Grouping / Ungrouping

I have spent some time grouping rows on a large spreadsheet. Its quite
big and complicated now and there are 5 levels of grouping. What I
basically want to do is to remove the first layer of grouping so that
the second layer becomes the first. Make sense?

The first layer has 4 headings, when I open up the second layer there
is about 25, then the third its about 100 etc. I don't want to have to
undo all the levels of detail that I've creted, but whenever I use the
ungroup command on the higher level it just undoes everything.

Can anyone help?

Thanks.

--
bluebadger
bluebadger's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php?action=getinfo&userid=33896

excel 39879 articles. 2 followers. Follow

This can be done a couple of ways.

Play with this on a *copy* of your data:

Compress all the outlines (groups) until you only have your summary rows
displayed (only pluses visible).

Select *all* the summary rows, then:

<Shift> <Alt> <LeftArrow>

Expand everything and you should find that all your primary groupings have
been eliminated.

On a group by group basis, expand a group to the max and select all the rows
in that group.
Hold down <Shift> <Alt>,
And you'll find that each hit of the <LeftArrow> will remove the highest,
existing group.

To eliminate the lower groups, select just their rows and <Shift> <Alt>
<LeftArrow>.

Of course ... the opposite also works.

Select a range of rows (or columns), and hit
<Shift> <Alt> <RightArrow>
To *create* a group.

--

HTH,

RD

"bluebadger" <bluebadger.26wz3m_1146126300.6362@excelforum-nospam.com> wrote
in message news:bluebadger.26wz3m_1146126300.6362@excelforum-nospam.com...

I have spent some time grouping rows on a large spreadsheet. Its quite
big and complicated now and there are 5 levels of grouping. What I
basically want to do is to remove the first layer of grouping so that
the second layer becomes the first. Make sense?

The first layer has 4 headings, when I open up the second layer there
is about 25, then the third its about 100 etc. I don't want to have to
undo all the levels of detail that I've creted, but whenever I use the
ungroup command on the higher level it just undoes everything.

Can anyone help?

Thanks.

--
bluebadger
bluebadger's Profile:
http://www.excelforum.com/member.php?action=getinfo&userid=33896
View this thread: http://www.excelforum.com/showthread.php?threadid=536721

0
ragdyer1 (4060)

Function for UserName Group
Function for UserName Group Hello, Using Access =9203 on XP system=85 I know there are a few functions out there that will pull the windows username=85 I=92m looking for one that will also return the group (set by the sys administrator) to which the username is assigned=97should the username be assigned to a group. One of the functions that returns the username, utilizes (I believe) the mpr.dll=85maybe there=92s one for the group name (just a thought)? Thanks for any help, alex What type of group information are you referring to? From your original post, I believe you...

How Do I Resize an Option Group so It Displays Horizontally?
Hello, I'm using Access 2003 and am relatively new to it. In a form, I've created an option group with 15 check boxes. The group is vertical, which I don't want. I'd prefer, if possible, for the group to be horizontal. Actually, I'd really prefer three rows with five options each. Is it possible to resize the option group, or configure it in such a way that it spreads out horizontally on the form, rather than vertically? When I try to resize it in design mode, nothing happens. Thank you! T. Hulot Yes it is quite easy to do it in design mode in the form. Select th...

Group Emails #4
I want to send an email to a group without recipients seeing the email addresses of the members of the group. I am using Microsoft Outlook 2000. Is this possible and how would I do it? Thanks. "Sophie" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:05be01c424b4$512f15d0$a501280a@phx.gbl... > I want to send an email to a group without recipients > seeing the email addresses of the members of the group. I > am using Microsoft Outlook 2000. Is this possible and how > would I do it? Thanks. "Sophie" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft...

Export or Print multiple reports from one Access Report by Group
I have a sales report that is grouped by Salesperson. Each salesperson has multiple pages of the report and I need to either print it or export it to PDF as individual reports for each salesperson. Is there a way to export/print the report into seperate reports for each Salesperson? Thanks. I am pretty new to Access, but I have figured out how to get the report in the structure I want it. I just can't get the information out of the program in the format. I can print as one PDF document and then go and cut that up in Adobe, but I wanted to see if Access could do it for me and save ...

Usenet group for Win 7
I am about to make the jump to Win 7 and cannot find a usenet group called microsoft.public.windows7.general or a similar one to this XP usenet among the MS or Google groups. I presume there is one by now so can someone please help with the address Note I did find http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/default.aspx#tab=2 but that is a typical modern MS site and assumes that everyone has broadband so it takes a week to open. I live in Papua New Guinea where on a good day TelikomPNG will provide an 11kb connection (and we don't get many good days). (note: ASSUME is an ...

Help: Creating a Variance column within a Column Group
Good Evening All, Using SSRS 2008 and Report Builder=85 I have a recordset of financial transaction over the last two years (2010, 2009) that I am presenting in a tablix. The tablix has a =93row group=94 where I am grouping on product type, and a =93column group=94 that I am grouping on year(transaction date). So when I expand the report, the resulting report looks something like this: Product +2010 +2009 Item 1 $10000 $8000 Item 2 $5000 $4000 Item 3 $30000 $25000 So now what I need is to do a variance between the two years, but for the life of me I can=92t figu...

Sum a value in a group header
Hi guys I have a report using a query which gives me duplicate rows in the details section (well almost duplicate - they are duplicate except for one field. For example, I have a table of incidents with an Amount field but there may be many people attached to that incident. When I retrieve all data around that incident including the people attached I get one row for each person attached to the incident. All data is duplicate except for the persons name. So what I did was group by the incident number and put the data in the group header, which worked fine. I hide the detail and only see o...

Dynamic group boxes
Does anybody know how to create group boxes dynamically (at run time)? I can only do it then because I read in a format file that tells where to put the group boxes. This allows the group boxes positions to be changed without having to recompile the code. Thanks. "time4u2go" <time4u2go@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:27D8CCF2-C31D-4167-8F51-1C5C3856DB05@microsoft.com... > Does anybody know how to create group boxes dynamically (at run time)? I can > only do it then because I read in a format file that tells where to put the > group boxes. This...

Loop by Group Within Group
Can you show me how to convert sheet A to sheet B format? In sheet B, I want to give a space for every Sales Person and do not repeat their id / names. I also will need to give a space for each region within each sales person. I appreciate your help. sheet A Sales Person ID Sales Person Name customer type region 1100813 John a1 1 1100813 John a2 1 1100813 John a3 1 1100813 John a4 1 1100813 John a5 1 1100813 John b1 2 1100813 John b2 2 1100813 John b3 2 1100813 John c1 3 1100813 John c2 3 1100813 John d1 4 1100813 John d2 4 1100813 John d3 4 1100813 John d...

Title in Content Control disappears when grouping?
Hi, If I GROUP a portion of my document where there is a CONTENT CONTROL, its TITLE is not visible anymore. Why? I would like to avoid the user changing parts of my document, but still giving him the best clues where and what to type. thanks, Lauro When I looked at this a. I saw the same as you; b. I did not find a workaround. Non-response suggests none of the regular responders who are around knows either. > Why? You'd have to ask Microsoft (most if not all of the people here are volunteers, not their employees). It looks as if...

Hope this goes to group
Setup in windows live mail, using news.eternal-september.org looks good on old server. (and on traditional news.myispname.com server) -- Charlie. http://msmvps.com/blogs/russel "Kue2" <Kue2@hotmail.com> wrote in message news:i0ftr0$ff$1@news.eternal-september.org... > Setup in windows live mail, using news.eternal-september.org I posted 4 hours ago via aioe.org and so far my post didn't show up. :( Carlos "Charlie Russel - MVP" wrote: > looks good on old server. (and on traditional news.myispname.com server) > > -- ...

Expand/Contract grouped columns in protected sheet
I�m trying to protect a sheet that has a pivottable with groupe columns. The problem is , after protecting the sheet , I can�t expand/contrac the table. I get an error saying that I can�t use that command because it�s protected sheet. Is there anyway around this? I.E. How can I protect a sheet, and stil expand/contract a pivottabl -- Message posted from http://www.ExcelForum.com Hi depending on your Excel version you can allow editing object and grouping/ungrouping in the Protection dialog -- Regards Frank Kabel Frankfurt, Germany > I�m trying to protect a sheet that has a pivottabl...

Money 2005: Rename Category Group.
Hi .... Can I rename (MS Money 2005 Us version) the Category Gruops (no Categories or Subcategories). If yes how can i do it??? I'm an italian user and i want translate the name of category Groups. Thank you. Bye. Paolo B. Italy Category groups cannot be changed in any way sorry. -- Glyn Simpson, Microsoft MVP - Money http://money.mvps.org Check http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=fh;EN-GB;mny for UK tips and fixes for MS Money. To send Microsoft your wishes or suggestions, use http://register.microsoft.com/mswish/suggestion.asp or http://www.microsoft.com/uk/support/m...

dividing sales reps into logical groups
The company I am currently implementing CRM is not such a big company that has many sales representatives assigned to a city or a localized place, but the sales representatives have been divided into logical groups which a person has his/her own customer. In this scenario can I use territories to categorize sales reps ? what else do you suggest ? regards, Territories is the normal way to do this, as this also shows up in reporting. Alternatively, using teams can be more flexible, but you'd have to customise and sales reports -- David Jennaway - Microsoft Dynamics CRM MVP Web: ht...

PIVOT
Hi experts, I want to enable users with few knowledge of pivot techniques to change the grouping of a pivot chart resp. the underlying pivot table. The idea is, to have a changeable cell value beneath the chart to enter the group (groups of 2, 4, 6, 5, etc...). The associated pivot table shall change it's groupings accordingly, thus forces to change the associated chart. Any idea, how to achieve this? Thanks and have a nice day Michael Hi, What kind of groupings are we talking about when we say 2, 4, 6, 5? What is being grouped and how? What fields, row fields, more than one row fie...

Totals in Report Footer to be printed on same page as last group
I'm sure this is a simple question with a simple answer, but can't think why I can't see a previous response to this. I have a report, it has a report header,page header, grouping header, detail, group footer, page footer, report footer. There is a force new page after group footer so each group is on a separate page. At the end of the last group, I would also like to include the report footer total. Is this possible? Thanks Wendy ...

Can't see Groups in Global Address List
I have created a group on the exchange server using the following method AD Users and Group Action, New, Grou Named the Group Managers, Group Scope: Global, Group Type: Distributio Finis My expectation is that I would now see the Manager Group in the Global Address List in Outlook. That is not the case. I can only see it if I select "Groups" on the "All Address Lists". How do I get that Manager Group to show up in the GAL in Outlook? Thanks - "Zanshin" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote: >I have created a group on the exchange server using ...

gwmi and powershell to get group of computers serial numbers
I'm trying to write a simple script to get the serial number of a bunch of machines. I'm new to writing scripts. Here is what I was trying to do: $server = Import-Csv C:\Tools\machines.csv $server | ForEach-Object { $serial = (gwmi win32_Computersystemproduct -computer $server | select identifyingnumber) Write-Host $server Write-Host $serial.identifyingnumber } the machines.csv is a csv file with one machine per line. It doesn't appear to be working though. Any suggestions? > $server = Import-Csv C:\Tools\machines.csv > $server | ForEach-Object { >...

Copy & Paste Group Outline without Detail
Hi all! I have a very long list of data that is Grouped in about 54 groups. I would like to copy and paste the group header information without th detail, any ideas? Cheers, Phi -- Message posted from http://www.ExcelForum.com Hi try the following: - collapes the data range - select the range - hit F5, click 'Special' - choose 'Only visible cells' - copy the data - paste the data -- Regards Frank Kabel Frankfurt, Germany "teknovision >" <<teknovision.16m4qf@excelforum-nospam.com> schrieb im Newsbeitrag news:teknovision.16m4qf@excelforum-nospam.co...

Outlook 2003 Group by Field space
How do I remove the extra line spacing in Outlook 2003 when using the "Group by Field" option? ...

"File Group Is Full" help!!
I get the following error when I log onto POS. " Error #-2147217900. Could not allocate space for object 'Journal' in database because the "Primary" file group is full" My server has 90Gigs of free space. I set up my database to grow automatically. What do i do? Thanks What version of SQL are you using, MSDE, SQL 2005, etc.? "Tony" <sales@windovers.com> wrote in message news:8BCDDCC7-C24C-421C-BF57-3B217088D913@microsoft.com... >I get the following error when I log onto POS. " Error #-2147217900. Could > not allocate space for objec...

Groups not working...
This is a multi-part message in MIME format. ------=_NextPart_000_0008_01C44D37.285CD8D0 Content-Type: text/plain; charset="iso-8859-1" Content-Transfer-Encoding: quoted-printable We had an Exchange 2000 server and had a major screw up with it that = caused it to cease to exist. We went back to our linux server in the = meantime. Now we are back using Exchange 2003 and only a couple people = are on it as of right now because I want to ensure everything is working = correctly before moving everyone to it.=20 I have found that the groups that various departments are members of in =...

Express - large group creation
Outlook Express - groups How can I add a large number of addresses (from an excel spreadsheet) to a group in my addressbook without having to add them one at a time? Cheers, Sean ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ Sean Kerslake Dept. Design & Technology Loughborough University Loughborough LE11 1RN This newsgroup is for support of Outlook 97, 98, 2000, 2002 & 2003 from the Office family for Intel PCs. For Outlook Express (OE) support try posting in one of these newsgroups: microsoft.public.inetexplorer.ie4.outlookexpress for OE 4.x microsoft.public.windows.inetexplorer.ie5.outlo...

Find DL's with nested groups
We will be moving to a new org and the admt tool does not do nested groups very well. I have a file containing all my mail enabled groups. Are there any scripts/tools that will give only the groups that have nested groups and the nested group names. ...

Adding a group into a database in SQL Server 2005 (Building a cube)
All, I?m in the process of setting up cube services for the Project server and as part of the set up, I have to add the group: SQLServer2005MSOLAPUse$<SERVERNAME>$MSSQLSERVER to the Analysis Services Repository (database). I see the group in my Active Directory but I am unable to find the group when selecting to add new Users from within SQL server 2005. The only Object type that I can search for is ?Logins?. Please let me know if you have any suggestions. Thank you all Sincerely, Submitted via EggHeadCafe - Software Developer Portal of Choice Yet Another Service Wrapper: ...