Help Needed ... Probably simple for you gurus ... locking cell after data entered and

positioning next cell after enter is hit

I am very computer illiterate and have searched and experimented for 2
days with limited success

here is currently what the macro does

when data is entered into a cell that cell is filled with the color
green....simple...and works

also there is 3 different columns with data being
entered...A....B....C....after data is entered in C it automatically
puts the current date in the corresponding cell in column D....that is
somewhat ok...would like it to time stamp it also

here is features that I would like to add

Once data is entered to a cell I would like to lock that data so it
cannot be changed....also after data is entered into a cell on column
C as I said a date is also posted in corresponding cell in column
D...I would like the date/timestamp to be locked also

also to input data we will be using a bar code scanner that is
programmed to hit enter after data is collected...so for
example....when we scan data for column a row 2 and enter is
hit(through the Bar Scanner) it goes down to row 3...instead I would
like it to go to column B and same row....then after that goto column
C same row...then after that go to column a but down a row

I attached the simple spreadsheet

any help would be greatly appreciated

also my email is paulmitchell@gmail.com nand if replied there I could
send a copy of the spreadsheet for someone to help

thanks
excel 39879 articles. 2 followers. Follow

pmitch8484 wrote on 1/24/2012 :
> positioning next cell after enter is hit
>
> I am very computer illiterate and have searched and experimented for 2
> days with limited success
>
> here is currently what the macro does
>
> when data is entered into a cell that cell is filled with the color
> green....simple...and works
>
> also there is 3 different columns with data being
> entered...A....B....C....after data is entered in C it automatically
> puts the current date in the corresponding cell in column D....that is
> somewhat ok...would like it to time stamp it also
>
> here is features that I would like to add
>
> Once data is entered to a cell I would like to lock that data so it
> cannot be changed....

Protect the sheet with a password. You can still change cells while
protected via VBA IF you set 'UserInterfaceOnly:=True' when applying
protection.

> also after data is entered into a cell on column
> C as I said a date is also posted in corresponding cell in column
> D...I would like the date/timestamp to be locked also

Don't use the VBA Date() function. Use the Now() function instead.

> also to input data we will be using a bar code scanner that is
> programmed to hit enter after data is collected...so for
> example....when we scan data for column a row 2 and enter is
> hit(through the Bar Scanner) it goes down to row 3...instead I would
> like it to go to column B and same row....then after that goto column
> C same row...then after that go to column a but down a row

You can set the default behavior for this on the 'Edit' tab in
'Options'. What you can't do here is choose more than one direction.

To accomplish moving to the next row in colA you need to use the
Worksheet_Change event and test which column the 'Target' cell is in...

  Sample code:
    If Target.Column = Columns("C") Then
      Cells(Target.Row + 1, "A").Select
    End If
  End Sub

To insert this code, right-click the sheet tab and select 'View Code',
then paste the code into the code window.

--
Garry

gs3102 (378)

visible cell only

Using part of a cell in a chart title

data input in text box

MS Money 95 data files

Locked records
I am having a bit of an annoying problem with my Access application. The data is held on a SQL 2000 server with Access front-end. I have a form (Form A) used for editing records, this form is launched from a command button on another form (Form B) and filters to a sepcific records on Form A dependant on the record in Form B. Nothing special here I use this technique all over this application. Form A opens up and displays the record I want but when ever I make a change and try to exit the form or save the record I get the following message: "The record has been changed by another user...

Outlook needs Outlook Express to work

move cell contents

help with simple maths in excel

Help with income/expenses

Need help with Auto Filter

Sorting Data #5

HELP! remote data not accessible msg

Help with a simple database
I am attempting to use Excel to develop a simple database for my office. The database basically lists a variety of orders purchased from various vendors, and my goal is to categorize and sort each vendor seperately. For example: GC Group 4/24/03 7831.1 $1,000.00 Alpha 1/20/03 7003.1 $2,000.00 Chandler 5/6/03 7050.1 $345.50 Is what the main chart looks like. Now, what I'm trying to accomplish is, suppose I added Tomsen 4/20/03 7873.1 $200.00 to the very bottom, Excel would automatically create a new tab (or even worksheet, if possible) tit...

Looking for help on timing within a function
At the facility I work, our associates use a very basic access database to sign out individual work orders on an interval of around every 12 minutes. They have asked if it would be possible to put a timer on the front page of the database to show how long they have been working on the current work order, updating each time they sing out another order. I am not very adept at access nor is the rest of our management staff. Is it possible to add this function, so they can better keep time of their work being done? Use the Form Timer event. Here is an example of how it can be done. In this ex...

Can anyone help ?

Excel Problem

Need Query Help

How do I copy data in single cell format to a merged cell format
I need to copy a list of data in single cell format into a spreadsheet where those same columns are merged cells (with four cells merged into one). I have several hundred lines of data so some way of copy & paste (other than each cell individually) would be appreciated. Thanks Paul Hi Paul What I would do is copy format of sheet with merge cells to blank sheet then copy single cell data to sheet with merge cells select single cell to paste you lose formatting so after just copy format from blank sheet created earlier I find this easiest way Hope this helps Tina "Paul" w...