Function to find largest number from a series of numbers?

Is there a function to go across several columns of numbers and pick out the
largest one?  If not, how would I write that function?

thanks to all

Rick

excel 39879 articles. 2 followers. Follow

=MAX(A1:Z1)

--
Regards
              Sys Spec - Win XP Pro /  XL 97/00/02/03

"rs" <r_schiller@REMOVEcomcast.net> wrote in message
> Is there a function to go across several columns of numbers and pick out the
> largest one?  If not, how would I write that function?
>
> thanks to all
>
> Rick

---

ken.wright (2489)
11/4/2004 6:58:34 AM
Just use MAX. Examples:

=MAX(A1:C10)
=MAX(A:C)

functions
I have created a custom function and would like it to be activated from a button on my toolbar. I have tried recording a macro to run the function but this did not work as the define range box was not presented. Thank you very much On Wed, 3 Sep 2003 03:35:40 -0700, "Chrissie Frisbee" <christina.frisbee@morgansindall.co.uk> wrote: >I have created a custom function and would like it to be >activated from a button on my toolbar. I have tried >recording a macro to run the function but this did not >work as the define range box was not presented. You'd ...

Sequential Numbering in Word 2003 and Recycling unused numbers
Once again, I am stuck in Macro world which is quickly consuming me :) It is though, quite addictive and I am determined to win the fight I'm having with my PC. I work for a company which uses network servers so the document needs to be accessed by different people but not necessarily at the same time. We operate Windows XP Word 2003. I am trying to create a document that will open with a sequential number, but if the document is not used or opened accidentally then the number it has generated needs to be recycled for auditing purposes. I seem to be able to get the number t...

Case numbering 01-26-04
I have found the auto numbering in 1.2, but it only lets me change the prefix for the cases "CAS". I need to start my numbering at 3500 instead of 1000. Is there a way to change the starting number? Thanks, Stefanie ...

Excel Left/Right function
The above function will not pull "each single character" from a string. I have text strings up to 27 characters. I want to pull "each character" into a separate column. Is there a function to do this without a macro? My purpose is to delete some characters and use Data Filter on each remaining character. MID =MID(A1,startnum,numcharacters) So, if you want the 15th character and 15th character only... =MID(A1,15,1) Hope this helps. -- John C "ejay" wrote: > The above function will not pull "each single character" from a string. > I have ...

how do Ii remove the grey page numbers in a work sheet
how do Ii remove the grey page numbers in a work sheet Try going to the View menu and unchecking Page Break Preview On Wed, 2 Feb 2005 11:01:08 -0800, "parker1230" <parker1230@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote: >how do Ii remove the grey page numbers in a work sheet You may be in page break preview mode. Go to "View" and select "normal" Regards Bill K "parker1230" <parker1230@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:5A65FC73-CAA0-428D-8ECD-0C2A2E15B799@microsoft.com... > how do Ii remove the grey page numbers in a work she...

How to you selectively sum on a series of numbers?
I have a column filled with numbers, but I only want to sum up a few of them. Let's say I have numbers filling A1:A10. Let's say I only want to sum up the numbers located is A3 and A4. I'd like to ability to enter something in the b column (e.g. "y" in cells b3 and b4) and have a formula that adds up the values in the "A" cells that have a corresponding "y" in the "B" column. This formula would allow me to selectively choose which cells needs to be summed. What is the best/cleanest way to write that formula? Thank you. =SUMPRODUC...

Need help with IF function
I need help writing an IF expression: IF("reference cell is empty", leave blank, otherwise statement) than -- Message posted from http://www.ExcelForum.com =IF(A1="","",Statement -- Message posted from http://www.ExcelForum.com =if(Cell Number="","",Statement) rmo5354 wrote: > *I need help writing an IF expression: > IF("reference cell is empty", leave blank, otherwise statement) > > thanx -- Message posted from http://www.ExcelForum.com To indicate a cell is empty, simply use quotes with nothing in between t...

How do I reduce the number of data points I have??
Hi , I have some 10000 data points from which I need to reduce to something like 100 points before making an xy chart. Typically I would like to make a chart of every 10th point. So basically I need to reduce the length of my two rows. Is there any way I can do this easily?? Any help is highly appreciated. Thanks in advance -- swapan From the Microsoft Charting FAQ: http://pubs.logicalexpressions.com/Pub0009/LPMArticle.asp?ID=209#jon024 - Jon ------- Jon Peltier, Microsoft Excel MVP Peltier Technical Services Tutorials and Custom Solutions http://PeltierTech.com/ _______ ssan...

Passing 2-D array as function parameter.
If I pass a 2-D array ar[4][6] like this: foo(int ar[][6]...); What has been passed? Is it a pointer of whole array? Thanks. if you want to point to whole array you must call foo(ar) and in prototype or definition write foo (int ar[] [6]) and if you want to accsess only one row you must write foo(ar[4]) at calling the function "Frank E Rogers" <syang@pelco.com> wrote in message news:#u9vtA0UEHA.212@TK2MSFTNGP12.phx.gbl... > If I pass a 2-D array ar[4][6] like this: > foo(int ar[][6]...); > What has been passed? Is it a pointer of whole array? > Thanks. > &...

Automatic number fill-in on Labels
Is it possible to have word automatically fill in a series of numbers on Labels. I need a set of labels, counting by fives, from 1 to 3500. Just wishing I didn't have to key in every number....0001-0005, etc. See http://www.gmayor.com/Numbered_labels.htm. -- Stefan Blom Microsoft Word MVP "Bridgett" <Bridgett@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:9D380870-FF28-4227-B724-301AC3EC9A8D@microsoft.com... > Is it possible to have word automatically fill in a series of numbers on > Labels. I need a set of labels, counting by fives, from 1 ...

converting from text to numerical number
I have a spread sheet of entire year schedule. The format as following: 1 2 3 .... 31 row 1 row 2 row 3 Jan row 4 row 5 Feb row x Dec I would like to replace column 1 up to Jan to 1. Replace the cell below Jan to Feb to 2. etc. Would anyone help. Thanks in advance. You could select cells A1:A3, type a 1, then press Ctrl+Enter Select A4:A5, type a 2, and press Ctrl+Enter And so on, till all twelve months are done. james wrote: > I have a spread sheet of entire year schedule. The format as following: > > 1 2 3 .... 31 &...

IF function #11
I have this formula in my worksheet, it keeps returning "-#VALUE!-" =IF(I2:I224="x","",IF(J2:J224="x","",COUNTIF(M2:M224,"ship"))) When I go to "Show calculation steps it shows that the error is in th 'I2:I224' Is it possible to use the "IF" function when including a range of cell such as 'I2:I224' -- KellyMcG0 ----------------------------------------------------------------------- KellyMcG03's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php?action=getinfo&userid=1454 View this thread: http:/...

Series overlap/gap width with VBA
Does anyone know how to set the series overlap and gap width using VBA? Have looked through all the regular reference material (including KB search) and can't find any way to refer to these properties programatically. Thanks! K Dales Hi K, The macro recorder is a good way to discover these properties. It produced this code for me. With ActiveChart.ChartGroups(1) .Overlap = 20 .GapWidth = 50 End With Cheers Andy K Dales wrote: > Does anyone know how to set the series overlap and gap > width using VBA? Have looked through all the regular > ...

Macro: Find matching DATA, copy correspondently values into another list
Okey guys - please advise me on this. (There was unfortunately no quick response to my latest problem - and I begun to swim... However - that brought me out on deep VBA-water...again - and now need a life buoy (metaphorical spoken)). The core of my macro problem is to look for all the values in column A (Range A5:A??) in Sheet "BOARD" (not bored!!!) that match values in another list placed in column A in sheet "LIST". When finding the match I will copy correspondent celle.value in column D / sheet "BOARD" into column B in sheet "LIST" - this w...

How to Find Record if Exists, Add if not?
How to Find Record if Exists, Add if not? I have a form where user will enter the vendor ID, which is a unique ID. They enter it off a long list of information listing many vendors and it's hard to know if the vendorID already exists in the database, until they tab through all the fields and get the duplicate record error. Then they press Esc and do a search on that vendorID to pull up the existing record to update. VendorID format is similar to this A123456789ST (Usees a prefix, Vendor FEIN, State abbrev.) I want to automate this. when they enter the VendorID, I want it to s...

Finding data
Hi all, first post here at these forums :) I have a question/ problem that hopefully someone can answer for me. If anyone has the time, could they have a look at the attachment, i was easier that trying to explain it. But in a nutshell it involve finding data within sheets and totaling them on another sheet. The problem is that in my real world example, I will have 40 sheets and 100 rows of data, so performing it manually is out of th question. cheers, and thanks for your time. Charli +------------------------------------------------------------------- |Filename: help1.zip ...

ADO Find method
I would like to know if there is a way to use the ADO Find method to find one of several values for a single column. See the following example: rstOpenJobProcess.Find "[proc#] = '940' or '941'" I would like to search for proc# '940' or '941'. I want to avoid using a like statement in the criteria (such as [proc#] Like '94*') because I may use '942' for something else in the future that I would not want to search for. Is there a way to use the Find method in this way? Alternatively, is there a clever workaround? Th...

internal support function returned an error
Hello, For some reason, every time I try to send a particular message I get "An internal support function returned an error" warning. Any idea what I can do to fix this problem? -- Thanks, Bob Sorry, I forgot to indicate I am using Outlook 2007 on XPSP2. "BBran" <bbran@nowhere.com> wrote in message news:elIab3XhJHA.760@TK2MSFTNGP03.phx.gbl... > Hello, > > For some reason, every time I try to send a particular message I get "An > internal support function returned an error" warning. Any idea what I can > do to fix this problem? &...

Label of Number in a Range
I have set a high and low range of values with a correponding label, how do I return the label of the range where the data point fits? For example, ColA ColB ColC 5 10 Low 11 20 Medium 21 30 High D1 has the value 13 how do I get E1 to return the label "Medium" Thank you Hi Try: =VLOOKUP(D1,A2:C4,3) -- Andy. "webnntp" <webnntp@yahoo.com> wrote in message news:d1d35423.0405120719.7be94baa@posting.google.com... > I have set a high and low range of values with a correponding label, > how do I return the label of the range where the data point ...

Text Function with Different Formatting for Number
I'm trying to use a text function where I reference a number from another cell but I need the text part to be bold and the number not to be bold. This is the formula I'm using right now: ="Sales: "&TEXT(A16,"$#,##0_);($#,##0)") Unfortunately, excel won't let me just make the text bold without making the number bold. Anyone have any suggestions? Thanks M, I think a macro could do this, since it's really a string you're going to wind up with. But if you can put the Sales: part in a separate cell, life will be much easier anyway. then you ...

Function pointer term does not evaluate to a function
If someone could please help I have tried lots of diffrent things to try and make this work and at this rate will soon be bald I get the following error C2064: term does not evaluate to a function when I compile at line (DB.DbTable[1]->pfnCallBack)(); void CTestConstDlg::SomeFunction(void) { CDB DB; (DB.DbTable[1]->pfnCallBack)(); } class CDB { public: void SerialNum(); CDB(); virtual ~CDB(); typedef union Test { i32 i32Value; u32 u32Value; float rValue; i16 i16Value; d32 d32Value; u8 u8Value...

length of lot number
increase the amount of characters in the lot number field. current field length is not ample space to adequately describe lots in our organization. Length of the item description was increased to 100. In our case, lots are as important as items. ---------------- This post is a suggestion for Microsoft, and Microsoft responds to the suggestions with the most votes. To vote for this suggestion, click the "I Agree" button in the message pane. If you do not see the button, follow this link to open the suggestion in the Microsoft Web-based Newsreader and then click "I Agre...

Converting a number to Hour & Min format
I am attempting to take a basic number, say 2000, and convert the number into an hour and minute format (i.e. 33:33) only. Everytime I use the custom format tab or the time/date tab I get a date included or an AM/PM setting. Any ideas or suggestions? Thanks in advance. Hi, For any number to be converted into time format you need to divide tha number by 24, since Excel time code is 24 (hr) code. then you forma the divided answer (83.33) into time, you will get 8:00 regards sazi -- Message posted from http://www.ExcelForum.com Use Format/Cells/Number/Custom [hh]:mm In article <...

Setting series values on Excel Chart

How do I pass series data x-value range to a chart from a cell?
I have a series on a line chart (x-values "=Sheet1!$A$1:$A$10"). I also have two worksheet cells (B1 & B2) that contain the start and end date for the x-axis of the chart. I want to be able to link the chart series data to the start and end date values so that the chart automatically adjusts when I change the dates in the worksheet cells. I can create a string or address for the x-values but how do I do not know how to pass this to the chart series?? I know I can do this using a macro, but I want to do it without macros so that friends who use MicrosoftCharts (the cheap, n...