Help ! formatting data to text

I am creating data in an Excel spreadsheet.  I then want to get that data
into a simple text email.  I have some problems and questions...

1) how do I get the columns of data to line up evenly when I copy the data
to email text ?  Keep in mind I need to be in simple text format, not HTML
or rich text.

Every time I do this, all columns become chaos and are unreadable.

2) Is there a simple way to automate the creation of an email from an excel
file ?  this is less important to me.

Thanks in advance

WxMachine

excel 39879 articles. 2 followers. Follow

#1.  I think it may have to do with what email client you use, too.

I copy and paste from Excel to Netscape messenger (composing in plain text) and
each "cell" is still separated by a tab character.

If I do the same thing and paste into Outlook Express, the separator becomes a
space character (still composing in plain text).

When I really, really want the plain text email to line up nicely, I sometimes
use a helper column and build my string to copy and format it the way I want:

For example, if I want column A to be 20 characters, column B to be 10 and
column C to be formatted nicely as a number, I'd use this formula:

=LEFT(A1&REPT(" ",20),20) & LEFT(B1&REPT(" ",10),10) & TEXT(C1,"000,000.00")

(and format that column with a Courier New font--it'll be easier to check.

Then you could copy that helper column and paste into your email program.

Here's a link that discusses the same technique and has a macro that can
automate part of it.

http://google.com/groups?threadm=015b01c32c5f%24b3d398d0%24a501280a%40phx.gbl

#2:  If you use Outlook, you may want to look here for some help:

http://www.rondebruin.nl/sendmail.htm
http://www.dicks-clicks.com

The first is Ron de Bruin's; the second is Dick Kusleika's.

(If I recall correctly, Ron has some examples of Sendmail--which will use your
default email program.)

--

Dave Peterson
ec35720@msn.com

Thanks Dave.  This is a big help.  I will go over this when I get a block of
time and see if I can get it to work better.

If you set your Outlook mail format (assuming you are using Outlook) to Rich
Text, rather than Plain Text, you will find that when you paste a range in
from Excel the spacing will be retained.

Of course you may not wany to use Rich Text.

Regards

David

"WxMachine" <IamnotHuman@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> I am creating data in an Excel spreadsheet.  I then want to get that data
> into a simple text email.  I have some problems and questions...
>
> 1) how do I get the columns of data to line up evenly when I copy the data
> to email text ?  Keep in mind I need to be in simple text format, not HTML
> or rich text.
>
> Every time I do this, all columns become chaos and are unreadable.
>
> 2) Is there a simple way to automate the creation of an email from an
excel
> file ?  this is less important to me.
>
> Thanks in advance
>
> WxMachine

0
Ringwood (28)

Date format issue when submitting from a userform to a spreadsheet
Hi, I have a userform that I've generated which routes dates onto a spreadsheet based on the users input. I am having a bit of a frustrating time with the dates, it would appear that in the process of moving the date from the userform to the spreadsheet some dates are switched/transposed. I'll give an example. If someone enters 09/02/2004 on the userform excel seems to look at 09 and assume it is a month and transposes the dates to 02/09/2004(this does not appear to be a US/UK format issues as I have already gone down that road). However, if the date 13/09/2004 is entered i...

SQL in Excel data
Hi all, Is there a possibility/way to run an SQL query in an excel data sheet? I have quite some data like the sample below, now i would like to have the sum of spending for each person. Like it is possible in Access. A1 B1 Field1 Field2 Chuck 12,89 Mike 23,09 Jean 9,34 Chuck 30,00 Mike 3,80 Chuck 22,00 Mike 7,23 Jean 10,55 Jean 10,75 Jean 31,45 Chuck 19,99 Result Field1 SumOfField2 Chuck 84,88 Jean 62,09 Mike 34,12 Advice would be appriciated. Cheers, Ludovic Hi You could use a formula like this ...

How to get XML data out of an XML file

Custom cell formatting
I need to create a custom format for a series of cells that will begin like this. I can't figure out what the code character is fora volitile potentially alpha character. Can anyone help me?? -Monica, Dallas 000000 000001 000002 .... 000009 00000A 00000B 000010 000011 ...... Monica something like this might work for you but you'll need to put all the leading digits in for the entry with the alpha character Regards Trevor "MDavison" <davison@fr.com> wrote in message news:#SD0tUzTEHA.1652@TK2MSFTNGP09.phx.gbl... > I need to create a custom format for a series ...

Auto formatting features: How do I align page numbers in publicati
I've got a problem with my publication. I can't align even page numbers to the left without automatic moving the odd numbers to the left as well? Can someone help me? Cissy99 wrote: > I've got a problem with my publication. I can't align even page numbers to > the left without automatic moving the odd numbers to the left as well? Can > someone help me? You need to create a two-page master rather than a one-page master. What version of Publisher are you running? -- Ed Bennett - MVP Microsoft Publisher http://ed.mvps.org ...

Need help with formula 01-13-10

Formatting
I've always used MS Word as my email editor in Outlook. Is this possible in Live Mail. Nope. I'm afraid that's only possible using Outlook. In WLM you have to use the built in editor. Is there anything in particular that's lacking from the built in editor that you're looking for? Colin Brown WL MVP "jrchambe" <jrchambe@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:5EC21892-D39F-4219-AB0F-47BC14E1CD36@microsoft.com... > I've always used MS Word as my email editor in Outlook. Is this possible > in > Live Mail. "...

please help with this query

How refresh imported data automatically?
In Excel, I've imported data into a worksheet. I know I can click Data.. Refresh Data to requery the source, but I want to be able to do it in a more automated way. Is there some sort of macro I can write when opened or something? Thanks, Ron Ron, Select the cell the data starts in, select Data/Import External Data/Data Range Properties Check the box "Refresh on file open" and anything else that needs checking off... Other than that, you could record a new Macro that selects your cell, refreshes data, and assign the macro to a keystroke, or even an icon. Beege ...

Question About Missing Data
So, this is probably really easy, but I just want to ask and see if I may be missing something here. Some data on vendor numbers changed. Let’s say IBM used to have a vendor number 12345 and now it’s vendor number is 56789. I can identify IBM as IBM, but I really want to use the number, not the name. Should I set up a table that ties the numbers together, so that Access knows 12345 = 56789? Or, should I do some kind of Update Query and change all incidences of 12345 to be 56789? Or, is there some other, method, like a ‘best practices for missing data’? Thanks! Ryan--- ...

Outlook Data Files #4

Formatting Cells in Excel 97

format a CD
Hi, how can I format a cd+rw re writeable disc aga ...

Hyperlink File Help

Find what control is using a data item
I built a form, then deleted 2 columns from the source table and now I get a popup asking for the value of those 2 columns. The problem is, I don't use those columns so I need to find what on the form is refferencing the deleted columns. I have looked at the control drop down on the properties window and the tab order window and can't find a control with either one of the missing column names. How do I determine what is trying to refference the deleted columns? I found the problem, the column was still referenced in the underlying query that fed the form. "MeSteve"...