Generating Unicode characters in a cell using formulas

With older multibyte Chinese code sets like Big5, I could
create a large list or table of Chinese characherts by
generating their two components with a formula like

=CHAR(HEX2DEC(LEFT(A5,2)))&CHAR(HEX2DEC(RIGHT(A5,2)))

were the hex code for the character (eg. A440) was in tyhe
target cell A5.

With Unicode, all I get are the two individual characters
that (in Big5 anyway) made up the multi-byte code for a
character.

BTW: In the case above, Big5 A440 is Unicode U+4e00, the
character for "one" δΈ€.

0
grw888 (3)
7/11/2004 7:51:11 PM
excel 39879 articles. 2 followers. Follow

Hi Geoff,
You will have to create a User Defined Function for use on your worksheet

Function CharW(dec As Long) As String
  CharW = ChrW(dec)
End Function

To install see

Unicode, Working with in Excel
  http://www.mvps.org/dmcritchie/rexx/htm/unicode.htm
a larger table is also available, or generate you own

---
HTH,

"Geoff" <grw888@hotmail.com> wrote in message news:PSgIc.13655$oD3.10731@newsread1.news.pas.earthlink.net...
> With older multibyte Chinese code sets like Big5, I could
> create a large list or table of Chinese characherts by
> generating their two components with a formula like
>
> =CHAR(HEX2DEC(LEFT(A5,2)))&CHAR(HEX2DEC(RIGHT(A5,2)))
>
> were the hex code for the character (eg. A440) was in tyhe
> target cell A5.
>
> With Unicode, all I get are the two individual characters
> that (in Big5 anyway) made up the multi-byte code for a
> character.
>
> BTW: In the case above, Big5 A440 is Unicode U+4e00, the
> character for "one" ?.

0
dmcritchie (2586)

QSrule for generating Journal
Is there any way that I can generate Journals with QSrule or any programmatical way? Thank you in advance.. ...

Sum formula that will stay constant when the data is deleted
What I am trying to do is have a cell that has a basic sum function and the data coming from different cells and when this data is erased, the sum function total will remain. Basicall I have an input box that each person inputs the number of items they receive throughout the day and I would like this to be changed daily but the total from the previous day remain in cell A1 for example. Thanks in advance for the help. Todd There may be other methods, but i've solved this problem with a macro. 1st put a date in the same row as your data you want to keep. Then, create a macro...

Available to use
Hello, Im trying to create a quiz system that allows users to log in and take a quiz. However there are two users of the system, lecturers and students. What I need help with is I want to make a page on my slide to allow a lecturer to make content avaiable. For instance If the lecturer logs in they are taken to a page with two buttons on it saying log out or make slides avaiable. Then if a student logs in, depending if the presentation is avaiable they are taken to the quiz, if it is not avaiable a message pops up and telling them it is unvaiable and they are taken to the login ...

Populate Chart/Graph Using Report Fields
Group: I have a graph that was created from a query which pulls from linked tables with ODBC. When I create a report, everything populates correctly in about 10 seconds, but when I try to create a graph using the same query, Access runs basically forever (over an hour) until I hit <Ctrl><Break>. The issue seems to be with Microsoft's graph object and ODBC, so my thinking is if I can create a graph utilizing the text boxes in a report, then there won't be a link between the graph and ODBC, only the graph and the report fields. Then I could make the text boxes invisible. My ...

Truncate / Substitute Formulas
Is there a formula that removes everything except numbers from a cell? For example, if a cell contained the text FW345A-A the formula would return the value 345. I got it to somewhat work using SUBSTITUTE on top of itself, but there seems to be a limit in the number of characters you can add to the string. It won't let you add all 26 letters and the dash. >FW345A-A Are the numbers to extract *ALWAYS* together? Will there ever be strings like this: F5W345A-1 1-FW345A-A FW34A5A-A -- Biff Microsoft Excel MVP "Jason W" <Jason W@discussions.mic...

Colour cells
Is there a formula which will colour cells.(Not conditional format) want to say that if cell A1 = B1 then cell f12 will turn green. Possible -- colinfraser@prosealuk.co ----------------------------------------------------------------------- colinfraser@prosealuk.com's Profile: http://www.officehelp.in/member.php?userid=523 View this thread: http://www.officehelp.in/showthread.php?t=128347 Posted from - http://www.officehelp.i If you don't want to use Conditional Formatting because for example you are already using it and have exceeded the 3 formats limit, then you will have to g...

Help with cell references, please
TIA I have an application that logs multiple data points at one minute intervals and writes them to a file every 24 hrs. - thus I get a file with "n" number of columns and 1440 rows of numbers every day. The file names are of the form 20040113 corresponding to the date. I now need to go back thru 90 days of these files, single out a particular column of interest, take an average of those 1440 numbers and populate another worksheet with those averages so I can chart 90 days of them. I think I need to use a for-next loop to increment both the date and the averages-worksheet ...

Partially hidden Excel formula bar
In Mac OS 10.5, Excel 2008 won't show a complete formula bar. The left side is cut off. I've tried adjusting my display settings, deleting plist files, and uninstalling/reinstalling Office 2008. IF I log in as another user, I get a clear view of the whole formula bar. Any help with this will be greatly appreciated. Thx. In article <65B2FAAD-8DD3-4D0C-8AF6-DC5EF62C71E6@microsoft.com>, Eqbal00 <Eqbal00@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote: > In Mac OS 10.5, Excel 2008 won't show a complete formula bar. The left side > is cut off. I've tried ad...

using for-next index in range variable
MSDN seems to say that range values must be written in the A1 format. I need to compare a value in column D (sample IDs) of worksheet import and compare it to column A (location) of worksheet data. If the values are equal I need to set a cell in worksheet data equal to the sum of columns I:M in the same row that the sample ID = the location. Will something like this work: If worksheet(import).cell[D"i"] = worksheet(data).cell[A"j"] then worksheet(data).cell[k,j] = sum(worksheet(import).[I"i":M"i"] Is there a different, perhaps easier way to do this? ...

2 value formula help needed
Hi All Sorry new to this, and am fairly ok on excel but having problems figuring this one out I have some values that i want to total and show and additional currency + total. So as an example Cell A1 A2 A3 A4 (this is how I want it to look) 500.00 600.00 AUD 750.00 1100.00+AUD 750.00 can i do this and how ? thank you just realised i have posted this in access instead of excel - sorry karenp wrote: >Hi All > >Sorry new to this, and am fairly ok on excel but having proble...

Merged Cell Check
Hi, I currently have a series of merged cells which I want to be checked for population before allowing the user to the send the s/sheet off. I'm currently using : For Each Name In Range("mandatory_fields") If Name.Value = "" Then etc.... However, say for example i have a merged cell of h12:o12 called "mandatory_fields". The macro counts them as individual cells so even when populated, it can never be validated - wants cell I12 to be populated etc... This make sense to anyone? ------------------------------------------------ ~~ Message posted from ht...

using groups
Is there a way to group clients into a group and be able to assign tasks to the gourp? Not without developing custom code using the SDK. Matt Parks MVP - Microsoft CRM ---------------------------------------- ---------------------------------------- On Fri, 19 Aug 2005 16:34:28 -0500, "News Reader" <nospam@email.com> wrote: Is there a way to group clients into a group and be able to assign tasks to the gourp? There is not an ACT-like feature where each user can group contacts into any group they like. The best way to simulate this feature is to add a custom field ...

Formula Guidance Requested
Folks, I'm baffled as to which formulas to use to perform these calculations: I have a sheet with three columns: A = Customer Number B = Number of Users C = Total Monthly Fee There are 700+ rows of data. The values in A will range from 1-500. I've created a table on another sheet that segments the above data into groups that I assign. The table looks like this: B = Group (Alpha identifier for group) C = starting number in range (ex. 1) E = ending number in range (ex. 3) This table has 9 rows (6:14) with each row representing a different range (ex. 1-3, 4-6, 7-10, 11-25, etc.) F...

COPY the content of a cell AS IS.
Hi all, is there any functions (I guess Text related) that can copy the conten of a cell as is? in other words, say I have cell A1 with the content of a man dance with his wife in chicago, my home town and A2 has: =REPLACE(A1,30,8,"Miami") if I drag B2 to B10 the result will be Miami (b2-b10). I would like t COPY the sentence: a man dance with his wife in Miami, my home town AS IS. meaning n formula just the text in cell A2. is there's a way doing it? thank -- xianwinwi ----------------------------------------------------------------------- xianwinwin's Profile: http:...

Setting number in cell back to zero
Hi ! I asked this before and got no real answer so here goes again ----A----B----C 1............0 B1 is where I want to enter a number lets say 5 - 2 - 3............0 B3 is where I would like the answer total to be So if I enter the 5 in B1 and press enter the 5 will show in B3 I would like B1 to return to 0 (zero) while still keeping the 5 in B3 When the next number is entered into B1 say a 4 and enter is pressed B3 would add the 5 that is already in B3 to B1 and give an answer of 9 in B3 returning B1 to 0 (zero) Adding the numbers is simple but ...

Question about C# classes generated from a .xsd via xsd.exe in VS 2003
I have a schema that has been in existence over 1 year. I have been making a few minor modifications to it recently and suddenly the generated C# classes have made a radical change. I have just compared the xsd source to the last compiled version on 8/25/06 and they are identical, yet the generated C# is different. I do not know enough about XSD and schemas to understand how the original output was generated, but I need to get it back. I am showing an excerpt from the schema and the old and new generated C# class. <xs:complexType name="ListenerItem"> <xs:sequence>...

Outlook 2003 not filtering spam when rules are used
I have 4 email accounts that I have come into outlook. My primary one comes to the inbox, and the other three have folders they go to. I used rules to set this up. I have the folders set up as subfolders to my inbox. The spam filter works great on my one account that comes directly to my inbox. However, the spam filter doesn't work on the other accounts that go to my different folders. Any ideas why? Is there a place in outlook that I can control the spam filter options? Thanks- Carl Sundermann carlsunder@hotmail.com Oh! [M.I.] Ester ha trovato una bottiglia con dentro un messa...

How to determine which CD was used for a given installation?
I have 5 networked Macs and 5 copies of Office v.X. One Mac has to be wiped & reinstalled. How can I tell which of the 5 copies was installed (prior to the wipe) on this particular Mac? The "Product Code" that appears in the 'About' window does not appear to match any codes found on the packaging -- even the formats are wildly different. Trial and Error is not a good option. Any thoughts? If you don't get a better answer, you can do Trial and Error without removing and reinstalling: http://www.mcgimpsey.com/macoffice/office/pid.html DM "Brian Leahy"...

How to display cell values in wordarts?
I try to input formula in a wordart, but nothing happen! Excel regard it as text. Is there any way to using formula and display cell values in wordarts? Hi AFAIK this is not possible -- Regards Frank Kabel Frankfurt, Germany Anderson Lee wrote: > I try to input formula in a wordart, but nothing happen! Excel regard > it as text. Is there any way to using formula and display cell values > in wordarts? Please download and try AddinTools Create from http://www.addintools.com. This add-in tool make you using formula and cell reference in Excel object: diagram, autoshape, worda...

Possible to use pivot table on non-mumeric fact data without calculating?
Hi, does anybody know if it is possible to use a pivot table and not do any calculation on the fact data? I have a flat table in my Orace DB and just want to use Excel's pivot table to transform the data into columns (X axis) and rows (Y axis) displaying the non-numeric fact data. The combination of X- and Y-dimension data is unique. My fact data is a 1-letter alphanumeric code encoding various options for the X- and Y-dimension data with the letters O, M, A and G. To work arround I decode the alphanumeric code into 1-digit numbers 0,1,2,3 and use "maximum" as formula for the p...

Lookup formula returning same value for multiple lookup values
I am using a formula to retrieve information from one worksheet to another. To simplify my issue, see if you can understand the example below: 1. Open a new worksheet 2. In Column A, enter the numbers 1 thru 9 down the column 3. In Column B, enter the numbers A thru I down the column 4. In Column F, list the following numbers down the column: 5, 9, 4, 12, 6, 7, 22, 3, 450 5. In Column G, enter the formula: =LOOKUP(F1,$A$1:$A$9,$B$1:$B$9) 6. Copy the formula down and look at the results. For the values 12, 22 and 450, the logic should have failed, but returns the bottom-most value from the ...

Searching for text within cells
I want to create an IF statement that does something like this: (Formula in cell B1) - IF A1 contains "red" then return "red", else if A1 contains "blue", return "blue", else if A1 contains "black" return "black" else .... and so on. I realise I have a 7 nested if limit. Can anyone help? TIA, Alan Well. The way you stated it =a1 would do it. -- Don Guillett SalesAid Software donaldb@281.com "Alan" <me@here.now> wrote in message news:Xns951061569AB0Dmeherenow@207.35.177.135... > I want to create an IF statem...

Select multiple adjacent cells of multiple cells without selecting
Select multiple adjacent cells of multiple cells without selecting adjacent cells one by one. those cells looks like; |Column A1 |Column A2| |random characters | A | |sjsjsjsjskkskskskk | B | |wtwuwuwuuusisis | A | |wuuuuusiwuwuwiu| A | |euuuuuuuuuuuuuuu| B | I am trying to select A1 cells that's adjacent of A2 cells without selecting A1 cells one by one. Thank you for your help. I am trying to select A1 cells that's adjacent of "B" cells without selecting A1 cells one by one > I...

retricting web query results to number of characters...
I have a web query that pulls a large string of data. Is there any way that I can adjust my query to only pull the first 10 characters (left) of the table? I don't think so. But, you can import your data and then use a formula or macro to get the left(yourcell,10) -- Don Guillett Microsoft MVP Excel SalesAid Software dguillett1@austin.rr.com "J.W. Aldridge" <jeremy.w.aldridge@gmail.com> wrote in message news:1191072144.798391.52580@50g2000hsm.googlegroups.com... >I have a web query that pulls a large string of data. > Is there any way that I can adjust my query...

Would like cell data to be more editable and work with formula
The Microsoft Excel spreadsheet that I am using has three fields of data in each cell in column b. A sample cell looks like this: Year: 2008 Once you click it, you see more information: Year: 2008 Model: 1234 Quantity: 5 Each cell in cell B mentioned above, has to match up with a code in column a. For example, the cell above would match this value in column a: basic The way they have each cell in column B, you have to click on the cell to get all the data. It is difficult to get to the "quantity" amount (you can't use the arrow keys). Maybe the cell has been merged to get a...