Formula for adding up columns, i.e., B1:B10 + D1:D10 + F1:F10 + H1:H10 + J1:J10

I've never figured this one out.  Went and googled yet again but I'm
obviously not googling for the right thing.  Same as with the help file.
What is the type of formula we use for adding up columns or rows, esp. if
they're broken up by rows/columns in between?

Thanks!

0
noSpam9680 (54)
10/20/2005 6:06:49 PM
excel 39879 articles. 2 followers. Follow

=SUM(B1:B10,D1:D10,F1:F10,H1:H10)

--

Regards,

Peo Sjoblom

"StargateFanFromWork" <noSpam@NoJunkMail.com> wrote in message
> I've never figured this one out.  Went and googled yet again but I'm
> obviously not googling for the right thing.  Same as with the help file.
> What is the type of formula we use for adding up columns or rows, esp. if
> they're broken up by rows/columns in between?
>
> Thanks!

0
terre081 (3244)
10/20/2005 6:12:29 PM
"Peo Sjoblom" <terre08@mvps.org> wrote in message
> =SUM(B1:B10,D1:D10,F1:F10,H1:H10)

A COMMA!!  A @#$#@ comma is what has held me up all this time <lol>.  I
should have asked a lot sooner!

Thanks so much!  It's always the little things that stump us.  Do I ever
feel silly.  :oD

> --
>
> Regards,
>
> Peo Sjoblom
>

> "StargateFanFromWork" <noSpam@NoJunkMail.com> wrote in message
> > I've never figured this one out.  Went and googled yet again but I'm
> > obviously not googling for the right thing.  Same as with the help file.
> > What is the type of formula we use for adding up columns or rows, esp.
if
> > they're broken up by rows/columns in between?
> >
> > Thanks!

0
noSpam9680 (54)
10/20/2005 6:15:30 PM
Sometimes, if you let excel help, you'll have less to remember.

Type:
=sum(
point at the first range (b1:B10)
then ctrl-click and point at the subsequent (D1:d10 and so forth).

Then take a look at your formula.

--

Dave Peterson
0

I had tried that but it didn't work.  I'm guessing I did something wrong.

Thanks.

> Sometimes, if you let excel help, you'll have less to remember.
>
> Type:
> =sum(
> point at the first range (b1:B10)
> then ctrl-click and point at the subsequent (D1:d10 and so forth).
>
> Then take a look at your formula.
>
> StargateFanFromWork wrote:
> >
> > "Peo Sjoblom" <terre08@mvps.org> wrote in message
> > > =SUM(B1:B10,D1:D10,F1:F10,H1:H10)
> >
> > A COMMA!!  A @#$#@ comma is what has held me up all this time <lol>.  I
> > should have asked a lot sooner!
> >
> > Thanks so much!  It's always the little things that stump us.  Do I ever
> > feel silly.  :oD
> >
> > > --
> > >
> > > Regards,
> > >
> > > Peo Sjoblom
> > >

> > > "StargateFanFromWork" <noSpam@NoJunkMail.com> wrote in message
> > if

> --
>
> Dave Peterson

0
noSpam9680 (54)
10/20/2005 6:45:43 PM
I would guess that same thing -- 'cause it worked ok for me.

--

Dave Peterson
0

> Sometimes, if you let excel help, you'll have less to remember.
>
> Type:
> =sum(
> point at the first range (b1:B10)
> then ctrl-click and point at the subsequent (D1:d10 and so forth).
>
> Then take a look at your formula.
>
> StargateFanFromWork wrote:
> >
> > "Peo Sjoblom" <terre08@mvps.org> wrote in message
> > > =SUM(B1:B10,D1:D10,F1:F10,H1:H10)
> >
> > A COMMA!!  A @#$#@ comma is what has held me up all this time <lol>.  I
> > should have asked a lot sooner!
> >
> > Thanks so much!  It's always the little things that stump us.  Do I ever
> > feel silly.  :oD
> >
> > > --
> > >
> > > Regards,
> > >
> > > Peo Sjoblom
> > >

> > > "StargateFanFromWork" <noSpam@NoJunkMail.com> wrote in message
> > if

> --
>
> Dave Peterson

0
noSpam9680 (54)
10/20/2005 8:17:50 PM
Glad it worked for you.

--

Dave Peterson
0

Auto-update Fill Series in column that has randomly spaced blank c
Hi, I have a worksheet of projects listed by quarter. A cell (say A6) contains QTR 1, followed by cells in column A filled with a series (1,2,3...say up to 12). Then comes a blank row followed by a row containing words "QTR 2" and then the fill series continues from where it left under QTR 1 i.e. 13,14,15...say up to 18. And so on for QTR 3 and QTR 4. When a new project is added, I want to be able to add a row and with minimal steps, want the fill series below this added new project, to update. When I delete a row (project), I want the fill series to automatically ...

Sorting pivot table by specific field (column)
Hey guys (and girls), Anyone know how to sort a pivot table by a specific field (not the total sum of the fields)? For instance, if I have 5 years of data 2002-6 and 20 countries. If I make a pivot table of these I get 21 rows (the countries + total) and 6 columns for years (5 years of data + total). If I use the Field Settings --> Advanced --> Sort by field the Pivot table (PT) will be sorted by the sum of the different fields. What if I don't want this, but rater want to sort it by for instance year 2003. How do I do that? Anyone have a nice and clever solution? Much appreciated...

Problems with outgoing e-mail
I am having problems sending e-mails out using my Outlook. I am using a high speed connection in my hotel room. The IT person from the hotel said it's because of their security system (spoofing!?!). I am able to use my browser just fine, Yahoo mail works fine, I receive mail in Outlook fine, but can't send any out The error I get is "The SMTP server name you specified cannot be found". The "My server requires authentication" is checked. I'm afraid it is not my Outlook, and the hotel can't do anything else I appreciate anyone's help. On Wed, 19 May 2004...

add e-mailaddresses
Hi, we are using Exchange 5.5 SP4 in combination with Outlook2003 and I want to let another user (not an administrator) manage some recipient-containers in Exchange 5.5 admin-program. in order to let that user manage e-mailaddresses in that particular recipient-container. Is that only possible with the Exchange admin-program. or is there another way to do that? Thanks. John ...

Fixing a formula
I have the following equation, it is looking up in another worksheet an pulling through information when it finds a match in second file fro cell d in first file. =VLOOKUP(D10,'C:\New Code Se up\[gcodenewsetupcopy.xls]Sheet1'!C4:O81,4,FALSE) This is working but when i copy the equation down a few rows th equation changes to this and it should still be looking at Sheet 1 C to O81. =VLOOKUP(D14,'C:\New Code Se up\[gcodenewsetupcopy.xls]Sheet1'!C8:O85,4,FALSE) I know i need to fix part of the equation but don't know how or whic bit. Please help -- Boethius -----------...

Replacing part of a formula
Currently I am working on a project that uses formulas to referenc another sheet in the workbook. I plan to use the newly created shee monthly. However I am in need of changing part of the cell formula. Example one cell says =Nov!D12 and I am needing to change it to rea =Dec!D12 or =Jan!D12 etc.... Any help -- Message posted from http://www.ExcelForum.com One way is to use the INDIRECT function when creating your formulas, eg:- Assuming your month was in say A3 then =INDIRECT(A3&"!A1") will give you the data from cell A1 on whatever sheet is listed in A3. Another option i...

Formula Help #23
If I have a number in cell A1 like 5 and another number in cell A3 like 6 I want the number in A7 to show -1 and if cell A3 was 4 to read +1 and if the numbers are 2 away from A1 then the numbers in cell A7 would be -2 or +2 depending on the number in cell A3. All help is appreciated. Thanks Karl You must be kidding! =A1-A3 -- HTH, RD ============================================== Please keep all correspondence within the Group, so all may benefit! ============================================== "Karl" <Karl@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:21FB7D9E-DC79-42...

Forwarding e-mail with rules from another e-mail address.
Hi, I have two e-mail accounts. Once I manually forward my mail from the other account to my other e-mail account, I would like Company X's mail to go in the Company X's folder. Any ideas as to how to set up a rule for this? Thanks in advance. Just edit the Rule to add a move action. <moochito@invalid.hotmail.com> wrote in message news:99cmp1pkc7qnp96bp4k72aiogvc11jntb4@4ax.com... > Hi, > > I have two e-mail accounts. > > Once I manually forward my mail from the other account to my other > e-mail account, I would like Company X's mail to go in the C...

Data label above columns??
Hi, I have some stacked column charts and I want the data labels to appear just above each column. Is that possible? I'm using excel 2003 version and the only options i can see for the label positions are "inside end", "center" and "inside base" - so at the moment I'm moving each data label manually and this is very time concuming! Thanks in advance for any advice you offer :) K I'm afraid it's not an option due to the confusion it would cause. If the label is above the stack it refers to, it could be sitting on top of another stack, th...

Copying decimal data to another column to integer 'on the fly'
Hi, I am working on Asset registers/Depreciation Schedules and at the star of the year I need to convert over my previous years spreadsheets (fo about 40 schools) to the new financial year. This means moving the accumulate depreciation at the end of the previous year to being the 'openin depreciation' for the new year. I therefore want to copy a column of figures to another column an paste to that column as values only BUT as INTEGERS. I am running Excel 2003 - 'Paste Only' can solve the 'values' part bu does not have conversion to an integer 'on the fly'. ...

Percentage formula in Excel spreadsheet
Hi, In my spreadsheet cell E14 adds up E2 - E14 and cell C14 adds up C2 - C14. In G14 I have put a formula to show the difference between E14 and C14 as a Percentage ( formula for G14 is =SUM(E14-C14)/ABS(E14) ). When the Formula for G14 looks at E14 and C14 all it sees is a SUM formula to add up the column. Does anyone know how to solve this problem. Many thanks for looking. Rick Not sure I understand the problem; tell us what answer or error you ar getting. Also, don't you mean you are summing C2:C*13* in C14 and E2:E*13* i E14? Oh, and you can get rid of the Sum - this ...

White gridlines that visible over columns?
Does anyone know if or how I can have white major gridlines that are in effect 'on top of' the columns in a chart? I'm trying to create a white backgrounded histogram, with white horizontal gridlines that are effectively only visible as they 'bisect' the coloured columns. Any help appreciated. Jay Hi, You can create your own gridlines using an additional data series plotted as an XY scatter chart. then use the X Error bars to draw your lines. Cheers Andy Jay wrote: > Does anyone know if or how I can have white major gridlines that are in > effect 'on to...

How do I add up a column of figures? on excell spreadsheet
I am doing my accounts in an excell spreadshee and want to add the coloumn of figures where my income is. How do I do it. Normally I would go to formula and just say add, but it does not work the smae on my home computer. Thank you. Dxx Dorothy, use sum, something like =SUM(A1:A100) -- Paul B Always backup your data before trying something new Please post any response to the newsgroups so others can benefit from it Feedback on answers is always appreciated! Using Excel 2002 & 2003 "Dorothy" <Dorothy@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:2BA003FD-0A58-48B...

row numbers & column letters
How do I print the row numbers but not the column letters? Hi AFAIK you can't do this -- Regards Frank Kabel Frankfurt, Germany ALOlson21 wrote: > How do I print the row numbers but not the column letters? Hi AFAIK, I would just move your data over and in the A column use the formula -- =row() That will put the row number in the cell. Then you can copy and paste that formula down your sheet, and if you want put a border around those cells to dress it up a little. Does that help? "Frank Kabel" wrote: > Hi > AFAIK you can't do this > > -- > Re...

Using a txt string in formulae
Right this is an anoying little beggar but probably simple and im failing to see the wood from the trees so to speak ! right i have a workbook with multiple sheets and a front sheet the front sheet reports results of counts from the other sheets using =COUNT(sheet1!A:A) and =COUNTIF(Sheet1E:E,"Neg room") and other similair formula my question is this In column A i have the name of the sheet so I.E. A1=sheet1 which hyperlinks to the named sheet and columb B has the first formulae and so on and so on! my question is is there a way i can add the Word name of the sheet the Count form...

Adding a photo to contact
I can't figure out how to add pictures to my contacts, did Microsoft take this function away with Windows 7/ Windows Live Mail? Why would they do that? You can't add a picture. If the contact adds their picture to WLMessenger, then you will see it. -- Dave N. MS-MVP (Mail) Windows 7 Ultimate http://download.live.com/wlmail "Lunaray" <yar@nehalemtel.net> wrote in message news:eUpSCB81KHA.264@TK2MSFTNGP05.phx.gbl... > I can't figure out how to add pictures to my contacts, did Microsoft take > this function away with Windows 7/...

Automized E-mail dispatch
Hi! I am looking for a way to automatically send an email each monday from a machine with no user logged in. Problem is, the mail needs to contain one of these outlook survey fields where receipients can click "Yes I have read this email and understood its contence" or something like that. Is there a way to do that without actually starting up outlook? Kind Regards Fabienne fabienne.rakusan@gmx.at <fabienne.rakusan@gmx.at> wrote: > I am looking for a way to automatically send an email each monday from > a machine with no user logged in. There MUST be a user logged i...

Column Forumulas
I'm sure this is simple, but i suck with excel. Okay, I want to mulitply column A by column B and paste the product into column C. For example, A2 x B2 = C2, but for say, 100 rows without having to do it by hand. -- GuitarFingers ------------------------------------------------------------------------ GuitarFingers's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php?action=getinfo&userid=34737 View this thread: http://www.excelforum.com/showthread.php?threadid=544964 Select the 100 cells in C, starting at C2 In the formula bar, enter =A2*B2 Use Ctrl-Enter to enter the formula...

consolidating two columns
This is probably an easy one, but I have a spreadsheet with thousands of lines & I need to move column B (phone numbers) into column A (addresses) so that the rows are alternating addresses & phone numbers: NOW: address1 phone number 1 address2 phone number 2 I WANT: address1 phone number1 address2 phone number2 thanks in advance for your help! Do this on a copy of your file!!! Insert a helper column. If your data is in columns A&B, insert a new column A. Start with the first row of data and insert a 1 in the helper column. Then fill down to the last row using...

query returns with more columns than included
Hi, We've noticed on a couple of our queries that when we run the query we get all the columns in the table. However, in design view we see that we have not selected all columns. Anyone know why this happens??? -- MorningStarFan Open the query in design view, click on menu VIEW - SQL View. Look at the SELECT statement and see if there is something like this -- SELECT YourTable.*, or SELECT *, If so, then delete the TableName.asterisk or asterisk. -- KARL DEWEY Build a little - Test a little "MorningStarFan" wrote: > Hi, > > We've notic...

How to index the data of last column
How to index the data of last column if the column contains blank data ex. 1 2 _ 3 4 _ 8 5 if didn't use temp data is it possible to get the "5" by one formula? Thanks a lot Man, that is confusing. :confused: What are you trying to do? -- Mallycat ------------------------------------------------------------------------ Mallycat's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php?action=getinfo&userid=35514 View this thread: http://www.excelforum.com/showthread.php?threadid=553002 =INDEX(1:1,1,MAX((COLUMN(1:1))*(NOT(ISBLANK(1:1))))) Array formula, to be validated w...

Formula Help #31
I have 12 columns in a spreadsheet. One for every month of the year. As each month is completed the data for that month goes in that column. I need a fromula in a specific cell that will return the value of the most recent column (month) that is filled in. So in July it returns the data for July but will return the data for August when a value is placed in that cell. Any suggestions? Thank you. Steve Hubbard Steve, To return the right-most value from row 2 (Assuming your data start starts in column A and extends to the right) use the array formula (entered with Ctrl-Shift-Enter): =IND...

An e-mail which is sent to all my contacts
I have received a e-mail. I have opened it and there was a fhoto that i don´t know, but i clicked it. After that my e-mail address is sending the same e-mail to all my contacts, all the day sending the same e-mail. And after that, i am having a lo t of problem with hotmail too. for example, if i am watching my e-mails, suddenly the page es close. Please help thanks On Mon, 21 Jun 2010 13:52:30 -0700, gonzalo <gonzalo@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote: >I have received a e-mail. I have opened it and there was a fhoto that i don�t >know, but i clicked it. B...

Inter sheet formula won't format properly
Hi MS Excel 2003. I am writing a formula with a reference to a cell in another sheet, and Excel is behaving oddly. Sometimes it will give me the result, ie what is in the target cell, but sometimes it gives me the formula. The formula I am writing is simply ='2'!A22 thereby trying to get cell A22 from the sheet called 2. Why is Excel not always just giving me what's in the target cell? Sometimes all I can see is ='2'!A22. It's driving me nuts. I have looked at all the formatting options with no luck; I have toggled (using Ctrl`) the formula view with the norma...

balance with three columns one row.
ok trying to create a budget that opperates like this Deduction, Start Balance, EndBalance �10 �800 �790 ok its ok if i want to take �10 from the start balance of �800 i get �790, Yippeee , yaeh and yahoooo.... but how do i ..... when the deduction cell is changed to another value, to delete that from the new balance of �790 and not the 800.... please help.... i'ts driving me round the Deduction, Start Balance, EndBalance �10 �800 �780 bend...seriously ...it really is...... --- Message posted from http://www.ExcelForum.co...