Help! Excel freeze the whole thing when start.

Excel problem in my office has been constantly bugging me. Now that
one of the computer can even start Excel, when we try to start it, it
gives something like "resource is not enough" message and then just
dies there. We can even fix it by removing it and reinstall it.  Any
one has idea deal with this? Many thanks in advance.

Pete
excel 39879 articles. 2 followers. Follow

Try cleaning up your windows temp folder.

And if that didn't help, try searching for your *.xlb file.  It's where excel
stores your customized toolbars.

Windows Start button|Find|files
check out the size of that file.  If it's huge, try renaming it (*.xlbOLD).  If
that helps, recreate your toolbar file and dump that old one.  If it doesn't
help, you could just rename it back to *.xlb.

(A few months ago, my *.xlb file went from over 450k to about 12k.  (but it
wasn't causing me problems.))

And Chip Pearson has some notes to help diagnose this kind of problem at:

--

Dave Peterson
ec35720@msn.com

Peter

On Mon, 15 Sep 2003 20:31:11 -0500, Dave Peterson <ec35720@msn.com>
wrote:

>Try cleaning up your windows temp folder.
>
>And if that didn't help, try searching for your *.xlb file.  It's where excel
>stores your customized toolbars.
>
>Windows Start button|Find|files
>check out the size of that file.  If it's huge, try renaming it (*.xlbOLD).  If
>that helps, recreate your toolbar file and dump that old one.  If it doesn't
>help, you could just rename it back to *.xlb.
>
>(A few months ago, my *.xlb file went from over 450k to about 12k.  (but it
>wasn't causing me problems.))
>
>And Chip Pearson has some notes to help diagnose this kind of problem at:
>http://www.cpearson.com/excel/StartupErrors.htm
>
>Peter wrote:
>>
>> Excel problem in my office has been constantly bugging me. Now that
>> one of the computer can even start Excel, when we try to start it, it
>> gives something like "resource is not enough" message and then just
>> dies there. We can even fix it by removing it and reinstall it.  Any
>> one has idea deal with this? Many thanks in advance.
>>
>> Pete

Excel 2003
Recently I started getting the following error msg "MS Office Excel has encountered a problem and needs to close..." after I close the spreadsheet and exit the application. Excel is version 11 Build 8134 and part of Office Professional 2003. Any help will be appreciated. Thx. ...

How can I mirror pages in an excel document for printing?
I have 300 pages in an excel document which need to be double sided and bound into a a publication. I need to mirror the pages so they have the same margin on both left and right depending where they fall in the document. Can anyone help please? Hi File / Page Setup / Margins......set left and tight margins to equal amounts. You might also try ticking the centering check boxes. HTH Michael "mirroring" wrote: > I have 300 pages in an excel document which need to be double sided and bound > into a a publication. I need to mirror the pages so they have the same > ma...

help about GetBitmapBits!
unsigned char *px = new unsigned char [bm.bmHeight*bm.bmWidthBytes]; bitmap->GetBitmapBits(bm.bmHeight*bm.bmWidthBytes,px); Please, tell me the color format of the px above. Thank you,anyway! "twing" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:000501c39f5c$a6d74800$a001280a@phx.gbl... > unsigned char *px = new unsigned char > [bm.bmHeight*bm.bmWidthBytes]; > bitmap->GetBitmapBits(bm.bmHeight*bm.bmWidthBytes,px); > > > Please, tell me the color format of the px above. It isn't possible to determine it from what you supplied. The ...

how to draw a curve from data in excel?
I would like to draw a curve from two series of data by using excel. Series of Price and Quantity. Thank for helping me Hi Dlamk See if the article at http://peltiertech.com/Excel/ChartsHowTo/index.html does what you want. Regards, Pedro J. > I would like to draw a curve from two series of data by using excel. Series > of Price and Quantity. > Thank for helping me See Drawing Supply and Demand curves in Excel http://www.tushar-mehta.com/excel/charts/supply_and_demand/index.htm Or, maybe, all you want to know is that you should put the quantity in the 1st column, the price in t...

Excel formula printing
I'm trying to balance two different worksheets. I want to print the formula from one cell in Worksheet A so I can check it against Worksheet B. When I follow all the directions it only prints 1/2 of the formula (it's a very long formula). Is there any way to get it all printed without doing a screen print? An idea: click on the formula bar, highlight the entire formula, and press CTRL-C to copy the formula into the clipboard. Then open MS Word and press CTRL-V to paste. This will allow you to print the entire formula. As an alternative, if the formulas are _very_ similar and...

animated cliparts in Excel
Dear All, I want to create a tool for my university project that works like a calculator for future cash flows - enter input data and you'll have results. I'd like to create also 'help option' - in case user doesn't know what to enter, they ask for help and find there an answer. And I was thinking about creating a 'helper' - something animated, that moves, smiles, etc. Exactly like default Excel help (e.g. this funny paper clip) but just created by myself. I have some animated cliparts, but once copy-paste them into Excel they are not animated ;-( Any idea ...

Answer YES to Dialog boxes in Excel macro
I have set up a macro that does a lot of sorting, subtotaling, text t columns etc. Each time I run the Macro the same dialog boxes pop u when I created the Macro using the recorder. The dialog boxes are 1- Do you want to replace columns of the distribution cell. (when I d text to columns) 2- The dialog box that pops up when one does a subtotal. Is there a way I can somehow disable dialog boxes in the VB code. Or i the start of the code write something that says Answer Yes to al dialog boxes that pop up? Or any other way so that I can run the macr and not have to sit there to answer yes to e...

Who is in a network shared Excel file
I retreived this code from a post and it works good as long as I am the one who has it opened originally, but if someone else opens the file first, I have a 'read only' copy and this code gives me an error. Is there a way to modify this so I can see who has the Excel file open? Sub UsersList() Dim users, msg As String users = Workbooks("Logistics Repair Time Log.xls").UserStatus For Row = 1 To UBound(users, 1) msg = msg & users(Row, 1) Next MsgBox msg, 64 End Sub -- Message posted via http://www.officekb.com That code works fine for me no matter who ...

Please Help Outlook error message Can't create file:
Outlook Proffesional 2003 Error message: Can't create file: GBXxA002.doc. Right-click the folder you want to create the file in, and then click Properties on the shortcut menu to check your permissions for the folder. I'm triying to open an attachement Please Help Thank you in advance Andy <Andy@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote: > Outlook Proffesional 2003 > Error message: > Can't create file: GBXxA002.doc. Right-click the folder you want to > create the file in, and then click Properties on the shortcut menu to > check your permissions for the folder. ...

Freeze Pane Lines
When I use the Freeze Pane function to freeze the columns in place when I scroll produces LINES where the rows and columns are frozen. The problem is that when I add a comment to one of the upper cells in the spread sheet the lines where the rows and columns show through and into the comments. Anybody have a suggestion on how to work around this? I know how to move the location of the comments when you right click on a cell and select "show comments". What I want to do is change the location of the comments that are displayed when you hold your cursor over the cell OR s...

Excel 2003
I have created a list called 'FullName' which will be added to with a macro. When using this list in a cell using Conditional formatting is it possible to have the dropdown list sorted in alpha order without having to put the original list through a manual sort or macro sort beforehand? Any advice would be appreciated Thanks BJ ...

Excel formula to increment the month by 2?
Dear friends, In an excel worksheet, in a cell I am having a day, say for example 03-May-2005 or 03-05-2005, In another cell I have to increment only the month by 2 i.e from 03-May-2005 to 03-July-2005 using a formula. What formula should I use? thanks, Thirumalairajan. maybe you can use the following formula: =day(a2)&"-"&(month(a2)+2)&"-"&year(a2) "thirumalairajan" <thirumalai@cspl.com> д����Ϣ����:%23hG1yYhLGHA.2904@TK2MSFTNGP10.phx.gbl... > Dear friends, > > In an excel worksheet, in a cell I am having a day, say for e...

Excel "forgetting" its add-ins
There is nothing more annoying than having to reinstall the stupid Solver or other add-ins (such as regression) after not using them for a while! I teach the same class every Spring and every late January or early February I need to check a homework problem on my laptop here and there. And every year, the same damn story, I have to insert some stupid disk, which I don't have with me on a trip. I specifically remember doing THE COMPLETE INSTALLATION of the stupid Office software on my machine precisely to avoid this problem, because this incredible annoyance and frustrat...

hide & unhide sheets in excel 2007
Hi.. i have a workbook with lots of sheets. I have a main sheet and other supporting sheets. I want to have a drop down list in the toolbar (only for this workbook) so that user can select which sheet he wants to view. By default only the main sheet should be visible and all others sheets should be hidden. When the user selects a particular sheet, that sheet & the main sheet would become visible. when the user moves out from the particular sheet, it should automatically become hidden. I want a link to all the sheets in the main sheet (icons which the user can click to reach a particular...

excel 2003 + macro help
Please tell me what i'm doing wrong, i want the entire excel document to close?? Call Application.OnTime(Now + TimeValue("00:00:15"), "ThisWorkbook.Auto_Close") Thanks. You have the solution at your other post. Neil Holden wrote: > > Please tell me what i'm doing wrong, i want the entire excel document to > close?? > > Call Application.OnTime(Now + TimeValue("00:00:15"), > "ThisWorkbook.Auto_Close") > > Thanks. -- Dave Peterson Don't know what the Auto_Close is about but this works......

Russian Mail Causing Outlook Freeze
Hi all Strange happenings with Outlook2003 and ExchangeServer2003. We have an office in Moscow from whom we receive regular emails. Occasionally they will send a message (not necessarily having attachments) which will cause the Outlook client to freeze. After closing and re-opening Outlook, the message can be read and behaves as normal. Anyone come across similar and know of remedy? Is it likely to be font related? TIA Phil On Wed, 17 Jan 2007 13:57:44 -0000, "TheScullster" <phil@dropthespam.com> wrote: >Hi all > >Strange happenings with Outlook2003 and Exch...

Help modify this code please
someone kindly helped me to generate the following code, however i nee it do a little extra to what it currently does. PRIVATE SUB WORKSHEET_SELECTIONCHANGE(BYVAL TARGET AS EXCEL.RANGE) IF TARGET.LOCKED = TRUE THEN ACTIVESHEET.PROTECT PASSWORD:=\"YOURPASSWORD\" IF TARGET.COLUMN = 1 AND TARGET.ROW <= 19 THEN ON ERROR GOTO DUMP ACTIVESHEET.UNPROTECT END IF END IF DUMP: IF ERR.NUMBER = 1004 THEN MSGBOX \"WRONG PASSWORD\" END IF END SUB i need the range to also include cells b12:b2 and d5:d9 and e1:e4 please help And -----------------------------...

HELP
Hi All. I have OL2002-SP3 and two IMAP4 account, my problem it this : I have account ACC1 as default account and account ACC2 as other one. They have separated .PST files : ACC1.PST and ACC2.PST (it seems impossible to have only 1 PST file for both) I have built a simple rule to save outgoing msg in the SentMsg folder for each account : The rules like : "After you sent a msg through account ACC1 copy the msg into ACC1->SentMsg folder" (the same for ACC2) well it works, BUT ONLY FOR THE ACCOUNT I'M USING AS DEFAULT, for the other one the rule does NOTHING (no copy, no e...

Content type of '', but expected 'text/xml'
Hi, I am getting this error all over our CRM. System.InvalidOperationException: Client found response content type of '', but expected 'text/xml'. Usually I reboot and it goes away. This time the reboot is not working properly.l Thanks for your help! ...

Error message when Excel 97 file is opened
How do you prevent an error message from showing up when an Excel 97 file is opened. The error message states: A document with the name (file name.xls) is already open. You cannot open two documents with the same name even if the documents are in different folders. duh Try the usual fix(es) for this problem. Tools>Options>General uncheck "Ignore other Applications" Exit Excel and try again If this doesn't work try to re-register Excel Close Excel first and On the Windows Taskbar 1) Start>Run "excel.exe /unregserver"(no quotes)>OK. 2) Start>Run &...

reading from excel into a webpage
I've been asked to create a webpage that reads certain cells from an excel spreadsheet. Is this possible? -- karambos ------------------------------------------------------------------------ karambos's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php?action=getinfo&userid=16262 View this thread: http://www.excelforum.com/showthread.php?threadid=392892 yes it is quite easy to do this via clientside vbs Public Sub CaptureExcelValues() Dim xlApp Dim wb Dim ws set xlApp = createobject("EXCEL.APPLICATION") set wb = xlApp.workbooks.open("c:\myspreadsheet.xls") s...

Newbie probs with Excel 2007
Hi to the forum, which I am visiting for the first time. I have done a fair bit of Excel programming over the years and was still using windows 98 and excel 2003 on a machine with only 1G Ram until recently when I upgraded my computer (quad core processor, 2 G Ram ) with Windows XP and Excel 2007 I have written a program that includes a map of australia as an xy graph , using lat and lon coordinates. I have about 70,000 data pairs to plot the map, but it was just impossibly slow, so I cut down the resolution by taking only every 8th point, but it is still hopelessly slow. It takes ages even...

Import records from Access to Excel
Hi, I would like to import 1 record from an Access Query into an Excel worksheet, ideally placing each field from the Query to a specific location on the Excel. This is for prepopulating forms in Excel from Access per record (in the end, when there are 10 records in the Access Query I would need 10 Excel files with the same form filled in). Off course this could almost be done using an Access report, but I need to stick to a fixed Excel template Thanks Mark, You can use ADO or DAO to navigate through your Access database. The copyasrecordset method is extremely useful in copying over...

How do you run regression in excel?
I'm trying to run regression in excel and just can't remember how to do it with it producing a graph. You can either - plot the data [use "XY (Scatter)", not "Line" chart] then Chart|Add Trendline (don't ignore the Options tab). - Tools|Data Analysis|Regression (requires the Analysis ToolPak add-in that was shipped with Excel, but may not have been installed). Jerry heatherm wrote: > I'm trying to run regression in excel and just can't remember how to do it > with it producing a graph. eg y=a+B+E where do i put this to get the regre...

Get External Data
I currently have the Student and Teacher edition of Office 2003. I occasionally need the capability to use the Get External Data, New Database Query. When I go to the option under Data it says it is not available. Is it available on this edition of Office 2003 or do I need to upgrade to another edition to get this function? Hi john you have to install MS Query for this. Sou you may insert your installation CD and add this feature (AFAIK should be available also for your version) -- Regards Frank Kabel Frankfurt, Germany John wrote: > I currently have the Student and Teacher edition ...