Getting same number to appear over and again

Hi. I'm trying to change the E's I have entered in a column to 1's. However, 
in lieu of changing them one by one, I would like to do them all in one fell 
swoop. Any suggestions?

John 


0
2/23/2007 6:32:37 AM
excel 39879 articles. 2 followers. Follow

18 Replies
527 Views

Similar Articles

[PageSpeed] 56

Hi John

You could use find and replace.
Select all of your data. Goto Edit>Find

Find what:- E
Replace with:- 1

HTH
Martin


0
mtmw (348)
2/23/2007 6:40:22 AM
John

Do NOT multipost. See your answer in Excel group.
And do a google search for newsgroup etiquette!! 


0
mtmw (348)
2/23/2007 6:46:46 AM
John

Do NOT multipost. See your answer in Excel group.
And do a google search for newsgroup etiquette!! 


0
mtmw (348)
2/23/2007 6:47:10 AM
John

Do NOT multipost. See your answer in Excel group.
And do a google search for newsgroup etiquette!! 


0
mtmw (348)
2/23/2007 6:47:58 AM
John

Do NOT multipost. See your answer in Excel group.
And do a google search for newsgroup etiquette!!
0
MartinW (10)
2/23/2007 6:57:00 AM
John

Do NOT multipost. See your answer in Excel group.
And do a google search for newsgroup etiquette!!
0
MartinW (10)
2/23/2007 6:58:02 AM
Martin,

Thank you very much for your tip. It was very helpful. I also found out that 
you could highlight cells with the same number and hit control>>enter.

As for my double posting, I didn't know that was such a breach of newsgroup 
etiquette. Sorry. While we're on the subject, did I do anything else that 
was a violation of newsgroup protocol?

John


"John" <someone@someplace.invalid> wrote in message 
news:eOjspRxVHHA.5100@TK2MSFTNGP06.phx.gbl...
> Hi. I'm trying to change the E's I have entered in a column to 1's. 
> However, in lieu of changing them one by one, I would like to do them all 
> in one fell swoop. Any suggestions?
>
> John
> 


0
2/23/2007 7:02:38 AM
 While we're on the subject, did I do anything else that
> was a violation of newsgroup protocol?
>

No you didn't John all though I probably did in my reply to
you, something went haywire with posts fying all over the
place.

Anyway the reason that multiposting is frowned upon is that
people can can often waste time trying to answer a question that
has already been answered in another group. Maybe not such
a big deal for easy questions with simple solutions but can
be very frustrating for someone who spends half an hour
on a complex problem only to find that the problem has been
solved in another group.

Regards
Martin


0
mtmw (348)
2/23/2007 7:17:10 AM
Martin,

Okay, I'll try to avoid that from now on.

John


"MartinW" <mtmw@hotmail.invalid> wrote in message 
news:%23FS5jqxVHHA.3980@TK2MSFTNGP02.phx.gbl...
> While we're on the subject, did I do anything else that
>> was a violation of newsgroup protocol?
>>
>
> No you didn't John all though I probably did in my reply to
> you, something went haywire with posts fying all over the
> place.
>
> Anyway the reason that multiposting is frowned upon is that
> people can can often waste time trying to answer a question that
> has already been answered in another group. Maybe not such
> a big deal for easy questions with simple solutions but can
> be very frustrating for someone who spends half an hour
> on a complex problem only to find that the problem has been
> solved in another group.
>
> Regards
> Martin
>
> 


0
2/23/2007 7:22:32 AM
On 23 Feb., 07:32, "John" <some...@someplace.invalid> wrote:
> Hi. I'm trying to change the E's I have entered in a column to 1's. However,
> in lieu of changing them one by one, I would like to do them all in one fell
> swoop. Any suggestions?
>
> John

Hi John,

You could highlight the array of your E's and goto Edit -> Replace

Regards,
Bondi

0
mbondorff (49)
2/23/2007 8:36:35 AM
John

You can use Edit>Replace on the column (and can match the specific
case if required ie replace "E" but not "e"):

Find What:= "E"
Replace With:=1

and click Replace All.

Hope this helps!

Richard


On 23 Feb, 06:32, "John" <some...@someplace.invalid> wrote:
> Hi. I'm trying to change the E's I have entered in a column to 1's. However,
> in lieu of changing them one by one, I would like to do them all in one fell
> swoop. Any suggestions?
>
> John


0
2/23/2007 8:55:26 AM
Have you tried Find / Replace?

Select your range and then find E's, replace with 1's.

-- 

Damon Longworth

2007 East Coast Excel / Access User Conference
April 18-20, 2007   - Providing Microsoft Excel training and Microsoft Excel 
Classes
Atlantic City, New Jersey
www.ExcelUserConference.com/ECEUC.html

"John" <someone@someplace.invalid> wrote in message 
news:eOjspRxVHHA.5100@TK2MSFTNGP06.phx.gbl...
Hi. I'm trying to change the E's I have entered in a column to 1's. However,
in lieu of changing them one by one, I would like to do them all in one fell
swoop. Any suggestions?

John



0
2/23/2007 12:30:46 PM
Your original message (sent to 5 newsgroups with the followup set to this one)
was actually crossposted.  Multiposting means that you sent the same/equivalent
message to each group separately.

Multiposting is a serious breach <vbg> of newsgroup ettiquette.

Crossposting isn't seen as a problem -- if it's required.  But in most cases
with pure excel questions, it's very rarely necessary.  Pick the appropriate
newsgroup and just post once.


John wrote:
> 
> Martin,
> 
> Thank you very much for your tip. It was very helpful. I also found out that
> you could highlight cells with the same number and hit control>>enter.
> 
> As for my double posting, I didn't know that was such a breach of newsgroup
> etiquette. Sorry. While we're on the subject, did I do anything else that
> was a violation of newsgroup protocol?
> 
> John
> 
> "John" <someone@someplace.invalid> wrote in message
> news:eOjspRxVHHA.5100@TK2MSFTNGP06.phx.gbl...
> > Hi. I'm trying to change the E's I have entered in a column to 1's.
> > However, in lieu of changing them one by one, I would like to do them all
> > in one fell swoop. Any suggestions?
> >
> > John
> >

-- 

Dave Peterson
0
petersod (12004)
2/23/2007 12:43:39 PM
John,

You can perform a Find/Replace All.  Ctrl-F on your keyboard.

Regards,
Eddie
http://HelpExcel.com

0
ed5274 (22)
2/23/2007 2:23:22 PM
Martin

You are not the newsgroup police. Multi-posting, while annoying, is 
sometimes the best way to get the right answer. If you don't like it, don't 
read it.

And by the way, you posted this response twice, so follow your own rules.


"John" <someone@someplace.invalid> wrote in message 
news:eOjspRxVHHA.5100@TK2MSFTNGP06.phx.gbl...
> Hi. I'm trying to change the E's I have entered in a column to 1's. 
> However, in lieu of changing them one by one, I would like to do them all 
> in one fell swoop. Any suggestions?
>
> John
> 

0
edit (6)
2/23/2007 4:15:19 PM
I disagree with the statement that multiposting is sometimes the best way to get
the right answer.  It just irritates the regular readers and may even make it so
that no followup improvements are offered by those irritated readers.

Crossposting could be useful under some circumstances.  I don't think
multiposting is ever the best way.



John C Harris wrote:
> 
> Martin
> 
> You are not the newsgroup police. Multi-posting, while annoying, is
> sometimes the best way to get the right answer. If you don't like it, don't
> read it.
> 
> And by the way, you posted this response twice, so follow your own rules.
> 
> "John" <someone@someplace.invalid> wrote in message
> news:eOjspRxVHHA.5100@TK2MSFTNGP06.phx.gbl...
> > Hi. I'm trying to change the E's I have entered in a column to 1's.
> > However, in lieu of changing them one by one, I would like to do them all
> > in one fell swoop. Any suggestions?
> >
> > John
> >

-- 

Dave Peterson
0
petersod (12004)
2/23/2007 5:16:43 PM
John wrote:
> Hi. I'm trying to change the E's I have entered in a column to 1's. However, 
> in lieu of changing them one by one, I would like to do them all in one fell 
> swoop. Any suggestions?
> 
> John 
> 
> 
And don't post twice like MartinW :-)

gls858
0
gls858 (460)
2/23/2007 9:06:46 PM
On Feb 23, 12:32 am, "John" <some...@someplace.invalid> wrote:
> Hi. I'm trying to change the E's I have entered in a column to 1's. However,
> in lieu of changing them one by one, I would like to do them all in one fell
> swoop. Any suggestions?
>
> John

You could use find/replace.

Click edit/find and then click replace. Enter the number/letter to
find and then what to replace it with and then Replace All

0
wx4usa (26)
2/27/2007 3:13:40 AM
Reply:

Similar Artilces:

Generate random numbers
Im looking for an addin og a tool in Excel to generate numbers using initial seed. Are there any tool available? Helge Helge - If you want to write VBA code, you could use RANDOMIZE and RND. If you want to use an add-in, there are many, and my RiskSim is one example, available at http://www.treeplan.com/risksim.htm - Mike http://www.MikeMiddleton.com "Helge's" <helge.klungland@plena.no> wrote in message news:25a7f68e-b3ce-4c5a-b11e-718ce5f31022@e7g2000yqf.googlegroups.com... > Im looking for an addin og a tool in Excel to generate numbers usin...

I want access to ask for a number then use that number to print la
I have a table with all of the parts nessicary to build a component. I want the operator to enter the work order number and quantity required. I want Access to print out labels which contain all of the parts in my table and print the work order number on each label as well as multiply the quantity the operator entered by the quantity of each part in the table. So you want a user to enter a Work Order #, Component, and Quantity, and have the label print out part numbers and quantities? You can build a form with three text boxes on it and have the user fill out WO#, qty and Component. Y...

How do I get an automatic reminder with a certain cell value? #2
Is there a way to receive a pop-up comment or text box when a certain thing is typed into a cell? For example, each time I type "new instrument", I want a reminder to pop-up like a comment would that says "Call Property Accounting". Is there a function like this in Excel? Assuming data entry cells are col. A, right-click the worksheet tab, choose "View Code", copy in the code below, and press ALT+Q to close VBE. Private Sub Worksheet_Change(ByVal Target As Excel.Range) Dim sMsg As String With Target If .Column > 1 Then Exit Sub If .Count > 1 Then Exit...

How do you Find Number of Columns when a column label = ""?
I have a row of column strings. To find the number of columns in row 1 I would use: Maxcol = sheets(1).Range("A1").End(xlToRight).Column However, if one of the column labels before the end is "" (empty) then the Maxcol stops there. How do you find the true number of columns if some of the column labels are "" but the last column label in the row exists? Do you have to loop through all 256 possible columns in a for loop checking for the end or is there a simpler way? Thanks for any help. Dennis One way: With Sheets(1).Cells(1, Columns.Count) ...

Repost: Microsoft 2002 won't run on Windows XP, can't get product id for MS Help
After installing Microsoft 2002 on my Windows XP system I get the error "Unable to initialize a required Money component." The Microsoft CHECKSKU program detects, but does not correct, the problem. I cannot create an online help request from Microsoft because I can't get the product id because I can't run Money. Any help anyone can offer? Thanks a bunch! Keith... I found three articles in the MS KB on this. The third one has the checksku stuff, try the first two. http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;310765 http://support.microsoft.com/default.as...

"add to contacts " short does not appear
In Outlook 2000, you can easily add to your Contacts folder the name of anyone who sends you an e-mail message. Add a sender's name to your Contacts folder Open the e-mail message. On the From line, right-click the name of the sender, and then click Add to Contacts. A contact will open with the sender's name and e-mail address filled in. You can add any other information you want. The (Add to Contacts) option never appears! Is this a custom feature? I would think should appear by default. Thanks for any help possible It should work - did you try a reinstall to repair ...

Format cell will not appear
Hello, I have a budget spreadsheet in E2k that I need to update. I can change al the numbers and formlas but if I select Format Cells the dialog box will not appear. I cannot find a single cell anyware in that workbook that works. The budget sheet has some grey area to the righ. I tweaked it last year and I can't remember what I did. Please help Tim Tim, Maybe the sheet is protected. Tools, Protection. If you see Unprotect sheet" it was. -- Earl Kiosterud mvpearl omitthisword at verizon period net ------------------------------------------- "Tim Marciniak" <t...

seperate text and number in the same cell
Hi, i have the following data : cell a2 : aa22 cell a3 : aab80 cell a4 : acd99 how can i but just the letters in cell b2 and the number in cell c2 such as b2 = aa c2=22 thank you all --- Message posted from http://www.ExcelForum.com/ Hi Jed, Don't know if you always have exactly 2 digits like your example, but you can get a formula to separate them at http://www.mvps.org/dmcritchie/excel/sorting.htm#pcdigits is a solution posted by Tom Ogilvy which will split of digits from the right not limited to 2 digits.. If you need to get real fancy Harlan Grove posted some example E...

how do you get a trendline to ignore anomalies?
if i want anomalies to appear on a graph, but want the trend line to ignore them so it doesn't ruin the trend line, how do i do it? Plot two data series on the graph, and add the trendline to the series that does not have anomalies. Jerry Rico wrote: > if i want anomalies to appear on a graph, but want the trend line to ignore > them so it doesn't ruin the trend line, how do i do it? > Plot two data series on the graph, and add the trendline to the series > that does not have anomalies Jerry's approach has the added benefit that it will allow you to plot the...

Numbers in Circles
How do I best make circles with numbers in them and then make them yellow? Do I use a symbol - if so, how do I make it yellow?! Thanks! Here's how I would do it in Publisher 2000 As you stated, use the circle symbol then select the fill icon (paint bucket) select one of the two default yellows (or get more shades) click on a color selection Here you would either keep the black rim or you could select the line color and change it to yellow or other color. Now select the text icon and make a text box, make your number. Next make the text box transparent by Cntrl T, then drag the text...

Outlook 2003 Appears to Freeze
Hello, A client has Office 2003 on XP Pro with McAfee Security Center, all fully updated. on a P4/3GHz/1G RAM/80G hard drive with plenty of space. When starting Outlook (which opens to the Inbox) with the preview pane on, it takes an interminable amount of time -- over a minute -- to fully start so that we can do anything with it. The preview pane is the last element of the display to be rendered. If the preview pane is disabled, Outlook starts very quickly, within about 5 seconds. However, if we then try to open a message for the first time in its own window, we still have to w...

Fax numbers in Outlook 2002
Is there some way to not have 2 entries show up when sending an email and using the To: button when the contact you are sending to has a fax number and an email address? Thanks, Greg The standard behavior for the Outlook Address book is to display all electronic addresses (both fax and e-mail). That behavior cannot be changed. The only way to prevent the display of fax numbers is to store them in a different field or to disguise them (e.g., precede them with an alpha character) so that Outlook won't recognize them as phone numbers. There are also a number of utilities available that c...

wheeling numbers
hi all is it possible to get excel to wheel all lotto numbers (1 to 49) and save them to excel?? tks António One way put 1 and A1 2 in A2 and so on down to 49 in A49 in B1, put =RAND() copy down the formula to B49, select both column and do data>sort and sort ascending by column B, now select the 7 first numbers. -- Regards, Peo Sjoblom (No private emails please, for everyone's benefit keep the discussion in the newsgroup/forum) "Antonio" <Antonio@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:3C535307-A514-4F9F-8B0A-0BC1C6A5CDFB@microsoft.com... >...

Summarizing quantities by Part Number
This query is working, but I'd like to "summarize" the quantities by "PartNo". How do I go about doing that? SELECT DISTINCTROW sqry_Inventory.Program, sqry_Inventory.Division, sqry_Inventory.PartNo, sqry_Inventory.Serial, sqry_Inventory.Building, Sum(sqry_Inventory.[Updated Qty]) AS [Sum Of Updated Qty], Sum(sqry_Inventory.UnitCost) AS [Sum Of UnitCost] FROM sqry_Inventory WHERE (((sqry_Inventory.Program)=[Enter Program])) GROUP BY sqry_Inventory.Program, sqry_Inventory.Division, sqry_Inventory.PartNo, sqry_Inventory.Serial, sqry_Inventory.Building OR...

Global fix for scientific number format?
Does anyone know if there is a way to globally change the format of a number that displays as a scientific number? For example, I have a column of numbers that are being displayed like "0348489+E", etc... If I change the format to text, it still doesn't help. I have tried the apostrophe before the number and it does seem to change it to the number that I need it to be, however, I have about 10,000 numbers that I need to put the apostrophe in front of and can't possibly do it to each one individually. Is there any way to do this to all of the numbers at once? ...

how do I get data from an array into one cell (comma delimited)
looking for a way to query an array 3 cells by 3 cells (they have numeric data only) and return a value in a seperate cell that has all the numbers in the array (comma delimited) thanks If C1 thru E3 contain: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 then: =C1 & "," & D1 &","& E1 &","& C2 &","& D2 &","& E2 &","& C3 &","& D3 &","& E3 will return: 1,2,3,4,5,6,7,8,9 -- Gary's Student "bb" wrote: > looking for a way to query an array 3 cells by 3 cell...

Total number of Jan 2007 entries in a list of date formatted field
I have a report that captures work done by sales reps. For each entry there exists a date. This report is exported in Excel format and the date is captured as mm/dd/yyyy hh:mm. I would like to have a column that lists the number of work entries by Jan 2007, Feb 2007, Mar 2007, etc. I am at a loss as to how I can conditionally count the occurrence based on the month and the year in this date field. Thanks in advance. =SUMPRODUCT(--(YEAR(B2:B200)=2007),--(MONTH(B2:B200)=1)) where B2:B200 holds the dates you can expand on that if you want to count for an individual =SUMPRODUCT(--(A...

Getting value from a picklist
I'm trying to use the value in a select picklist (based on the Contacts table) in some SQL to get further data from the CRM database. I'm looking at something along the lines of (AIR CODE!): var oDataValue = crmForm.all.new_enduserid.DataValue; var oSQL = "SELECT * FROM whateverTable WHERE TableID = " + oDataValue; However, it doesn't work - I'm unable to get the value of the selected item in the picklist. This line of code: alert(oDataValue); returns: [object Object] while attempting to get SelectedText returns "undefined". What am I doing wrong? ...

how do I get a php code
I have Data in Zip files which I need to get up and running as drop down menus for locating which part is compatible etc. I was sent the data by my main supplier howver they have told me to get it all working I need a php code/ what is it? where do I get it? and then what do I do with it? Thanks Jim ...

Getting owner draw child control to paint when calling SetWindowText
Hi, I have an owner draw static class. DrawItem is called (and works ok) when the dialog repaints, i.e. initially and when restored, but my class DrawItem is not called when SetWindowText is called. Is there some way to get a dialog to request an owner draw child control to paint itself other than calling Invalidate() and UpdateWindow() in the dialog class (which draws all the controls and in my app results in an endless loop as the static text is changed by a slider control)? TIA Jan Some detail omitted for clarity: class ColorStatic : public CStatic { public: ColorStatic(); ~Colo...

CEditView and linie numbers
My apllication should display line numbers in a MDI applications Text windows view. Each line should have its own line number, like: 00001 Some text 00002 Next line with text 00003 Another .... Wordwrap is not on Any hint? You will have to write a custom control to that, which means you will have to write your own edit control from scratch. See if this helps: http://www.learnstar.com/AliR/HexView.zip I wrote this sample while I was helping someone on here a couple of years ago. All of the logic of the hex editor is in the HexViewView.cpp class. AliR. "Laurs" <Laurs...

Get a Free Laptop!
This is a legitimate offer and they have given away thousands of laptops to date. There's no catch but there is a bit of work to it though. You have to sign up for a promotional offer, and refer other people as well, but in the end you really will get a brand new laptop. Copy and paste this url into your browser: http://laptops.freepay.com/?r=31072333 Yeah and that's why you have to spam newsgroups. "Carl" <special113@gmail.com> wrote in message news:1151737869.226439.83800@h44g2000cwa.googlegroups.com... > This is a legitimate offer and they have given away t...

Get BItmap From HDC
I'm stuck with getting CBitmap object from HDC. I'm using ecw SDK to view ecw files, and I need my soft to return CBitmap object of this .ecw file. in SDK there is a method: DrawImage( HDC DeviceContext, LPRECT pClipRect, IEEE8 dWorldTLX, IEEE8 dWorldTLY, IEEE8 dWorldBRX, IEEE8 dWorldBRY ); wich works just fine, it draws picture into givet device context. DrawImage(hdc, &m_Rect, m_dTLX, m_dTLY, m_dBRX, m_dBRY); CBitmap bitmap; CBitmap * bmp=bitmap.FromHandle((HBITMAP)hdc); is this right?? if DrawImage method drawed picture into HDC already?. If you have an HDC, and it has a bi...

how to get Word Art along a circular arc?
I'm designing a logo for our company conference. I'd like the main shape of the logo to be a circle, with the theme of our annual conference across the top of the circle. Then I'd like to have 3 big rings going around and disappearing behind the circle (rather like the rings of Saturn). I have 2 questions. 1) I'd like the text to be in an arc that parallels the outline of the circle - the text will take up about one quarter of the circumference. I've discovered how to get Word Art to put the text in an arc, but the arc is oval rather than circular, and doesn'...

How do i get the product of max. price in access2007 query?
in query i want to get product ID with the Max. or Min. price The SQL statement for a query to do that would be SELECT ProductID FROM SomeTable WHERE Price = DMax("Price","SomeTable") OR SELECT TOP 1 ProductID FROM SomeTable ORDER BY Price DESC IF you need something more specific post more details on what you are attempting to do. John Spencer Access MVP 2002-2005, 2007-2010 The Hilltop Institute University of Maryland Baltimore County amr wrote: > in query i want to get product ID with the Max. or Min. price ...