Help inserting SYMBOLs in VBA

Using Insert -> Symbol, I am able to insert symbols into a worksheet.
How can I do this programiatically from VBA?
I've tried recording a macro to see but running that same macro inserts a
question mark ("?") instead of the symbol I inserted when recording the
macro.

Thanks
-Ed

excel 39879 articles. 2 followers. Follow

Take some notes when you do it manually--keep track of the codes you're using.

This worked ok for me:

    With ActiveSheet.Range("e1")
        .Value = Chr(38)
        .Font.Name = "Wingdings"
    End With

--

Dave Peterson
ec35720@msn.com

-Ed

"Dave Peterson" <ec35720@msn.com> wrote in message
> Take some notes when you do it manually--keep track of the codes you're
> using.
>
> This worked ok for me:
>
>    With ActiveSheet.Range("e1")
>        .Value = Chr(38)
>        .Font.Name = "Wingdings"
>    End With
>

> Ed Landau wrote:
>>
>> Using Insert -> Symbol, I am able to insert symbols into a worksheet.
>> How can I do this programiatically from VBA?
>> I've tried recording a macro to see but running that same macro inserts a
>> question mark ("?") instead of the symbol I inserted when recording the
>> macro.
>>
>> Thanks
>> -Ed
>
> --
>
> Dave Peterson
> ec35720@msn.com

Maybe someone familiar with unicode can jump in.  I've never used it.

--

Dave Peterson
ec35720@msn.com

Unicode, Working with in Excel
  http://www.mvps.org/dmcritchie/rexx/htm/unicode.htm

Symbols
    http://www.mvps.org/dmcritchie/rexx/htm/symbols.htm

--
---
HTH,

"Ed Landau" <aunst8_2000NO_SPAM@yahoo.com> wrote in message news:OCCaUq2mEHA.4024@TK2MSFTNGP12.phx.gbl...
> Thanks.... but that works for values up to 255.    I'm looking for Unicode
> 06DE (hex).
>
> -Ed
>

> "Dave Peterson" <ec35720@msn.com> wrote in message
> > Take some notes when you do it manually--keep track of the codes you're
> > using.
> >
> > This worked ok for me:
> >
> >    With ActiveSheet.Range("e1")
> >        .Value = Chr(38)
> >        .Font.Name = "Wingdings"
> >    End With
> >

> > Ed Landau wrote:
> >>
> >> Using Insert -> Symbol, I am able to insert symbols into a worksheet.
> >> How can I do this programiatically from VBA?
> >> I've tried recording a macro to see but running that same macro inserts a
> >> question mark ("?") instead of the symbol I inserted when recording the
> >> macro.
> >>
> >> Thanks
> >> -Ed
> >
> > --
> >
> > Dave Peterson
> > ec35720@msn.com

0
dmcritchie (2586)

Need Help With GP Item Pricing
GP ITEM PRICING I need to use “Bucket Pricing” for items in GP. For example below is the pricing schedule that I need to use. First 20 …………….$ 1.75 Next 280 ……………… 1.36 Next 700 ……………… 1.23 Next 2,000 ……………… 1.09 Over 3,000 ……………… .82 So if I had a Qty. of 350 it would be as follows 20 * 1.75 = 35 280 * 1.36 = 380.80 50 * 1.23 = 61.50 Total : $477.30 In GP I can only set it up to do a “Quantity Range” in the Item Price List Maintenance window. Problem is if I set it up that way and enter a quantity of 350 it will default to the $1.23 ...

Help! Large emails vanished!
Environment: Exchange Server 2003 on Windows Server 2003 R2 Standard I am investigating the frequent disappearance of emails for some users. The Message Tracking Centre shows that the message was received. However, I could not found the email in the users' mailbox. Checked that no auto-rule are enabled. Checked Exchange Email Journaling - no such emails. Yet, the message tracking centre shows that there such email exists. I think it's not the sender/subject of the emails as the user could receive other emails from the same sender and subject title. The common factor tha...

Inserting symbol
I'm trying to insert a symbol next to a number in a cell that is totaled. When I attempt this the number is not then recognized for the correct total. Do I need to change my SUM fx in some way to correct this? Hi, Do it with a format. Right click your cell - Format - Number tab -select Custom enter this custom format alter to include the symbol you wannt 0.0" Your Symbol" OK Mike "judyl" wrote: > I'm trying to insert a symbol next to a number in a cell that is totaled. > When I attempt this the number is not then recognized for th...

Matching names and inserting spaces
I hope someone can help me out with this. Say I have column A filled with like 500 names, and column B filled with 300 of the same names. Is there a way or a formula to match the names in column B to the corresponding names in column A, move the name in B to be in the same row as the name in A, and to insert blank cells into B where there are no names to match A? Example: A B Abe Abe Brad Brian Brian Chris Chris changed to: A B Abe Abe Brad Brian...

Change one table link by vba
Hi all, I got macro below which changes the link of all linked tables in access. How can I ammend it to change only one table link with the name "Summary". Please can any friend can help Public Sub RelinkTables() Dim Dbs As Database Dim Tdf As TableDef Dim Tdfs As TableDefs Set Dbs = CurrentDb Set Tdfs = Dbs.TableDefs 'Loop through the tables collection For Each Tdf In Tdfs If Tdf.SourceTableName <> "" Then 'If the table source is other than a base table Tdf.Connect = ";DATABASE=\\Home\Document\Record.mdb" Tdf.RefreshLink 'Refre...

Problem inserting in-line images
I am using Word 2003. Generally when I want to insert an image in a document I successfully use Insert..Picture...from file. I can then right click and add a caption is I want to. This is the preferred setting for me as i like to be able to easily add text before and after the picture. Hence my default settting (under Options...Edit) is 'Insert/paste pictures... Inline with text. I am having a problem with one particular document today (and I have seen it occasionally in the past) when I use the above method but the image gets hidden behind the text above. If I open a new...

Can extra processing threads help in this case?
I have an application that uses enormous amounts of RAM in a very memory bandwidth intensive way. I recently upgraded my hardware to a machine with 600% faster RAM and 32-fold more L3 cache. This L3 cache is also twice as fast as the prior machines cache. When I benchmarked my application across the two machines, I gained an 800% improvement in wall clock time. The new machines CPU is only 11% faster than the prior machine. Both processes were tested on a single CPU. I am thinking that all of the above would tend to show that my process is very memory bandwidth intensive, and thus ...

Need Help on pivot table
i have created a pivot table having count's of data's in different range like below: 0-2 5 03-05 13 06-10 17 11-20 7 21-50 1 I want to calculate the percentage of the each data range and should dispaly in the chart. In EXCEL 2007 in the example that you have provided take the following actions:- In your Pivot Table click in one of the cells that have a value in it (for example select the cell bearing the number 5). Go into the Values part of the PivotTable Field List (you will find this in the lower right hand corner). Click in the downwards facing a...

please help-conversion 2000 to 98 subform error
Please help asap! We have an access database written in 2000 where forms and subforms work as they should. Unfortunately we found out that users are using Access 97 and project must be put out by midnight tonight. When we converted to 97, the individual forms will scroll correctly forward and back among the records, but when forms put together as subforms and try to change to next or previous record, it gives '! one month from today' error message. Any help or suggestions would be appreciated. Kathy ...

Modified Trasnpose
Hi, I have data stored in Table1 as such (Field names on row 1): Id - Type1 - Type2 123 - 0 - 50 456 - 10 - 100 789 - 50 - 0 And I would like to output it as such (Field names on row 1): Id - Type - Amount 123 - Type1 - 50 456 - Type1 - 10 456 - Type2 - 100 789 - Type1 - 50 I will have more the 20 Types in my actual table, so I can't just make compounded queries. Any help is appreciated, thanks! SELECT Id, "Type1" As Type, Type1 As Amount FROM MyTable UNION SELECT Id, "Type2", Type2 FROM MyTable UNION SELECT Id, "Type3", Type3 ...

Insertion point in selected text
Version: 2008 Operating System: Mac OS X 10.6 (Snow Leopard) Processor: Intel I had to reinstall Office 2008 and since then, Word is behaving differently when I try to click inside a portion of text that is selected. Instead of dismissing the selection and giving me an insertion point, the selection background briefly blinks and stays there, and a smart tag appears. I have to click outside the selected text and then put the insertion point where I want it.� <br><br>What is even more intriguing is if I happen to be tracking the changes, I can see that Word does something when I...

first time linking worksheets need some info and help
I'm trying to link 4 cells with dates in them to be inputted into the second sheet for calculation. BUT the info is in a cycle. So basically I need it to link and stay. But when I do the next cycle, I need the info to change. I do have a column that is counting the cycles. So can I make it so it'll link the info until the cycle number changes? (a Formula???) if so how do i put a link and formula together. Also if this is figured out,can you possibly link a cell to two different worksheets within a workbook? Thank You Bryan Bloom Hi, Can you give an example as to what you are...

Help my family get out of debt
Sometimes life can be rough and unforgiving. The debt I acquired, over the years, began with simply signing a year lease with a co-worker. I was new to the town, he seemed like an honest guy, so I believed it would be a good idea....Wrong. Within less than 3 months he descided to not pay his half of the rent, as agreed upon, and skip off to California leaving me with rent that was 2 times what I made. Eventually, I was evicted, and now I have a $15,000 ding on my credit report. Couple that with a new child and the costs that are accrued with a birth, and you're looking at a seemingly h...

Excel VBA #4
I'm very new to VBA and could use a little help. I wrote a macro that does the following: First Part: Unprotects the sheet; then does a file Save As to a specific folder and then goes to Cell P2. All is fine except the macro didn't record the password and I have to type it in everytime. So it's prompting me for the password everytime. During the file Save As operating, it says such & such file already exists, do you want to replace? The answer is always going to be YES. How do i make that happen? Second Part: Once Cell P2 is activated, I type in a code (number) for that...

Help with PTR Records
I'm confused as to how to have our ISP setup a PTR record for our Exchange 2000 server. Does the PTR record have to be the exact same name as the computer name of our Exchange server? For example, if our Exchange server's computer name is "exchange", making the FQDN exchange.domain.com, does the PTR record need to be "exchange.domain.com"? Now, assuming that I put an anti-virus/spam filtering appliance in front of our Exchange server, so that all outgoing e-mail goes through the appliance, does the PTR record need to be the name of the Exchange server or the ...

HELP Error: Trying to populate userform fields from access databas
Hi All, I have been struggling with this since long, I would appreciate if anyone can help me with getting this done. Basically I want to pull information from access database and populate my excel userform fields. For eg: If I input a Student Id field I want to populate the Name and Phone number for that student from access database, Here is the code that I have so far, But it gives me errors.. Please guide me through this Private Sub StudentId_AfterUpdate() Dim cnt As ADODB.Connection Dim rst As ADODB.Recordset Dim strSQL As String strSQL = "SELECT Name, Phone FROM...

Help with time formatting.Please!
Is there a way to set a time field default (in table) to Now() and have it round to the nearest hour? -- Pat "If you can find a path with no obstacles, it probably doesn't lead anywhere" On Sun, 24 Jun 2007 21:16:43 -0400, "Dupatt" <Dupatt@yahoo.com> wrote: >Is there a way to set a time field default (in table) to Now() and have it >round to the nearest hour? No, because those are incompatible tasks! Now() returns the time to the nearest second (actually a few microseconds), regardless of the formatting. Try setting the default (in the form, y...

Need some help in exchange 2000
Whenever I go into the Exchange 2000 system manager to check the queues status for the SMTP Virtual Server, it shows me what's going on. Now everytime I try to check the current sessions, it just remains blank, as if nothing is happening. Is this a working feature in exchange 2000 server or am I doing something wrong? ...

Please help! Multifile search...
First off, please forgive me if this is posted somewhere else. I looked but could not quite get anything to work for my issue. I have 2 .xls files. The first file is an order list, and contains the item name in colum c, and the quantity in column d. There are multiple listings of eac item in this file. EXAMPLE: Column C Columd D wireset 8 monitor 2 keyboard 1 wireset 4 CPU 1 What I meed to do is figure out how to do a search for "wireset" an get...

Help
I have a monthly process where I bring a range of cells into a spreadsheet (copy-paste) and I need the information to be numbers but it is created (out of my control) as text such as... '1.23 '1.24 '1.25 and so on for about a hundred rows It is really cumbersome to have to keep pressing F2 to edit, home to get to the ' and then delete and enter to remove the ' mark and convert the text to a number I used the Macro recorder (with relative value set) but it picks up the absolute value of the first cell and then when I run the macro it puts that value into each cell What I...

Form Help 08-27-07
I have this dictionary, which was made from two tables. The first table is Table 1 and has the field name [Letter] and the second table is Table2 and have the field names [letter] [word] and [definition]. I have made a relationship between the tables by joining the fieldname [letter] In my out put I would like to see all words per letter; however I am getting the opposite. All Letters and All Words, Conversely instead of 26 records for all the letters in the alphabet i have more records. How can this be solved Thanks LA -- Message posted via AccessMonster.com http://www.accessmonster.com/U...

Can anyone help me figure this out?
(There is a previous post on this, but no resolution, please reply for more information) Okay, here are the details and the exact data: A12 thru A17 = Income Source (text, user defined [examples would be Social Security, Pension, etc.]) B12 thru B17 = Amount Received (will be currency in $dddd.cc format) C12 thru C17 = Tax Deductible? (currenty have a drop-down list option, YES or NO) A18 = Subtotal (text) B18 = Subtotal (calculated sum of above columns) C18= [empty] A20 = Choose an Investor (text) B20 = Investor name (from drop down list) C20 = Mark up amount (i.e., 125%, would like...

need help sorting text by trailing Numbers Value
I am looking for some help sorting a text field (PartNumbers) alphabetically but correctly depending on the value of the ending few charachters if theyre numbers.. Here is some sample data an960pd10 an960pd300 an960pd6 i would like it sorted like this an960pd6 an960pd10 an960pd300 any ideas? Thanks Barry I looks like your values have a fixed length to the left of the numbers. If this is true, you can use the following in the Sorting and Grouping dialog expression: =Left([PartNumbers],7) =Val(Mid([PartNumbers],8)) -- Duane Hookom Microsoft Access MVP ...

HELP! How do I get a total for columns sorted by account number on a spread sheet
Ok, I am not sure how else to explain this. On a spread sheet I will be entering account numbers and a balance due on different spots in the sheet. On a 2nd spread sheet I need it to find the specific account number and add up the total that customer owes. Can I do a total by account number by formula or will I have to do seperate spreadsheets for each person? If you can't tell I am lost. Laurie, Try something like =SUMIF(Sheet1!A1:A100,"12345678",Sheet1!B1:B100) where Sheet1!A1:A100 is the account number range, "123456768" is the account number to check, Sheet1...

Some how I am unable to type / insert any letter or data in my of
My whole Microsoft program seems to be frozen. While I can access Word or Excel, bring up a work sheet or spreadsheet but I cannot type anything or insert any data. Each time I press a key I hear a bing sound and no letters or numbers appear. Though the cursor key is blinking. So whats the problem? What does the message in the status bar say? -- Suzanne S. Barnhill Microsoft MVP (Word) Words into Type Fairhope, Alabama USA http://word.mvps.org "mariner338" <mariner338@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:106032FE-9491-4B8F-A97E-7E138F944A7B@mi...