getting data from table using 2 values

from a standard spreadsheet, using a function(?) how can I return a value
from a table using values for the headers and columns. For example, the table
has ages across the top and events done the side. Simply I need to "lookup"
both ages and events to return a value from the cross section of these values.

Any assistance welcome!!

Many thanks
0
MSUser (1)
4/15/2009 5:54:01 PM
excel 39879 articles. 2 followers. Follow

If the range is A1:G100, for example, and age is in H1 and event in H2:
=INDEX(A1:G100,MATCH(H2,A1:A100,0),MATCH(H1,A1:G1,0))
HTH
Bob Umlas
Excel MVP

"MS_user" <MSuser@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> from a standard spreadsheet, using a function(?) how can I return a value
> from a table using values for the headers and columns. For example, the
> table
> has ages across the top and events done the side. Simply I need to
> "lookup"
> both ages and events to return a value from the cross section of these
> values.
>
> Any assistance welcome!!
>
> Many thanks

0