Formula Help #27

Hi there,

Bit of a complex one here ..I think !
But here's an example of what i have anyway

A                 B                                 C
     D         E         F
93	  Afghanistan	             Afghanistan	         17.22	 17.22	 17.22
9370	Afghanistan-Mobile	Afghanistan-Mobile	16.40	16.40	16.40
9371	Afghanistan-Mobile	Albania                        6.04	6.04	6.04
9372	Afghanistan-Mobile	Albania-Mobile	           11.30   11.30   11.30
9379	Afghanistan-Mobile	Albania-Tirana	            3.47     3.47
3.47

Basically what i need it to do , is check column B against column C and
if it has an entry in column C then to copy the values in D,E and F and
paste them into empty columns on the same row.
So, in effect what we would be left with is

93	  Afghanistan		             Afghanistan	         17.22	17.22 17.22
9370	Afghanistan-Mobile		Afghanistan-Mobile	16.4	16.4   16.4
9371	Afghanistan-Mobile		Afghanistan-Mobile	16.4	16.4   16.4
9372	Afghanistan-Mobile		Afghanistan-Mobile	16.4	16.4   16.4
9379	Afghanistan-Mobile		Afghanistan-Mobile	16.4	16.4   16.4

Is this even possible to do as i'm having a lot of issues trying to
implement it correctly myself ?
Also to note is that there is a large number of entries in column B and
a smaller number in column C.
It doesnt really matter what output column C is either, as all that
matters is to have the correct number of lines with the right output in
columns G,H and I or where ever.

Many thanks in advance.
Declan

0
decfish (3)
7/20/2006 12:53:33 PM
excel 39879 articles. 2 followers. Follow

Hi Declan,

I think you have two tables - the first (columns A and B) comprises the
phone code and the destination and the second (columns C to F)
comprises the destination and the rates charged. You want to end up
with one table incorporating all the data.

I think the easiest way is to insert three new columns, C D and E.
Highlight the second table, for example from f1 to i500 (or whatever
your range is) and Insert | Name | Define - give this range a name such
as "Prices". Then you can enter these formulae in columns C D and E:

C1:     =VLOOKUP(B1,Prices,2,0)
D1:     =VLOOKUP(B1,Prices,3,0)
E1:     =VLOOKUP(B1,Prices,4,0)

Copy the formulae down for as many entries as you have in column B by
double-clicking the fill handle (the small black square at the bottom
right corner of the cursor, with C1 selected).

You can fix the values in columns C to E by highlighting them, click
<copy> then Edit | Paste Special | Values (check) | OK then <Enter>,
and then you can delete columns f to i to leave yourself with a single
composite table. I'm not sure why you need the destination column
repeated.

Hope this helps.

Pete

decfish@gmail.com wrote:
> Hi there,
>
> Bit of a complex one here ..I think !
> But here's an example of what i have anyway
>
> A                 B                                 C
>      D         E         F
> 93	  Afghanistan	             Afghanistan	         17.22	 17.22	 17.22
> 9370	Afghanistan-Mobile	Afghanistan-Mobile	16.40	16.40	16.40
> 9371	Afghanistan-Mobile	Albania                        6.04	6.04	6.04
> 9372	Afghanistan-Mobile	Albania-Mobile	           11.30   11.30   11.30
> 9379	Afghanistan-Mobile	Albania-Tirana	            3.47     3.47
> 3.47
>

> Basically what i need it to do , is check column B against column C and
> if it has an entry in column C then to copy the values in D,E and F and
> paste them into empty columns on the same row.
> So, in effect what we would be left with is
>
> 93	  Afghanistan		             Afghanistan	         17.22	17.22 17.22
> 9370	Afghanistan-Mobile		Afghanistan-Mobile	16.4	16.4   16.4
> 9371	Afghanistan-Mobile		Afghanistan-Mobile	16.4	16.4   16.4
> 9372	Afghanistan-Mobile		Afghanistan-Mobile	16.4	16.4   16.4
> 9379	Afghanistan-Mobile		Afghanistan-Mobile	16.4	16.4   16.4
>
> Is this even possible to do as i'm having a lot of issues trying to
> implement it correctly myself ?
> Also to note is that there is a large number of entries in column B and
> a smaller number in column C.
> It doesnt really matter what output column C is either, as all that
> matters is to have the correct number of lines with the right output in
> columns G,H and I or where ever.
>
> Many thanks in advance.
> Declan

0
pashurst (2576)
7/21/2006 7:56:33 AM
Perfect stuff thanks Pete,
Seems i was going about it totally the wrong way ..and you made it soo
simple :)
Always the case !
Thanks a million though.

Very much appreciated

Dec

Pete_UK wrote:
> Hi Declan,
>
> I think you have two tables - the first (columns A and B) comprises the
> phone code and the destination and the second (columns C to F)
> comprises the destination and the rates charged. You want to end up
> with one table incorporating all the data.
>
> I think the easiest way is to insert three new columns, C D and E.
> Highlight the second table, for example from f1 to i500 (or whatever
> your range is) and Insert | Name | Define - give this range a name such
> as "Prices". Then you can enter these formulae in columns C D and E:
>
> C1:     =VLOOKUP(B1,Prices,2,0)
> D1:     =VLOOKUP(B1,Prices,3,0)
> E1:     =VLOOKUP(B1,Prices,4,0)
>
> Copy the formulae down for as many entries as you have in column B by
> double-clicking the fill handle (the small black square at the bottom
> right corner of the cursor, with C1 selected).
>
> You can fix the values in columns C to E by highlighting them, click
> <copy> then Edit | Paste Special | Values (check) | OK then <Enter>,
> and then you can delete columns f to i to leave yourself with a single
> composite table. I'm not sure why you need the destination column
> repeated.
>
> Hope this helps.
>
> Pete
>
> decfish@gmail.com wrote:
> > Hi there,
> >
> > Bit of a complex one here ..I think !
> > But here's an example of what i have anyway
> >
> > A                 B                                 C
> >      D         E         F
> > 93	  Afghanistan	             Afghanistan	         17.22	 17.22	 17.22
> > 9370	Afghanistan-Mobile	Afghanistan-Mobile	16.40	16.40	16.40
> > 9371	Afghanistan-Mobile	Albania                        6.04	6.04	6.04
> > 9372	Afghanistan-Mobile	Albania-Mobile	           11.30   11.30   11.30
> > 9379	Afghanistan-Mobile	Albania-Tirana	            3.47     3.47
> > 3.47
> >

> > Basically what i need it to do , is check column B against column C and
> > if it has an entry in column C then to copy the values in D,E and F and
> > paste them into empty columns on the same row.
> > So, in effect what we would be left with is
> >
> > 93	  Afghanistan		             Afghanistan	         17.22	17.22 17.22
> > 9370	Afghanistan-Mobile		Afghanistan-Mobile	16.4	16.4   16.4
> > 9371	Afghanistan-Mobile		Afghanistan-Mobile	16.4	16.4   16.4
> > 9372	Afghanistan-Mobile		Afghanistan-Mobile	16.4	16.4   16.4
> > 9379	Afghanistan-Mobile		Afghanistan-Mobile	16.4	16.4   16.4
> >
> > Is this even possible to do as i'm having a lot of issues trying to
> > implement it correctly myself ?
> > Also to note is that there is a large number of entries in column B and
> > a smaller number in column C.
> > It doesnt really matter what output column C is either, as all that
> > matters is to have the correct number of lines with the right output in
> > columns G,H and I or where ever.
> >
> > Many thanks in advance.
> > Declan

0
decfish (3)
7/21/2006 8:19:02 AM
Thanks for the feedback, Declan -you must have tried the solution out
very promptly.

Pete

decfish@gmail.com wrote:
> [...]
> > > if it has an entry in column C then to copy the values in D,E and F and
> > > paste them into empty columns on the same row.
> > > So, in effect what we would be left with is
> > >
> > > 93	  Afghanistan		             Afghanistan	         17.22	17.22 17.22
> > > 9370	Afghanistan-Mobile		Afghanistan-Mobile	16.4	16.4   16.4
> > > 9371	Afghanistan-Mobile		Afghanistan-Mobile	16.4	16.4   16.4
> > > 9372	Afghanistan-Mobile		Afghanistan-Mobile	16.4	16.4   16.4
> > > 9379	Afghanistan-Mobile		Afghanistan-Mobile	16.4	16.4   16.4
> > >
> > > Is this even possible to do as i'm having a lot of issues trying to
> > > implement it correctly myself ?
> > > Also to note is that there is a large number of entries in column B and
> > > a smaller number in column C.
> > > It doesnt really matter what output column C is either, as all that
> > > matters is to have the correct number of lines with the right output in

0
pashurst (2576)
7/21/2006 12:17:16 PM
Yes, got into work at 9 and saw your help posted..and because it got
the better of me yesterday (trying nested if formulas and all sorts)
seeing your solution made it all slot nicely into place :)

thanks once again,
Dec

Pete_UK wrote:
> Thanks for the feedback, Declan -you must have tried the solution out
> very promptly.
>
> Pete
>
> decfish@gmail.com wrote:
> > Perfect stuff thanks Pete,
> > Seems i was going about it totally the wrong way ..and you made it soo
> > simple :)
> > Always the case !
> > Thanks a million though.
> >
> > Very much appreciated
> >
> > Dec
> >
> > Pete_UK wrote:
> > > Hi Declan,
> > >
> > > I think you have two tables - the first (columns A and B) comprises the
> > > phone code and the destination and the second (columns C to F)
> > > comprises the destination and the rates charged. You want to end up
> > > with one table incorporating all the data.
> > >
> > > I think the easiest way is to insert three new columns, C D and E.
> > > Highlight the second table, for example from f1 to i500 (or whatever
> > > your range is) and Insert | Name | Define - give this range a name such
> > > as "Prices". Then you can enter these formulae in columns C D and E:
> > >
> > > C1:     =VLOOKUP(B1,Prices,2,0)
> > > D1:     =VLOOKUP(B1,Prices,3,0)
> > > E1:     =VLOOKUP(B1,Prices,4,0)
> > >
> > > Copy the formulae down for as many entries as you have in column B by
> > > double-clicking the fill handle (the small black square at the bottom
> > > right corner of the cursor, with C1 selected).
> > >
> > > You can fix the values in columns C to E by highlighting them, click
> > > <copy> then Edit | Paste Special | Values (check) | OK then <Enter>,
> > > and then you can delete columns f to i to leave yourself with a single
> > > composite table. I'm not sure why you need the destination column
> > > repeated.
> > >
> > > Hope this helps.
> > >
> > > Pete

0
decfish (3)

how do i write formula for if condition in excel?
??? =IF(A1=10,"yes","no") ?? -- Paul B Always backup your data before trying something new Please post any response to the newsgroups so others can benefit from it Feedback on answers is always appreciated! Using Excel 2002 & 2003 "Anjali" <Anjali@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:307D83C3-34BD-4E0D-AF7C-4E10AA77BB1A@microsoft.com... > =IF(question_is_asked_in_a_detailed-manner,"quality, quick reply received","the best you get is a guess") -- HTH Bob Phillips (replace somewhere in email address with gm...

Anybody Help with previous question
Hi, I'm getting desperate to solve this, so my apologies for posting this again, but can anybody offer any help with this previous question. If the link doesn't work I have copied the orig question below. http://www.microsoft.com/office/community/en-us/default.mspx?pg=4&lang=en&cr=US&guid=&sloc=en-us&dg=microsoft.public.excel.misc&fltr=&mid=4044fba5-9f57-4be7-85a7-92ebb9093772 I have (been given) the code below that will add a row of 'jobs' to a worksheet named 'Database'. There isa check to see if these jobs have been already added a...

CString help

Owa Logon problem Please help!!!
My users report that the Owa is not loading after entering password and username. They see the first screen where they can enter credentials, after they give an enter it seems like OWA does not validate the password. it stays on this page https://x.x.229.44/exchweb/bin/auth/owalogon.asp?url=https://x.x.229.44/exchange&reason=0 Owa has always worked from intern and extern exchange 2003 Sp1 on winodw 2000 Sp4 machine. How can I resolve this problem. I already tried resetting the IUSR and IWAM user account, but no difference. Can I reinstall exchange and will this solve my problem, I am ...

find formula between worksheets
Worksheet 2 is a calendar with cell A1 labeled Oct. 2 , B1 labeled Oct.3, and so on. Worksheet 1 is a chart with column A labeled clients and column B labeled with the dates that someone met with the client. In worksheet2 I would like a formula that would pull Client names from column A on worksheet 1 (dates are in column b) into the calendar on worksheet2 in cell A2, for Oct. 2, and B2, Oct.3. For example if on worksheet1 if cell A1 said Kerry and cell B1 said Oct. 3, I would want a formula that would pull the client name Kerry into worksheet2 on cell B2 under the heading in cell B2 (...

Please help me with Money Invoice Designer problem
I am having a problem with Money 2003 D&B Invoice Designer. I reinstalled Money 2003 D&B, and acknowledged the EULA. But when I try to start the Invoice Designer, either from withion Money or from the Start, Programs, Money menu, I get a message the Windows Installer is "preparing to install", then an error message the Windows Installer "Can't load fiile C:\Docume~1\Joe\Locals~1\Temp\{7F581D1D-CA97-4C77-B88A-27537173CEDF}\Seria lNumber.dll", and my only choice is to click on "OK". This message repeats 8 more times before the invoice designer finally...

Help with Regexp, please
Hi, The regular expression (\d{15,16}) matches a substring in a cell. I want to extract the remaining part of the cell ie. from the character after the matched substring till the end of the string in the cell using a regular expression. Is it possible to do this? Thanks in advance for the help. Regards, Raj Raj, with abcd15,16xyz in a cell the code below abstracts abcxyz. Maybe you can use this as a basis to develop your code Function GetSubstring(S As String) As String Dim re As Object Set re = CreateObject("vbscript.regexp") re.Pattern = &quo...

copy formula+value
I have this 2 columns. I want to copy this two and paste them to a new row with exact the same formula, value and cellreference. =3D'Z:\F=F6retag\[filename1.xls]Best=E5nd'!$A$4 =3D'Z:\F=F6retag\[filename1.xls]Best=E5nd'!B18 The result: =3D'Z:\F=F6retag\[filename1.xls]Best=E5nd'!$A$4 =3D'Z:\F=F6retag\[filename1.xls]Best=E5nd'!B29 I want the B29 to be B18. I do understand that I could change B18 to $B$18 above but I don't want to do that. In some cases when I copy I want the B18 to be B19,B20,B21,... and this works fine. But how could I make a copy without ...

Sooo frusterated w/ Outlook & Hotmail- Pls help!
I've been having problems receiving my hotmail email in Outlook for about the last month. When I first got my new computer in March, I set up Outlook w/ the Hotmail Outlook Connector and had NO problems. Recently I started receiving completely blank emails- no subject, to, from, empty body, etc. If I accessed my hotmail online the message appeared perfectly. I searched for solutions but nothing I found worked. I tried the new beta outlook connector to no avail. In fact, that made matters worse as outlook gave me an error message & I could no longer open the folders ...

Help! Outlook BCM Error: can't connect to database engine
The business contacts and accounts contacts are not accessible. BCM is unable to connect to the database engine. How can I resolve this problem? In anticipation of a re-install I'm trying to copy my BCM database files for backup. What are the significance of the files ending with: ..ldf; .mdf; and.msbcm? THanks, Peter ...

Formula obscuring cell
I know this has been discussed before, but I can't seem to find it with Google. Situation: A long, multiline formula in one of the top rows of the worksheet. When I select that cell, the formula (from the formula bar) obscures the cell and makes dragging the cell impossible. I have found some ways to work around this. If I want to copy from B1:I1, I can select B1:I1 starting at I1 (rather than B1), and then use the <ctrl><R>. But I'm wondering if there is some other way so that long formulas won't interfere with the adjacent cell. --ron Hi Ron. I don't under...

Need some help with Process Server
Can anyone give me some information about process server? I have a client that really needs this but I am having a hard time finding anything in the Microsoft knowledge base or on the Partner 3rd party refernce site. Any information or pointed int he right direction would be very helpful and very much appreciated. -- TC Process Server is a Microsoft Dynamics GP component - unless of course, you are not talking about THAT process server. You can find information about process server in Part 3 of the Microsoft Dynamics GP System Administrator's Guide. Best regards,...

Can't move .pst file from one computer to another--help!!!!`
Hi, This is a "newbie" problem that stumps the tech support at my company. Perhaps a solution for it can be found here. I use Outlook to read messages at work, and would like to read them on the Outlook of my computer at home. I archived the messages of a folder into a .pst file, but could not open the .pst file at home. Access was denied. (I was able to open the file at work.) Any suggestions on surmounting this problem would be appreciated. Thanks very much. Gary If it is on a CD, copy it back to the hard drive and remove the read-only properties. Ensure that you are using...

Filter formula 05-19-10
HI I have a database with repeated informations as listed below and is increasing daily Nat Firm Name SPAIN VIAJES EL CORTE INGLES SPAIN VIAJES EL CORTE INGLES SPAIN VIAJES EL CORTE INGLES GREECE AMEX INTERNATIONAL- HOLLAND GERMANY AIRTOURS INTERNATIONAL-GERMAN ITALY DERTOUR GMBH & CO. KG UNITED KINGDOM INTERNATIONAL TRAVEL CONNE BELGIUM RAINBOW TRAVEL LTD I would like to have a formula which will list the firm name once when choosing the country. I don't want to perform it through a pivot table as I am using the sumproduct to add the qty and amount to have a com...

Highlighting blanks via GO TO SPECIAL is not highlighting blank cells
Long story, but I'm now 4 hours into a simple task. The formula: =IF(AND(ISBLANK(B18),ISBLANK(F18)),"~~~~",IF(ISBLANK(TRIM(F18)),,TRIM(F18))) All those trims are to make absolutely completely sure that when I PASTE > SPECIAL > VALUES from the resultant cells of my formula, I need to make sure that blanks really are blanks. And they are. In fact, I made all the boxes TEXT format once I'd pasted them. And I went into each on and checked that they were blank - no hidden spaces or anything. STILL goto special won't mark them as blank. I REALLY need this urgently, ...

Need Help With Macro to set a value in new sheets
Hey everybody. I am using a variant of Dave Petersen's macro code to create a new sheet and rename that sheet based on a list of values in Sheet_2. Here is what I have so far: Sub CreateNameSheets() ' by Dave Peterson ' List sheetnames required in col C in a sheet: Sheet_2 ' Sub will copy sheets based on the sheet named as: Sheet1 ' and name the sheets accordingly Dim TemplateWks As Worksheet Dim ListWks As Worksheet Dim ListRng As Range Dim myCell As Range Dim ListRng2 As Range Dim myCell2 As Range Set TemplateWks = Worksheets("Sheet1"...

Looking for Manpower Templete Help
I am interested in creating a stacked line chart that will display my >manpower overtime. I would like it to look just like a stock price >chart. X will be the dates per day and Y will be the number of >personnel available. Information that will be available will be Name >for the legend and the inclusive dates of their duty. This will need to >run the fiscal year from 01 Oct 04 to 30 Sep 05. Below an example of the data that need to be in the spread sheet. Thanks. Name Start Date End Date Person 1 12/1/2004 5/31/2005 2 10/1/2004 12/31/2004 3 12/1/2004 9/30/200...

Mixing Formulae and Text in one cell
Can I write a sentence in an Excel cell which contains both text and a formula eg "The total therefore is SUM(A1:A5)" --- Message posted from http://www.ExcelForum.com/ like this ="the "&sum(a1:a5) -- Don Guillett SalesAid Software donaldb@281.com ":-) >" <<.1bd1s3@excelforum-nospam.com> wrote in message news:.1bd1s3@excelforum-nospam.com... > Can I write a sentence in an Excel cell which contains both text and a > formula eg "The total therefore is SUM(A1:A5)" > > > --- > Message posted from http://www.ExcelForum...

No Formulas are working!
I'm using a workbook that was setup by a different user. When I double click into ANY cell that contains a formula, the formula stops working and is then changed into text in the cell. When I try to enter a new formula (even VERY simple one's) the only thing that appears in the cell is the formula text! I have NO clue. I've made sure the autocalcuate is turned on. This is because the cell format is set on "text" and not on anything else (usual: standard") maybe you can change it for every cell: go into the menue format > Style and change this form...

Sorting of worksheet, half of columns are formulas referring to 1st worksheet...
I want to sort my worksheet alphabetically by last name. Half of my worksheet columns contain contact information that are formulas referring to another worksheet in the file. The other half is regular values of dates in different columns. (We use the file to track correspondence). I added 100 more rows to the worksheet.(about 300 total). Now I need to sort, but everything I try results in the rows getting switched around. Ex: Dr. Smith's dates aren't correct. They're on Dr. Smyth's row. Dr. Smith has Dr. Snyder's dates. Any ideas? Thanks. Angela -------------...

Cell formulas
Hi, I have a request that I can't seem to perform. I have two columns. COL1 contains user inputed values. COL2 has a formula. Basically what I want to do is: In COL2, I have the IF statement. If the statement = true, then I want a "happy face" to show up in the cell. If not, make the cell blank. Is this possible? TIA, Eric Hi see your post in excel.worksheet.functions P.S.: please don't multipost -- Regards Frank Kabel Frankfurt, Germany "Eric D." <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> schrieb im Newsbeitrag news:1397501c44401$80f9d810$a501280a@phx.g...

Please Help !!!
A vlookup tool normally looks up from one field and then returns a value based on the information in this field. Does anyone know if it is possible, how it is possible and would be able to give me an example of how a vlookup (or any function can be used) to lookup from two fields and then return a value. i.e. In a fantasy football scenario, rather than looking up a player code and getting the relevant information returned. I want to get a player code, cross reference this to check that the correct club is listed, then return the relevant information. Any help would be much obliged and cou...

EXCEL HELP!!
I want to number a column 4000-5000, I don't want to sit and type all those numbers out by hand. Is there a way to number consecutively?? Please help?? Hi in A1 enter the following formula =ROW()+3999 copy this formula down for 1000 rows -- Regards Frank Kabel Frankfurt, Germany jenniferwillis@wrmf.com wrote: > I want to number a column 4000-5000, I don't want to sit > and type all those numbers out by hand. Is there a way to > number consecutively?? Please help?? Jennifer Frank's method will do what you want, but it will leave formulas in the cells, which you may ...

PUB to Web Page Help
I have a 2 page Newsletter in a PUB format that someone gave me that needs to be converted to a web page. I just installed Publisher. I see how to convert each page but they are not linked in any way. Is there a way to convert the 2 page PUB document into 1 html page or a page1-2 that is linked? Thanks for any help in advance with my insanity over this :-O PS: I use Microsoft FrontPage 2003 for web deveopment and publishing and it won't even open a converetd html page from Publisher (which I find odd given that these are two Microsoft products)..... > I have a 2 page Newsletter in...

Replace Help Please
I have a spreadsheet with all kinds of names in one column. The names are in rows. Each of the names are for example - moving san diego, del mar moving... I want to replace each of them so that there is a " at the start and a " at the end. I tried to find * and replace with "*" but that doesn't work. Any suggestions are appreciated. Thank you so much. Bryan With names starting in A1, enter this in B1: =""""&A1&"""" And copy down as needed. Then, to remove the formula, and leave the revised data behind, Select...