formula for non-sequential columns

I've got data in columns separated by two other columns. I wish to
create a formula in another column that will include the data from
these two non-sequential columns. How do I do this?

Ex: data are found in columns G(rows 1) and J(rows1) and would like to
create formula which lists such data in column S in the following
order: info from column G, row 1 then info from column J, row 1.

Thank you for any assistance. I've pulled out most of what hair I've
got left over this.

excel 39879 articles. 2 followers. Follow

in column "S"

=G1 & J1

--
bgeier
bgeier's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php?action=getinfo&userid=12822

I think this is what you want - enter this formula in S1:

=G1&", "&J1

This will put a comma and a space between the two items.

Hope this helps.

Pete

0
pashurst (2576)
5/17/2006 11:08:25 PM
i apologize for the error. i meant to indicate that I wish the info
from the two columns to be included in column S accordingly:

info from column G, row 1 to be inserted in column S, row 1; and info
from column G, row 1 to be inserted in column S, row 2.

thanks again.

akonealive@gmail.com wrote:
> I've got data in columns separated by two other columns. I wish to
> create a formula in another column that will include the data from
> these two non-sequential columns. How do I do this?
>
> Ex: data are found in columns G(rows 1) and J(rows1) and would like to
> create formula which lists such data in column S in the following
> order: info from column G, row 1 then info from column J, row 1.
>
> Thank you for any assistance. I've pulled out most of what hair I've
> got left over this.

Ok, enter these formulae in the cells shown (I think you have a typo):

S1     =G1
S2     =J1

Hope this helps.

Pete

0
pashurst (2576)

Click in cell w/ formula and get colors in referenced cells
Hi, When you click in a cell with a formula, Excel will then put color around the cells that are referenced. Somehow I turned that feature off. Now I do not get colors in th other cells. Where is that option to turn it back on???? I've looke and looked but I just can't find that option. Thanks for the help -- albea ----------------------------------------------------------------------- albean's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php?action=getinfo&userid=2875 View this thread: http://www.excelforum.com/showthread.php?threadid=48436 ...

BCP Computed Column
Hi. I have a table with a computed column. When I try to import data into table through BCP it generates error due to computed column. So how to handle a computed column while importing data into table through bcp from a text file. Regards, Muhammad Bilal You need to use a format file that tells BCP to skip that column. See BOL for info on bcp format files. Tom "Muhammad Bilal" <MuhammadBilal@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:5AD65421-C599-4773-B56F-24841FE05D5A@microsoft.com... > Hi. > > I have a table with a computed column...

data labels from second column
Hi Column A is list of names (Bob, Sue, etc); column B is how much they collected (58, 12, etc); Column C is the date they did it on - so record 1 says Bob collected 58 on 10/07/07, for instance. I want to create a chart with the date for the x axis, amount collected as the y axis and data labels at each point within the graph giving the collector's name. So at X=12/07/07, y=58 I want it to say Bob within the chart area. Any help much appreciated. Regards Chandler On Mon, 3 Sep 2007, in microsoft.public.excel.charting, Chandler <Chandler@discussions.microsoft.com> said: &...

monthly budget/check registry spreadsheet formula
I'm working on a monthly budget/check registry spreadsheet. What I want to do is have the check register link to the allowed balances in the monthly budget. I have two fields in my monthly budget for each item. A projected cost and actual cost. I want to link entries in the check registry to the actual cost of the fields in the monthly budget. I plan to use account numbers to link these fields to each other. For example . . . Say I buy groceries for $50. When I enter this into the check registry I enter all the necessary information along with an account number that links this tra...

Help Creating A Formula #2
I need to make a formula for alook up. The first spreadsheet i inventory, the second one is pg 103 strapping. I want to enter the fee and inches for pg 103 on the inventory and have it look up the feet an inches on strapping chart and enter the appropriate gallons in column Attachment filename: p & g 101 strapping.zip Download attachment: http://www.excelforum.com/attachment.php?postid=50210 -- Message posted from http://www.ExcelForum.com ...

Time duration formula
I would like to know the formula to work out my employees employment duration, from a given start date to the current day. many thanks Take a look at DATEDIF. Explained at http://www.cpearson.com/excel/datedif.htm -- HTH RP (remove nothere from the email address if mailing direct) "Ska" <Ska@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:B10818AE-1CAD-4CE5-BDED-BC0DDC96C876@microsoft.com... > I would like to know the formula to work out my employees employment > duration, from a given start date to the current day. > > many thanks Thanks Bob, I have us...

Excel formula help #4
Hello! Can somone help me with this formula 2004:21-0-1-1-11 in this cell i wan't to get out "21" 2005:2-0-0-0-1 in this cell i wan't to get out "2" My result from the formula is "-21" and ":2-" is there a formula that i can use on both and get the result "21" and "2"? I want to add the together at the end and get the result "23" but with : and - i only get error. -- johhny ------------------------------------------------------------------------ johhny's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php?act...

Comparing Values In 2 Columns
Hi, i have 2 list of students names both of which are not up to date with each other and because of this one list has more students than the other. I want to search for students names and see if there is a match, if a match is found i need to copy the email address and paste it into the cell by the other name in the other list. See Below My spreadsheet has columns titled, (A)Display Name, (B)Display Email, (C)Sims Name and (D)Sims Email. I basically want to write a script that takes each individual display name in column A and searches in column C for an identical match, if a match is found i...

CONCATENATE text to create a formula to be evaluated
Hi, I am wanting to concatenate a set of text to create a formula. I have done so below. =CONCATENATE("=MAX('",O1,"'!A3:A65536)") The result is: =MAX('2009'!A3:A65536) ....but it treats this as a text string when I try to use INDIRECT Cell O1 contains the year minus 1. In this case O1 = 2009. All of my worksheets are named as a year e.g. 2007....2008....2009...2010. I am entering this on sheet 2010. Now the real question: How do I make another cell evaluate this string as an actual formula and spit out the highest number for ...

text in formula
Help!!! Is there a way to have a formula where a cell with text is in it, but it is not included in the formula. Like I have a random cell that appears sometimes within the range but because it is text and I do not want to include it in the formula. Is there a certain "symbol" that could be used? HELP!! Hi maureen, It depends on what the actual formula is, but *some* functions ignore text entries. You could use the ISNUMBER function to include only those entries that are numbers. Post your formula for a more detailed reply. Biff >-----Original Message----- >Help...

need formula help
I'm trying to have a formula do 3 scenerios in one cell and have a partial formula working: IF(AND(G39>30, G39<=7),3000) which equates to if cell G39 is greater than 0 and less than or equal to 7 use 3000. I would like to continue the formula that if G39 is greater than 7 and less than 14 use 5000 and if G39 is greater than 14 use 7500. How can I do this? Hi, =IF(AND(G39>0, G39<=7),3000,IF(AND(G39>7, G39<=14),5000,if(G39>14,7500))) "tom" wrote: > I'm trying to have a formula do 3 scenerios in one cell and have a partial > form...

Formula Help #66
I need help with a formula. I can't figure out how to calculate for missing number. '05 we sold x units, I know we had a X% increase over '04 so what wa the '04 sales? Column A = '05 Columb B = '04 Column C = % increas -- bab ----------------------------------------------------------------------- babz's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php?action=getinfo&userid=2781 View this thread: http://www.excelforum.com/showthread.php?threadid=49307 '04 sales = '05 sales / 1.X% increase Vaya con Dios, Chuck, CABGx3 "babz" wrote: >...

Copying formulas to another worksheet
Can anyone please help me, I am trying to copy a formula =(sump1:p3) from one worksheet into a new worksheet. When I go to paste the formula the only thing that comes up is =SUM(#REF!). Can I even copy and paste a formula from one worksheet into a new worksheet? and if so how? Thanks When you paste a formula it relatively changes the cell references to suit where you have pasted it to. EG. If you pasted =sum(P1:P3) from cell P4 to cell B4 it would change to =sum(B1:B3). However, if you pasted it to cell B2 it could not reasonably change the references. If you are pasting because you...

Creating Formula with Embedded Variable ID
I need to create a single formula for my workbook that references cells from various tabs (over 20) in another workbook. I want to copy this formula into multiple tabs within my workbook. My workbook and the external workbook have the same number of and identically named tabs. I want to embed a variable into the formula that will take on the name of the tab that the formula is copied to. I imagine the formula would look something like this: ='K:\Sales Reports\[Ohio Team, Mar-21-2004.xls]variable_identifying_the_tab_goes_here'!D1 I know I can use the following formula to derive th...

Formula to reference another worksheet, locate data, then record i
Hi All, It has been over 10 years since I did my Excel studies and I've unfortunately forgotten everything I haven't used regularly. My office has recently upgraded to Office 2007 (upgrade not being the descriptor I'd have chosen!) and I'm struggling with Excel. I've found my way around most issues, but I'm REALLY stuck now and suffering Friday-itis on top of it all! Essentially I have a multi-sheet workbook for my debtors ledger. Each page has separate columns for the customer numbers, names, total debts in each age range (7 days, 14 days etc), totals and lastl...

How can I compare the column names from 2 tables and output them?
I have a requirement to place an alert if the field does not exist in my table, tblStaging. Can any one guide me to reframe this query with error handling messages? I know it is not good practice to use select * but I need to do this as my columns\field names change each time. INSERT INTO tblStaging SELECT * FROM tbl_XL,tblDetails; Thank you -- Message posted via AccessMonster.com http://www.accessmonster.com/Uwe/Forums.aspx/access-formscoding/201003/1 Access is a relational database. If your "table design" has the fields in your table(s) changing frequently,...

Pivot Table and adding a % column, that is not in original data
Hi, Is it possible to add a column for % calculations when the % column is not in original data? To clarify, my original data is as follows: Produt Sales Returns Date A 5 June B 6 June A 1 July A 1 September B 1 November When I run the pivot table, one of the columns I'm then looking to get is a total % of returns over sales , but I cant see how to include in a Pivot table. I can add it outside of the table, but that has problems ...

How to reference workbook name in hyperlink formula?
In order to simplify the maintenance of workbook formulas I need to reference workbook name in hyperlink formula =[myWorkbok.xls]mySheet!$E4 in this way =[A1]mySheet!$E4 given the file name stored in cell A1 Cell A1 : myWorkbook How do I write the formula to make it work? Will it work even if the referenced workbook is closed? Regards Frank Krogh The function you'd want to use is =indirect(). But =indirect() won't work if the sending file is closed. Laurent Longre has an addin (morefunc.xll) at: http://xcell05.free.fr/ or http://xcell05.free.fr/morefunc/english/index.htm ...

Amount in Words Complete Right Formula
give me complete formula See http://www.xldynamic.com/source/xld.xlFAQ0004.html -- HTH Bob Phillips (replace xxxx in the email address with gmail if mailing direct) "Naveed" <Naveed@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:29B7C0D6-1DED-4321-B1EB-CA6DDCE73852@microsoft.com... > give me complete formula > ...

Customize global adress list column in a new mail
Hi! (I have Outlook 2007 and Exchange 2007). when i create a new mail message, hit the "To" button, my global adress list window appear when column by default: Name, Title, business Phone, Location, E-mail address, Company and Alias. Those column from Active directory of course. My question is: can I add/remove column in this window? For example adding "department" from Active directory? thx Since this is customized by your Exchange Admin, I would start by asking him/her if it is possible. This question can most likely be answered in an Exchange or W...

Two lines and pne column
I am trying to modify one of the custom charts to show two line and one column rather than two columns and one line. can anyone help. Ian - Forget the custom type. Make a chart with all three series as lines, select the one series, choose Chart Type from the Chart menu, and select the Column style you want. Voila, your first custom combination chart. There's more about Combination Charts on my web site: http://peltiertech.com/Excel/Charts/ComboCharts.html - Jon ------- Jon Peltier, Microsoft Excel MVP Peltier Technical Services Tutorials and Custom Solutions http://PeltierTech....

extracting numbers from a text field and applying formula
here's my question... i have a cell that has a text field of this type: '9-19' (a-b) I want to create a formula that will subtract 19-9 (b-a) and return the result as a number// can anyone help?! is this even doable? I'd really appreciate it! PS also, i'm very fairly new at excel so a detailed response with th formula would really help! ALe ----------------------------------------------- ~~ Message posted from http://www.ExcelTip.com ~~View and post usenet messages directly from http://www.ExcelForum.com Try: =MID(A1,FIND("-",A1)+1,99)-LEFT(A1,FIND("...

Formula Not Working Properly
I have the formula below and have tried copying it down column in macro. It will calculate the first cell "Q2" properly, but copies the same calculation from Q2 to all other cells. If I click in the formula and then the check mark to the left of formula, it calculates properly in the cell. How can I make it calculate properly from the macro? Also the range will change with each import to the worksheet the macro is applied to. How can I write the macro to apply to all cells in column Q where there is data in other columns in formula? Range("Q2").Sel...

What is the best way to Write this Formula
THank you to all that have helped and to who will help, i greatly appreciate it. Here is my question. I have four columns of data:b is OPEN, C is HIGH, D is LOW and D is CLOSE. I then wrote an =if(and)) statement with about six logical steps to come up with the words "BUY" and "SELL" in columns f and g respectfully. Then in column H I wrote a buy stop formula which is =if(f2="BUY",e2-6.00,""). Worked great got my new number now what I need to write is and this is the hard part IF at any time that the LOW(column d) from that period on until th...

One column into three
We have a table with about 40 columns and 120 Rows and we need to split each column into 3 columns only for certain rows - I'm guessing that we can't spilt a column only for certain rows as this would mess-up the entire column/row naming convention - so is there a way to automate the spliting of a column into 3 rows (i.e column A becomes A,B & C) and then merging each trio of cells (i.e. A1, B1, & C1) into one cell in the row and retaining the data that was in A1 and moving the data that was in B1 into D1 - for all 120 rows and then repeating the process for each colum...