Formatting unlocked cells

How to do formatting of unlocked cells?
I have locked certain cells and wish the user to have freedom o
formatting other (unlocked) cells. But once the sheet is protected
formatting etc. are not possible even for unlocked cells.
I am using Excel2000 and under protection password dialogue, the chec
boxes are as 'Contents', 'Objects' & 'Scenarios'.
How to solve the problem

excel 39879 articles. 2 followers. Follow

Hi Bhuktar
You can't, this behaviour is by design in Excel.

HTH
Cordially
Pascal

"Bhuktar S >" <<Bhuktar.S.18lx28@excelforum-nospam.com> a �crit dans le
message de news:Bhuktar.S.18lx28@excelforum-nospam.com...
> How to do formatting of unlocked cells?
> I have locked certain cells and wish the user to have freedom of
> formatting other (unlocked) cells. But once the sheet is protected,
> formatting etc. are not possible even for unlocked cells.
> I am using Excel2000 and under protection password dialogue, the check
> boxes are as 'Contents', 'Objects' & 'Scenarios'.
> How to solve the problem?
>

> ---

papou
6/29/2004 1:37:26 PM
If you have excel 2002 onwards you can format cells if you select that
option when you protect the sheet.

--

Regards,

Peo Sjoblom

"papou" <cestpasbonprobin@�anonpluscg44.fr> wrote in message
> Hi Bhuktar
> You can't, this behaviour is by design in Excel.
>
> HTH
> Cordially
> Pascal
>
> "Bhuktar S >" <<Bhuktar.S.18lx28@excelforum-nospam.com> a �crit dans le
> message de news:Bhuktar.S.18lx28@excelforum-nospam.com...
> > How to do formatting of unlocked cells?
> > I have locked certain cells and wish the user to have freedom of
> > formatting other (unlocked) cells. But once the sheet is protected,
> > formatting etc. are not possible even for unlocked cells.
> > I am using Excel2000 and under protection password dialogue, the check
> > boxes are as 'Contents', 'Objects' & 'Scenarios'.
> > How to solve the problem?
> >

> > ---
> > Message posted from http://www.ExcelForum.com/

0
terre08 (1112)
6/29/2004 1:54:42 PM
Hi Peo
Yes definitely right!
I always seem to forget about other people's versions.

Cordially
Pascal

"Peo Sjoblom" <terre08@mvp.org> a �crit dans le message de
> If you have excel 2002 onwards you can format cells if you select that
> option when you protect the sheet.
>
> --
>
> Regards,
>
> Peo Sjoblom
>
> (No private emails please, for everyone's
> benefit keep the discussion in the newsgroup/forum)
>

> "papou" <cestpasbonprobin@�anonpluscg44.fr> wrote in message
> > Hi Bhuktar
> > You can't, this behaviour is by design in Excel.
> >
> > HTH
> > Cordially
> > Pascal
> >
> > "Bhuktar S >" <<Bhuktar.S.18lx28@excelforum-nospam.com> a �crit dans le
> > message de news:Bhuktar.S.18lx28@excelforum-nospam.com...
> > > How to do formatting of unlocked cells?
> > > I have locked certain cells and wish the user to have freedom of
> > > formatting other (unlocked) cells. But once the sheet is protected,
> > > formatting etc. are not possible even for unlocked cells.
> > > I am using Excel2000 and under protection password dialogue, the check
> > > boxes are as 'Contents', 'Objects' & 'Scenarios'.
> > > How to solve the problem?
> > >

> > > ---
> > > Message posted from http://www.ExcelForum.com/

0
papou

Excel 2007 3 Traiffic Light Conditional Formatting
Does anyone know how to get this to work using the 3-light conditional formatting in Excel 2007 using the reference to another cell? I need it pretty much the same way as listed above, but it is not working for me. Here is the set up I currently have. ROW 1 MTD ACTUAL BUDGET DIFFERENCE ROW 2 120 120 130 -10 I want the 3-Light Conditional Formatting to be used on the MTD column with this formula set up below. GREEN LIGHT >= =D2=0 YELLOW LIGHT >= =D2=(-3) RED LIGHT Why is this not working? Any and every bit of help would be most appreciated! Thanks, nathan Nathan, AFAIK, you ca...

Date formatting without my telling it to
Help. I highlighted an entire line by clicking the line number on the left. I then clicked the "center" shortcut button. My first column is text. The next eight are dates which I entered as "July 17," etc. When I clicked "center," all columns were centered, which is what I wanted. HOWEVER, excel also changed the format of the dates to "17-July." [gerrrrrr] The "undo" button is grayed out. Why?? How can I undo the date re-format?? MPF Select all the cells you want to reformat. Do Format - Cells - Number tab - Date. Select the for...

Change date format on report
My date displays as mddyy in the table but on the report I'd like it to display as mm/dd/yyyy, how would I code that to have that field always display in mm/dd/yyyy format. I'm thinking this is very simple but I just can't get it to work for me. Thank so much for your help. On May 2, 1:50 pm, SITCFanTN <SITCFa...@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote: > My date displays as mddyy in the table but on the report I'd like it to > display as mm/dd/yyyy, how would I code that to have that field always > display in mm/dd/yyyy format. I'm thinking this is very simple...

custom number format #10
Scientific notation To display numbers in scientific format, use "E-," "E+," "e-," or "e+" exponent codes in a section. If a format contains a zero (0) or number sign(# ) to the right of an exponent code, Excel displays the number in scientific format and inserts an "E" or "e". The number of zeros or number signs to the right of a code determines the number of digits in the exponent. "E-" or "e-" places a minus sign by negative exponents. "E+" or "e+" places a minus sign by negative exp...

Pasting Word table cell with paragraph markers into single Excel c
I have a Microsoft Word document that contains a table, each cell of which may contain paragraph markers. I need to copy and paste this table into Excel. However, whenever a cell from the Word table contains paragraph markers, rather than pasting the contents of the entire cell into a single cell in Excel, the paragraph markers are treated as delimiters, and the data is pasted into multiple Excel cells. If the cell from the table in Word contains one paragraph marker, then when I paste that cell to Excel, it pastes it into two cells. If it contains two paragraph markers, then it pa...

Wrap text limits in Excel 2003 cell formatting
We have an Excel document which needs to support rather lengthy text entries. We formatted the cell to wrap the text, but at a certain point, it stops wrapping. In the Knowledge base, I've found basic information regarding formatting cells and it included the following statement. " Select Wrap Text to wrap the text in the selected cell. The number of wrapped lines depends on the width of the column and the length of the cell contents." So I guess my question is does anyone know how to control the number of wrapped lines OR is there a fixed limit to the text wrapping i...

Forms: can a cell itself be clickable?
Hi! I'm trying to create a form for my boss. I'm using the forms toolbar, but what it does is throw in a check box for instance, but if I change the cell in any way, the "picture" of the click box stays where it's at. Any way to change this? In other words, I don't want to the click box to be a picture, I want it to be an integral part of the cell, so I can modify it as needed (ie. place it centrered horizontally or vertically etc. Am I dreaming in colour? Thanks! Carmen I've seen a macro that will insert a checkmark when you select the cell, but I&#...

Conditional Number Formatting
I have a sheet where a number of cells require data input. Dependin where in the world the user of the sheet is, and depending on th preferences of the company the user is working for, there are a numbe of different units (i.e. "Ft" or "m" for length) that the various dat numbers represent. I've created lists of all possible units for each data type and create dropdown boxes to select the appropriate units. What I would like to occur is, depending upon the value selected in th drop-down list box, the data cell will apply a specific Custom Numbe Format. For example, t...

Automatically update cells
Hi all, I am looking for help with the following problem. I would like for two cells to automatically update every time I fill in other cells. For example: Cell A1 is the date cell Cell B1 is the weight cell In column F, I have every date for a month and in column G, I insert a weight I would like for cell A1 to automatically update with the date from column F and cell B1 to automatically update with the weight every time I enter a weight into column G. For example: If column F has every date for a particular month, i.e. 1/3/06 in cell F1 and I enter 50.0 in cell G1, then cell A1 ...

Pictures in Excel cells
Dear friends I want to create a book with personal descriptions, including pictures. But how can I get a picture in an Excel cell? I thought that =HYPERLINK("file.jpg") would be the thing, but the pictures are not retrieved when I combine the Excel sheet to the final Word file. Please help. -- Jos� Do you object if ... Alt > i > p > f and select the picture what you want to import. HTH -- MRT "Jose" <jose@127.0.0.1> wrote in message news:e4nsg59mm09cuqgr2etqtm06jm87idk343@4ax.com... > Dear friends > > I want to create...

Store a picture in a cell
In Excel 2003, is it possible to store a picture in a cell so that if a spreadsheet is sorted, the picture will sort with the rest of the cells? Thanks, Excel doesn't support storing pictures in cells: they are always positioned over the cells. If you need to support sorting with pictures, you'll need some kind of event macro to reposition the pictures after sorting. For this to work you'd also need some way of tying the pictures to the correct cell - how you do this depends on what else is in the table being sorted. For example, you could name the pictures base...

How to lock cell
Hi, How to lock a particular cell without locking the whole work sheet Pls help me. -- Moideen Moideen;1599749 Wrote: > Hi, > > How to lock a particular cell without locking the whole work sheet > > Pls help me. Do you mean have one particular cell that cannot be updated/altered but the rest can? Or do you mean have a locked cell but without protecting the work sheet? -- Spencer101 By default all cells on a sheet are locked when the sheet is protected. Select all cells(CTRL + a...........twice in Excel 2003) then go to format>cells>protection and unlo...

Header and cell referencing
My issue is this: I have 6 sheets. The first sheet contains the clients information. I want to take the last name of the client from the first sheet and have it appear in the header of every sheet after it. How do I create a cell reference inside a header? David David Sub Path_All_Sheets() Set wkbktodo = ActiveWorkbook For Each ws In wkbktodo.Worksheets ws.PageSetup.RightHeader = Sheets("Clients").Range("A1").Text Next End Sub Assumes client's name is in A1 Note: you can do the same thing by right-click on first sheet tab and "select all ...

cell content into a note
hey guys, just curious if this can be achieved or how it can be achieved say i have this Column A Row 1 = Short Description Column B Row 1 = Long descriptoin B2:B10 = are all the short descriptions B2:B10 = are all the long descriptions is there a way to just put the comment into the short description cells from the long description cells via a note and then hide the long description column? can anyone advise as to how this can be achieved? cheers Don't multipost. You could add Comments to the column A cells with the text from Column B cells and have Column B hidden. Sub Comment...

Cell Number Format
Hi, when i type for example this any number with more than 15 digits, the first 15 digits appear like i wrote it but the rest of them are changed by zeros. EX: i write this 123456789123456789 and the number that is kept is 123456789123456000 Does anyone experienced this and knows how to resolve it. Thanks, Ricardo As you can verify in XL Help ("Specifications"), XL is limited to 15 decimal digits of precision for numbers. If you're entering, say, a credit card number, which doesn't require any math to be performed on it, you can preformat the cell as Text or prefix ...

find cell in link file
Hello All, anyone knows how to identify the cells in an Excel sheet refering to an other Excel File (External Links) ?? Regards Herve -- herve ------------------------------------------------------------------------ herve's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php?action=getinfo&userid=27314 View this thread: http://www.excelforum.com/showthread.php?threadid=486490 Hi Herve, Try Bill Manville's FindLink addin which is freely downloadable at: http://www.oaltd.co.uk/MVP/Default.htm --- Regards, Norman "herve" <herve.1yqq9y_1132398001.1254@excelfo...

Move to match cells
My spreadsheet looks like this: A B C D E 1 000801025-8 009601025-3 2007 000801025-8 2007 2 000801026-9 009601026-4 2004 000801026-9 2004 3 000801028-1 009601028-6 2006 000801028-1 2006 4 000801036-8 009601036-3 2008 000801036-8 2008 5 000801044-5 009601044-0 2007 000801044-5 2007 6 000801044-5 009601055-0 2004 000801055-5 2004 7 000801055-5 009601064-8 2001 000801064-3 2001 8 000801055-5 009601091-2 2006 000801091-7 2006 9 000801064-3 009601095-6 2002 000801095-1 2002 10 000801091-7 009601097-8 1998 00...

Format a cell to display decimal hours.
How do I format a cell to display decimal hours? Instead of displaying 3:45 (for 3 hours, 45 minutes), which is one of the standard formats, I'd like to display 3.75 (hours). h.hh doesn't do it. The above is formatting for an elapsed time calculation (finish time minus start time). (On a "time card") Excel 2000. Will a later Excel do it for me? Some good source for a parsing function? Any good reference? Thanks, Fred Holmes Fred, Format the cell in #.## format and multiply your result by 24. http://HelpExcel.com "Fred Holmes" wrote: > How do I forma...

Filter certain cells
Is it possible to only filter certain cells in excel? I am trying to create a spread sheet that has seperate info in certain cells. I would like to be able to filter cells A1:M114 but not cells P1:T30. can this be done? If you mean you want to filter the first range and still see all of P1:T30, then no, not possible. If you don't want them filtered (aka, treated as same entries in a single row) perhaps you can move that info to another row/sheet? -- Best Regards, Luke M *Remember to click "yes" if this post helped you!* "Mike W" wrote: > I...

Nonadjacent Cell Text Overflow
Is there a way to merge nonadjacent cells for text overflow. What I' trying to do is have text entered into a row of merged cells(e.g. Row A1:F1) but if the text is more than the cells can contain to overflo into another nonadjacent row of merged cells(Row3 A1:F1). Thanks fo any help with this -- Db171 ----------------------------------------------------------------------- Db1712's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php?action=getinfo&userid=1591 View this thread: http://www.excelforum.com/showthread.php?threadid=27498 ...

Formatting Phone Numbers in a Merged Cells...
If I want to merge a "Company Name", "Phone Number" and a "Fax" number into 1 cell (for use in a drop down box), is there a way to maintain the 10 digit format for the phone/fax numbers? The phone/fax #'s appear as a string of 10 digits when they are merged, and are hard to read. Currently using a formula like this: =A3&" Phone: "&B3&" Fax: "&C3 I am tired of trying to get it to work, and can't seem to find the answer here. Thank you in advance! One way: =A3 & TEXT(B3,""" Phone:...

Two cells divided into next cell
Hope this makes sense. I have F column that totals down to F16. Then I have a total on D16. I need both totals to be divided and show up on G16. Every cell has $ Amts, but the only cells not totaled down the row are E,G and J. So G16 is blank. Is this possible to do and If so how. I don't even know the formula to Divide and I need this to automatically happen every time I Insert the Amts in the cells. Please help In G16: =D16/F16 "Day" <Day@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:62C49FCC-273A-425B-9EEF-DCF2109A0DD9@microsoft.com... > > ...

Macro to copy cell down
I want to create a macro that will copy the cell above to the active cell. OR the built-in key that will do that tenbob@optonline.net Bob A few seconds with the macro recorder set to "Relative Reference" gave me this. Sub Macro1() ' ' Macro1 Macro ' Macro recorded 11/3/2003 by Gord Dibben ' ' Selection.Copy ActiveCell.Offset(1, 0).Range("A1").Select ActiveSheet.Paste Application.CutCopyMode = False End Sub Gord Dibben XL2002 On Tue, 04 Nov 2003 04:26:28 GMT, Bob K. <tenbob@optonline.net> wrote: >I want to create a mac...

Phone Format
One of my clients is using the letter writting assistant in GP 8, the problem is that when he tries to use LWA(Letter Writting Assistant), having Phone number field is what appears to be in US format, which is really annoying, i was wondering if anyone might have come accross a similar issue. Having said that I am unable to sell modifier to him because of his budget contraints and makes it really useless from his perspective to spend about 2000 odd quid over something this small. Any ideas on how to go about it without using Modifier. Make sure you have v8.0 Service Pack 4 installed...

get data form cells sequentially
Hi there, I have a spreadsheet i am creating which is giving me some amount o hassle!!! I'm sure it is possible to do this but i just cant figure ou how:- I have one worksheet which has many copies of the same table, eac table is consistantly ontop of the other i.e. first table uses cells A - G10 (a rectangle of cells). The dates i am trying to use are in a pattern of a nine row seperatio i.e. first date is in cell G2, next one is G11, next one G20, and s on. I need to find out how i can make a formula which i could copy whic would grab the date out of these cells in sequence for pl...