Hard return in wraptext cell?

Is there a way to place a hard return(carriage return) in a cell with wrap
text format
so as to align text in the way user wants rather than what excel places?
Thanks
Mark

0
nospam2621 (61)
1/14/2008 10:35:44 PM
excel 39879 articles. 2 followers. Follow

Sure. Where you want a new line just press Alt+Enter. To remove that just
place the cursor at the end of the line before the new line and press Delete

Tyro

"MP" <NoSpam@Thanks.com> wrote in message
> Is there a way to place a hard return(carriage return) in a cell with wrap
> text format
> so as to align text in the way user wants rather than what excel places?
> Thanks
> Mark

0
Tyro (331)
1/14/2008 10:43:58 PM
In a formula, you can use CHAR(10) to insert a line break. E.g.,

="abc"&CHAR(10)&"cde"

If you are entering text directly into the cell, use ALT ENTER to insert a
line break.

--
Cordially,
Chip Pearson

"MP" <NoSpam@Thanks.com> wrote in message
> Is there a way to place a hard return(carriage return) in a cell with wrap
> text format
> so as to align text in the way user wants rather than what excel places?
> Thanks
> Mark

0
chip1 (1821)
1/14/2008 10:48:17 PM
Thank you both,

"Chip Pearson" <chip@cpearson.com> wrote in message
> In a formula, you can use CHAR(10) to insert a line break. E.g.,
>
> ="abc"&CHAR(10)&"cde"
>
> If you are entering text directly into the cell, use ALT ENTER to insert a
> line break.
>

> --
> Cordially,
> Chip Pearson
> Microsoft Most Valuable Professional
>    Excel Product Group, 1998 - 2008
> Pearson Software Consulting, LLC
> www.cpearson.com
> (email on web site)
>
> "MP" <NoSpam@Thanks.com> wrote in message
>> Is there a way to place a hard return(carriage return) in a cell with
>> wrap text format
>> so as to align text in the way user wants rather than what excel places?
>> Thanks
>> Mark

0
nospam2621 (61)

Avoid protected cell warning on BeforeDoubleClick WS event
I am creating an event scheduling worksheet. A grid is generated with days of the month x-axis and users y-axis. Where an event occurs this is logged by a hidden event ID in the appropriate day cell. In order to prevent this ID from being overwritten I protect the worksheet. What I am trying to do is have a worksheet DoubleClick event which either. 1) Captures the event ID in the underlying cell, and opens a custom form for editing the event, or 2) Recognises that no event exists and opens a custom form for logging a new event. What I have tried is to unprotect the workshee...

Click in cell w/ formula and get colors in referenced cells
Hi, When you click in a cell with a formula, Excel will then put color around the cells that are referenced. Somehow I turned that feature off. Now I do not get colors in th other cells. Where is that option to turn it back on???? I've looke and looked but I just can't find that option. Thanks for the help -- albea ----------------------------------------------------------------------- albean's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php?action=getinfo&userid=2875 View this thread: http://www.excelforum.com/showthread.php?threadid=48436 ...

Miscellaneous words appear in Excel 2002 cells
I am working on an Excell 2002 workbook and when I put my cursor in a cell , spurious words get entered into the cell e.g. "and thee the and ...." is one example. I have cable modem and it feels like "someone" has taken control of my PC - by the way I have also noticed this hapening in MS Word but is not as bad as Excel - can some one help. thanks KK Have you enabled speech tools? Click Tools / Speech and examine your options. /i. "KK" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:061d01c39d1c$36fc85f0$a601280a@phx.gbl... > I am w...

First row in Selection range (first index of a cell)
Hello, I have a problem with selecting first cel in selection Range or return an index of the first cell in Selection Cell. I have something like this: .................... Range1.Select "and here I want to Select the first range in selection Range1" ............. I there any special function of finding first cell in selection range or returning an index of the first cell?? Thanks for answet Marcin Maybe range1(1).select or range1.cells(1).select or range1.cells(1,1).select mar_male@wp.pl wrote: > > Hello, > I have a problem with selecting first cel in selection...

OWA returns HTTP/1.1 503 Service Unavailable
Outlook Web Access used to work fine, but now users are receiving the following message HTTP/1.1 503 Service Unavailable Users can access the OWA page, but after typing in credentials and clicking "Log On" the above error is returned. If the incorrect credentials are entered the "You could not be logged on to Outlook Web Access" message is received. This tells me I'm authenticating fine but whatever the next step is it is failing. There are no error messages in event viewer. Any recommendations of what to look at next? The OWA Exchange 2003 Server sits on a ...

Sum of a cell in all worksheets?
I usually just use the search here and quickly find what I need, but can't seem to get it work this morning I am trying to get a sum of a certain cell in all the sheets in workbook. For example of what I mean, Sum(all worksheets, d64). Ca someone possibly help me out Thanks Michae Hi Michael, Look up 3D in your Excel Help. Surely you do not want to include the same sheet. if sheet2 is your second sheet tab and "sheet 24" is the last tab. =SUM(sheet2:'sheet 24'!C14) --- HTH, David McRitchie, Microsoft MVP - Excel [site changed Nov. 2001] My Excel Pages: htt...

Insert a graphic in a cell
I'd like to be able to enbed a logo in a cell. Not possible. Graphic objects reside on the drawing layer "above" the cells. Cells can contain formulae or values only. Workaround. Insert your graphic, and size it so that it exactly covers the cell. Right-click it, choosing Format Picture. In the Properties tab of the Format Picture dialog, choose the Move and Size with cells radio button. In article <F253C07B-E71A-445E-B612-0189187A09D9@microsoft.com>, Pete_Escher fan <Pete_Escher fan@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote: > I'd like to be able to enbed a...

can one cell contain more than one independent number
A cell can contain several numbers, separated by space characters or line breaks (Alt+Enter). However, if you want to perform calculations on the numbers, it's best to keep them in separate cells. John K wrote: -- Debra Dalgleish Excel FAQ, Tips & Book List http://www.contextures.com/tiptech.html there's also the option a using matrix formula (list of data) for example you may enter ={1;2;3} in a single cell or selection 'and validate wih CTRL+SHIFT+ENTER but the manipulation of this kinda of formula need to read more about it... ...

Ignore Blank Cells
I update a workbook weekly in separate worksheets. My master worksheet links to the appropriate cells for the updated data. These are simple percentage numbers (not forumlas, etc.) and only need to be a one-on-one link. The problem I have is that if one of the cells is blank, it returns a 0 and I need to to stay blank. Any ideas? There are about 57,000 cells I am working with so I really don't want to have to update manually all blanks. Hi SEF, As long as you want to hide all zero values on a sheet you can use in excel 2003 From the Tools menu select Options On tab V...

Conditional formatting / blank cells
Hello, I need help with a Conditional Format. This is my worksheet. Row 4 A B C D E F G H I $200 $210 I want a conditional format in G4 that states if G4 is greater than or equal to F4 the fill colour is green. If G4 is less than F4, the fill colour is red. If G4 is blank, the fill colour is white. I've tried numerous combinations, but cannot seem to get this to work. Thanks torkattack. Test for the blank first. -- David Biddulph "torkattack" <torkattack@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote ...

Send Report to Hard Drive
Hi, I need your help. I create a report with picture and send it to HTML. I open the report like "report1.html" but I got the detailed information without a picture in it. I'm wondering .... Is there a possible way to send a report to become "report1.jpg"? I know if I send the report using Access Snapviewer and it works. Your help would be much appreciated. Thanks Everyone please note that Aaron Kem.pf is attempting to impersonate one of our regular posters again. HTH. Gunny See http://www.QBuilt.com for all your database needs. See http://www.Access.QBui...

Clipart will not scale with array of cells
I want to print out an array of cells, some of which contain clipart. When I try to scale up the array to fill the printed page, the clipart scales differently (the clipart objects move down on the page from their normal position within the cells). The artwork size does not change, nor its spacing; it's as though the clipart is reacting to a larger top margin. ...

formula for visible cells
Can I copy a worksheet so that the new worksheet looks exactly like the visible portion of the old worksheet. For example, if I filter and sort, I only want what is left visible to appear in my new worksheet, and I want it to do it automatically without my having to copy and paste. Automatic means VBA code. See Ron de Bruin's site for copying filtered results. http://www.rondebruin.nl/copy5.htm Gord Dibben MS Excel MVP On Tue, 4 May 2010 11:32:01 -0700, jpstormy <jpstormy@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote: >Can I copy a worksheet so that the new workshee...

How do I copy the wording of a cell into a tab?
I have a large workbook with the tab titles available to copy to save typing every single one, is it possible to populate the tabs by a form of copy-paste You want your sheet tab name to reflect the value of a particular cell within that sheet? You want to copy a sheet and rename the copy to the value of a cell within that sheet? Please explain in more detail. The lack of sentence structure makes it difficult to get a clear picture. Gord Dibben MS Excel MVP On Sun, 24 Jan 2010 11:18:01 -0800, Jamie <Jamie@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote: >I have a large wo...

Hold a cell range for an "average formula"
I add a column every week to my work sheet and want the formula to always calculate the current 5 column range. Wendy Akers wrote: > I add a column every week to my work sheet and want the formula to always > calculate the current 5 column range. > > Add a column WHERE? What "formula"? Where is the "current 5 column range"? Hi, Let's say your data is in range C3:H3. In cell K3, enter the following array formula (Ctrl+Shift+Enter) to get the average =AVERAGE(OFFSET(INDIRECT(ADDRESS(3,MAX(ISNUMBER(C3:J3)*COLUMN(C3:J3))+1)),0,...

Pivot Table VBA Reference Book & Blank Cells
Hi Everyone, I have a Pivot Table in Access 2003 and need the blank/null cells on the data axis to display "0". This is easy to do in Excel but I have searched through all of the options in Access and cannot find it. What is the VBA code required to set this option? Can anyone suggest a good reference book or website for coding Pivot Tables with VBA? Many thanks, David ...

count in cell
Does anybody know how I can count the number of characters in a cell, I know how to use the 'count' and 'counta' function to count the number of cells used but not in a cell. Thanks =LEN(A1) -- ---------------------------- Mauro Gamberini "Joe" <someone@microsoft.com> ha scritto nel messaggio news:%23sMRof72EHA.1404@TK2MSFTNGP11.phx.gbl... > Does anybody know how I can count the number of characters in a cell, I > know > > how to use the 'count' and 'counta' function to count the number of cells > > used but not in a c...

Auto copy and insert a defined number of rows as defined in a cell
Hi I don't know much about VBA but could probably work something out. I need to produce carton labels from a spreadsheet using Word to mail merge and the labels need to include 1 of 10, 2 of 10 on them. The number of labels required is dependant on a number which is included for each row of data in the spreadsheet. What I am doing at the moment is copying each row and insert pasting the additional number of rows required. In the new rows I then add 1 of 10 in the first row, 2 of 10 in the second row etc. etc. This then enables me to perform the mailmerge. I have around 300...

cannot see info in an excel worksheet over intranet until cell is hilighted
I and other people in my firm cannot see information on excel spreadsheets that are posted on our company intranet until they either hilight a cell or move the arrow keys. While this is by no means a show stopper, the slower members of our company can't seem to wrap thier heads around this issue. Any help would be appreciated. ...

Adding cells that already have formulas
i have a work book with formulas in cells, i need to add the results from the formulas in another cell. Why is something like =A3+B7 or =SUM(A3,B7) no appropriate? Jerry critter wrote: > i have a work book with formulas in cells, i need to add the results from the > formulas in another cell. Sorry i figured it out in my formulas i had "" so the new formula would not read the answers from the cells i had selected. "Jerry W. Lewis" wrote: > Why is something like > =A3+B7 > or > =SUM(A3,B7) > no appropriate? > > Jerry > &g...

How to store length in cell in British format (like INCHES)
Hi How I store 4'5'' (4 foot and 5 inches) in a cell and use it i callculations. Thanks Parminde -- Panka ----------------------------------------------------------------------- Pankaj's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php?action=getinfo&userid=3024 View this thread: http://www.excelforum.com/showthread.php?threadid=49913 Your best method is to use a format like 4 5/12 with custom format # ??/12 BTW this is not longer British (UK is metric) but American -- Bernard V Liengme www.stfx.ca/people/bliengme remove caps from email "Pankaj" <Pank...

Is a function or a number behind a cell?
Lets say that in column A there are several typed in numbers (2, 5, 8 ect) and some functions that result in a number. By looking at this sheet you cannot tell wether there is a typed in number of function behind a cell. Is there a function that i can put in column B that can tell you weather a the cell right next to it in column A is a typed in number of a function? thank you, bay Create a UDF Function IsFormula(rng As Range) If rng.Count > 1 Then IsFormula = CVErr(xlErrRef) Else IsFormula = rng.HasFormula End If End Function and use that -- HTH Bo...

Turn a series of numbers in a cell into specific ranges
I will have on going spreadsheets that will have one column of comma delimited numbers.- the cell could contain anywhere from 15 - 150 numbers. What the desired result would be - in a new column is to turn that series of numbers into ranges or groupings for instance in my cell if I had 1,2,3,4,5,6,7,8,12,13,14,15,17,18,19,20,21 my new column would contain 1-8,12-15,17-21 Each spreadsheet might have 15-20 rows - possibly more so a macro or formula that would do this would be ideal - I'm honestly jsut stuck on what to search on to find my answer... This UDF seemed to work ok for ...

sorting, borders going with cell content
Hi all, When I sort a column the order of cells will be rearranged, see this code: Worksheets("TRY").Columns("A:C").Sort Key1:=Range("C1"), Order1:=xlAscending, Header:=xlGuess, OrderCustom:=1, MatchCase:=False, Orientation:=xlTopToBottom ', _ 'DataOption1:=xlSortNormal. All cell details will go to the new place of the cell, like value, text color, italic, bold etc. and even fill color, but not the cell borders. I really need code to sort with which also the cell borders will change place, I mean the...

How can I delete an infinite number of garbage cells to the right
I highlighted many entire rows with color. Now my excel wants to print 115 pages. I can define a narrow print area, but I really want to delete the garbage color cells to the right. When I drag to the right, there seems to be an infinite number of cells. hi don't drag. place your curser in the first row and column that you want to delete left. hold the shift key down with left hand and with right hand, hit end then the down arrrow. hit the end key again then the left arrow. excel will select all cells from row 1 to bottom and from curser position in row 1 to far left. ...