group data according to month/year

hi,

i have two columns of data. one column has date in that and the other has
value in it. I like to group them according to month/year and find the
subtotal of each month in one year. I like to accomplish it without using
pivot table. is that possible?

Mosaddeq

0
mosaddeq1 (4)
2/5/2009 7:24:25 PM
excel 39879 articles. 2 followers. Follow

You could add a helper column with a formula like:
=text(a2,"yyyymm")
and then sort your data by this column.

Then apply subtotals to the range using that helper column as the key.

--

Dave Peterson
0

Search an Excel file for Data...How?
Hello and Good day, Simple question...is there a way to search all the cells inside ever worksheet of an Excel File? For instance: I have an excel file that contains phone numbers and there are SEPERAT worksheets that contain all the numbers of a particular category suc as Family, Friends etc.. How can I, from any of the worksheets within the Excel File, search fo a specific name? I know how to do a search on a worksheet when it is the one open an displayed (Macintosh: Command (Open Apple) F) but want to search ENTIR FILE from one page. Please hel -- Message posted from http://www.Excel...

Pivot Table Data Source
Where in 2007 can I change the data source for a pivot table to look at the first pivot table I created (instead of looking directly at the raw data sheet)? ...

To Break Y-Axis for multiple data series
Hi, I have a lot of data in which sometimes data varies too much that some bars raise up to 1000s and some remain within 100s. now, to overcome this problem I used Peltier Tech’s solution (http://peltiertech.com/Excel/Charts/BrokenYAxis.html) to break the y-axis which works fine when I used that for single data series. Now the problem is my data spans through 8 categories and 12 Months. My data looks something like this: Customers Jan Feb Mar Apr May June AAA 25 29 12 25 29 12 BBB 26 69 23 26 69 23 CCC 12 23 32 12 23 32 DDD 29 24 70 29 24 70 EEE 19 12 12 19 12 12 FF...

Creating a field to search and enter non duplicate data
Hello all. I have a team of 15 pople that all work with reference numbers, on occasion a number has to be sent to a different work group. I've created a spreadsheet for them to enter the numbers into, but we have been duplicating numbers. I want to create a field to enter th number into, have the field cross reference the exsting numbers, and if it does not find a match, enter the number and sort the list. I know how to create a custom macro that will accomplish what I want to do, but I'd prefer a static formula if it's possible. A formula can not do waht y...

Pulling data out of a large database
I am trying to build a file to pull information from a larger database and put it into summary file. I would like to be able to use criteria like >15 months and % range <100 to pull information about products from a larger database. A single row of data would have multiple columns. I need to be able to pull the entire row of data, that corresponds to the criteria, to the summary sheet. I hope this makes sense. Thanks Dave, You need to make an ODBC connection to the database and use MSQuery to query the data. Click on Data, Import External Data, New Database Query. In the...

Known Issue Data Migration Wizard for Microsoft
Hi all hoping someone can clarify the following: "Known Issues with the Data Migration Wizard for Microsoft Outlook with Business Contact Manager" point that sticks out in the documentation and in my long hours of reading online namely: "The link between activities and parent accounts and contacts is not preserved during migration. If you have accounts or contacts in Microsoft Outlook with Business Contact Manager that have activities, such as tasks or appointments, associated with them, when you migrate the data to Microsoft CRM, the activities are not associated wit...

Excel Charts need to have a funtion where you can Stack and Group
The chart function does not allow to have both stacking and group of data. For example, we want to have 5 Scenarios, each with a !2month Impact, 24month IMpact and a 36month impact, and then have each of these impacts be broken out between Direct and Indirect. Therefore, the Direct & Indirect portions would be stacked upon each other for each time period. then the columns for the 3 time periods would be placed directly next to each other in a group by scenario. THe Scenarios would then all lie next to each other, with a bit of space to show they are different scenarios --------...

Best way to view demographic data?
I've just received a spreadsheet with 3 columns and about 150 rows. The data includes Gender, Age & Marital Status, which really is a lot of info. Is there an easy (or not easy) way to view the data in relevant terms? For example, how many males / females between the age of 35 - 45 are single, or divorced, or widowed, etc... I can think of at least a 1/2 dozen ways I'd like to view the data. Certainly there's a better way than sorting it each time for a different view? Thanks, David... Seems to me, this is the perfect reason to use charts. ******************* ~A...

Problem with data sheet and linking it to another sheet to make a report
This is kind of hard to explain, but I will try. I'm making a report in excel by linking the report sheet to another sheet that has the data. What I am doing is entering the equal sign, and then clicking on the data in sheet 2 and put them under the labels I have on sheet 1 (the report). So here are the steps so far: 1. I open excel and design a report with lables and field names, now i just need the data for the report 2. I insert a new sheet that has the data. 3. I go back to the first sheet (report) and put an equal sign into one of the fields where I want the data to appear in my r...

In ms Outlook 2007 there is no Clipboard Group
I wish to do multiple pastes in Outlook with an open message yet there is no clipboard group to set that up. What can I do? Where are you looking? When composing a message, it is the first group on the Messages tab. -- Robert Sparnaaij [MVP-Outlook] Coauthor, Configuring Microsoft Outlook 2003 http://www.howto-outlook.com/ Outlook FAQ, HowTo, Downloads, Add-Ins and more http://www.msoutlook.info/ Real World Questions, Real World Answers ----- "pogostick" <pogostick@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:A6CFEBEF-8C1B-4539-8A96-553F5DA5D210@mi...

drop down data into Access
I have an excel template that uses drop downs. I want to import that data to Access, but when I import the table, the drop down values are blank. Is there a solution? -- Thanks for your help! If the dropdowns are combo boxes, you could link them to cells in the table. Then, when you import the table, it will include the data that was selected in the combo boxes. Or, instead of combo boxes, you could use data validation lists. There are instructions here: http://www.contextures.com/xlDataVal01.html BAZ wrote: > I have an excel template that uses drop downs. I want to import t...

migrating fogbugz data to crm
Has anybody done, or heard of, a migration of Fogbugz (5.0) data to MS CRM support queues (MSCRM 3)? Thanx, -Tony I have watched these groups since they were created all the way back in 2003 and have never heard mention of anyone wanting to migrate from fogbugz to crm. I am assuming you have done enough research to show that CRM can take over the functions you used fogbugz for. ============================== John O'Donnell Microsoft CRM MVP http://www.crowecrm.com "Anthony J. Biacco" <thelittleprince@asteroid-b612.org> wrote in message news:1178640629.527632.29...

How to make a chart with a big range of data?
Hi I'm trying to make a chart selecting the whole column as data to plot on the chart. But it doesn't work .. I have many rows with data (about 250) and it's going to be more .. How do I make this chart only once, without having to extend the chart source every time I add more data? Thanks a lot. Kroko I have just asked a very similar question, I will monitor your answers also. bobf >-----Original Message----- >Hi >I'm trying to make a chart selecting the whole column as >data to plot on the chart. But it doesn't work .. I have >many rows with data...

excel data based on a OLAP cube
Using Office Web components to display the contents of an OLAP cube there is a facility to extract the view as an Excel snapshot offline. When doing this the option is available to Disable or Enable updates. Despite selecting disable, whenever any dimnesion within the excel snapshot is changed the entire selection of data is refresh from the cube. Is it possible to stop the data being refeshed ...

moving the Exchange 2003 data to another server
I need to move the Exchange 2003 database off of our SAN temporarily (the mailbox stores). I know connecting the Exchange 2003 to a NAS would be hassle so I like to do it as simple as possible. Can I set up another server with a different name and restore the backup to that server? Thanks. Sure, here's a good link below. There are three methods for moving Exchange databases to different storage groups or servers: =B7 Restore an Exchange-aware online streaming backup of the database, redirecting the restore location to a different server For this method to work, the new server ...

Data Validation continued
Frank Please comment on my reply to my earlier posting. Older posts move so fast down the list that I thought you might not notice it. On my computer the posting is here news:4019d6ad.0@news1.mweb.co.za but you could also search for my name Laurence Lombard Hi Laurence sorry I didn't see your reply. Bute to answer your questions: > 1. Why do you use the Offset/Match statement instead of Vlookup - the latter > works as well and is simpler to understand. Both work, but VLOOKUP required that you search the left column; MATCH/OFFSET is more flexible. But in this case just a matter ...

Find a Item & Copy the Data
Can someone please help me? I've got a huge SAP generated Parts List from overseas which I need to find a unique number in column A. (Sheet1) There are 10 columns and in excess of 55,000 rows This SAP Text number is comprised of 18 fixed digits (eg: 000000065202255411). However the number itself is variable with leading zero's (eg: 000000000063060003), and anything in between if you follow my drift. My problem is I need to verify each customer's price and purchase cost from this data sheet. I've managed to automate most of the process but I can't return the...

Excel graphs not updating when source data is changed
Good day, I have observed an interesting problem with Excel 2003, in that the excel charts (any type) do not update when the source data is changed when one has a large excel workbook (I am currently at 160 MBytes). This is a new behaviour that appeared when I surpassed 65,536 or more dependencies to unique references (the level or number of links between formulas). Any ideas on how to fix this would be greatly appreciated. Thanks, James ...

import data from Oracle database into Excel using vba
Has anyone an example of importing data from an Oracle database into Excel using VBA? ...

Exchange 2003
My boss just asked if he could have the authority to edit email groups and I'm not sure where I go to do that. Any help would be appreciated In the properties of the group, add your boss under the Managed By section, and check the box Manager can update membership list. -- Ben Winzenz Exchange MVP MessageOne Read my blog! http://winzenz.blogspot.com http://feeds.feedburner.com/winzenz (RSS Feed) "KJacks" <KJacks@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:28F891D3-A698-4426-927A-EA20754A51F0@microsoft.com... > My boss just asked if he could have the authorit...

what template should i use for collecting monthly payments from m.

Locking data #2
Hi, Is there any way that once a user has clicked a button or entered data into a cell it is locked in an equivalent cell? For example in Cell B1 formula =A1 in Cell A1 = 5 If the 5 becomes 6 then so will B1. But is there anyway, that by using a formula or short onClick code I can make it so that B1 remains 5 even if A1 changes. Thanks Antony ...

Merge Data
I would like to compare quotes and orders for clients. On both QUOTE and INVOICE sheets within workbook I have following columns headings which are identical: QUOTE: COLUMN H = CLIENT COLUMN I = 2007 COLUMN J = 2008 COLUMN K = 2009 INVOICE: COLUMN H = CLIENT COLUMN I = 2007 COLUMN J = 2008 COLUMN K = 2009 The rows do not correspond with each other between 2 tabs. However, I would like it to combine data i.e. CLIENT will be merged where duplicated and then in columns will be 2007, 2008, 2009 quoted and invoiced. Is it possible to automatically merge and populate this in order to calculate ...

Added data in columns
I am new to Excel. I have a project I am working on in which I have a column with a value from 1 to 5. Each number (and in some columns letters) represents a different answer. Is there a way to add the total number of each value? For instance I have over 2000 rows with data. In column "N", an answer can be either 1,2,3,4 or 5. How would I figure out how many answers are "1", how many are "2" an so on. Likewise there is a column with a yes/no answer. How can I see the total number of Yes's and how many No's there are? I appreciate any help. Hi ...