Formula Problem?

I am using Excel 2000 with Windows XP.

I am having a problem. I am on Sheet 2 of my workbook.

I have SSN on a sheet named Employees in the same workbook.

I need to take the numbers on the Employees Sheet and transfer it to the
sheet 2.

I know how to do this. It just won't work.

This is a copy of my formula.  =SUM(Employees!C3)

This should take the SSN that is in the C3 cell on the employees sheet and
place it at the cell where the formula is typed.

When I put this formula in the cell I am getting just a "0".

Please help.

0
ironaxinc (3)
1/5/2007 8:21:18 PM
excel 39879 articles. 2 followers. Follow

=Employees!C3

--
Kind regards,

Niek Otten
Microsoft MVP - Excel

"Iron Ax, Inc." <ironaxinc@bellsouth.net> wrote in message news:0rynh.21258$h_1.17355@bignews6.bellsouth.net...

| I am using Excel 2000 with Windows XP.
|
| I am having a problem. I am on Sheet 2 of my workbook.
|
| I have SSN on a sheet named Employees in the same workbook.
|
| I need to take the numbers on the Employees Sheet and transfer it to the
| sheet 2.
|
| I know how to do this. It just won't work.
|
| This is a copy of my formula.  =SUM(Employees!C3)
|
| This should take the SSN that is in the C3 cell on the employees sheet and
| place it at the cell where the formula is typed.
|
| When I put this formula in the cell I am getting just a "0".
|
| Please help.

0
nicolaus (2022)
1/5/2007 8:25:35 PM
Drop the SUM......all you want is to return the numbers, not Sum them.

=Employees!C3

Drag/copy down the column.

Gord Dibben  MS Excel MVP

On Fri, 5 Jan 2007 15:21:18 -0500, "Iron Ax, Inc." <ironaxinc@bellsouth.net>
wrote:

>I am using Excel 2000 with Windows XP.
>
>I am having a problem. I am on Sheet 2 of my workbook.
>
>I have SSN on a sheet named Employees in the same workbook.
>
>I need to take the numbers on the Employees Sheet and transfer it to the
>sheet 2.
>
>I know how to do this. It just won't work.
>
>This is a copy of my formula.  =SUM(Employees!C3)
>
>This should take the SSN that is in the C3 cell on the employees sheet and
>place it at the cell where the formula is typed.
>
>When I put this formula in the cell I am getting just a "0".
>
>Please help.

0
Gord

how do I insert rows without changing formula
In a cashflow worksheet how can I add rows without having to re-do all the proceeding formulas. use absolute references e.g. =$A$5 -- HTH RP (remove nothere from the email address if mailing direct) "tinka" <tinka@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:4ED4569E-0FD6-469B-82B1-F30139B1A280@microsoft.com... > In a cashflow worksheet how can I add rows without having to re-do all the > proceeding formulas. ...

formulas #20
I need to make a formula that contains mutiple variables and different answers for the cell. If G40=1 and G41= 250 G42 will equal 50 If G40=1 and G41= 200 G42will equal 37 If G40=1 and G41= 150 G42 will equal 25 If G40=2 and G41= 250 G42 will equal 37 If G40=2 and G41= 200 G42 will equal 25 If G40=2 and G41= 150 G42 will equal 19 Any suggestions would be appreciated. Are these the only values that can be found in G40 and G41? If so, I would set up a table that looks like this: 150 200 250 1 25 37 50 2 19 25 37 Let's say you put that in L1:O3 The formula woul...

cannot update one account, cant find the problem
One of my accounts has not been able to update for a few days. Never had problem before. I use Money 2007 Deluxe. Error message: "Money unable to establish a secure connection to the server due to a prolem with the security components on your computer. Error often caused by older version of strong encryption." The link offered to fix this sadly turns up a "page cant be found" message. (microsoft.com/money/security) Updates shows no needed updates, clock is synchronized, password is correct. What else can I try? Thanks for the help! I jsut had a similar problem wi...

Italics problem
I notice when I go to format cells, if I switch to italic bold bold italic Then it is impossible to switch back to "Regular". "Regular" does not seem to be an option. Help, everything is in italics!! ...

Publisher
Have a laptop user on our network that works in Publisher mainly and she has a recurring problem of Windows Media Player automatically launching while she is working on a Publisher project usually but also sometimes when she is in Outlook. We have tried multiple attempts to fix this problem but all attempts have failed: 1. Tried disabling the media player with GUI settings and the registry. 2. Tried re-imaging her laptop and reinstalling all programs 3. Have tried a fresh installation of XP Pro and serviced packed to 1a (we have decided not to support SP2 on our network yet.) 4. This mo...

Problems after upgrading to Money Deluxe 2004
I recently downloaded Money Deluxe 2004 and upgraded my Money Deluxe 2003. Now that the upgrade is done, I've had 2 main problems. 1. When downloading my satements from by Fidelity Brokerage account money tells me that I have 3 new transactions in my online statements. When I click on my Fidelity link money will show me the current qotes of the stocks I own...so far so good. However when I go into 'My Portfolio' I noticed that none of the stock prices have been updated. They all remain at the price quoted the day before I upgraded. The prices never changes. It rema...

SetTimer problem
Hi, I have an application that requires processing at regular intervals. I have used SetTimer and cal back function to do the processing and it had been working fine (its a service and hence had to add message loop). Recently, in the processing I added one other function that uses a COM dll (a VFP dll to run VFP cmmands). With that, i see intermittent missing timer events (the processing was not done as expected and hence added a log. The log shows that the call back function is not called in between for some random intervals of time). I am not sure why this happens. What I am looking at now ...

TreeControl
I'm using Visual C++ and MFC in VS 2003 on a Win2000 system Built the application with VC++ 6.0 and was working fine. Migrated to VC++ 7.1. Works fine in debug mode. The problem? The application uses a CFormView with TabControl. On the first tab I have a TreeControl (CTreeCtrl) populated from a database. In debug mode, the tree populates fine, in release mode, only the very first root-level node populates the child items - subsequent root-level nodes will not show any child items. I have other tree controls on other tabs, populated nearly identically and they work fine in both deb...

Formula Based on Multiple Sheets
I have a workbook with a summary sheet for 25 other sheets. On these 25 sheets there is a cell that is the same cell on every sheet, but may contain different values based on formulas within the specific sheet. In other words, cell D17 on sheet '1' will be different from D17 on any other sheet. On the summary sheet row 1 would refer to sheet 1. I need the cells in row 1 of the summary sheet to look for specific values in a specific cell on sheet 1 and simply copy the value. When I simply enter ='1'D17 it works, But when I try to copy that formula down the col...

Formulas in Charts
I am currently creating a chart in Excel. In the Values Axis I a trying to add noncontigious colums (i.e. b,c,d, g) when I try do d this I get an error message. Please help how should this formula b entered, what am I doing wrong ----------------------------------------------- ~~ Message posted from http://www.ExcelTip.com ~~View and post usenet messages directly from http://www.ExcelForum.com How exactly are you trying to add non-contiguous columns? What error message do you get? What kind of a chart are you creating? What do the columns contain? All numeric values or does one or ...

Sending Problems
I get the following message (exchange compuserve.com for htomail.com or any other) when I try to send a message from Outlook 2002. My pop3 and smtp servers are both mail.domain_name.com 550 not local host compuserve.com, not a gateway It will send messages to addresses with the same domain name as mine. Thanks >I get the following message (exchange compuserve.com for >htomail.com or any other) when I try to send a message >from Outlook 2002. My pop3 and smtp servers are both >mail.domain_name.com > >550 not local host compuserve.com, not a gateway > >It will s...

Outlook.pst problem #2
Hey all. I tried archiving my email and received the following message: "Error while archiving folder "Read" in store "Personal Folders". The file C:\WINDOWS\Local Settings\Application Data\Microsoft\Outlook\outlook.pst could not be accessed. Access is denied." Can anyone tell me why this may have happened and how I may fix it? I used to have a program to fix the outlook.pst file, however I can't recall where it is any longer. Thanks in advance. Anthony How big is the archive.pst file? How many items are in the folder that's giving you the ...

problem in running ms office 2007
I installed the ms office 2007 setup in desktop.while running it i'm getting a message as "there are no products affected by this product in this system"....how to rectify it.. ...

How do I get a formula to use data from a fixed location(NOT vicev
I want a formula to use data from a fixed location. For example I am using a table B2 to I4. During the week new value are added to the right of this table and then the table is shifted to the left. So a value in I4 becomes G4 etc. I want the formula to continue using I4 despite the fact it has been shifted but the formula automatically adjusts to read G4. IN SHORT Is there anyway to fix the formula to read a fixed physical location and not track the position of the cells? I know how to fix the value when the formula is moved(using $), but not how to fix the source for the formula. Anyon...

Problem Sending Outlook Dialup Email
Sending and receiving email on a broadband connection with Outlook Express works fine. However with a dialup connection, receiving email works but I cannot send email. I get the following error: "The connection to the server has failed. Account: 'mail.comcast.net', Server: 'smtp.comcast.net', Protocol: SMTP, Port: 25, Secure(SSL): No, Socket Error: 10060, Error Number: 0x800CCC0E" Can anyone help? ...

pivot table: problem with multiple groupings in different worksheets
Hello. I'm having a bit of trouble the group function in a pivot table. Let's say we've got a table with columns "district" and sales (just an example), and I create two different pivot tables with the same origin. In one of the pivot tables I want to group regions in some way, and define different sets in the second pivot table. Here comes the issue: when I right click the selection...-> group, excel defines a new property on the origin data, a new field called "district2". That field also appears on the second pivot table. If I try to group differently the ...

Problem with VBScript in WinCE 6.0

Changing formulas to values
I have a spreadsheet that makes calculations based on the value of another cell (say, A1). If I change the value in A1, all the calculations are updated, however, I want certain cells to keep their values when saved, so that future changes to A1 aren't reflected in these cells. I can currently do this on a cell-by-cell basis by hitting F2, then F9 on a cell, but I'm wanting something a bit simpler and that will work when I select a range of cells. I've tried saving the F2, F9 presses as a macro, but that doesn't work... Any ideas? -- Kind regards, Peter Anderson. h...

Excel formula not calculating help!
i have enclosed my file. i wrote the formula's : =sum(c15:e15) and they are not working unless i double click and then it works. shouldn't i be able to type a number in on c15 and automatically it should calculate it in the "sum cell" as well? please help!! Attachment filename: cale_new.xls Download attachment: http://www.excelforum.com/attachment.php?postid=416812 --- Message posted from http://www.ExcelForum.com/ Hi caomychao! Try: Tools > Options > Calculate Select Automatic -- Regards Norman Harker MVP (Excel) Sydney, Austra...

Chart formating problem
Hi! I have a simple bar chart in reverse order, and all axis values, labels and titles formated at 9px weight. When I re-open the document all of the mentioned text appears at 1px, what forces me to format again back to 9px weight. And that repeats at every re-opening. I've searched the options in hope to find some check-box that always fix things like this one but there isn't any. Do you have any idea why those labels are so stubborn? :) Thanks! K. ...

Office 2010 HP printer problem
Office 2010 Professional Plus 2010 (the released 32-bit version, two activated copies on two computers) does not print multiple copies of any office document with my HP Laserjet P2055dn printers (using the latest Dec. 15, 2009 PCL 6 and PCL 5 UPD drivers available on the HP Web site). No matter how many copies are entered, only 1 copy of a document prints. Both of our computers are running Windows 7 x64. The printers worked fine with the Beta version of Office 2010, and work properly withh our non-Office programs. Our Xerox and Canon printers work properly. Does anyone have a ...

Problem encountered when quitting MS Outlook
Recently, every time I quit MS Outlook I get "Microsoft Outlook has encountered a problem and needs to close. We are sorry for the incovenience." The following appears in the Error Signature: AppName:outlook.exe; AppVer: 10.0.4510.0; ModName: mso.dll; ModVer: 10.0.4219.0; Offset: 000f5890; Exception Code: 0x0000087c. What do I need to do to rectify this problem? Do you have the latest service packs for Outlook installed? -- Aloha, -Ben- Ben M. Schorr, OneNote-MVP http://home.hawaii.rr.com/schorr **I apologize but I am unable to respond to direct requests for assistance....

formula / code help needed
Hi I have a sheet with column C (start time) & column D (end time). (C1:D50) e.g C D 07:45 07:50 07:48 08:05 In Cell A1 i have the time '08:00' and in cell A2 '08:20'. What i want to do is look at the range C1:D50 and determine if any values fall between 08:00 and 08:20. If they do, change the corrosponding cell in column E to equal 10. C D E 07:45 ...

Exchange 2003 Queue problem
My internal mail MS 2003 server - users being authenticated by the DC/DNS - has on occasion stopped sending messages? What I have done, a couple of times now, is re-start the Exchange Server (I have stopped and re-started services with on luck!). After re-starting all works just fine! Is anyone else running into this problem and might you know what is causing it? Thanks ahead. What does the SMTP protocol log say? -- Ed Crowley MVP - Exchange "Protecting the world from PSTs and brick backups!" "John Leonard - Sage" <sagegrp@adelphia.net> wrote in messag...

Spam Inspector problems with Outlook
The situation with Spam Inspector does not appear good. I like it, but since acquisition by MS recently, support options have disappeared from their web site. Emails go unanswered. MS site has no news. It's a good product but appears headed for oblivion. 1. After selecting several messages and clicking "Is Spam", my system takes minutes to accomplish the task. I've tried all the options I can determine might have an effect, such as not reporting learned spammers. 2. At times SInspector.exe starts to leak memory. After start up, task manager shows it with 37mb. Some u...