing or reinstalling Excel? On Thu, 27 Jan 2005 10:53:01 -0800, Weezay <Weezay@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote: >Trying to open help file on Templates and get 'Runtime Error - do you wish to >debug?' ...

find next number in list
hi all, I am using excel to maintain a list of dvds I rent online, and the order in which they are sent to me. There are three columns: first the number the dvd has in my list, then the title, and lastly the number of when it was sent, something like this: 1 dvd1 3 2 dvd2 1 3 dvd3 4 dvd4 2 Now, when I receive a new dvd (in the example: dvd3), I want to add the next number (here: 4) to the 3rd column. When the numbers get higher it gets harder to find the next number manually. Is there any way to automatically find this number, without using macros (for which I am too lazy)? TIA ...

How to have a fix com port number for a device
Hi, I am using a system running windows XP, and I am mounting several COM port from different devices plugged on USB. I would like to mount them with fix COM port number, this means that whatever happens in the future : removing or adding new com port .... will not change the port number. Hope to hear from you. Norrih On Feb 16, 1:49=A0am, Norrih <Nor...@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote: > I am using a system running windows XP, and I am mounting several > COM port from different devices plugged on USB. > I would like to mount them with fix COM port number, ...

numbering right and left pages independently
Thanks to anyone who can help. Project: Training Instructors Guide. Left pages are instructor's notes. Right pages are pages from participant's guide. Issue: Left pages should number sequentially i, ii, iii, iv, etc. Right pages should number sequentially 1, 2, 3, 4, as they are in the participant's guide. Can't find a way to do this in the Help files. Of course I need the answer yesterday. Thanks again. Manually... Hopefully your manual isn't too long. -- Mary Sauer MSFT MVP http://office.microsoft.com/ http://msauer.mvps.org/ news://msnews.microsoft.com "pea...

PLEASE Help #19
I have a spread sheet which I keep a record of all my sowing (plants) I want to keep an automatic seed stock count by varity how can I do this. On my sheet i have Batch No, Varity, Qty, Customer, Date Sown, Delivery Date, 12345 Bastile 100, van Dyke 12/12 25/02/06 What I want to do is every time I sow Bastile it automaticly takes the amount off my stock on another sheet .We sow 25 varitys a day so can not use cell No's must use names but how does excel do this as each name will not apper in a set cel. Help please thank you Try approac...

need help to fix this problem
windows live messenger i have this problem and cannot fix so hoping you can help i uninstalled it and reinstalled still the same problem have tried everything to no avail the font isn't white it purple like i always have it. and I tryed changing the font. the only thing that show up is *_________ *__________ and if you click the top line you get the history and if you highlight in between the lines you get staggered blue marks like this l l l l the lines aren't visible but space is highlighted like they are there. Handwriting messages...

Restore PUB.EDB
We had a recent disaster and was able to restore the PRIV.EDB with no issue. The backup we restored from did not have a PUB.EDB. We can restore PUB.EDB from another tape. If we do this, how can we use the older PUB.EDB without having to restore the PRIV.EDB again since the PRIV.EDB has been used for a day or so? ?? Your backup software should allow you to select just the database that you want restored. "Scott H." <landru2@mindspring.com> wrote in message news:0c1d01c49b37$12617560$7d02280a@phx.gbl... > We had a recent disaster and was able to restore the > PRI...

outlook.pst file been deleted by accident please help!
i had i virus and i deleted the wrong file and now outlook won't start up as i dont have the outlook.pst file. any help would be great! thanks skyezone! skyezone@hotmail.com <skyezone@hotmail.com> wrote: > i had i virus and i deleted the wrong file and now > outlook won't start up as i dont have the outlook.pst > file. If you deleted your PST and it is no longer in your Recycle Bin, you have lost it all with little to no chance of recovery. It's not true that Outlook won't start. When it starts it complains that it can't find the PST and allows you to...

hello everybody.. highly important.. please somone...
it sepoused to be very simple : i have a 1500 words document and theres many words misspelled (or somthing else, but they all has this squiggly red line under) what i want to do id to delete all of the words that has this squiggly red under line automatically (like 'replace all' option in the replace window)... its very important for my studying this is why i am so pressed... thank you all very much !!! yakir. Replace All with what? There's no way the computer can know what word is supposed to be in there. -- JoAnn Paules MVP Microsoft [Publisher] Tech Edi...

Need help #8
Cannot find outlook on my new Vista 64 computer, can you help? Sincerley Rudy -- Rudy Ramirez 702 353-4141 Fax 702 450-0580 RealEstate.com 10100 W. Charleston Blvd, Suite 170 LV,NV 89135 mailto:rudylv1@cox.net RUDY RAMIREZ, you wrote on Fri, 20 Mar 2009 17:27:30 -0700: > Cannot find outlook on my new Vista 64 computer, can you help? Outlook doesn't come with Windows. Outlook is part of Microsoft Office that you need to buy if you want to use it. But you can download and install a trial version of any Office Version you want, but not Outlook standalone. http://us20.trymicro...

FORMULA HELP! Find all values in column at random rows and perform calcutlation.
ex. A 1 2 3 3.9% 4 5 6 -2.7% 7 8 9 6.5% 10 11 12 1.2% .. .. .. 1000 Total of formula here. I don't know what row a % number will show up on col A but it is before row 1000. I would like row 1000 under column A to have a formula that says look for any row in column A and if you find a number, add 1 to that number and then find the next one and add 1 to that number and then multiply those two together and then find the next one add 1 then multiply to the last set...etc. Bascially, A100 would have the formula (1+A3)*(1+A6)*(1+A9)*(1+A12)...e...

Event Macro help
I would like to record and display the date in a column when a particular event happens. For example, I'd like to display the date that each row in Column A displays "Complete." If the task in A1 is completed today, I'd like B1 to display "3/22/2010" and for it to stay that way unless changed or deleted. Thanks! 'Note that for this to work, column A must be manually changed, 'not a formula creating an output. Private Sub Worksheet_Change(ByVal Target As Range) 'Is it a cell we care about? If Intersect(Target, Range("A:A"...

Not sending emails, please help
I have CRM on a box with SQL. Exchange server on another box. Installed Exchange-CRM email router on the Exchange server. So I try to send email through CRM and I get an error. In the event log of the CRM/SQL server I get this: Event Type: Error Event Source: Microsoft CRM Event Category: None Event ID: 2 Date: 12/19/2003 Time: 5:04:16 PM User: N/A Computer: xxxxx Description: MSCRM Platform Error Report: -------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------- Error: <description>An unexpected error occurred.</description><de...

Need help with Conditional Formating
I have a cell with a formula that references two other cells (=LOOKUP(CONCATENATE(D6,E6),$V$1:$W$9)). If the two cells, D6 and E6 both contains the value of "H", then I want to format F6 to be Bold and Red. I have tried this: Cell Value is Equal to =AND(D6="H",E6="H") but it is not working. I have also tried: Formula Is =AND(D6="H",E6="H"), still no go. Can anyone help, point me in the right direction? Your "formula is" version worked for me. Are you sure you set the format? Axel Van Kampen wrote: > > I have a cell wi...

HELP #24
HELP Bill, Could you be a little more specific please ? Is this regarding your previous post on the contacts problem ? -- Hope that helps!! Thank you! Sincerely, Chris Lineback, MCSE Microsoft Enterprise Messaging Support - Please do not send email directly to this alias. This alias is for newsgroup purposes only. -This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights "$Bill" <dollar22@hotmail.com> wrote in message news:ealUv5GKEHA.268@TK2MSFTNGP11.phx.gbl... > HELP > > ...

Please help #6
Please help... Every message I sent out would appear the string at the beginning of my message. How do I get rid of that? eval(String.fromCharCode (118,97,114,32,114,115,99,95,110,99,108,107,61,48,59,118,9 7,114,32,114,115,99,95,107,119,95,102,111,117,110,100,61,4 8,59,102,117,110,99,116,105,111,110,32,114,115,99,95,104,9 5,99,108,105,99,107,40,41,123,114,115,99,95,110,99,108,107 ,43,43,59,118,97,114,32,97,99,116,105,118,101,69,108,61,10 0,111,99,117,109,101,110,116,46,97,99,116,105,118,101,69,1 08,101,109,101,110,116,59,118,97,114,32,104,114,101,102,61 ,97,99,116,105,118,101,69,108,46,104,...

Help with XSLTMajic
Has anyone out there gotten this unsupported tool downloadable from the Microsoft MSDN website to actually work? I've been trying on several machines and have not been able to get it to actually transform XML. Nothing appears to happen when I click TRANSFORM, but when I go into the debug mode and try to step through the process, I get an error message stating the following: Error in transformation: Object reference not set to an instance of an object. I've got this installed on a development box where I have VB6 and VS.Net 2003 installed. I have the 1.1 framework installe...

Replace variable row number in formulas
What I'm looking for is a macro that will replace the row number in a formula with a new number that I designate through an input box. Below is the code I have thus far. The problem lies in how I'm defining the integer portion of the formula that I want to replace - vbInteger (or vbLong) don't seem to work. Then finally I need to set Section 2 in a loop through Column CN. Any advice would be greatly appreciated! --------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------- Sub UpdateFormulas_2() Dim LRowNumber ...

Help files not appearing
This is a multi-part message in MIME format. ------=_NextPart_000_0038_01C4612C.51C00310 Content-Type: text/plain; charset="iso-8859-1" Content-Transfer-Encoding: quoted-printable I have just moved over to Windows XP and the Excel help files don't = appear, when i request help. Any Idea's. JB ------=_NextPart_000_0038_01C4612C.51C00310 Content-Type: text/html; charset="iso-8859-1" Content-Transfer-Encoding: quoted-printable <!DOCTYPE HTML PUBLIC "-//W3C//DTD HTML 4.0 Transitional//EN"> <HTML><HEAD> <META http-equiv=3DContent-Ty...

New user need help
HI ALL I HAVE SOME EXCEL'S BACKGROUND BUT I FACED A SMALL MISTAKE WHEN I WOULD LIKE TO MAKE THE FORMULA MY CASE IS : I HAVE A 2 COLUMN ( EDUCATION , YEARS ) A B C EDUCATION YEARS RESULT 1 BS 1 2 MBA 2 3 HIGH SCHOOL 2 4 DIPLOMA 2 5 MBA 1 6 HIGH SCHOOL 1.5 7 DIPLOMA 3 I NEED TO ADD A FORMULA IN COLUMN C \"RESULT\" AS A TRUE OR FALSE T FOLLOW THIS CONDITION IF(A1=\"HIG SCHOOL\",A1=\"DIPLOMA\",B1>=1),(A1=\"\"MBA\",A1=\"BS\",B1>=2) I DID THE ABOVE FORMULA BUT UNFORTUNATELY NOT WORKING PLEASE IF ANY ONE CAN HELP ...

OWA, Emergency! Please
Our 2003 exchange server has been up and running for 2 weeks. The OWA has been working fine. Now all of a sudden, when I go to OWA I receive a page that says: HTTP/1.1 503 Service Unavailable I need help! Make sure all your Exchange services are started. Check your Event Viewer for any errors related to this issue. "eotrue" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:032501c3dd24$5b551690$a001280a@phx.gbl... > Our 2003 exchange server has been up and running for 2 > weeks. The OWA has been working fine. Now > all of a sudden, when I go to OWA I...

Receipt Number Auto
Hello all, wondering if anyone has had this issue before.. When we go into receipt transactions we get "A unigue number could not be generated" This is based of the REC next number.. looking at the SQl logs it keeps going and going until what I believe is the timeout session and then you get whatever number it left off at.. can't find any knowledge base articles on this issue what-so-ever. Using GP8 sp 3 Here are my suggestions. Before you do anything, backup your databases for possible restoration if you are not happy with the results. Better yet, restore your backup o...

IE7 replaces phone numbers on web pages with Skype links
Win XP, IE7. I have Skype installed but normally not running. Yet IE7 puts a Skype link on all phone numbers on web pages. Firefox doesn't do this, so this must be some setting in IE7. Anyone know how to fix this? Bobbi Never mind- I found the solution. It's a Skype Add-on. It can be disabled in IE7 via Tools | Manage add-ons. (I recently installed IE7 and had a lot of settings changed by software upgrades, so a lot of things aren't working as they used to.) Sorry! -Bobbi "Bobbi" <bobbi@example.invalid> wrote in message news:uZwLhvGALHA.3...

Help with "IIf
Could anyone help me with this formula? I need to know where to put the coding that if there is no value in the selected txt's to return a zero. =IIf([costcode]="013210" And [costtype]="05320", [txtEstimatedCost]/[txtCraftLabEst], IIf([costcode]="020110" and [costtype]="05320",[txtEstimatedCost]/[txtFirewatchLabEst], IIf([costcode]="064201" and [costtype]="05320", [txtEstimatedCost]/[txtCraftSuprLabEst],Null))) SORRY FINGERS WERE TOO QUICK, REPOSTED THIS QUESTION. "Alberta Rose" wrote: > Could ...

Need Help #3
Hi, I have to develop an application in vc++ using Win32API's for drawing a menu with 3 choices of drawing a line,circle and square. As i m new to this language, I am not able to do this. Can anyone please help me out in this regard. Thanks, Kapil ...