Fractions showing up as decimals

I have a spreadsheet with columns of fractions, but when you select a cell
the function bar shows a decimal instead and when you save as text file it
saves as decimal instead of fraction.  Could someone please tell me how to
make it show as a fraction in the function bar? I have tried formatting the
cell as fraction and it does not work that way

Dani
0
Dani (39)
6/29/2006 2:29:02 PM
excel 39879 articles. 2 followers. Follow

Dani

Formatting a number as a fraction like 1/2 or 1/5 is strictly for appearance on
the sheet.

The underlying value is still .5 or .2

The formula bar shows that number and when you save as text file, that is the
number that gets saved, not the fraction you see on the sheet.

Make a copy of the workbook then............

You could add columns and type in the fractions by preceding with an apostrophe.

'1/2    '1/5

Delete the original columns with the numbers and save this version as the text
file.

Gord Dibben  MS Excel MVP

On Thu, 29 Jun 2006 07:29:02 -0700, Dani <Dani@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:

>I have a spreadsheet with columns of fractions, but when you select a cell
>the function bar shows a decimal instead and when you save as text file it
>saves as decimal instead of fraction.  Could someone please tell me how to
>make it show as a fraction in the function bar? I have tried formatting the
>cell as fraction and it does not work that way
>
>Dani

0
Gord

Show decreases and increases
I want to show price increases and price cuts of my competitors by year in a stacked column. For example, company A increased 5% in 2005, 6% in 2006 & took a price cut of 4% in 2007. Is it possible to show the +5, +6, and then -4 all in one column, with each change showing? I was thinking of just trying a transparent autoshape over the column to show the cut, but it doesn't look right. ...

Registers not showing download statements
I've downloaded two statements from Bank of America and Capital One Services to my system. I opened Money, went to the appropriate register, opened it, then went to FILE | IMPORT | selected the correct downloaded statement | clicked IMPORT | and received the message that the import was successful. Returning to the register, it now shows in the left-hand column "Downloaded" that I have 6 items that need to be reviewed, however, there is nothing in the register - nothing was added, nothing is visable. The same problem arose in the other account register where it now sh...

problem with hiding/showing the dialog
hi, I have an MFC dialog based application comprising of 2 dialogs.In the first UI the user is allowed to select images and the count is being displayed.On clicking NEXT the second UI appears. Now the problem is On clicking BACK in the second UI i need the first UI to be dispalyed with the previous state i.e the number of images selected. I have tried using AfxGetApp()->HideApplication() in the OnNext handler and AfxGetMainWnd()->ShowWindow(SW_SHOW) in the OnBack handler.This displays the first UI with the previous state but the whole window is frozen. Can someone please suggest what cou...

How to show query parameters on an Excel page header or worksheet?
Is it possible to display query parameters on a page header or on a worksheet? I have a worksheet that uses a query to retrive data from an ODBC database. The Query prompts for the Start Date and End Date. I would like to be able to print the worksheet and display the Start Date and End Date the user typed in. Thank you for your assistance. ...

Option trades with past expiry dates not showing up in Portfolio M
Hello: Money 2006 Portfolio Manager does not show closed option trades that have expiry dates in the past, even when the "show closed positions" is checked. The transactions are still there in the investment accounts, just not visible in portfolio manager. I just called microsoft support and have notified them of the issue and hope that this issue is fixed as an update. If not, it pretty much makes the portfolio manager (and Microsoft Money 2006) useless for option trading investors. "MumbaiBabu" <MumbaiBabu@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:1...

Problem: Calendars from public folders shows up as "Calendarname in Public folders"
Hello! Is it possible to remove the "in Public folders" text that is appended to all PF-calendar names in Outlook? This is a major problem for our meeting-room staff, that needs to have 15 calendars open at once.. All they see is "in Publ.." on all calendars, instead of the name of the calendar "M1". Also they have to check all calendars in the "Other calendars" box every time they open Outlook. Is it possible to have these calendars checked so they'll be automatically displayed? Thanks! BTW, this is Outlook 2003 and Exchange 2003 ricmik <r...

Outlook users' schedules show free/busy 24/7 to others
I have two Outlook users on Exchange 2003 Server whose schedules show them as busy 24/7 when other users invite them to meetings - their own calendars look fine, account settings and Outlook options look fine. Anybody know what's going on here? Thanks in advance... Silly question, but have you checked their free/busy status? All day = events marked as busy or out of office? --=81 Milly Staples [MVP - Outlook] Post all replies to the group to keep the discussion intact. All unsolicited mail sent to my personal account will be deleted without reading. =20 After furious head scratchi...

Publisher 2003 will not show me any objects on the screen
but they print out just fine. I can move the objects on the screen but I can not see the actual object. Help... Is this a new problem or did you just install Pub on your system? Have you tried updating your video drivers? -- JoAnn Paules MVP Microsoft [Publisher] "Leeper" <Leeper@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:5D9F4A0D-CB93-4550-A318-7CFA63862748@microsoft.com... > but they print out just fine. I can move the objects on the screen but I > can > not see the actual object. > > > Help... JoAnn Paules wrote: > Is this a new p...

Export number without decimals
hI, When I export my data from a query in csv format, one of the fields which has 13 digit numbers diplays decimal places when infact the data in the database does not have any decimals. How can I force this field in my query to format with zero decimals so it exports correctly. Eg. currently doing 1310010010011.00 want to show 1310010010011 Bruce Bruce It might be a bit of a kludge, but you could convert the number to text (CStr()) in a query before exporting the query. -- Regards Jeff Boyce www.InformationFutures.net Microsoft Office/Access MVP http://mvp.support.microsoft.com/...

I get the sound that new mail has come in but then nothing shows
I look in the inbox and there is no new mail, but I get the little sound that indicates something has come in. Could it be going some place I don't know? thanks, bob ...

Exchange 2000 Member server shows up in AD Sites and Services
Our Exchange 2000 server has been demoted from a DC to a member server but still shows up in AD Sites and Services as a server object in its subnet site. Should it still be there or should the server object be removed? I thought only domain controllers should show up. "Hikenboots" <hikenboots@yahoo.com> wrote: >Our Exchange 2000 server has been demoted from a DC to a member server but >still shows up in AD Sites and Services as a server object in its subnet >site. Should it still be there or should the server object be removed? I >thought only domain contro...

in C# how do i transform an xml document with an xsl document when my xml document is a string and my xsl document is a string? the msdn examples only show how to do it with steams and files. in my ca
in C# how do i transform an xml document with an xsl document when my xml document is a string and my xsl document is a string? the msdn examples only show how to do it with steams and files. in my case i have everything in string Daniel wrote: > in C# how do i transform an xml document with an xsl document when my xml > document is a string and my xsl document is a string? the msdn examples only > show how to do it with steams and files. in my case i have everything in > string Use a StringReader - if you want to output it to a string, use StringWriter. ...

Items for review wont show up
I am using MS Money 2004 Small Business. My checking account balance is downloaded each day from my bank. For the last couple days, it continues to download transactions, and tells me that there are now 8 items to review, but when I open up the account, nothing is bold faced to review. On the pane to the left, it still lists 8 items to review. I even went to the bank website and downloaded in the most recent transactions, but this only made the list of items to review larger. I still can't accept any of them. I have tried a quick repair. I also tried restoring the back up, bu...

How do I show two rows of worksheet tabs instead of one?
I have about 30 worksheets in an Excel Workbook. How can I show more than one row of worksheet tabs on the screen at once without scrolling? Not possible Rob But maybe you like the option to right click on the arrows on the left of the first sheet tab -- Regards Ron de Bruin http://www.rondebruin.nl "RobtJWitt" <RobtJWitt@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:046F7DAD-E770-4961-8BF9-A3211950A4B8@microsoft.com... >I have about 30 worksheets in an Excel Workbook. How can I show more than > one row of worksheet tabs on the screen at once without scrolling...

How can I add whole numbers to fractions?
I am trying to produce a chart that will add up FT-IN, is this possible with Excel? If you are starting with feet in decimal form, say A1 contains 12.1, then =INT(A1)&"' "&INT(12*(A1-INT(A1)))&""" "&TEXT(MOD(12*(A1-INT(A1)),1),"##/##") will display 12' 1" 1/5 as feet-inches-fractional inches If you are starting out with feet and inches, then put them in separate cells. -- Gary''s Student gsnu200709 "aw" wrote: > I am trying to produce a chart that will add up FT-IN, is this possible with >...

Truncation at sixth decimal
Hi all I can't understand why SQL Server numeric data truncate at the sixth decimal place, when the decimal places should be much more. Here is the example. I have these 3 tables with test data: create table Consumi1 (Combustibile varchar(10), Valore decimal(30,19)) go create table Consumi2 (Combustibile varchar(10), Valore decimal(30,19)) go create table Consumi3 (Combustibile varchar(10), Valore decimal(30,19)) go insert Consumi1 values ('Carbone', 123.4567898765434), ('OCD',456.574747473737), ('Gasolio',9987.8473736666) insert Consumi1 values (&#...

Aligning Decimal Points with non-numeric data
I am creating a table and would like to align my data by the decimal point. I understand that the accounting format will do this, however my data sometimes includes symbols. For example 1.23 7.94 8.45** (3.12) 5.88 The accounting format seems to deal well with the (3.12), but I can't get the decimal places to align for the 8.45**. Any advice??? Also the accounting format won't allow me to indent. Thanks in advance! This format code (Format->Cells->Number tab->Custom) seems to work fo me. 0.00_*_*_);(0.00)_*_*;0.00_*_*_);@_) Make sure the alignment is set to right ...

Contacts not showing
Version: 2008 Operating System: Mac OS X 10.6 (Snow Leopard) Processor: Intel Email Client: imap Using 2008 on 10.6.3. I have contacts configured and appear to be working for the most part. My question is are contacts suppose to show up when you click on address book in entourage? > This message is in MIME format. Since your mail reader does not understand this format, some or all of this message may not be legible. --B_3355748369_822230 Content-type: text/plain; charset="US-ASCII" Content-transfer-encoding: 7bit On 5/3/10 8:41 AM, in article 59bb7d9a.-1@webcros...

Shared calender NOT showing...
Hello all, I am trying to setup a shared calendar for some of the employees. We have Microsoft Exchange Server 2003 in a Server 2003 domain environment. We also have Outlook 2003 with multiuser licences for all employees. Now, using my Windows login account, I went into my Outlook, created a new calendar for testing. I made it to be shared and added in the other employees and gave them Publishing Editor access. My limited understanding at this point tells me the people who I just granted permissions to should see this calendar from their Outlook accounts...right? But the problem is they ca...

Why is Bible Bob not showing up in Outlook Express?
Is there someway that BB is on filter, and yet I do not know about it? Bob does show on my other Usenet clients, and to my recollection there are no ways to filter the hate filled posters with Outlook. Although I am knew to Outlook, and Gastrich seemed to have figured out a way to filter people with this software. Outlook Express experts please reply. Is there some filter I am not aware of? I am using Windows XP and using version 6 of Outlook Express. Thanks, John -- Luke 9:26-If anyone is ashamed of me and my words, the Son of Man will be ashamed of him when he comes in his glory...

Phantom items showing on MO picklist
Does anyone know why GP chose to show Phantom items on the picklist for an MO? They show with a required quantity too! Since the purpose of the picklist is to show the inventory items needed for a given MO and since phantom items are by definition not pulled from inventory I can't understand why they are included. Has anyone seen a reason or need for this? -- Jim@TurboChef ------=_NextPart_0001_7F202882 Content-Type: text/plain Content-Transfer-Encoding: 7bit Hello Jim, Thank you for using Online Techincal Resources and for the questions about phantom subassemblies. We have t...

Interest income not showing up in annual tax report?
M04 (v12.0 Update 1) which I've been using for a number of years. This year, when I look go Taxes > Tax Reports and look at Tax-Related Transactions for Previous Year, my wages show, "investment income:dividends" from one account shows, but "investment income: interest" from my bank accounts does not! Checked to make sure that the transactions in the accounts that contain the income are properly classified, and the report is set to include those accounts as well. The interest income category is correctly set to show in tax reports in the tax settings. Ran ...

Outlook downloads but won't show *some* messages...
Darn this is a difficult one to troubleshoot... All of a sudden, Outlook 2003 won't show some messages. They are downloaded in the inbox but have no preview, nor will they display when clicked. It's not all messages, just like 4-5% of them. Facts: 1) It's not my ISP as I have seen this using my ISPs email account and a G-Mail account when downloading with Outlook. 2) I haven't added or changed any addins. 3) I temporarily disabled email protection in Zone Alarm and AVG, but still got the no-show messages. 4) I have done "Detect and Repair" and that did noth...

PA to Payroll currency decimals
Project accounting interface to Payroll should honor the Timesheet cost category currency decimals and push to payroll the number of decimals setup in Project. Ideally, the PA side should warn you if your currency decimals on a TS cost category are not equal to the Payroll currency decimals if the interface is turned on. Currently the PA rounds to 2 decimals when posting to Payroll batches. ---------------- This post is a suggestion for Microsoft, and Microsoft responds to the suggestions with the most votes. To vote for this suggestion, click the "I Agree" button in the me...

Deleted apay shows up in budget
So I deleted an apay and created a new one (its a payment for a loan account that I also track in monney 2004). While it is deleting out of my bills and deposits, it is not deleting out of my "transfer out of budget accounts" in my budget. so i now have duplicates. When I right- click and edit, the screen just sort of blinks, but no other screen comes up until I do it to the "active" transfer/apay. Any thoughts on how to get rid of the dupes, because they are affecting my budget. Thanks... J I have the same problem. When you find an answer., let me know. My ...