Help needed with sum function

Hello,

Hopefully i can have a few questions answered all at once here.

1) Is the sum function within excel limited to approximately 30 cells
?

e.g. when I sum the cells     =sum(c14,c22,c30,c38,c46���        it
seems to stop after I get to about 30 cells.

2) Is there a difference in summing them like that or like this
=sum(c14+c22+c30+���.

3) is there a quicker way to sum cells when they are each a constant
number apart, like the above scenario where each cell number I want to
sum increases by 8 each time ?

I have about 52 cells to sum (one for each week of the year) and I am
thinking the only other way I can do it is to sum 10 at a time, then
do a final sum on those 6 x values but I would like it to be a bit
neater.

I thought there might have been an option somewhere like

=sum($C14+($n+8)+$C398)     where the starting cell is c14 and the end
cell is c398 and it sums every multiple cell of 8 in between.

(I just made that up of course, but it's sort of the formula i am
trying to achieve).

Regards and many thanks in advance,

Angela
0
Angela1 (2)
8/24/2005 10:41:16 AM
excel 39879 articles. 2 followers. Follow

Functions (such as SUM) that take a variable number of arguments are
limited to 30 arguments, not 30 cells.
    =SUM(C14+C22+C30,C38+C46+C54)
uses 2 arguments instead of 6, but this approach is a pain to enter and
would rapidly become unacceptably long.
    =C14+C22+C30+C38+C46+C54
is slightly shorter, but remains inconvenient to enter.

If by "quicker" you mean easier to enter, then you might try
    =SUM(IF(MOD(ROW(C14:C422),8)=6,C14:C422))
which must be array entered (Ctrl-Shift-Enter)

Jerry

Angela@Singh.com wrote:

> Hello,
>
> Hopefully i can have a few questions answered all at once here.
>
> 1) Is the sum function within excel limited to approximately 30 cells
> ?
>
> e.g. when I sum the cells     =sum(c14,c22,c30,c38,c46.........        it
> seems to stop after I get to about 30 cells.
>
> 2) Is there a difference in summing them like that or like this
> =sum(c14+c22+c30+..........
>
> 3) is there a quicker way to sum cells when they are each a constant
> number apart, like the above scenario where each cell number I want to
> sum increases by 8 each time ?
>
> I have about 52 cells to sum (one for each week of the year) and I am
> thinking the only other way I can do it is to sum 10 at a time, then
> do a final sum on those 6 x values but I would like it to be a bit
> neater.
>
> I thought there might have been an option somewhere like
>
> =sum($C14+($n+8)+$C398)     where the starting cell is c14 and the end
> cell is c398 and it sums every multiple cell of 8 in between.
>
> (I just made that up of course, but it's sort of the formula i am
> trying to achieve).
>

> Regards and many thanks in advance,
>
> Angela

0
post_a_reply (1395)
8/24/2005 11:12:55 AM
Wow Jerry, i will try this when i go back to work tomorrow - my
fingers are crossed, and i am expecting it to work because you sound
like you know what you are talking about :)

Thanks ever so much,
Angela

On Wed, 24 Aug 2005 07:12:55 -0400, "Jerry W. Lewis"
<post_a_reply@no_e-mail.com> wrote:

>Functions (such as SUM) that take a variable number of arguments are
>limited to 30 arguments, not 30 cells.
>    =SUM(C14+C22+C30,C38+C46+C54)
>uses 2 arguments instead of 6, but this approach is a pain to enter and
>would rapidly become unacceptably long.
>    =C14+C22+C30+C38+C46+C54
>is slightly shorter, but remains inconvenient to enter.
>
>If by "quicker" you mean easier to enter, then you might try
>    =SUM(IF(MOD(ROW(C14:C422),8)=6,C14:C422))
>which must be array entered (Ctrl-Shift-Enter)
>
>Jerry
>
>Angela@Singh.com wrote:
>
>> Hello,
>>
>> Hopefully i can have a few questions answered all at once here.
>>
>> 1) Is the sum function within excel limited to approximately 30 cells
>> ?
>>
>> e.g. when I sum the cells     =sum(c14,c22,c30,c38,c46.........        it
>> seems to stop after I get to about 30 cells.
>>
>> 2) Is there a difference in summing them like that or like this
>> =sum(c14+c22+c30+..........
>>
>> 3) is there a quicker way to sum cells when they are each a constant
>> number apart, like the above scenario where each cell number I want to
>> sum increases by 8 each time ?
>>
>> I have about 52 cells to sum (one for each week of the year) and I am
>> thinking the only other way I can do it is to sum 10 at a time, then
>> do a final sum on those 6 x values but I would like it to be a bit
>> neater.
>>
>> I thought there might have been an option somewhere like
>>
>> =sum($C14+($n+8)+$C398)     where the starting cell is c14 and the end
>> cell is c398 and it sums every multiple cell of 8 in between.
>>
>> (I just made that up of course, but it's sort of the formula i am
>> trying to achieve).
>>

>> Regards and many thanks in advance,
>>
>> Angela

0
Angela1 (2)
8/24/2005 11:24:44 AM
Angela,
Yes to the first two questions - there is a limit of 30 which ever o
these ways you try.

Is it possible to set up another line or column to get thse 52 answer
into 52 adjacent cells ? Assuming that the answers are in C14, C22, C3
etc, yo9u can set up another line so that column D reads column C s
cell D1 is =C14, D2 is =C22 etc. Once you have this then you can se
the sum function =Sum(D1:D53) at the end of the column

There is a way of getting the formula to step every eighth cell, but t
my mind this is making things more complicated than they need to be. I
the above suggestion doesn't work , then we'll go to option B

Cheer

--
Jon Quixle
Jon Quixley's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php?action=getinfo&userid=2580

Another option is to take Jerry's formula and change functions to
SumProduct, therefore eliminating the need for an array formula.

With just a normal <Enter>, try this:

=SUMPRODUCT((MOD(ROW(C14:C422),8)=6)*C14:C422)

--

HTH,

RD

<Angela@Singh.com> wrote in message
Wow Jerry, i will try this when i go back to work tomorrow - my
fingers are crossed, and i am expecting it to work because you sound
like you know what you are talking about :)

Thanks ever so much,
Angela

On Wed, 24 Aug 2005 07:12:55 -0400, "Jerry W. Lewis"
<post_a_reply@no_e-mail.com> wrote:

>Functions (such as SUM) that take a variable number of arguments are
>limited to 30 arguments, not 30 cells.
>    =SUM(C14+C22+C30,C38+C46+C54)
>uses 2 arguments instead of 6, but this approach is a pain to enter and
>would rapidly become unacceptably long.
>    =C14+C22+C30+C38+C46+C54
>is slightly shorter, but remains inconvenient to enter.
>
>If by "quicker" you mean easier to enter, then you might try
>    =SUM(IF(MOD(ROW(C14:C422),8)=6,C14:C422))
>which must be array entered (Ctrl-Shift-Enter)
>
>Jerry
>
>Angela@Singh.com wrote:
>
>> Hello,
>>
>> Hopefully i can have a few questions answered all at once here.
>>
>> 1) Is the sum function within excel limited to approximately 30 cells
>> ?
>>
>> e.g. when I sum the cells     =sum(c14,c22,c30,c38,c46.........        it
>> seems to stop after I get to about 30 cells.
>>
>> 2) Is there a difference in summing them like that or like this
>> =sum(c14+c22+c30+..........
>>
>> 3) is there a quicker way to sum cells when they are each a constant
>> number apart, like the above scenario where each cell number I want to
>> sum increases by 8 each time ?
>>
>> I have about 52 cells to sum (one for each week of the year) and I am
>> thinking the only other way I can do it is to sum 10 at a time, then
>> do a final sum on those 6 x values but I would like it to be a bit
>> neater.
>>
>> I thought there might have been an option somewhere like
>>
>> =sum($C14+($n+8)+$C398)     where the starting cell is c14 and the end
>> cell is c398 and it sums every multiple cell of 8 in between.
>>
>> (I just made that up of course, but it's sort of the formula i am
>> trying to achieve).
>>

>> Regards and many thanks in advance,
>>
>> Angela

0
ragdyer1 (4060)
8/24/2005 3:12:57 PM
You can also "fool" excel into going beyond the 30-cell limit by using extra
parentheses:
=SUM(C14,C22,C30,C38,C46) has Excel think there are 5 items, but
=SUM(C14,C22,(C30,C38,C46)) has Excel think there are only 2 items!!
So, you can get hundreds of cells (not evenly spaced or together, for
example) by something like:
=SUM(C10,C123,F9,(E17,R12,C11,C15),(group3 like
previous),(group4...),(group5)) and excel will think there are 7 with this
configuration or,
=SUM((C10,C123,F9,(E17,R12,C11,C15)),((group3 like
previous),(group4...),(group5))) and excel will think there are only 2!!
Bob Umlas
Excel MVP

> Hello,
>
> Hopefully i can have a few questions answered all at once here.
>
> 1) Is the sum function within excel limited to approximately 30 cells
> ?
>
> e.g. when I sum the cells     =sum(c14,c22,c30,c38,c46...        it
> seems to stop after I get to about 30 cells.
>
> 2) Is there a difference in summing them like that or like this
> =sum(c14+c22+c30+....
>
> 3) is there a quicker way to sum cells when they are each a constant
> number apart, like the above scenario where each cell number I want to
> sum increases by 8 each time ?
>
> I have about 52 cells to sum (one for each week of the year) and I am
> thinking the only other way I can do it is to sum 10 at a time, then
> do a final sum on those 6 x values but I would like it to be a bit
> neater.
>
> I thought there might have been an option somewhere like
>
> =sum($C14+($n+8)+$C398)     where the starting cell is c14 and the end
> cell is c398 and it sums every multiple cell of 8 in between.
>
> (I just made that up of course, but it's sort of the formula i am
> trying to achieve).
>

> Regards and many thanks in advance,
>
> Angela

This also works with *one* double pair of parenthesis:

=SUM((cell1,cell2, ... cell100))
--
Regards,

RD

"Bob Umlas" <Excel_Trickster@msn.com> wrote in message
> You can also "fool" excel into going beyond the 30-cell limit by using
extra
> parentheses:
> =SUM(C14,C22,C30,C38,C46) has Excel think there are 5 items, but
> =SUM(C14,C22,(C30,C38,C46)) has Excel think there are only 2 items!!
> So, you can get hundreds of cells (not evenly spaced or together, for
> example) by something like:
> =SUM(C10,C123,F9,(E17,R12,C11,C15),(group3 like
> previous),(group4...),(group5)) and excel will think there are 7 with this
> configuration or,
> =SUM((C10,C123,F9,(E17,R12,C11,C15)),((group3 like
> previous),(group4...),(group5))) and excel will think there are only 2!!
> Bob Umlas
> Excel MVP
>

> <Angela@Singh.com> wrote in message
> > Hello,
> >
> > Hopefully i can have a few questions answered all at once here.
> >
> > 1) Is the sum function within excel limited to approximately 30 cells
> > ?
> >
> > e.g. when I sum the cells     =sum(c14,c22,c30,c38,c46...        it
> > seems to stop after I get to about 30 cells.
> >
> > 2) Is there a difference in summing them like that or like this
> > =sum(c14+c22+c30+....
> >
> > 3) is there a quicker way to sum cells when they are each a constant
> > number apart, like the above scenario where each cell number I want to
> > sum increases by 8 each time ?
> >
> > I have about 52 cells to sum (one for each week of the year) and I am
> > thinking the only other way I can do it is to sum 10 at a time, then
> > do a final sum on those 6 x values but I would like it to be a bit
> > neater.
> >
> > I thought there might have been an option somewhere like
> >
> > =sum($C14+($n+8)+$C398)     where the starting cell is c14 and the end
> > cell is c398 and it sums every multiple cell of 8 in between.
> >
> > (I just made that up of course, but it's sort of the formula i am
> > trying to achieve).
> >

> > Regards and many thanks in advance,
> >
> > Angela

0
ragdyer1 (4060)
8/24/2005 8:34:30 PM
Bob Umlas wrote...
>You can also "fool" excel into going beyond the 30-cell limit by using extra
>parentheses:

It's a 30 *argument* limit. The 'extra' parentheses create multiple
area range references that Excel considers single arguments.

>=SUM(C14,C22,(C30,C38,C46)) has Excel think there are only 2 items!!

No, there are 3 arguments: 2 single cell references, C14 and C22, and a
multiple area range reference, (C30,C38,C46).

>So, you can get hundreds of cells (not evenly spaced or together, for

As a practical matter, the formula limit of 1024 characters puts a
ceiling of 312 cells that could be references in one formula. For cells
all below row 9 the upper limit would be 254 cells.

That said, monster formulas consisting mostly of individual cell
references provide more potential for formula errors than almost
anything else.

0
hrlngrv (1990)

SQL Help
I am trying to run a query in SQL to find the following: select firstname, lastname, emailaddress, accountbalance from customer where accountbalance <= '0' I get the error, "Disallowed implicit conversion from data type varchar to data type money, table 'REALHQ.dbo.Customer', column 'AccountBalance'. Use the CONVERT function to run this query." How do I make ths query work? I want to get the email addresses of people who have credit's with us to let them know to come and spend their money! Thanks, Nick remove the quotes from the where clause ...

need a lot of help
for seting outlook express Call your ISP/Mail Server to get the proper account settings. Then visit Windows Updates and fix your computer that hasn't seen an update since August, 2004. -- Bruce Hagen MS-MVP [Mail] Imperial Beach, CA "CHRISTOPHE CEFALIA" <c.cefalia@fca.com> wrote in message news:uwFK0ygkKHA.1864@TK2MSFTNGP05.phx.gbl... > for seting outlook express > Start here: http://windowsupdate.microsoft.com CHRISTOPHE CEFALIA wrote: > for seting outlook express CHRISTOPHE CEFALIA wrote: > for...

Guidance needed with a formula
Very new to working with formulas so here goes: If I have the average of 10 numbers, cells A2-A11, is there a formula that will give me the 3 numbers closest to the average? :confused: -- sroehl ------------------------------------------------------------------------ sroehl's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php?action=getinfo&userid=21773 View this thread: http://www.excelforum.com/showthread.php?threadid=472481 Hi! The "simple" way: In B2 enter this formula: =ABS(A2-AVERAGE(A$2:A$11))+ROW(A2)/10^10 Copy down to B11 In C2 enter this formula: =INDEX(A$2:...

Offline defrag needed after deleting 250 old users?
Is an offline defrag of our Exchange 2003 DB needed are deleting 250 old users/mailboxes? Thanks How much data was deleted? What portion of the total is this? Nue "SW" <SW@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:0B5087DE-CABB-47FB-9D2F-A6DEC467A2C7@microsoft.com... > Is an offline defrag of our Exchange 2003 DB needed are deleting 250 old > users/mailboxes? > > Thanks > > On Wed, 8 Mar 2006 04:39:27 -0800, SW <SW@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote: >Is an offline defrag of our Exchange 2003 DB needed are deleting 250 old >users/...

function button fx
how do you turn off the dialog box from appearing everytime you click the function shortcut button? Do you just want an equal sign as in Excel pre-2002? As the corresponding button to a toolbar using Tools|Customize -- Bernard V Liengme www.stfx.ca/people/bliengme remove caps from email "nvrockman" <nvrockman@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:0EF79195-612B-45C4-A1C8-1C513D6FEC9B@microsoft.com... > how do you turn off the dialog box from appearing everytime you click the > function shortcut button? ...

Numbers won't "SUM" from YAHOO
I have copied the chart of monthly messsage total from YAHOO groups in order to make a chart. On YAHOO they are hyperlinks to the messages of that month and appear and behave in EXCEL as hyperlinks. I have vopied the hyperlinks to my NOTETAB text editor which leaves me with text only, tab separated. The cells are formatted as numbers. I have pasted the result into a sheet and the totals appear as text. I cannot sum the rows or columns. The result is zero. In one case I inadvertantly included the row heading "year date" and that was in the result. So there is still some formatti...

Help with displya of time formats
I'm trying to add up some times, ie: 00:01:30 + 00:01:40 - adding one minute and 30 seconds to 1 minute and 40 seconds. I can get the addition to work properyl and yeild the desired result, however the constant displaying of full clock time for the above numbers makes it a real pain to edit the times. Is there a simpler way of displaying time so that there is no date, or AM or PM or the addition of an hour in front of the number (ie 00:01:30 becomes 12:01:30)? Even if I format the number as mm:ss, I still get the hour showing when a number is entered. I was hoping to use Degrees, Minu...

Start a macro inside an IF-function
Hi, Does anyone know if it is possible to start a recorded macro fro inside an if-function? Example: IF(A1 < A2; "start macro"; "do nothing") The stored macro is sort of a header, red background and merged cell with a text in the middle. I would like it to start when a value in th next row changes. And the header should be placed between A1 and A2. Take care, Thoma ----------------------------------------------- ~~ Message posted from http://www.ExcelTip.com ~~View and post usenet messages directly from http://www.ExcelForum.com Thomas, You can run a VBA functi...

Need Master Schedule for Manufacturing
There is no true master schedule functionality. Work around is to use sales forecasting but that is difficult to manage and very error prone. Need to be able to designate items as master scheduled items so that when an item is entered onto a SO that it does not drive demand. Demand needs to be managed by the Master Scheduler. ---------------- This post is a suggestion for Microsoft, and Microsoft responds to the suggestions with the most votes. To vote for this suggestion, click the "I Agree" button in the message pane. If you do not see the button, follow this link to ope...

Help ME!!!! Automatically extracting a filtered list
Is it possble to extract a list of cells containing part of a word to a different sheet? :confused: Exaple: I have a very long list containing items similar to the following Media video cassette TDK, Box of 10 video cassette SONY, Box of 5 video cassette cleaner, Single units Digital Media DVD -R, Pack of 25 DVD +R, Pack of 10 DVD R/W, Pckof 5 Now I ned to extract to a different excel sheet wherever there is written "video" and extract also to an other different sheet wherever there is written "DVD". I do no want to display the words Media and Digital Media and no blan...

0x80004005 error message
I am using Windows Vista with Windows Mail and logged in this morning and clicked send/receive and it came up with this message: An unknown error has occurred. Account: 'Chris @ Home', Server: 'mail.btinternet.com', Protocol: POP3, Port: 110, Secure(SSL): No, Error Number: 0x80004005 How can I get rid of it? I have uninstalled Nortons Internet Security and it still happens. Please help. Thanks The 0x80004005 error is usually a result of a corrupted message structure on the server. In your browser go to your provider's webmail portal and log in. Then cl...

if/true/false help
I know this is probably simple, but i just can't get it to work :o I have a column of numbers in a worksheet. I get updated data feeds that may have changes in the numbers. I copy this column next to the existing column. I need a formula that will tell me if each row in the column matches the row in the next column. so E2 is true if it matches F2, E3 to F3, E4 to F4, etc and false if it does not match. -- Thanks :) Lori Paste this formula in G2 =IF(AND(E2="",F2=""),"",E2=F2) Copy the G2 formula and paste it to the remaining cells of...

Help #27
HI I am trying to count the total of leave taken without the holidays and the weekends i have used the NETWORKDAYS but i dont know what is the formula in order to have a total of vacation taken excluding weekends and holidays so this is the table that i have i am using network days but its not working Total =NETWORKDAYS(B17,C17) B= from C=To Holidays Example B C C52 New Year 1/1/2008 C53 Labor Day 1/5/2008 C54 Independence Day 22/11/2008 C5 Christmas ...

New to DateDiff Function
I am trying to create a database in Access using a Table. I'm trying to set the DateDiff function to calculate the Last Day Worked and Now for every entry. How and where do I enter with information. If you need the two dates, side by side, in a singe row, you need to refer to the table twice, though a join, as example. SELECT a.dateWork, b.dateWord, LAST(a.someOtherField), LAST(b.againSomeOtherField) FROM (myTable AS a LEFT JOIN myTable As b ON a.dateWork > b.dateWork) LEFT JOIN myTable AS c ON a.dateWork > c.dateWor...

Probability help
-- I am working a major project in my statistics class and have hit a snag. I have 4 questions that require me to use and show Excel functions (formulas) in my worksheet. I can not seem to find the correct way to input formulas for the probability of the following information: I need to find the probability of a number greather to or equal to 7 I need to find the probability of numbers less than or equal to 50K I need to find the probability of numbers between 150K and 250K I need to find the probability of numbers less than 49K I have empirical data sets for to use to find ...

In search of help identifying cause for application event 5000 or 5001
Many times a day, I am seeing one of the following two event log entries on a SharePoint 2007/MOSS 2007 machine "Error","5000","2/4/2010 7:59:47 AM","Windows SharePoint Services 3 Error Reporting","SERVER1","None","N/A","EventType ulsexception12, P1 w3wp.exe, P2 6.0.3790.3959, P3 45d6968e, P4 stswel.dll, P5 12.0.6219.1000, P6 473bb9f2, P7 na, P8 5506f, P9 c0000005, P10 837l." or "Information","5001","2/3/2010 1:08:54 PM","Windows SharePoint Services 3 Error Reporting...

Help understanding inquiry and writeoff credit memos
I=92m trying to understand an Inquiry (in Fabrikam). Inquiry>Sales>Transaction by Document. I select an invoice record where the document amount is greater then the amount remaining, amount remaining is zero. Most have payments applied. No problem understanding these. :) But some display a Writeoff Credit Memo. With the payments you have a payment document type and an applied amount. With the writeoff credit memos you have a write off amount and applied amount is zero. Maybe it=92s because I=92m not exactly sure what a =93writeoff=94 credit memo is. Any help would be appreciated ...

Need Help with Integration Assistant for Excell
I have installed the Integration Assistant for Excel on one of the clients but the toolbar doesn't show up in Excel. I have checked the disable items and nothing is listed. I have also confirmed that the iaxladdin is checked in Tools/Add-Ins but still no joy. Does anyone have any ideas? ...

Need Help Forwarding Mail to Public Folder
Hello-- I spent way too much time on this last night and I think I'm brain dead. How can I set up a user object in AD Users and Computers to forward email to a mail enabled public folder located in the default public folder tree? I have it all set up, but it appears that within the Exchange tab in the user's properties, the only option to forward an email message is to another object in AD. Please help me gain my sanity back... Thanks, Stephen Not sure why it's not working for you - but a clarification: PFs "are AD objects". Or, to be more specific, one corres...

Need a query to display specific fields, having trouble customizing
Hi all, I hope you can help me as our IT manager has left the building (permanently) and I've been stuck with trying to figure this out. I have a newsletter that needs to go out and I need to export the address information of all of the contacts that allow mail. Were I able to accesss a SQL query manager, my life would be a lot easier, however, I'm stuck dealing with this clunky 360 interface. Can anyone tell me how I would specificy exactly what fields I want to display and export to Excel? Thanks so much, Danielle Sounds like you may be using a c360 add-in for CRM, such as thei...

summing different values
Range B3:F33 has differen values. Cells are formatted as accounting for 3 different currecy: Hebrew (NIS), Dollars and Euros In cell B35 I want to have the sum of the NIS Hbrew Shekels In cell B36 I want the summ of Dollars In cell B37 I want the sum of the Euros from the range. Is This possible??? Are you saying the numbers in B3:B33 have one of three formats; you wan to sum by format? -- www.stfx.ca/people/bliengme "Khalil handal" wrote: > Range B3:F33 has differen values. Cells are formatted as accounting for 3 > different currecy: Hebrew (NIS), Dollars and Euros...

Need to import a table done in PDF into Excel
I have a data table in a PDF document that I would really, really like to import into Excel so I can manipulate the data. The PDF settings cannot be changed in any way - it's how the program that creates the PDF file is written, and I don't have/can't get rewrite privileges. At work I have Excel 2003, at home I have Excel 2007. I have the document saved on my computer as a PDF, and I also have a hard copy. Is this possible, and if so, how? Thanks! Hi Beth I use AbleExtract for this http://www.investintech.com/prod_options.htm -- Regards Ron de Bru...

Intercompany Bank Reconciliation Functionality
I have been informed that the Intercompany Transaction module functionality in GP 10.0 does not work with the Bank Reconciliation Module. Have I been informed correctly? Is there another program or add-on I can use to get around this lack of functionality if need be? You've been informed correctly. There is a product called AIT (Advanced Intercompany Transactions) by MC2 that offers Intercompany Bank Rec transactions: http://www.mc2software.net/products/AIT/AITFeatures.htm#TransactionEntry Here is a comparison to GP's Intercompany module: http://www.mc2software.net/products/AIT...

need a date look here

Need Help #4
All, When outlook 2000 running in idel mode, i get the following message: the procedure entry point STRTOKEX could not be located in the dynamic library MDSERT2.dll Please help with troubleshooting this problem. Thanks. ED ...