Having Formatting Remain on "Called" cell using IF function

I'm using an IF function to call some other cells, but I want to have
the various words color coded, eg ("Certified" is green, "Recertify" is
yellow, and "Not Certified" is red).  I have the IF function working
correctly, but when it "calls" the cell to have it display the
appropriate word, the color of each word is not brought along with
it...only the text.  Is there a way to be able to color code it so that
the appropriate color appears?  Thanks!

--
Zaraf
Zaraf's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php?action=getinfo&userid=36291

excel 39879 articles. 2 followers. Follow

Format>Conditional Formatting

Zaraf wrote:
> I'm using an IF function to call some other cells, but I want to have
> the various words color coded, eg ("Certified" is green, "Recertify" is
> yellow, and "Not Certified" is red).  I have the IF function working
> correctly, but when it "calls" the cell to have it display the
> appropriate word, the color of each word is not brought along with
> it...only the text.  Is there a way to be able to color code it so that
> the appropriate color appears?  Thanks!
>

> --
> Zaraf
> Zaraf's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php?action=getinfo&userid=36291
> View this thread: http://www.excelforum.com/showthread.php?threadid=570060

0
npursley (7)
8/9/2006 6:52:50 PM
Thank you!  That worked :)  Never even noticed that option there befor
:

--
Zara
Zaraf's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php?action=getinfo&userid=3629
View this thread: http://www.excelforum.com/showthread.php?threadid=57006

Where can I download a MS Office file called SKU011.CAB?
I have a 9 month old PC which came preloaded with MS Office 2003. I have used Excel previously with no problem. I have tried to open a document today and the program but Windows Installer appears and at the end of its routine tells me it cannot proceed as it cannot finf a file called 'SKU011.CAB'. Is it possible to download this to my PC from the MS server(s) or other location. I do not have the original disks from the PC supplier. ...

Socket Create fails when called in a secondary thread spawned in a
Hi, I have an application connected to a Dll. The Application and the Dll both have a thread each. The thread in the Application calls a function in the dll which in turn calls the Dlls thread function and tries to create a socket. Here this Socket create call fails. Both the Application and the Dll are statically linked to the MFC Library. II have call AfxSocketInit function in each initinstance of each thread and this does not have a problem. Can anyone help with this problem.... ...

Can a VBA UDF tell who called it?
Is there a way that a UDF can tell who called it? If it was called from a worksheet cell, I'd like to know the name of the workbook, name of the sheet, and the cell address. Function test() test = Application.Caller.Parent.Parent.Name & " " & Application.Caller.Parent.Name & " " & Application.Caller.Address End Function -- Kind regards, Niek Otten Microsoft MVP - Excel "Prof Wonmug" <wonmug@e.mcc> wrote in message news:tjhkk5hr1a0d8l485gitfume19lpthq325@4ax.com... > Is there a way that a UDF can tell who call...

I believe it would be called a rolling formula????
I have a complicated problem. I have a spread sheet that calculates employee points. The spreadsheet itself contains all the employee points ever earned. I need a way to only calculate the last six months. And then every time the months moves forward (from May to June) it will automatically calculate the last six months including June (ex. June back to January). The other points that were incluided from December on the spreadsheet need to stay there just not be calculated. Is there a way to do this and if there is how. Thank you -- Catherine Foster MBS-Aumsville Toll Free 800-682-14...

SaveBarState fails when it is called from a thread #5
Hi, In my application, I use SaveBarState() for persisting control bar state. The code fragment is something like this. void CMainFrame::OnSavePersistance() { SaveBarState(_T("My Persistence")); // Saves some information to an xml file } Since my xml saving takes some time I changed the code to execute in a thread UINT ThreadFn(LPVOID pParam) { CMainFrame* pThis = (CMainFrame*)pParam; pThis->SaveBarState(_T("My Persistence")); return 0; } void CMainFrame::OnCntrlbartst() { AfxBeginThread( ThreadFn, this ); } But, now in the thread function SaveBarState...

Why wouldn't a control event handler be called?
Hello to all, I am using Visual Studio .Net and I want to create a dialog-based appllication using C++. I have a Combo Box at the top of the dialog with 3 items in its drop down list. Each time the user selects an item a different layout of dialog controls will show. It is a sort of Tab Control but instead of having three tabs, in my case, I have the Combo Box to change between different layouts. I did this by creating 3 modeless dialogs in my form view. The problem is that I can't receive the control's event. For example, I have a check box called IDC_BTN_ENABLE. I added its ev...

OnReceive is not getting called?? #2
i wonder why my prg didnt attached +---------------------------------------------------------------- | Attachment filename: msocudp.zip |Download attachment: http://www.codecomments.com/attachment.php?postid=2875298 +---------------------------------------------------------------- - syn ----------------------------------------------------------------------- Posted via http://www.codecomments.co ----------------------------------------------------------------------- ...

SaveBarState() fails when it is called from a thread
Hi, In my application, I use SaveBarState() for persisting control bar state. The code fragment is something like this. void CMainFrame::OnSavePersistance() { SaveBarState(_T("My Persistence")); // Saves some information to an xml file } Since my xml saving takes some time I changed the code to execute in a thread UINT ThreadFn(LPVOID pParam) { CMainFrame* pThis = (CMainFrame*)pParam; pThis->SaveBarState(_T("My Persistence")); return 0; } void CMainFrame::OnCntrlbartst() { AfxBeginThread( ThreadFn, this ); } But, now in the thread function SaveBarState...

Dialog loosing focus when called from Tree Control
Hello All, In our application a dialog has to be invoke if user select any item from the tree control(CTreeCtrl Class variable ) The dialog is created properly as a parent of tree control dialog but its loosing focus , as per our requirement this dialog should be at the top of the window but tree control is coming at the top. Can anyone tell us where i am doing wrong. I have tried all calls like ShowWindow, killFocus from the tree control.. etc... but it didn't work. Regards Amit Let me see if got this correctly. 1. User selects an item from a tree control. 2. At that point you wan...

OnOpenRecentFile(...) called three times?
Hey, I have an MDI app that has MRU in a submenu in File menu. Now, I need to do some custom stuff whenever MRU file is selected from that menu. The annoying thing is that the framework(?) calls CMyApp::OnOpenRecentFile(UINT nID) a total of 3 times if there is a doc open! If not it calls it only once. Why might this be? I am sure that I don't explicitly call it myself. I have the following in CMyApp message map ON_COMMAND_EX_RANGE(ID_FILE_MRU_FILE1, ID_FILE_MRU_FILE16, OnOpenRecentFile) ON_UPDATE_COMMAND_UI(ID_FILE_MRU_FILE1, OnUpdateFileMruFile1) Markus. markus, I've absolute...

OnCancel not being called
I have a progress window which is based on Chris Maunder's CProgressWnd (which is based on CWnd). The CProgressWnd window contains a Cancel button with an associated OnCancel() function which closes the window and sets a member boolean "has_cancelled" flag. When I am processing some data I send progress messages to my main window which then calls a function in CProgressWindow to update its progress bar. The same function also checks the "has_cancelled" flag to see whether the user has clicked the Cancel button, and returns that as a boolean. The main window can theref...

A Mail list called "everyone"
Have migrated from 5.5 to Ex2003 on Win2003. The old set-up had a mail group called "everyone" which they could mail to. They can no-longer use the term "everyone" as a mail list. When they try and create a group by this name it says that it already exists. OK, now all object are held in AD, so I can see why it will not let you use "everyone" as a mail name since it is a group in Windows. But why can you not use it in outlook to send to all users? BR Don C Because it's a reserved name as you've discovered. Just create a new list called "All...

Flow of called methods in MFC
Hi all! Does someone know where I can find the sequence of methods that are called when I use this Microsoft's framework? Thanks in advance. Under what conditions? There are several thousand methods in MFC. For startup, it calls the virtual methods CWinApp::InitInstance, CWinApp::PumpMessage and CWinApp::ExitInstance. You can override these, but in practice you only want to override the InitInstance and ExitInstance. After that, you need to say a lot more about what you want to know. joe On Thu, 25 Sep 2008 09:19:57 -0700 (PDT), ScottBright762 <emersonespinola@gmail.com> ...

OninitDialog called once in a property page
Hi I have an application in which I have a property sheet and a few property pages on it. The property sheet is in Wizard mode. When the user clicks Next button on second last propertypage, I have to do some processing and display some results on the last page accordingly. I wrote this processing and displaying code in "OnInitDialog" function of last property page class. Now there is a problem, that OnInitDialog gets called only the first time. If the user click "Back" from the last page and then click next, then OnInitDialog does'nt get called for last property...

Public Function only called for details in first grouped header
I have 2 values in the detail section of my report that call a public function in a common module. It works fine for the first "set" of detail records within the first grouped header, but all subsequent header groups display #Error -- essentially the function was never called. Is this expected functionality (from Access, anyway)? thanks in advance, Patrick You should be able to use a public function from almost any control source. Can you share anything about the function or its arguments or return values or whatever? -- Duane Hookom Microsoft Access MVP "pheron@gmail...

socket OnReceive function not called
Hi, I`m trying to get a working socket example using MFC.... at the moment I`m not able to receive any kind of packets... That`s what I`m doing step by step: 1) installing a thread: m_pClientThread = (CUdpClientThread*)AfxBeginThread(RUNTIME_CLASS(CUdpClientThread), THREAD_PRIORITY_NORMAL, 0, CREATE_SUSPENDED); m_pClientThread->SetTarget(AfxGetApp()->m_pMainWnd); m_pClientThread->SetServerName(server); m_pClientThread->SetPort(portnumber); m_pClientThread->ResumeThread(); 2) init socket BOOL CUdpClientThread::InitInstance() { if(!CUdpSocketThread::Ini...

SIZE Window, Tile, Worksheet, Workbook, Whatever it's called.
Is it the tile, the window whatever you call it when you call it it's proper name it is my project. The part inside the main excel window is smaller than the main excel window and I can't maximize it. I can max and min the main window but not the tile. I thought it was a tile so I will, until corrected, call it the tile. The help menu says to either double click the title bar OR left click the box at the top right of the title bar. If I could make either of those happen I would not be writeing this. If I close the said project and open another excel file, new or completed, ...

SaveBarState fails when it is called from a thread
Hi, In my application, I use SaveBarState() for persisting control bar state. The code fragment is something like this. void CMainFrame::OnSavePersistance() { SaveBarState(_T("My Persistence")); // Saves some information to an xml file } Since my xml saving takes some time I changed the code to execute in a thread UINT ThreadFn(LPVOID pParam) { CMainFrame* pThis = (CMainFrame*)pParam; pThis->SaveBarState(_T("My Persistence")); return 0; } void CMainFrame::OnCntrlbartst() { AfxBeginThread( ThreadFn, this ); } But, now in the thread function SaveBarState...

OnPaint not getting Called on startup
Hi, I have derived a CStatic to make the background transparent in the OnPaint() method. I am in a SDI with a CFormView derived class. The problem I am having is that the OnPaint method is not getting called when the applicationis showing. I need to min/maximize the app to make the transparent CStatic work. What could have I done wrong? I have tried to call Invalidate on the control, UpdateWindow.. nothing works. Thanks for any help Simon Have you tried doing it in OnCtlColor instead? "Simon Guertin" <sguertin@AtTrelliaNetworks.com> wrote in message news:e6zmz$DLGH...

OnReceive is not getting called?? #3
Scott McPhillips [MVP] wrote: > OnReceive is a message handler, so it will only be called if your app > is > processing windows messages. If you have anything like a Sleep wait > or > infinite loop executing then no messages are processed and OnReceive > will not be called. I.e., it is not a callback, it is a message > handler. > > Is all of your socket code in the main thread? There are other > complications if you are using multiple threads. > > -- > Scott McPhillips [VC++ MVP] [/B] Dear Scott, thank you for your time. this is actually an examp...

What is the action called, when you lock headings
Or hold the column headings stationary while working way down on the sheet? I'll look it up in the help file myself, but don't see a description. It's called "Freeeze Panes" and can be found under Window>Freeze Panes. The rule is........... Rows above and columns left of the cell you select will be frozen. i.e. select B2 and Window>Freeze Panes. Row 1 and Column A will be frozen. Gord Dibben Excel MVP On Mon, 12 Dec 2005 13:22:08 -0800, "Stumpy" <perilmung@spamnet.con> wrote: >Or hold the column headings stationary while working way ...

SaveBarState fails when it is called from a thread #7
Hi, In my application, I use SaveBarState() for persisting control bar state. The code fragment is something like this. void CMainFrame::OnSavePersistance() { SaveBarState(_T("My Persistence")); // Saves some information to an xml file } Since my xml saving takes some time I changed the code to execute in a thread UINT ThreadFn(LPVOID pParam) { CMainFrame* pThis = (CMainFrame*)pParam; pThis->SaveBarState(_T("My Persistence")); return 0; } void CMainFrame::OnCntrlbartst() { AfxBeginThread( ThreadFn, this ); } But, now in the thread function SaveBarState...

Must CPropertyPage::SetModified be called manually on each change?
The documentation states that the implementor of a property page needs to call SetModified each time a change occurs on a page to track the dirty status and enable the Apply button. On a page with many edit fields, that would mean putting a handler in for each and every control. Is this really necessary? Is there no way the framework can track such a simple thing as whether a page is dirty or not? On 8 Feb 2006 06:23:51 -0800, "Erik J´┐Żlevik" <erikjalevik@gmail.com> wrote: >The documentation states that the implementor of a property page needs >to call SetModified each...

Calculated Field Gets Called For Every Occurance Of The Body
I am having a huge performance issue with report writer. Here are the details. I have a report writer report where there is a calculated field placed in one of the footers. The calculated field is special in that it uses a RW function (maybe that's not special but I thought I'd mention it anyway). My assumption was that the calculated field would get called once each time the report footer is printed. Instead the calculated field, and hence the RW function, additionally gets called once for each record in the body of the report. The value is correct, but why is it calling...

Is it possible to make a MFC dialog In-Proc when called from and ATL COM from VB?
Hi, I have an ATL COM object that contains a MFC Dialog. One method of my ATL must allow me to display the dialog in modal (DoModal). I use this ATL COM in my VB app. I want to call the ATL Method from my VB app to make the MFC dialog appear in modal. The problem is : The dialog appears, but is not in-proc. So I receive a message each time I click on the parent window (not a beep sound, but really a message). Is it possible at all to make my dialog appear in-proc or it is a limitation of the COM (or VB) usage? Someone talked to me about In-Proc server, but I really don't understand ...