Gradebook woes

As Eeyore says, "here we go"

I am implementing a gradebook with excel.  How can I three assignments
weighted differently and still give me an average in one cell?  I also would
like to have columns open to add assignments and to have those assignments
automatically pick up the formula for the average.  My problem now is that I
cannot get an average as I go along.  All of the Internet sites have
gradebooks that are complete with all the grades and everything but I would
like to add them as they are assigned.  Is there a formula that would state
"If J5 is empty, do not include in average but if J5= # then include in
average.  I am pulling my hair out with this as I also have different
weights for different assignments.  I wish I could just get a template but I
have to do this original gradebook as part of a portfolio.  Excel is
obviously my weakest MS application and it is killing me.  Thanks for any
suggestions if you can make heads or tails out of my explanation

73
Greg
ki4bbl AT cox DOTNET

0
ki4bbl (5)
3/8/2005 9:50:07 PM
excel 39879 articles. 2 followers. Follow

Greg,

Does this help

=SUMPRODUCT(A1:C1,{7,5,3})/COUNT(A1:C1)

where A1:c1 are the grades, 7,5,3, are the weights

--
 HTH

Bob Phillips

"G. Doughty" <ki4bbl@cox.net> wrote in message
> As Eeyore says, "here we go"
>
> I am implementing a gradebook with excel.  How can I three assignments
> weighted differently and still give me an average in one cell?  I also
would
> like to have columns open to add assignments and to have those assignments
> automatically pick up the formula for the average.  My problem now is that
> cannot get an average as I go along.  All of the Internet sites have
> gradebooks that are complete with all the grades and everything but I
would
> like to add them as they are assigned.  Is there a formula that would
state
> "If J5 is empty, do not include in average but if J5= # then include in
> average.  I am pulling my hair out with this as I also have different
> weights for different assignments.  I wish I could just get a template but
> have to do this original gradebook as part of a portfolio.  Excel is
> obviously my weakest MS application and it is killing me.  Thanks for any
> suggestions if you can make heads or tails out of my explanation
>
> 73
> Greg
> ki4bbl AT cox DOTNET

0
phillips1 (803)
3/8/2005 10:42:03 PM
Maybe...........

=SUM(J1:J20)/COUNT(J1:J20)

Vaya con Dios,
Chuck, CABGx3

"G. Doughty" <ki4bbl@cox.net> wrote in message
> As Eeyore says, "here we go"
>
> I am implementing a gradebook with excel.  How can I three assignments
> weighted differently and still give me an average in one cell?  I also
would
> like to have columns open to add assignments and to have those assignments
> automatically pick up the formula for the average.  My problem now is that
> cannot get an average as I go along.  All of the Internet sites have
> gradebooks that are complete with all the grades and everything but I
would
> like to add them as they are assigned.  Is there a formula that would
state
> "If J5 is empty, do not include in average but if J5= # then include in
> average.  I am pulling my hair out with this as I also have different
> weights for different assignments.  I wish I could just get a template but
> have to do this original gradebook as part of a portfolio.  Excel is
> obviously my weakest MS application and it is killing me.  Thanks for any
> suggestions if you can make heads or tails out of my explanation
>
> 73
> Greg
> ki4bbl AT cox DOTNET

0
croberts (1377)

Gradebook template-- How to print one student information
Prints 5 pages when have only small amount of information np2 Wrote: > Prints 5 pages when have only small amount of information Hi Np2 Try File > Page Setup > Page Tab >Click fit to 1 page wide by 1 page long Or File > Page Setup > Sheet Tab and set Print Are -- Paul Sheppar ----------------------------------------------------------------------- Paul Sheppard's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php?action=getinfo&userid=2478 View this thread: http://www.excelforum.com/showthread.php?threadid=46764 ...

Using Excel as a gradebook with ability to drop lowest grade
I use Excel as my gradebook using separate worksheets for subcategory. In the test worksheet, I would like to be able to, for each student, drop the lowest test grade. This may be a different test for each student. Try this: =(SUM(B2:F2)-(MIN(B2:F2)))/(COUNT(B2:F2)-1) This will drop the lowest grade and give you the average grade after the lowest grade is dropped. This assumes that you have five grades entered in columns B through F. Hope this helps. "Teacher" wrote: > I use Excel as my gradebook using separate worksheets for subcategory. In the > test worksheet, I ...

Using Excel as a Gradebook:Calculating sum excluding blanks and ze
I am attempting to use Excel as a gradebook and I would like to total the values of a series of columns where the values are not blank and are greater than 0. Should I test each value in a range for blank or >0? If so, how would I go about doing that? I have basic programming skills based out of Java (very elementary), and would like to understand what I am doing. So if you reply, could you please explain? Hi! >I would like to total the values That means you want to add together or sum, correct? If so, the SUM function ignores blank cells and text entries, and any cells contain...

PST importing woes
I'm trying to import the pst file I saved before I deleted the partition and reinstalled, but I'm having a problem: Only the files in the that were in the inbox (new mail) before, when I saved them, are importing. I remember doing it correctly, and watching the computer tell me that all the files in those folders were being exported. What can I do when I import again? Just copy the .pst file to the new computer, delete the new .pst file and when you open Outlook and it complains, point it to the .pst file that you copied. No need to import or export. --� Milly Staples [MVP - O...

Calendaring and Scheduling woes
We have an exchange 2003 server that services a single domain. When people try to schedule meetings they go to new meeting, open up the scheduling tab, and types in the person's name, they don't get their calendar. If they type in the person shortname, they do get the proper calendar. Also, if they try to look up the person in an address list, they have to make sure that they select all users and choose the person, because if they select it from outlook contacts or another shared contact list it will be the persons name but once again there will be no calendar. It is as if t...

Money 2005 Installation woes
I get two errors. When I attempt to INternet Update I get "Money was not able to properly install Online Services. If you want to use your Online Service, please reinstall Money from your original product disks". For all other commands I get "Your security settings do not allow this file to be downloaded". I've tried to uninstall and reinstall, delete temp files, reinstall 2004 uninstall and then reinstall 2005, disable Mcafee, disable SP2 security center, change the Internet security setting, nothing seems to work. Any ideas? In microsoft.public.money, Bwhit...

XPath woes [vb.net]
I've been playing around with xml for a couple days, so I have no idea what I'm doing yet :). Be gentle. Ok, here's what I have... ================================ Do while xmlIter_Records.MoveNext Dim i As Integer = xmlIter_Records.Current.GetAttribute("id", "") Dim xmlIter_MovieINfo As XPath.XPathNodeIterator = xmlXPNav.Select("/Records/Record[@id='" & i & "']/MovieInfo/*") Do while xmlIter_MovieInfo.MoveNext ... loop Loop ================================= The id above will always be something...

MFC and GDI+
Has anyone tried to make a few GDI+ calls from the standard MFC application framework? Are they compatible? Is there a way of making GDI+ calls completely independent of the GDI calls? ==== I am getting some strange results as follows. 1. I initialise GDI+ in my InitInstance stuff and tidy it up at the end. 2. When beginning painting with CDC *pDC, I create a GDI+ Graphics object Graphics *pGr = new Graphics( pDC->m_hDC ); and delete it when finished. [I am wondering what might happen to pDC->m_hDC when I delete pGr, but it doesn't seem to be the problem - see below.] ...

OE 6 to Outlook '03 woes
I thought when I switched over to Outlook '03 I would be moving forward but so far I seem to have more can'ts than new cans OE 6 let me switch identities by menu. Outlook will only let me exit and restart with a extra profile box to click OE 6 got my mail as it launched. Outlook will only get new mail by clicking send/receive or F9 OE 6 sent my mail instantly. Outlook needs two clicks of send to deliver my new mail OE 6 would dial out on a dial-up connection. Outlook tries to get new mail, errors out, then prompts for dialing, and requires more clicking of send/receive buttons to g...

Outlook Deployment Woes - MST File
Hello All Can someone confirm that this is expected behaviour . We want to acheive the following: Deploy Outlook 2003 SP2 on all machines. Some of the machines already have olders versions of Office and some have nothing at all. I am not particularly concerned about Office, only the Outlook component. Office is out of scope but if it all gets upgraded with the Outlook work, then fine - double bonus. Here is what I have done: Created an installation point for Office on a network share Patched the installation point with SP2 Created an MST file which contains some Outlook profile settings. ...

"Send on Behalf of/Send as" Woe's
Hi Guys, I have a really weird problem going on with Send as permissions. A while ago I set up some users and allowed them to send on Behalf of an email address assigned to a public folder. (Went to the folder properties in system manager and added the to the delivery options pane, and also added the in the directory rights pane and the administration rights pane, on the permissions tab within folder properties) The Send as works fine for these users, they can use the "From:" button in outlook and send as if the mail is coming from the email address assigned to the Public fol...

HELP: Hotmail under Outlook 97/2000/XP/2003 woes :S
Does anyone know how to get Hotmail working under MS Outlook 97? If this is not possible, is it possible under MS Outlook 2000, or XP, or 2003? only 2002 and 2003 support HTTP (WebDav) access to hotmail. And you need either an old account you used with HTTP regularly or you need a paid account. http://www.slipstick.com/addins/services/online.htm -- Diane Poremsky [MVP - Outlook] Author, Teach Yourself Outlook 2003 in 24 Hours Coauthor, OneNote 2003 for Windows (Visual QuickStart Guide) Need Help with Common Tasks? http://www.outlook-tips.net/beginner/ Outlook Tips: http://www.outlook...

Gradebooks
Can someone tell where can I get a deal on gradebooks at? On Thu, 17 Jan 2008 19:08:14 -0600, <aaroncunningham1@peoplepc.com> wrote: > Can someone tell where can I get a deal on gradebooks at? Well, not in a technical support newsgroup for Microsoft Access databases. And the terminal "at" is ungrammatical and unnecessary. I hope you're not teaching English. John W. Vinson [MVP] ...

Date woes using VBA
I have a table with a field for dates, which contains four rows. I am attempting to use the first date to populate a field in a different table, using an update query written in SQL. The syntax is: rs.ActiveConnection = DR rs.Open "AttDatesT" With rs rs.MoveFirst datDate = .Fields("DateId") MsgBox strDate strSQL1 = "UPDATE [Students-T] SET [Students-T].Date1 = " DoCmd.RunSQL strSQL1 & datDate End With rs.Close The message box displays the date correctly, eg 10/02...

Autoformatting woes
Hello, I am trying to open a CSV file in Excel 2010, and it clobbers the data. I am using Germany for my Windows Language/Region Settings. As an example, a snippet of the original CSV data might look like: "25";"";"64.79";"";"2.80" but it will open as: 25 64.79 Feb 80 And when I attempt to format cells as "text," I get 25 64.79 29252 How it turns "2.80" into "29252" is a mystery to me. Is there anything I can do about this, preferably a default setting for Excel? Thanks "Kevin N" <bossk538@...

Subform woes...any suggestions?
Hello, I posted this problem elsewhere without success and I'd really appreciate your collective help! My database is for displaying words in a foreign language and the table structure is as follows: tblWords (contains all the words): WordID (Primary Key) OriginalLanguageWord PhoneticReading English tblRelateTypes (contains the type of cross-references than can exist between the words): RelateTypeID (Primary Key) RelateDescription tblWordRelates (contains the cross-references between the words): WordRelatesID (Primary Key) OriginalWordID (tblWords WordID is foreign key) RelateWor...

Money Plus woes
Hi, I upgraded to Microsoft Money Plus from Money 2007. Didn't seem to have a problem. When I did an online update, it worked fine the first time. All updates finished as normal and accounts seemed to update properly. I did a save of this money file. The second time I did an online update, Money hung in Service Updates and the account update spinner kept on turning. After a long time of nothing and money using up 100% of CPU time constantly I killed the money process and restarted it. Now the account update spinner keeps turning and CPU is at 100%. Future account updates don...

Cannot enter est. revenue + Workflow woes
Two issues (amongst countless others) I have with CRM are: - It doesn't appear to be possible to enter the estimated value of an opportunity, even if I specifically update the form to be 'user provided'. The text box remains greyed out. I have checked whether the value is read-only on the form (which it isn't) and one cannot edit the attribute as it is a system attribute. Furthermore, the opportunity always remains at an estimated value of 0 despite creating associated quotes. - I have created a workflow whereby follow up phone calls are created when users pick from a...

Save Close Cancel Dialog Box Woes
Just recently, in Outlook 2003, when I add a new appointment to the Calendar, I click on "Save and Close" on the upper-left corner and then a new "Save Close Cancel" dialog box appears. How can I stop the second dialog box from popping up? ...

Registration Woes?
Does anyone know if the Registration Glitch has been fixed? Not yet, as far as we know. They are giving it a very low priority, focusing their efforts on getting the bugs in the product fixed first :-) Ahem... The Registration Glitch is owned by Marketing, and everyone hates Marketing :-) Cheers On 10/02/08 5:35 AM, in article ee8cd29.-1@webcrossing.caR9absDaxw, "1parkpointer@officeformac.com" <1parkpointer@officeformac.com> wrote: > Does anyone know if the Registration Glitch has been fixed? -- Don't wait for your answer, click here: http://www.word.mvps.org/ ...

More Outlook Client CRM Woes
I've been struggling to get the Moblie Client installed on a laptop for one of my users. After 5 or 6 unsuccessful attempts, the user informed me she does not need access to CRM from Outlook remotely, so I decided to just go ahead and install the Outlook client. Everything appeared to go fine, until I opened Outlook and got the familiar "An Error Occurred Starting CRM Functionality...yadda yadda". The difference being that this time, all the functionality works! The problem is that none of the CRM toolbars are showing up...neither in Outlook or within Emails/Appointmen...

"Delete Record" command button woes
I just added what I thought was going to be a 'Delete Record' cmd button to my Access form. Here's the VBA the 'wizard' created: Private Sub Command96_Click() On Error GoTo Err_Command96_Click DoCmd.DoMenuItem acFormBar, acEditMenu, 8, , acMenuVer70 DoCmd.DoMenuItem acFormBar, acEditMenu, 6, , acMenuVer70 Exit_Command96_Click: Exit Sub Err_Command96_Click: MsgBox Err.Description Resume Exit_Command96_Click End Sub Apart from making this pronging sound when I click it, it has no other effect. Anyone know what's going on? I would've ...

College Assignment Woes
Hello, I would GREATLY appreciate it if someone could guide me in some kind of direction. I have been given the following data: On a new sheet, named Salary Table, starting at cell A1, build the following table: Name Current Salary Percent Increase Effective Month 2004 Compensation. My exact problem is that I must createa formula that can be used for all to calculate the amount to each employee for the year 2004. The increases take place on the first day of the month specified. This means that if increase comes in July, the pay is six months at the old rate and six months at the new rat...

My Exchange 5.5 IMC Outbound Woes!!!
Hi, I have a problem with a single Exchange 5.5 server which is part of a 3 site network sharing the same domain. Everything has been working perfectly for the past 3 years until recently. The problem is that one site will stop sending mail to users in the GAL after a day or so. It successfully routes external mail to the internet however via DNS, and will accept inbound internal and external mail. Messages simply queue up, including Directory replication messages, which eventually end up in the Archive directory. Evaluating the logs it mentions that it cannot connect to the destination ...

2k7 Journaling woes!
Hey guys, My journaling vendor is up in fits because every piece of mail that my journal account sends is formatted in TNEF with a winmail.dat. The line in the headers that has them up in arms is this: Content-Type: application/ms-tnef; name="winmail.dat" When I send any other type of mail to any location, with our without an attachment including their service noone sees that line. Is this something new in 2K7 that all mail goes out in TNEF? If not, how do I make my journal recipient stop sending this way? Thanks for any help at all! ...