function udf with date and time

Hi,

How can I program a udf function that counts the hours between two
times knowing that they can occur on the same day or in several days.
Example:

Start 1/1/2009 10:30
End  1/2/2009 9:30

The function should calculate 23 hours, also minutes

Thanks guys
excel 39879 articles. 2 followers. Follow

> How can I program a udf function that counts the hours between two
> times knowing that they can occur on the same day or in several days.

See Chip's page for examples:
http://www.cpearson.com/excel/DateTimeWS.htm
0
Kevin
12/17/2009 12:45:14 AM
Do you really need a UDF for that? If the start date and time is in A1
and B1 and the end date and time in A2 and B2, then the following will
give you the elapsed (decimal) hours:

=3D(A2-A1+B1-B2)*24

Format the cell as number with 2dp. Note that an answer of 16.25, for
example, will mean 16 hours and 15 minutes.

Hope this helps.

Pete

On Dec 17, 12:13=A0am, 1234 <altachicasauda...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> How can I program a udf function that counts the hours between two
> times knowing that they can occur on the same day or in several days.
> Example:
>
> Start 1/1/2009 10:30
> End =A01/2/2009 9:30
>
> The function should calculate 23 hours, also minutes
>
> Thanks guys

0
Pete_UK
12/17/2009 2:28:37 AM
Sorry, I can see that I have got that a bit mixed up. It should be
this:

=3D(A2-A1+B2-B1)*24

Hope this helps.

Pete

On Dec 17, 2:28=A0am, Pete_UK <pashu...@auditel.net> wrote:
> Do you really need a UDF for that? If the start date and time is in A1
> and B1 and the end date and time in A2 and B2, then the following will
> give you the elapsed (decimal) hours:
>
> =3D(A2-A1+B1-B2)*24
>
> Format the cell as number with 2dp. Note that an answer of 16.25, for
> example, will mean 16 hours and 15 minutes.
>
> Hope this helps.
>
> Pete
>
> On Dec 17, 12:13=A0am, 1234 <altachicasauda...@gmail.com> wrote:
>

> > Hi,
>
> > How can I program a udf function that counts the hours between two
> > times knowing that they can occur on the same day or in several days.
> > Example:
>
> > Start 1/1/2009 10:30
> > End =A01/2/2009 9:30
>
> > The function should calculate 23 hours, also minutes
>
> > Thanks guys- Hide quoted text -

Pete_UK
12/17/2009 9:21:48 AM
Hi,

Yes., I need and UDF function but thank you very much for your
answers.
You're welcome.

Pete

On Dec 17, 12:38=A0pm, 1234 <altachicasauda...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> Yes., I need and UDF function but thank you very much for your
> answers.

0
Pete_UK

Date Formatting when Concantenating

Show a date 30 days out
I have a feild that I would like to show what the date would be in 30 days for a feild with a date in it [Sold Date]. Sold Date feild would be 1 Jan 07 so the feild would show 30 Days later 31 Jan 07. I did =[Sold date]+30 and it did not work Thanks how about dateadd: dateadd("d", 30, [Sold Date]) -- steve. "KAnoe" <KAnoe@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:DE9BDDAE-5C84-4A52-8185-DAB6C3167E7A@microsoft.com... >I have a feild that I would like to show what the date would be in 30 days > for a feild with a date in it [Sold Date]. > ...

Dates in fomula showing as whole number

Run Time error 1004
Hi, I am trying to programmatically copy the text contents of one cell (including formatting) on one worksheet to a merged range on another. I get the error in the title when I run the macro initially... then strangely it works with no error after failing to run it a couple of times. My code is as follows: Application.DisplayAlerts = False Application.ScreenUpdating = False Sheets("admin").Select Range("A2").Select Selection.Copy Sheets("Submission Form").Select Range("D6:G8").Select End With Selecti...

need custom cut and paste functions
Hello, I once wrote here about a problem I had cutting and pasting where columns would turn to "REF!" after a cut and paste. I would work around it by copying, pasting and then manually deleting instead. I thought turning everything in the sheet to absolute references would solve the problem but it didn't so now I am thinking of a different solution. Could someone tell me what I need to do to write my own cut and paste functions which would basically copy the selection and then on a paste it would paste and then delete the original selection from where it was copied from...

Time performance Chart
Greetings. (help) I need to develop a chart that graphically depicts an employees start time and end time each day. This chart would be a bar chart. The bar chart would have days of the month along the bottom, and the side would start at 00:00 at the bottom and end at 24:00 at the top. I need to be able to enter an employees start time and end time and have it charted along the bar. So if the employee started at 07:00 and ended work at 18:00, the chart would show a colored bar that corresponds to the start time and the end time. Also, if an employee came back to work the chart would refl...

Function doesn't run
In my spreadsheet, I have the following function =VLookup(K16, zips, 2) However, instead of returning a result, the function remains in the cell. How do I fix this problem? Format the cell as General and re-enter the formula (F2, ENTER) -- Kind regards, Niek Otten Microsoft MVP - Excel "Justin" <jmeyer@incrementaladvantage.com> wrote in message news:1165596899.059148.31580@80g2000cwy.googlegroups.com... | In my spreadsheet, I have the following function | =VLookup(K16, zips, 2) | However, instead of returning a result, the function remains in the | cell. How do I fix th...

Changing Text Box Size and Location on a form, at run time with Access Xp
Hello All, Is it possible to change the size of the text box (or any other control) on a form at run time, by Drag and drop or resizing borders using the mouse events. (Just like the design mode but the user will use it at run time on form view). Thanks in advance... You should be able to resize in your code if necessary. Me.control.Visible = True Me.control.Height = 1000 Me.control.Width = 1000 Don't forget to set them back when you are done. "Developer" wrote: > Hello All, > Is it possible to change the size of the text box (or any other control) on > a ...

date/time formatting

Time Conversion
I need help in converting time. I am using data from a time clock which currently formats time as 1.5. When I input this data into a cell how can I have it formated to read 1 hour and 30 minutes (1:30) T.I.A. Ed What you could do in an adjacent row or column is format them as Time and then using a formula, divide the input time by 24(hours in a day). >-----Original Message----- >I need help in converting time. I am using data from a time clock which >currently formats time as 1.5. When I input this data into a cell how can I >have it formated to read 1 hour and 30 minut...

Adding a button with a function on protected sheets.
How do i add a button to 'reset/clear' the data on a worksheet that is protected and uses VLookup data (from another worksheet). Everyday this table will have data chosen from combo boxes or manually entered in allowable editable fields and at the end of the day after the files is saved, I need to clear that data for use on the next day. How is this Reset button applied with allowable edit ranges, VLookup data and a protected worksheet? Thanks There's several ways to do this. 1. Instead of straight vlookups, use =IF(ISBLANK(VLOOKUP(....)),"",VLOOKUP(....)) wher...

Today Function
how is this function called in the code? I want to use in in an update query that is coded to a button. thanks Hey Dave, I hope I'm understanding what your asking for but I think this is what you are looking for: Today() HTH, Shane Dave wrote: >how is this function called in the code? >I want to use in in an update query that is coded to a button. > >thanks -- Message posted via AccessMonster.com http://www.accessmonster.com/Uwe/Forums.aspx/access-formscoding/200706/1 Well I think it is either Today() or Date() not sure which and not sure how to use it in the code. I ...

Sum Times
I have four fields on a form to show time. I want a seprate "Total" field to add the time between the first two fields and then add the time between the second two fields. Like this: In LunchOut LunchIn Out Total 6:00am 12:00pm 12:30pm 4:30pm 10 hours The first four fields are stored as medium times. Can someone let me know how to do this? -- Message posted via AccessMonster.com http://www.accessmonster.com/Uwe/Forums.aspx/access-formscoding/200707/1 "ladybug via AccessMonster.com&quo...

time formats #3
I have an Excel sheet with a long list of times spent on various projects. The times should all be in minutes and seconds. The first time reads 2:29 and I know that is accurate, for 2 min, 29 seconds. In the formula bar, it reads, 2:29:00 AM. Another...the cell displays 0:40 and I know that is right, for 40 seconds. But in the formula bar, I see 12:40:00 AM I want numbers, but apparently I am looking at times. I tried changing the format. When I check the format for 2:29, it comes up Custom and says it is hh:mm, not mm:ss. I tried changing it to mm:ss, but that changes the displa...

how can I asign printscreen to a function key or key combination?
My key board has no printscreen key. What can I do? That seems unlikely, but it is hardly a Word issue. The PrtScn button is usually a dual function button somewhere on the top row of your keyboard. If it is not then you need to ask the keyboard manufacturer. -- <>>< ><<> ><<> <>>< ><<> <>>< <>><<> Graham Mayor - Word MVP My web site www.gmayor.com Word MVP web site http://word.mvps.org <>>< ><<> ><<> <>>< ><<> <>>< ...

Winmail takes 4 minutes to load at boot time
Running Windows Vista Home Premium on Lenovo Laptop 2 gig mem. After logging in after rebooting, it takes 4 minutes to load Win mail. I used the "event Viewer" to see what was happening. It showed ESENT with ID 102--start Win mail, then the next event is ESENT ID 103 4 minutes later--terminate Win mail. Anyone have a clue why it is taking Win mail so long to load? Win mail works fine after computer loads. Fred Dwight Fred wrote: > Running Windows Vista Home Premium on Lenovo Laptop 2 gig mem. After > logging in after rebooting, it takes 4 minutes ...

UDF that returns a Hyperlink
Is it possible in Excel 2007 using VBA to create a UDF that returns a hyperlink? Ideally I want a hyperlink where the display name is different to the linked URL. Any ideas? TIA First, if you mean you want the tooltip to show a different address, then I don't think that it's possible. Second, if you meant you want to see something in the cell that isn't the address of the link, then... There's an =hyperlink() worksheet function that may do exactly what you want: =hyperlink("http://www.microsoft.com","Click me!") Third, If you wan...

Taking a loooong time for new mailboxes to appear.
Hello, We have a tool which creates a batch of mailboxes, then logs into each one via MAPI to migrate old messages. Today we ran the tool and mailbox-enabled 300+ mailboxes in one go. Although the Exchange tabs were present and the SMTP address was filled out on each user in ADUC, the mailboxes didn't appear in ESM until about an hour later. How is that possible? Manually running RUS didn't help either. We've got one DC and a separate E2k3 server. Thanks, - Alan. Any RED errors in the event logs on that Exchange box during that time> "Alan" wrote: > Hello, ...

Calculating dates #3
Can anyone tell me what I should use (in the way of helper cells) to take any date (mm/dd/yyyy) and turn it into that same month and day for specific year? For instance, turn... 10/12/2009 into 10/12/2010 and 4/6/1998 into 4/6/2010 I'm trying to determine anniversary date based on start date and do it starting in 2010. TIA -- Jordon Try this: =3DDATE(2010,MONTH(A1),DAY(A1)) Assuming your date is in A1. Hope this helps. Pete On Jan 5, 5:35=A0pm, Jordon <jordon@REMOVE~THISmyrealbox.com> wrote: > Can anyone tell me what I should use (in the way of helper cells) > to tak...