Formula for file location

Hi (I'm a newbie so please be patient)

I am using excel to build a database for an online store, i have apro
3000 products and each product needs an image path (eg. D:/m
docs/images/123.gif).

I need a formula that will automatically insert the path to the image
in its cell in the image colomn.

To make this easier all the image names are the the part number[.gif
so the image for product 123 is D:/my docs/images.123.gif.

Can any one offer a formula to do this?

Code
-------------------
  Example of spread sheet

  Make     Model    part number    image
  Brodit   Clip     1234           D:/my docs/images/1234.gif

-------------------

All the images are in the same folder and they are all .gif files.

I hope this makes sense

excel 39879 articles. 2 followers. Follow

Hi,

for your example (starting in D2 for the filename) enter the following
formula in D2:
="D:/mydocs/images." & C2 & ".gif"
just copy this formula for all your rows in D

HTH
Frank

0
frank.kabel (11126)
1/10/2004 3:48:12 PM
Thank you Frank, Worked a treat. :)

---

you are welcome
Regards
Frank

0
frank.kabel (11126)

How do I remove ~WRL0000.tmp files?
Two days ago one of my MS Word folders I was working in started to accumulate a lot of ~WRL1234.tmp files. Usually these disappear after I leave the folder, but today they're still there. How can I delete them? And how can I reset things so they don't start accumulating again? Many Thanks. See http://www.gmayor.com/what_to_do_when_word_crashes.htm. -- Regards, Jay Freedman Microsoft Word MVP FAQ: http://word.mvps.org Email cannot be acknowledged; please post all follow-ups to the newsgroup so all may benefit. Tim wrote: > Two days ago one of my...

Excel 2000 tries to open unrecognizable file on startup
Hi, For the last couple of weeks, when I first open Excel I get a Microsoft Excel Error pop-up window that says "This file is not in a recognizable format....". I am uncertain what file it is trying to open, but when I click "cancel" it opens books1.xls. Which I usually ignore and go into "open file" and pick my excel file. Any idea what is going on? Win98 Excel 2000 -- Thanks - Jeff Jeff I suspect one of two things 1) Excel opens all files in it xlStart folder. Search for this and remove anything without an .xls, xlt extension 2) If you go to Tools&g...

Exchange Crash -- all we have is the ispriv.edb file
Hello all -- A client of mine never did any exchange 2003 backups, but did copy over the ispriv.edb file over to an external USB harddrive. All we want to do is pull the email out of that directory (8GB file) and put it into .pst files. Then, Ill reinstall Exchange, and open each person's mail box and copy the contents of each .PST file back to the server. My question is: If I only have the ISPRIV.EDB file, how do I get mail out of it ? Is there some super cool easy to use tool for this? ;-) Any help appreciated!! Sincerely, Blake http://wm.quest.com/products/recoverymanage...

.pst file is maxed out - HELP
Apparently I have reached the maximum size of my outlook.pst file (see attached error message). I have tried deleting items but nothing I do seems to have any effect and I continue to get the attached error message. Therefore the eMail part of Outlook is disabled. Anyone got any pointers? XP Pro SP-2/Outlook 2003. Already using .pst format for database. Thanks, No image attached. Post a link, rather than an attachment. See http://www.slipstick.com/problems/repair2gbpst.htm=20 --=20 Sue Mosher, Outlook MVP Author of Configuring Microsoft Outlook 2003 http://www.turtleflock.com/o...

combine multiple excel file in to one excel file and multiple worksheet
I am wanting to use the following code to combine worksheets from multiple files. However I would like to be able to select folder which contains files in a more automated way that having to change the code every time, and also copy all worksheets with links and formulas removed. Any help on this is greatly appreciated as I have limited code knowledge. Sub Copy_them() > Dim TargetWkbk As Workbook > Dim mrgWkbk As Workbook > Dim i As Long > Dim Wks As Worksheet > Dim fName As String > Application.ScreenUpdating = False > Set TargetWkbk ...

how i can change default file format Outlook uses to save message
I my saving message in my inbox using "File->Save As" menu. "Save As.." dialog by default shows "Save As Type:" as "HTML". How I can change default file format Outlook uses to save messages to as "Outlook Message Format - Unicode" ?????? Rajkumar <Rajkumar@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote: > I my saving message in my inbox using "File->Save As" menu. > "Save As.." dialog by default shows "Save As Type:" as "HTML". > How I can change default file format Outlook uses to save messages...

Fixing a formula
I have the following equation, it is looking up in another worksheet an pulling through information when it finds a match in second file fro cell d in first file. =VLOOKUP(D10,'C:\New Code Se up\[gcodenewsetupcopy.xls]Sheet1'!C4:O81,4,FALSE) This is working but when i copy the equation down a few rows th equation changes to this and it should still be looking at Sheet 1 C to O81. =VLOOKUP(D14,'C:\New Code Se up\[gcodenewsetupcopy.xls]Sheet1'!C8:O85,4,FALSE) I know i need to fix part of the equation but don't know how or whic bit. Please help -- Boethius -----------...

Replacing part of a formula
Currently I am working on a project that uses formulas to referenc another sheet in the workbook. I plan to use the newly created shee monthly. However I am in need of changing part of the cell formula. Example one cell says =Nov!D12 and I am needing to change it to rea =Dec!D12 or =Jan!D12 etc.... Any help -- Message posted from http://www.ExcelForum.com One way is to use the INDIRECT function when creating your formulas, eg:- Assuming your month was in say A3 then =INDIRECT(A3&"!A1") will give you the data from cell A1 on whatever sheet is listed in A3. Another option i...

Mpeg Video file
Please help. When I copy and paste an Mpeg movie file / AVI file into my Publisher 2000 system i can then right click and "Change Object", "Media Clip" and "Edit" this allows me to seardch through the video to find the still frame i want and have this then inserted into the document. This works fine on my computer but on my friends computer does not work, the publisher version is the same and the imported video is the same, when he attempts to do the same it comes up with Change package and does not allow him to edit the video at all, I think there must be ...

Missing file still....
I tried running detect and repair and reinstall. Outlook still looks for sku1ca.cab file .... Someone please HELP. -Kyle did you have different versions or suites of office installed? -- Diane Poremsky [MVP - Outlook] Author, Teach Yourself Outlook 2003 in 24 Hours Coauthor, OneNote 2003 for Windows (Visual QuickStart Guide) Outlook Tips: http://www.outlook-tips.net/ Outlook & Exchange Solutions Center: http://www.slipstick.com "Kyle" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:1b9fc01c420fa$8a7ce410$a401280a@phx.gbl... >I tried running detec...

My excel file is too large (5 mb) when it shouldn't be, why?
I have an excel file has ballooned in size for some reason. I have tried to copy all the cells and then used "paste special" to paste just the values and the file size doesn't reduce. I am copying numbers from an investment website into my spreadsheet and there don't appear to be any issues with the pasted cells but I suspect it is causing the file size expansion and very slow performance. I then deleted all the cells around by spreadsheet and it didn't help at all. All suggestions as to how I can fix this problem appreciated. Kenview If you do a Ctl-End, does...

Formula Help #23
If I have a number in cell A1 like 5 and another number in cell A3 like 6 I want the number in A7 to show -1 and if cell A3 was 4 to read +1 and if the numbers are 2 away from A1 then the numbers in cell A7 would be -2 or +2 depending on the number in cell A3. All help is appreciated. Thanks Karl You must be kidding! =A1-A3 -- HTH, RD ============================================== Please keep all correspondence within the Group, so all may benefit! ============================================== "Karl" <Karl@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:21FB7D9E-DC79-42...

backup file size
I've noticed that my backup file size varies considerably. Sometimes its very close to the origonal file size and sometimes its more than 25% larger. Why? In microsoft.public.money, jerry wrote: >I've noticed that my backup file size varies >considerably. Sometimes its very close to the origonal >file size and sometimes its more than 25% larger. Why? You probably did not set Tools->Options->MakeMyFileSmall... "jerry" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:079001c39eb1$491ea150$a401280a@phx.gbl... > I've noticed that m...

how to produce a csv file from a unicode-saved text file
Friends, I have an excel spreadsheet (version 2000) that has Japanese characters. I would like to save it as unicode text file so that I can FTP it to my unix box for loading into an Oracle database. When I save the file as unicode text, it properly preserves the characters, but using whitespace as the delimiters. I would like to change this to a csv, but when I save as the file as CSV, the Japanese characters turn into set of ?? symbols. Is there any way around to create the unicode text file with delimiters other than whitespace? Thanks for any ideas. - Sal ...

Can I import a .pdf file into publisher
I tried to copy and paste from InDesign and it did not work. Can you import any type of file into publisher. Example: .pdf or .eps No. Publisher is pretty much a stand all by itself program. If you can't copy and paste into it, you're kind of sorely out of luck. You can put pictures into a Pub file but you can't go back and edit the individual parts of them, such as text. -- JoAnn Paules MVP Microsoft [Publisher] "Graphix grl" <Graphixgrl@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:88493145-8B59-4131-AD33-C916D22CF63C@microsoft.com... >I tried...

Blocked and safe senders file in Outlook 2003
Hi, I am wondering where outlook 2003 saves the address that you add to the safe sender/recipient and blocked sender list. Outlook XP saved the junk senders in a file called "Junk senders" in C:\Documents and Settings\my_id\Application Data\Microsoft\Outlook I used to backup that file, so I would like to know where Outlook keeps the file now. Thank you The lists are kept in binary values in the Windows registry and also in a hidden item in the mail store (mailbox or PST file). Both lists are kept in one multivalued property although no one has decoded it yet, the bits also s...

Percentage formula in Excel spreadsheet
Hi, In my spreadsheet cell E14 adds up E2 - E14 and cell C14 adds up C2 - C14. In G14 I have put a formula to show the difference between E14 and C14 as a Percentage ( formula for G14 is =SUM(E14-C14)/ABS(E14) ). When the Formula for G14 looks at E14 and C14 all it sees is a SUM formula to add up the column. Does anyone know how to solve this problem. Many thanks for looking. Rick Not sure I understand the problem; tell us what answer or error you ar getting. Also, don't you mean you are summing C2:C*13* in C14 and E2:E*13* i E14? Oh, and you can get rid of the Sum - this ...

Money 2004
I just installed Money 2004 on a new computer. I copied my data directory over and would like to open my existing MNY file. File-Open let's you select the file and then starts a Wizard. As soon as I click Next, Money crashes with the "Money must close" message. Not cool. Any ideas? Anytime you experience unexplained issues like this, you should first run the salvage tool to make sure there is no corruption in your file. If the error keeps happening, then post the problem here. L utz" wrote: > I just installed Money 2004 on a new computer. I copied my da...

open a new instance of excel for each file ? (Vista / Seven)
Hi people, How under Vista & Win7 can we open a new instance of excel for each file ? thx a lot people. ...

HTML link to a specified worksheet within a excel file
From an HTML page I would like to add a link to an EXCEL file but on a specific worksheet? I s this possible Thanks ...

error when opening large file
Hi, I am trying to open a large file in Publisher 2002, and Publisher just closes right up. ANy clues? How large is large? Do you get any error message? Did you create this file or was it passed on to you? -- JoAnn Paules - MVP Microsoft Publisher "sherri" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:1d10701c4229e$127b63b0$a101280a@phx.gbl... > Hi, I am trying to open a large file in Publisher 2002, > and Publisher just closes right up. > > ANy clues? Have you got the garbage trash junk Symantec Norton installed? If you have, RE-move/UN-i...

Music files using "Package for CD" Option in Powerpoint
I am trying to burn my show onto a disk, and the show has songs linked to it. I know the songs are not embedded into the show, so I was looking for a solution for this. I saw the "package for CD" option in the menu and according to that, it is supposed to take your show, and all linked files and burn it onto a disk to be played back using powerpoint viewer. I made sure the box was checked to include linked files. After the disk burned, no music. I tried putting all the music and show in one folder and then running the package for cd tool, still no music. Is ther...

Old emails previously filed into subfolders going to Junk Email
We're on Exchange 2007, and most of the clients run Windows XP with Office 2003. So far this has been running fine. Though recently we've updated some of the clients to Office 2007, these clients are now finding that sometimes emails they've previously open, then filed into subfolders, now appear in their Junk email folder. Also if you right click these emails and mark as not junk, it actually asks if you wish to move back into the specific subfolder it should be in (not the inbox). I've googled and I wasn't able to find any other cases of this, so I'd ...

Using a txt string in formulae
Right this is an anoying little beggar but probably simple and im failing to see the wood from the trees so to speak ! right i have a workbook with multiple sheets and a front sheet the front sheet reports results of counts from the other sheets using =COUNT(sheet1!A:A) and =COUNTIF(Sheet1E:E,"Neg room") and other similair formula my question is this In column A i have the name of the sheet so I.E. A1=sheet1 which hyperlinks to the named sheet and columb B has the first formulae and so on and so on! my question is is there a way i can add the Word name of the sheet the Count form...

pst file repair question
Hey guys, I was in the process of backing up a PST before moving the client to exchange. During this process Mcafee decides to kick on, and locks the computer in question, and the pst file is now showing limited emails, but the whole subfolder structure. The pst is 605 meg, and no matter what i do, i can "recover" about 110 megs of mail. I;ve run scanpst.exe, a few free tools that claim to be able to read pst files. Regardless if i use one of these pst readers, or outlook, it only shows me the 110 meg of mail. So my question is, A> can there really be ~500 of dead spa...