Help: Need to produce list of unique names from multiple name occurances

Situation:
Daily I produce a large SS from a database. In one column are name
(persons, regions, or empty celss etc.) which may appear multilpl
times throughout the entire column, such as;

joe
sue
joe
regionA
joe
sue
Willy Nelson
etc.

Objective:
I need a formula [or macro], which I assume will be placed at the en
of the column, which will produce a new list of names, having only on
(1) occurance of the name, such as;

joe
sue
regionA
Willy Neson

Thanks for any help you can provid

--
ja
jay's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php?action=getinfo&userid=237

excel 39879 articles. 2 followers. Follow

Try using Data-->Filter-->Advanced Filter, choose the Unique...
************
Hope it helps!
Anne Troy
www.OfficeArticles.com

"jay" <jay.21orem_1137345000.5363@excelforum-nospam.com> wrote in message

> Situation:
> Daily I produce a large SS from a database. In one column are names
> (persons, regions, or empty celss etc.) which may appear multilple
> times throughout the entire column, such as;
>
> joe
> sue
> joe
> ..
> ..
> regionA
> joe
> sue
> Willy Nelson
> etc.
>
> Objective:
> I need a formula [or macro], which I assume will be placed at the end
> of the column, which will produce a new list of names, having only one
> (1) occurance of the name, such as;
>
> joe
> sue
> regionA
> Willy Neson
>
> Thanks for any help you can provide
>

> --
> jay
> jay's Profile:
> http://www.excelforum.com/member.php?action=getinfo&userid=2377
> View this thread: http://www.excelforum.com/showthread.php?threadid=501487

0
ng1 (1444)
1/15/2006 5:33:22 PM
It's truly amazing the help you get from people like you !

Thank you for your solution. It provided me a quick way to get thi
done. I will attempt to put it in a macro, so that it becomes a
automated task.

ja
jay's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php?action=getinfo&userid=237
View this thread: http://www.excelforum.com/showthread.php?threadid=50148

So glad I could help! You can "steal" bunches of macros over at
www.vbaexpress.com/kb
If you join the forum, you can search there too. It's all free.
************
Hope it helps!
Anne Troy
www.OfficeArticles.com

"jay" <jay.21pkkm_1137382800.8764@excelforum-nospam.com> wrote in message

> It's truly amazing the help you get from people like you !
>
> Thank you for your solution. It provided me a quick way to get this
> done. I will attempt to put it in a macro, so that it becomes an
> automated task.
>
> jP
>

> --
> jay
> jay's Profile:
> http://www.excelforum.com/member.php?action=getinfo&userid=2377
> View this thread: http://www.excelforum.com/showthread.php?threadid=501487

0
ng1 (1444)

Need help to call Compact & Repair Database command from a office VB script
I have a VB script in Excel that runs something like SET db = opendatabase ("Filename") db.querydefs ("Run query 1" etc... What I'm doing is running a query to delete the data in the table, drop the indexes, load the data and then rebuild the indexes. I'd really like to throw in a compact and repair database as well to avoid the 2 GB data limit and the subsequent "invalid parameter limit". Can someone guide me how to run the compact database command please? Thanks. Public Sub CompactDatabase() On Error Resume Next dao.DBEngine.Compac...

Global Address List permissions
I am running Exchange 2003 and have a problem with the permissions for editing the Global Address list. As the administrator I was able to edit information for contacts on the GAL. I tried to set a permission to let a user be able to edit the information (phone numbers addresses etc), but seem to have made a mistake. Now I am unable to edit any of it as administrator. I could use a bit of advice on how to fix this problem. On Mon, 25 Jul 2005 15:53:03 -0700, Gimbal <Gimbal@discussions.microsoft.com> hired a team of monkeys to write: >I am running Exchange 2003 and have a probl...

How to sort multiple sheets (which have same format) at one time?
I have a workbook with multiple sheets which have the same format. I need to sort all in the same manner. How can this be done. I noticed that the sort function is not available when selecting/grouping multiple sheets. I'm going to take you at your word and make a few assumptions. Taking you at your word: ALL sheets in the workbook need to be sorted. Assumptions: only 1 column is used to determine the sort order, and the sort is to be in ascending order. The following code will do that, and allows you to define which columns are included in the sort, and which column ...

automatic list of e-mail subjects
I would like to list the subject names of whole e-mails in my INBOX (including all subfolders of Inbox). How can i do that by code? I think that will be wonderfull, I'm looking for something like that since a year because i can't program anything... I will be even more powerfull if the list could be shared on a server and automatically load to every users. This will sell like cookie since a lot of company work with porject number and custumer, rules for filtering could also be manage on the server by only one person as the subject list also. "mezzanine1974" wrote: &...

Messages list missing in MFC ClassWizard dialogue box
I need to work on a old VC++ (rev 3?) project completed years ago. The project opens fine under VC++ 6, and it compiles/works fine, too Now, I open View->Classwizard..., and the Messagemaps tab. Select CMyNameApp for Class name, and CMyNameApp for Object ID, I can't see anything under the Messages list (where I see AddToRecentFilelist, DoMessgeBox, ...., in all my new VC++ projects) Anyway to bring them in? THanks! "Chen" <Chen@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:32FC4382-0964-4644-B4E8-98A9B2F1F99D@microsoft.com... >I need to work on a old VC++ ...

Contact list limitation
Is there a limit to the number of contacts you can have in a contact list? We are currently running Exchange 2003 and just upgraded to Outlook 2007. If there is a limit, is it an Outlook limit or an Exchange limit? TIA, Jim P.S. Is there a difference between a contact list and a distribution list? On Thu, 27 May 2010 17:05:02 -0700, Jim in Cleveland <JiminCleveland@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote: >Is there a limit to the number of contacts you can have in a contact list? >We are currently running Exchange 2003 and just upgraded to Outlook 2007. If >...

Some users not listed in Global Address Book ???
Dear Sir, I have some of my users in my exchange 2003, their contacts are not listed in the GAL although I can send them e-mails, and they can receive. What Should I have to do to make their contacts appear in the GAL? On Thu, 13 Jul 2006 00:12:01 -0700, Mahmoud Metwally Ali <Mahmoud Metwally Ali@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote: >Dear Sir, I have some of my users in my exchange 2003, their contacts are not >listed in the GAL although I can send them e-mails, and they can receive. >What Should I have to do to make their contacts appear in the GAL? Are you talking about user...

auto display names sent
When I send a message it will only keep the name for auto populating for about a week. How do I change that setting? WYSIWYG. Autocomplete for TO line will only offer the last 29 contacts you'd entered. There are no plans to fix this or any other bug. Darton wrote: > When I send a message it will only keep the name for auto populating for > about a week. How do I change that setting? Windows Mail auto-completes from a separate list of 29 addresses you type in, not from your contacts. This list is stored in the registry. If you wish to remove old or incorrect ad...

Need to print all address lines on a 1099 form
In Great Plains Version 10, on the vendor card, under the address button, you are able to enter 3 lines of address information. However, when printing 1099's, only the first 2 lines of address information will print on the form. Since we utilize all 3 address lines, we had many 1099 forms returned as undeliverable this past year. According to our partner, Microsoft indicated that, currently, there is no way to print the third line of information. ---------------- This post is a suggestion for Microsoft, and Microsoft responds to the suggestions with the most votes. To vote for ...

Drive's display name
On my XP machine I have a DVD drive and a CD drive. Windows Explorer displays these as "DVD Drive (E:)" and "CD-RW Drive (F:)". When I try to use SHGetFileInfo and IShellFolder's GetDisplayNameOf(), both return "CD Drive (E:)" and "CD Drive (F:)". How can I get the display name that Windows Explorer uses? ...

MSPOS 2.0
To change the behavior of the screen's min/max buttons one must enable it through the POS View. Need to be able to set this in Manager View also for non-POS machines without having to hack the database. ---------------- This post is a suggestion for Microsoft, and Microsoft responds to the suggestions with the most votes. To vote for this suggestion, click the "I Agree" button in the message pane. If you do not see the button, follow this link to open the suggestion in the Microsoft Web-based Newsreader and then click "I Agree" in the message pane. http://www.m...

Importing distribution list.
Hi, Hopefully have a quick easy question... One of our users has created a distribution list within Outlook 2007 with 80 odd external e-mail addresses. They now have asked us to move the distribution list from her outlook contact into the GAL. How do i do this without having to manually create a new distribution list and manually add each e-mail address. PS. we are running Exchange 2007 Thanks for any help For5six "For5six" <for5six@googlemail.com> wrote in message news:d3d8c245-010d-4e8a-bf55-5904579ae839@g1g2000vbr.googlegroups.com... > One of our us...

PopUp Form Help
I'm trying to create a pop-up form to allow users to enter data to table that main form is based on. Due to size of main form and because pop-up fields will only be used per certain entries on main form, I want to use a pop-up form to enter needed data. On the main form, I have the fields listed below. For example, if user enters "TypeOne" as a PType and then enters Model, AfterUpdate to Model field a pop-up form opens with fields for UnitGroupName and UnitModelName. I would like the UnitGroupName to be populated with "All TypeOne Products" when the po...

Longer Description in Routing Sequence Entry (needed for Outsourc.
We do a fair amount of outsourcing various process's in our manufacturing environment. When you create a purchase order from the Manufacturing Module, it would be nice to have the same field length in the Sequence Information Description of a Routing as is currently available for a Purchase Order. Currently we are having to manually enter the information a second time on the purchase order so the Vendor knows what we are talking about. Thanks! The suggested change will be included in the 9.0 release (previously referred to as 8.5), which is scheduled for 4Q05. -- This posting is...

Outlook 2003 -receiving multiple copies of messages
The setup. SBS2003 server, mail comes from ISP "CATCH_ALL pop box) WinXP Pro OutLook 2003 Clients (All fully service packed up) Situation. I send a message from an external source, be it hotmail or home account or even from another company to say 3 people at our company. john@mycomp.com, jim@mycomp.com, fred@mycomp.com. they all get the same message 3 times. If I try this from within the company they only get the message once. Any ideas would be very welcome. Thanx in advance of any help. John R Giddy_uk wrote: > The setup. > SBS2003 server, mail comes from ISP "CATCH_ALL...

Sum Multiple Worksheets, same named cell
I have multiple worksheets containing the same named cell (e.g. Month_Total). On a totals worksheet, I am not able to use =SUM('START,END'!Month_Total) because of the local/global naming. Is there a way around this? (Month_Total will not always be in the same cell on each worksheet). Thanks! It seems to me that you have two options. 1. Name each of your "Monthly Total"s slightly different. OR 2. Do not use the cell range naming. "uncreative" <uncreative@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:60A150C6-50BC-4876-A31F-1C...

Outlook 2003 Suggest Names feature stops working
Hello I've run into a problem with one of our Outlook 2003 installations. On this particular PC (XP SP2), the Suggest Names feature has spontaneously "forgotten" all of the email addresses in it's cache. It's like all of the email addresses are somehow deleted. The feature is still turned on in Tools, Options, Email Options, Adv Email Options. And any email addresses the user puts in after this problem occurs are remembered, but Outlook doesn't remember any from the day before or earlier. The user hasn't been mucking around with his settings, and this has hap...

Can I export Distribution Lists?
A different department has asked us for a copy of all our distribution lists, members of those lists, their smtp e-mail addresses, x500 addresses, as well as group owners and who has rights to send to thos lists. How do I get that? We have about 100 distribution lists each with about 100 users. We are running Windows 2000 and Exchange 2000. Thanks Hi Boe, - Scripting this would produce much more readable output. I was able to modify a script I wrote a while back for general use. Posted to blog: http://www.suneja.com/blog/2006/02/script-list-distribution-groups.html It doesn't hav...

How to automatically re-order a list
Hi, I have a worksheet with data in several rows. Column wise they consist of names, points etc.. I am trying to setup a formula whereby the formula looks at the data in the points columns and then re-orders the rows accordingly taking all the information in the row with it, with the highest points total at the top and lowest points total at the bottom. Each points cell, has a formula in there already which pulls the points total from other cells and combines them. Hope you can help! Thanks sandmania, Have your tried Data / Sort? Select the whole table, and the rows will stay togeth...

Help monthly sales by person
Need formula to figure amount of sales per person in a given month. columns currently are: Inv#, Date, Sale, Net $, Salesman # Need formula for monthly sales per Salesman # Thank you -- Htoomuc Posted from - http://www.officehelp.i With your headers in Row1, from Columns A to E, And the datalist from A2 to E100, Enter the month and year to lookup in F1 (mm/yy), And the salesman's # in F2, And try this: =SUMPRODUCT((TEXT(B2:B100,"mm/yy")=TEXT(F1,"mm/yy"))*(E2:E100=F2)*D2:D100) -- HTH, RD --------------------------------------------------------------------------...

Data sheet populating into multiple sheets
I'm looking to build a spreadsheet with one main page that can be populated with data and automatically pull that data over to other more specific sheets. For example, If I have sales on the main sheet and have check boxes for more specific sales on the same sheet (i.e. liquor sales, food sales etc..) I want that number to poulate on the specific sales sheet. I'm assumming I have to wite an IF/Then Statement to say if an "x" is put into a cell then copy and past the data in the specified cells within that row and pull that information over to sheet Y. One respon...

please help #3
In Money 2003, when I receive payment on an invoice, it automatically records it to my register. Is there any way around this? The reason is that I like to make one large deposit, and I want this large deposit to show in my register, not the individual ones. Thanks!! .. ...

Multiple database files created
I have an Access 2007 database that resides on our company's server. The database tracks incoming and outgoing shipments and is used by several employees throughout the day. I've noticed that in the folder where the database resides several additional database files are created throughout the day with names like database.mdb, database1.mdb, database2.mdb, etc. Can anyone tell me why this is happening? The database was created with Access 2007 using the 2003 mdb file format, as most of the end users have Office 2003 applications. Ken Warthen kenwarthen@gmail.com 1. Turn off...

Music list?
I don't know if it is possible, but I want to make a list of all music on my pc. Is there a way to import it directly from 'verkenner'? Becaus if I need to typ everything, it will take a lot of time Greetz sven. Whatever 'verkenner' is, you may want to Export your listing from there. Excel will accept text and CSV files, as well as database files. You may also generate a file listing from the command prompt and use that. Sven wrote: > I don't know if it is possible, but I want to make a list of all music > on my pc. > Is there a way to import it dir...

From Quicken to Money, need some insight
I am a new Money 2004 user after using Quicken for 10 years. I have noticed the monthly bills I have assigned dollar amounts to show up in the Budget planner. Underneath these routine bills, another budget entry is there entitled "other expenses for . . . ." If I leave the "other expenses for {whatever monthly bill I have setup} blank, it shows up during the review of the budget with no amount budgeted for that catergory. Even though I have a dollar amount setup for the monthly bill. However, if I enter the same dollar amount as the monthly bill, it than shows a subto...