Getting same number to appear over and again

Hi. I'm trying to change the E's I have entered in a column to 1's. However,
in lieu of changing them one by one, I would like to do them all in one fell
swoop. Any suggestions?

John

excel 39879 articles. 2 followers. Follow

Hi John

You could use find and replace.
Select all of your data. Goto Edit>Find

Find what:- E
Replace with:- 1

HTH
Martin

0
mtmw (348)
2/23/2007 6:40:22 AM
John

Do NOT multipost. See your answer in Excel group.
And do a google search for newsgroup etiquette!!

0
mtmw (348)
2/23/2007 6:46:46 AM
John

Do NOT multipost. See your answer in Excel group.
And do a google search for newsgroup etiquette!!

0
mtmw (348)
2/23/2007 6:47:10 AM
John

Do NOT multipost. See your answer in Excel group.
And do a google search for newsgroup etiquette!!

0
mtmw (348)
2/23/2007 6:47:58 AM
John

Do NOT multipost. See your answer in Excel group.
And do a google search for newsgroup etiquette!!
0
MartinW (10)
2/23/2007 6:57:00 AM
John

Do NOT multipost. See your answer in Excel group.
And do a google search for newsgroup etiquette!!
0
MartinW (10)
2/23/2007 6:58:02 AM
Martin,

Thank you very much for your tip. It was very helpful. I also found out that
you could highlight cells with the same number and hit control>>enter.

As for my double posting, I didn't know that was such a breach of newsgroup
etiquette. Sorry. While we're on the subject, did I do anything else that
was a violation of newsgroup protocol?

John

"John" <someone@someplace.invalid> wrote in message
> Hi. I'm trying to change the E's I have entered in a column to 1's.
> However, in lieu of changing them one by one, I would like to do them all
> in one fell swoop. Any suggestions?
>
> John

 While we're on the subject, did I do anything else that
> was a violation of newsgroup protocol?

No you didn't John all though I probably did in my reply to
you, something went haywire with posts fying all over the
place.

Anyway the reason that multiposting is frowned upon is that
people can can often waste time trying to answer a question that
has already been answered in another group. Maybe not such
a big deal for easy questions with simple solutions but can
be very frustrating for someone who spends half an hour
on a complex problem only to find that the problem has been
solved in another group.

Regards
Martin

0
mtmw (348)
2/23/2007 7:17:10 AM
Martin,

Okay, I'll try to avoid that from now on.

John

On 23 Feb., 07:32, "John" <some...@someplace.invalid> wrote:
> Hi. I'm trying to change the E's I have entered in a column to 1's. However,
> in lieu of changing them one by one, I would like to do them all in one fell
> swoop. Any suggestions?
>
> John

Hi John,

You could highlight the array of your E's and goto Edit -> Replace

Regards,
Bondi

0
mbondorff (49)
2/23/2007 8:36:35 AM
John

You can use Edit>Replace on the column (and can match the specific
case if required ie replace "E" but not "e"):

Find What:= "E"
Replace With:=1

and click Replace All.

Hope this helps!

Richard

On 23 Feb, 06:32, "John" <some...@someplace.invalid> wrote:
> Hi. I'm trying to change the E's I have entered in a column to 1's. However,
> in lieu of changing them one by one, I would like to do them all in one fell
> swoop. Any suggestions?
>
> John

Have you tried Find / Replace?

Select your range and then find E's, replace with 1's.

--

Damon Longworth

2007 East Coast Excel / Access User Conference
April 18-20, 2007   - Providing Microsoft Excel training and Microsoft Excel
Classes
Atlantic City, New Jersey
www.ExcelUserConference.com/ECEUC.html

"John" <someone@someplace.invalid> wrote in message
Hi. I'm trying to change the E's I have entered in a column to 1's. However,
in lieu of changing them one by one, I would like to do them all in one fell
swoop. Any suggestions?

John

Your original message (sent to 5 newsgroups with the followup set to this one)
was actually crossposted.  Multiposting means that you sent the same/equivalent
message to each group separately.

Multiposting is a serious breach <vbg> of newsgroup ettiquette.

Crossposting isn't seen as a problem -- if it's required.  But in most cases
with pure excel questions, it's very rarely necessary.  Pick the appropriate
newsgroup and just post once.

--

Dave Peterson
0

You can perform a Find/Replace All.  Ctrl-F on your keyboard.

Regards,
Eddie
http://HelpExcel.com

0
ed5274 (22)
2/23/2007 2:23:22 PM
Martin

You are not the newsgroup police. Multi-posting, while annoying, is
sometimes the best way to get the right answer. If you don't like it, don't
read it.

And by the way, you posted this response twice, so follow your own rules.

"John" <someone@someplace.invalid> wrote in message
> Hi. I'm trying to change the E's I have entered in a column to 1's.
> However, in lieu of changing them one by one, I would like to do them all
> in one fell swoop. Any suggestions?
>
> John

0
edit (6)
2/23/2007 4:15:19 PM
I disagree with the statement that multiposting is sometimes the best way to get
the right answer.  It just irritates the regular readers and may even make it so
that no followup improvements are offered by those irritated readers.

Crossposting could be useful under some circumstances.  I don't think
multiposting is ever the best way.

--

Dave Peterson
0
John wrote:
> Hi. I'm trying to change the E's I have entered in a column to 1's. However,
> in lieu of changing them one by one, I would like to do them all in one fell
> swoop. Any suggestions?
>
> John

And don't post twice like MartinW :-)

gls858
0
gls858 (460)
2/23/2007 9:06:46 PM
On Feb 23, 12:32 am, "John" <some...@someplace.invalid> wrote:
> Hi. I'm trying to change the E's I have entered in a column to 1's. However,
> in lieu of changing them one by one, I would like to do them all in one fell
> swoop. Any suggestions?
>
> John

You could use find/replace.

Click edit/find and then click replace. Enter the number/letter to
find and then what to replace it with and then Replace All

0
wx4usa (26)