Getting same number to appear over and again

Hi. I'm trying to change the E's I have entered in a column to 1's. However,
in lieu of changing them one by one, I would like to do them all in one fell
swoop. Any suggestions?

John

excel 39879 articles. 2 followers. Follow

Hi John

You could use find and replace.
Select all of your data. Goto Edit>Find

Find what:- E
Replace with:- 1

HTH
Martin

0
mtmw (348)
2/23/2007 6:40:22 AM
John

Do NOT multipost. See your answer in Excel group.
And do a google search for newsgroup etiquette!!

0
mtmw (348)
2/23/2007 6:46:46 AM
John

Do NOT multipost. See your answer in Excel group.
And do a google search for newsgroup etiquette!!

0
mtmw (348)
2/23/2007 6:47:10 AM
John

Do NOT multipost. See your answer in Excel group.
And do a google search for newsgroup etiquette!!

0
mtmw (348)
2/23/2007 6:47:58 AM
John

Do NOT multipost. See your answer in Excel group.
And do a google search for newsgroup etiquette!!
0
MartinW (10)
2/23/2007 6:57:00 AM
John

Do NOT multipost. See your answer in Excel group.
And do a google search for newsgroup etiquette!!
0
MartinW (10)
2/23/2007 6:58:02 AM
Martin,

Thank you very much for your tip. It was very helpful. I also found out that
you could highlight cells with the same number and hit control>>enter.

As for my double posting, I didn't know that was such a breach of newsgroup
etiquette. Sorry. While we're on the subject, did I do anything else that
was a violation of newsgroup protocol?

John

"John" <someone@someplace.invalid> wrote in message
> Hi. I'm trying to change the E's I have entered in a column to 1's.
> However, in lieu of changing them one by one, I would like to do them all
> in one fell swoop. Any suggestions?
>
> John

 While we're on the subject, did I do anything else that
> was a violation of newsgroup protocol?

No you didn't John all though I probably did in my reply to
you, something went haywire with posts fying all over the
place.

Anyway the reason that multiposting is frowned upon is that
people can can often waste time trying to answer a question that
has already been answered in another group. Maybe not such
a big deal for easy questions with simple solutions but can
be very frustrating for someone who spends half an hour
on a complex problem only to find that the problem has been
solved in another group.

Regards
Martin

0
mtmw (348)
2/23/2007 7:17:10 AM
Martin,

Okay, I'll try to avoid that from now on.

John

On 23 Feb., 07:32, "John" <some...@someplace.invalid> wrote:
> Hi. I'm trying to change the E's I have entered in a column to 1's. However,
> in lieu of changing them one by one, I would like to do them all in one fell
> swoop. Any suggestions?
>
> John

Hi John,

You could highlight the array of your E's and goto Edit -> Replace

Regards,
Bondi

0
mbondorff (49)
2/23/2007 8:36:35 AM
John

You can use Edit>Replace on the column (and can match the specific
case if required ie replace "E" but not "e"):

Find What:= "E"
Replace With:=1

and click Replace All.

Hope this helps!

Richard

On 23 Feb, 06:32, "John" <some...@someplace.invalid> wrote:
> Hi. I'm trying to change the E's I have entered in a column to 1's. However,
> in lieu of changing them one by one, I would like to do them all in one fell
> swoop. Any suggestions?
>
> John

Have you tried Find / Replace?

Select your range and then find E's, replace with 1's.

--

Damon Longworth

2007 East Coast Excel / Access User Conference
April 18-20, 2007   - Providing Microsoft Excel training and Microsoft Excel
Classes
Atlantic City, New Jersey
www.ExcelUserConference.com/ECEUC.html

"John" <someone@someplace.invalid> wrote in message
Hi. I'm trying to change the E's I have entered in a column to 1's. However,
in lieu of changing them one by one, I would like to do them all in one fell
swoop. Any suggestions?

John

Your original message (sent to 5 newsgroups with the followup set to this one)
was actually crossposted.  Multiposting means that you sent the same/equivalent
message to each group separately.

Multiposting is a serious breach <vbg> of newsgroup ettiquette.

Crossposting isn't seen as a problem -- if it's required.  But in most cases
with pure excel questions, it's very rarely necessary.  Pick the appropriate
newsgroup and just post once.

--

Dave Peterson
0

You can perform a Find/Replace All.  Ctrl-F on your keyboard.

Regards,
Eddie
http://HelpExcel.com

0
ed5274 (22)
2/23/2007 2:23:22 PM
Martin

You are not the newsgroup police. Multi-posting, while annoying, is
sometimes the best way to get the right answer. If you don't like it, don't
read it.

And by the way, you posted this response twice, so follow your own rules.

"John" <someone@someplace.invalid> wrote in message
> Hi. I'm trying to change the E's I have entered in a column to 1's.
> However, in lieu of changing them one by one, I would like to do them all
> in one fell swoop. Any suggestions?
>
> John

0
edit (6)
2/23/2007 4:15:19 PM
I disagree with the statement that multiposting is sometimes the best way to get
the right answer.  It just irritates the regular readers and may even make it so
that no followup improvements are offered by those irritated readers.

Crossposting could be useful under some circumstances.  I don't think
multiposting is ever the best way.

--

Dave Peterson
0
John wrote:
> Hi. I'm trying to change the E's I have entered in a column to 1's. However,
> in lieu of changing them one by one, I would like to do them all in one fell
> swoop. Any suggestions?
>
> John

And don't post twice like MartinW :-)

gls858
0
gls858 (460)
2/23/2007 9:06:46 PM
On Feb 23, 12:32 am, "John" <some...@someplace.invalid> wrote:
> Hi. I'm trying to change the E's I have entered in a column to 1's. However,
> in lieu of changing them one by one, I would like to do them all in one fell
> swoop. Any suggestions?
>
> John

You could use find/replace.

Click edit/find and then click replace. Enter the number/letter to
find and then what to replace it with and then Replace All

0
wx4usa (26)

Click in cell w/ formula and get colors in referenced cells
Hi, When you click in a cell with a formula, Excel will then put color around the cells that are referenced. Somehow I turned that feature off. Now I do not get colors in th other cells. Where is that option to turn it back on???? I've looke and looked but I just can't find that option. Thanks for the help -- albea ----------------------------------------------------------------------- albean's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php?action=getinfo&userid=2875 View this thread: http://www.excelforum.com/showthread.php?threadid=48436 ...

Excel
Is there a way to change an imported number such as: 7042626598 and display it as a phone number like: (704) 262-6598 ? Thank you, Be -- Message posted from http://www.ExcelForum.com Ben, Yes you can format the cells containing the 10 digit number to a phone number. Highlight all the required cell and on the Main menu choose Format/Cells/Number/Special/Phone Number Charlie O'Neill >-----Original Message----- >Is there a way to change an imported number such as: > >7042626598 and display it as a phone number like: > >(704) 262-6598 > >? > > >...

Miscellaneous words appear in Excel 2002 cells
I am working on an Excell 2002 workbook and when I put my cursor in a cell , spurious words get entered into the cell e.g. "and thee the and ...." is one example. I have cable modem and it feels like "someone" has taken control of my PC - by the way I have also noticed this hapening in MS Word but is not as bad as Excel - can some one help. thanks KK Have you enabled speech tools? Click Tools / Speech and examine your options. /i. "KK" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:061d01c39d1c$36fc85f0$a601280a@phx.gbl... > I am w...

Getting Mailbox Sizes in 5.5
This is a multi-part message in MIME format. ------=_NextPart_000_000C_01C66CFC.93298CD0 Content-Type: text/plain; charset="iso-8859-1" Content-Transfer-Encoding: quoted-printable Working on an Exchange 5.5 to 2K3 migration. Is there any easy way to = get a list of mailboxes with their sizes from the Exchange 5.5 = directory? I know I can use System Admin to see each server and then = export the list, but is there a way to this, maybe with a script so I = don't have to export the list from each server separately? Thanks. Jerry ------=_NextPart_000_000C_01C66CFC.93298CD0 Co...

How do I make numbers become text?
I am trying to create a spreadsheet where numbers entered in one location become text in another. I tried the Help option, but I am still lost. Please help, and thank you. From earlier postings: How to Convert a Numeric Value into English Words http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=KB;EN- US;140704& and: (courtesy of a cut and paste from a Tom Ogilvy post): If you want an addin that provides a worksheet function that does this, download Laurent Longre's free morefunc.xll addin found here: http://longre.free.fr/english/ It is downloaded in a zip file which also conta...

How do I get a scrollbar in a textfield
Is it possible to make a scrollbar in a textfield in publisher 2003. If the answer is Yes, than my question is: How? If the answer is No, than can you tell me if there is an alternative to show lots of text with use of an scrollbar. jebe wrote: > Is it possible to make a scrollbar in a textfield in publisher 2003. If the > answer is Yes, than my question is: How? If the answer is No, than can you > tell me if there is an alternative to show lots of text with use of an > scrollbar. Publisher is primarily designed for creating documents to be read on a printed page. Obviousl...

Getting rid of #DIV/0! #2
Does anybody know a quick way of getting rid of the error message #DIV/0!. Like a way to change it into just 0 or something? Thanks Erin Here are some typical ways.... For values in A1 and B1 Different ways depending on your anticipated values.... C1: =IF(B1<>0,A1/B1,0) OR C1: =IF(N(B1)<>0,A1/B1,0) OR C1: =IF(ISERROR(A1/B1),0,A1/B1) Is that something you can work with? *********** Regards, Ron XL2002, WinXP "erin" wrote: > Does anybody know a quick way of getting rid of the error message > #DIV/0!. Like a way to change it into just 0 or something? Than...

Item level revision numbers on POs
The Item Engineering info on inventory items in manufacturing includes revision numbers for items, however because that info is in the manufacturing dictionary we can't include through report writer on POs. I'd like to develop a routine that would copy the revision number from the item engineering table to one of the user-defined tables in inventory. Any suggestions on how to do that? Or an alternate approach to the problem? -- Jim@TurboChef Jim- This script will put the current Rev level from Item Engineering into User Category 1 on the item master. update iv00101 set usca...

Newbie question, can't get a handle on the handles <g> ... ?
How do we manipulate text that needs to flow to another box, i.e., when working in two columns and we need text to flow to a third, how do we do this? I'm sorry for such a simple question, but I've looked through the help and on the web and I think it's because I don't know what it's called. Anyhoo, pls advise! Tx. Whilst attempting to develop brick-based storage technology, Ed reads a message from Dylan56 <No@SpamAtAll.com> > How do we manipulate text that needs to flow to another box, i.e., > when working in two columns and we need text to flow to a third,...

error numbers
Does anyone know if microsoft has a way to look up errors and their resolution by ERROR NUMBER? I have never found anything like that. Now they have something called "Events and Errors Message Center" but even that doesn't appear to let one look up errors by error number! Thanks Hi, Fredrated schrieb: > Does anyone know if microsoft has a way to look up errors and their > resolution by ERROR NUMBER? > > I have never found anything like that. Now they have something called > "Events and Errors Message Center" but even that doesn't appear to...

How to get http response after post
Hi everyone, My pseudo code and question are folowing: //Code_Start void CTryDlg::OnStart3() { CFile f; DWORD dwStatus; DWORD dwBuffLen = sizeof(dwStatus); BOOL bSuccess; CHttpConnection *cn; CHttpFile *httpf; CString strSentence,strGetSentence; CString strHttpName = "http://www.eee.com/login.asp"; char opt[] = "UserName=uuu&Password=ppp"; CString strHeaders = "Content-Type: application/x-www-form-urlencoded\r\n"; CInternetSession session("IE 5.0"); try { cn = session.GetHttpConnection("www.dailygraphs.com",0,INTERNET_DEFAULT...

Conver Numbers to Log 10
How do I convert column of numbers (n=3000) to log 10 column of numbers? Assuming that your column is column A, one way: In an unused column, enter =LOG(A1) and copy down 3000 cells. Copy the column, choose column A and choose Edit/Paste Special, selecting the Values radio button. In article <0CDE6301-FC9C-488C-9D9F-3AD26B46EFCE@microsoft.com>, "Fishfan" <Fishfan@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote: > How do I convert column of numbers (n=3000) to log 10 column of numbers? ...

What is the maximum number of users that can share Excel File?
According to the Excel Help file, all users on your network, unless you restrict the number. "pfine" wrote: > ...

can't get pc to hibernate
I have windows XP sp2, Sometimes in hibernation mode the shut down process gets as far as "preparing to hibernate" and then the screen freezes. I then have to use the on-off button to close the pc. Can anyone help in rectifying this problem? I can copy the system information details to here if that will help. -- laurence withau Laurence, check out this Excellent Shutdown Troubleshooter http://www.aumha.org/win5/a/shtdwnxp.php "laurence withau" <laurencewithau@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:E97F9CA4-E8BA-41D3-81...

lookup row number
Hi, can you tell me how to lookup the row number of a name in a list. EG say I have a list of names as below: Andrew Mike Steve Ian Paul I would normally just add a column with the row numbers and then lookup the row number in the second column but is it possible to do without adding the extra column by using the row formula someohow? Thanks Hi Michael Try the below.. =MATCH("Mike",A:A,0) -- Jacob (MVP - Excel) "Michael" wrote: > Hi, > can you tell me how to lookup the row number of a name in a list. > > EG say I hav...

name appearing in the outgoing mail
Version: 2008 Operating System: Mac OS X 10.6 (Snow Leopard) Processor: Intel Email Client: pop I would like to change the way the name in each of my accounts shows up in sent emails. I have changed the account settings but the old name still shows up. Any suggestions? <br> Thanks. On 2010-05-04 16:45:26 -0400, Bila@officeformac.com said: > I would like to change the way the name in each of my accounts shows up > in sent emails. I have changed the account settings but the old name > still shows up. Any suggestions? Well if you have indeed changed the name prop...

Maximum number of bits
I have a requirement to find the maximum number of consecutive zeros in a row in a 32 bit binary number. For example 1111 1111 1111 1000 1111 1111 0000 1111 = 4 1111 1110 1111 1110 1111 1111 1110 1111 = 1 I am actually storing the number in a BIGINT for simplicity. I can do this in a udf with a look fairly easily but was wondering if there is something more sql that will do the job. Cheers, Michael That's an interesting question. Does it include leading zeroes? 0000 0000 0111 1000 1111 1111 0000 1111 = 9? -- Thanks Michael Coles SQL Server MVP ...

can one cell contain more than one independent number
A cell can contain several numbers, separated by space characters or line breaks (Alt+Enter). However, if you want to perform calculations on the numbers, it's best to keep them in separate cells. John K wrote: -- Debra Dalgleish Excel FAQ, Tips & Book List http://www.contextures.com/tiptech.html there's also the option a using matrix formula (list of data) for example you may enter ={1;2;3} in a single cell or selection 'and validate wih CTRL+SHIFT+ENTER but the manipulation of this kinda of formula need to read more about it... ...

finding common numbers in large lists
Hello, I have two large lists of numbers (on two seperate worksheets). By large, I mean that one list is 1000+ numbers, and the second list is 3000+ numbers (each number is in its own cell). The numbers are of the form: xxxx.xxx (that is, they are precise up to three places after the decimal) 1) Is there some quick way that I can find the numbers that are common to both lists? 2) Is there a way I can find the numbers in common to both lists using only the whole number portion (diregarding what comes after the decimal of each number)? Thanks! Hi see: http://www.cpearson.com/excel/duplic...

creating a multilevel numbering sysem
I'm trying to create a multileve numbering system ex: 100, 100.1, 100.1.1, 100.2, 200, 200.1, 2001.1, 200.2, and so on. I would like to have at least 3-4 tiers under each number that would automatically number. And you want this in Publisher? I don't think so... -- Mary Sauer MSFT MVP http://office.microsoft.com/ http://msauer.mvps.org/ news://msnews.microsoft.com "v" <v@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:C1F59342-9F2F-4E91-BE27-0BA992EB17BE@microsoft.com... > I'm trying to create a multileve numbering system > ex: 100, 100.1, 100.1.1, ...

extracting numbers from a text field and applying formula
here's my question... i have a cell that has a text field of this type: '9-19' (a-b) I want to create a formula that will subtract 19-9 (b-a) and return the result as a number// can anyone help?! is this even doable? I'd really appreciate it! PS also, i'm very fairly new at excel so a detailed response with th formula would really help! ALe ----------------------------------------------- ~~ Message posted from http://www.ExcelTip.com ~~View and post usenet messages directly from http://www.ExcelForum.com Try: =MID(A1,FIND("-",A1)+1,99)-LEFT(A1,FIND("...

Fill Form And Get $5000 To Your Home.
Fill Form And Get $5000 To Your Home At http://ukcitygirls.co.cc Due to high security risks,i have hidden the cheque link in an image. in that website on left side below search box, click on image and enter your name and address where you want to receive your cheque. please don't tell to anyone. ...

Imported Numbers not recognized as numbers
Hi there -- I've seen this problem posted a lot before, however haven't yet seen a solution posted that works for my situation. This applies to Office XP... So I copy a column of data (numbers) from a website and paste it int Excel, but the numbers are not recognized as numeric values (can't su them, etc.) I have tried all of the "easy" solutions -- changing their format t general or number, copying a 1 from another cell in a clean workboo and using the paste special/multiply (or a 0 and paste special/add function...I've tried the text to columns thing -- basicall...

Formating, paragraph marks, boxes etc, how do I get rid of them?
One day I opened up excel and it had all these marks for formating in my form. This also happened in word. How do I get rid of them? Josh: In Word, paragraph marks can be turned on/off by clicking the paragraph icon (looks like a capital P but with two, vertical strokes instead of one). I just finished wandering through Excel 2000 looking for the same icon and the only mention of the paragraph mark is related to object linking and embedding. I've also done a lot of forms in Excel and don't remember ever running into paragraph marks. Are you using OLE in the spreadsheet...

how do i subtract one date from another and get an age in years
i am trying to subtract a date of birth from today's date and get an age in years. Can anyone help me? http://www.cpearson.com/excel/datedif.htm -- Kind Regards, Niek Otten Microsoft MVP - Excel "ucastores" <ucastores@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:FE331F27-C314-42D4-A390-9DA97E0E493D@microsoft.com... >i am trying to subtract a date of birth from today's date and get an age in > years. Can anyone help me? > Hi see: http://www.cpearson.com/excel/datedif.htm#Age -- Regards Frank Kabel Frankfurt, Germany "ucastores" &l...