format to see bottom of cell

I want to find out if there is a way to format a cell so I can view the
bottom half of the cell because there are more text then the height of the
cell.   I don't want to increase the height of the cell.

Thanks in advance
0
tran (3)
4/22/2005 9:19:04 PM
excel 39879 articles. 2 followers. Follow

Maybe an indirect way would be to write the text in the cells into their own
comment boxes ? Then, hovering the mouse over the cell will display the
desired full text in the cell w/o having to increase the row height.

You might wish to check out Dave M's page at:
http://www.mvps.org/dmcritchie/excel/ccomment.htm

Look for: Sub AddComments()

The sub will populate comments in a range with text values of another range
(#addcomments), but you can also select the same source range for the
comments to be written into, not necessarily another range
--
Rgds
Max
"Dang Tran" <Dang Tran@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> I want to find out if there is a way to format a cell so I can view the
> bottom half of the cell because there are more text then the height of the
> cell.   I don't want to increase the height of the cell.
>
> Thanks in advance

0
demechanik (4694)

NOTIFY USER ON DATES IN CELLS
Is there a way in Excel to be notified on the date that is in a cell? For example, several columns of text and numeric data and one column of dates. On each date that appears in the date column you would be notified in some fashion to check the data corresponding to that date? Thanks Dancer, =IF(A2=TODAY(), "Hey, check out the data","") COpy down. -- Earl Kiosterud www.smokeylake.com ----------------------------------------------------------------------- "dancer" <dancer@microsoft.com> wrote in message news:OWGQGV0PHHA.4156@TK2MSFTNGP03.phx.gbl.....

i am trying to format a cell with the oz (ounce) symbol
i need to format cells with weight, similar like one can format with currency. is there such a thing. Try custom format: # "oz." Micky "Nabil" wrote: > i need to format cells with weight, similar like one can format with > currency. is there such a thing. Hi, You can apply a custom format of #" oz" or "oz "# or "Ounces "# Mike "Nabil" wrote: > i need to format cells with weight, similar like one can format with > currency. is there such a thing. Just in case you don’t know ho...

General Novice Questions (Protection, Format)
I have created a spreadsheet and have restricted a row and footing row (totals) from being changed by using the "format cells / protection" feature. I have left all the data entry rows unprotected so that the entry people can make changes. These entry rows have columns with specfics formats like Date, Currency, etc and I make it all look nice with the grid feature. Finally, I set "Tools /Protection/ Protect sheet" to active the protected cells. The problem is how can the user Insert new rows? To get around this, I created enough rows so that the user has the space they n...

how to merge a date file into an excel format
You need to be more specific. Write what you want to do in the Message area, and include the version of Excel you are using. Where is the date file coming from? What format is it? Is it in table format? Carole O "massachusetts" wrote: > ...

Getting the bottom half of a picture to print
I have pasted a photo (that was emailed to me) into a custom sized document (appox. 5x7). I positioned it near the bottom of the document, but well within the non-printable area (.125" from all edges.) Under Arrange, the margins are all set at .013" I have 2 rows selected (page divided in half). The bottom portion (a little less than 1/2 inch) of the picture is cut off when I print, even tho' Print Preview shows the entire picture. I have to move it up that 1/2 inch or more in order to get the whole picture to print. I can print the whole picture in Word, even tho' i...

Pivot Table number format won't save
Hi, I have forms which display in PivotTable view. One column is a percentage of the row total. I have set the number format in the properties sheet to #0% to take the percentage back from two decimal places to none. This works fine while the form is still open. If I click save and close the form the next time I open it the formating is back to two decimal places. How do I retain the number formating, please? John -- John Whyte ...

Repeating cell-contents
A1 contains "Smith" A53 contains "Jones" A459 contains "Smith" A1072 contains "Peterson" A23405 contains "Smith" A45234 contains "Samantha" What formula can I use to put: "Smith" in B1 thru B52 blanks in B53 thru B458 "Smith" in B459 thru B1071 blanks in A1072 thru B23404 "Smith" in A23405 thru B45233 blanks in A45234 thru A65536 Thanks, Gary Hi Gary try the following: In B1 enter =A1 in B2 enter =IF(A2="",B1,IF(B1="",A2,"")) and ...

How do I work on one page without seeing other pages
How do I work on one page without seeing other pages on my monitor. I only want to see one page at a time, not multiple pages. Mike What do you mean by one page? As in one worksheet, or as in print layout? "Mike Defillo" wrote: > How do I work on one page without seeing other pages on my monitor. I only > want to see one page at a time, not multiple pages. > Mike Just as you would with MS Word it may go to a second page if the first one is full but why does Excel show other pages to the right of the page I am working? When I scroll to the right the page keeps going a...

Format Row based on text value in cell
I want to format a row based on the value of one of the cells in the row. Basically, I want to set the color of the row to green if a particular cell in the row is COMPLETE and red otherwise. How can I do this? Thanks, B. Search for "Conditional Formatting" in Excel help. Also, you can find help for Conditional Formatting on Chip's website, http://www.cpearson.com/excel.htm Hope that helps! Eric Maybe you'll like to experiment with this as well .. Assume the target row is row2, the particular cell in the row is B2, and the spec "COMPLETE" means B2 contai...

How to align the bottom lines of 2-column pages?
I have compiled a bi-lingual dictionary (left to right and right to left) using Word 2007; with the result that the bottom lines of a 2-column page cannot be aligned; understandably so. Now, I want to import the documents to Microsoft Publisher 2007, where I know that aligning those bottom lines together can be done - but how? Any help offered will be much appreciated! How are you planning to export the text from Word? How many columns per page? Will your dictionary be in booklet form? Are your definitions in two different Word files? -- Mary Sauer http://msauer.mvps.or...

HELP: Search a formula inside of a Cell
I am trying to compare some old spreadsheets and upgrade to the new and have a case in try to determine if a value was added to a formula inside a cell. So I would like to do a search/find on the contents of the FORMULA in the cell. Example: Cell A1 Contains a formula +F12+F34+F67 Is there a function that can search the formula? Example: FIND "F34" in cell A1. Everything I can see so far you can only search the results, not the formula. Thank you in advance for your help!!! Mike formula are strings. Usually I use the FIND in the worksheet menu to locate the form...

Numbering and Formatting
So I have been given the task of editing a document..... and the owner wants to know if I can insert a link in a sentence to a certain numbered bullet on another page in the document (wants the actual number to be displayed). Then..... if the number of the bullet changes for some reason he wants the number in the sentence to change as well. Sentence: For further instruction please see # 5. so if the list of bullets gets edited, he wants the # 5 in the sentence to automatically change to what the new # is in the list. Is this possible? Make sense? I hope so Did the ...

Formatting time sum field
I want to calculate the difference between two date fields and display as total days:hours:minutes. Is this possible? I've used DateDiff('n',[StartDate],[EndDate]) to calculate the difference as minutes, but don't know how to format the result as days:hours:minutes. (The ":" separator isn't critical. Just want the results all shown in one field.) Any ideas? Thanks in advance. -- Paul Paul If you try to use Access date/time formatting, as soon as you total more than 24 hours it appears to "reset". You'll need to create (or locate) a pr...

Can't see window toolbars and cant access switchboard -how 2 fix?
A designer took off the ability to use the main toolbar or view the switchboard, therefore can't update linked tables now that we're moving the database to a new server. Is there a way to re-enable these toolbars or update the link to the new location a different way? Thanks Try pressing and holding the Shift key while opening the database. Unless the designer removed this option you will by able to bypass the startup options, which means you will see the default toolbar and the database window, and will be able to make design changes. "Suzanne" <Suzanne@discussio...

Any way to freeze cell format? borders, shadding, fonts ...
I often make nice borders, with fonts and shading. And i have data inside this chart. Then sure enough, I end up needing to change all kind of data, and move the data to different columns and rows. when a move a cell it it also move the border and any other formating. So now I have a hole in my border, which is time consuming to fix. Any way to freeze the border and formating, so you can move the cells around but not the formating of the cells? I found a way around this problem, but it is not perfect (copy and paste format, from a template I made). Any ideas? thanks. On Feb ...

PivotTable page field list- limiting what a user sees
Folks, I am creating an automotive Winter & All Season Tire listing. What I would like to provide from a pivottable is, from 3 page field items a user picks; 1) Type (Winter or All Season) 2) Rim size (13,14,15,16,17 or 18 inch) 3) a list of only those tires which meet the above What I am getting now from the drop dwon lists is; 1) Type works fine 2) shows 13,14,15,16,17,18 and then repeats 13,14,15,16,17,18 3) shows all tires sizes (which is above 30 items long instead of about 4-5) Any thoughts on how this might be done with VB etc. ...

Hiding & Unhiding Cells, How to
XL 2003 & 97 This should be easy but .... Attempted to hide certain cells by alternately clicking or unclicking (Locked / Hidden) boxes on the respective Cells' Protection Tab - then locking the worksheet. My luck ...!? the cells are still visable! What obvious step am I missing? ********************************** The real goal is that I want (via VBA) to unhide all hidden cells in all worksheets in a workbook. I have the code to unhide Rows and Columns. (What about individual cells? Should that be a separate step? I think so.) In addition, I would like to find, and reset...

Formats of Imported Data
When importing from Crystal 8.5 into Excel 2000, formats such as percentages and dates cannot be readily updated. I have to enter the format needed and Copy / Paste Special Formats to get the correct format. Is there an easier way? -- Hudd Hi see your other post -- Regards Frank Kabel Frankfurt, Germany Hudd wrote: > When importing from Crystal 8.5 into Excel 2000, formats such as > percentages and dates cannot be readily updated. I have to enter the > format needed and Copy / Paste Special Formats to get the correct > format. Is there an easier way? ...

i cant even type in a cell
can anyone help me on how to use this trial version? i cant even type inside a cell I'm sure there is a lot of people willing to help, but it will be on your side to give us some help giving us more details of your problem, like what version?, is it excel? maybe is a VIEWER?...Why can't you type.......... "donna" wrote: > can anyone help me on how to use this trial version? i cant even type inside > a cell yes its excel. I already activated the trial version on the PC I just bought but it wont let me test the trial version. It wont even let me type into a ce...

Cell Count
I have a spead sheet with 25 rows and 90 columns. These rows have been Conditionaly formated in such a way that there are 4 distince groups. For example Row 1 has numbers ranging from 1 to 400 My conditional format was that if the cell value was between 1 to 100 -- Fill the cell with the color blue If the cell value was between 101 to 200 -- Fill the cell with the color yellow If the cell value was between 201 to 300 -- Fill the cell with the color green If the cell value was between 301 to 400 -- Don't fill the cell with any color The result game me what I wanted now Is there any way...

Cell reference data not displaying in chart
I use a chart where a certain datapoint has to be entered twice. I' like to change it to enter the data once and have the data appear i the referenced cell and as part of a simple bar chart. Here are th particulars: In cell B27 I enter the datapoint for the first tim (58.7). Currently, I have to enter that same datapoint in cell F24 That same datapoint is part of a three cell source for a simple ba chart. When I try to use a cell reference, the bar is flat depicting n data. Here's what I mean; If I put the data (58.7) into cell B27, an put the datapoint reference in cell F24 (=B27), t...

Formatting Lost When Multiple Cells are blank
I provide technical support for software users. These users export data from the software with multiple columns and multiple rows. One column for End Date is formatted as Custom format Type: m/d/yyy" "h\:mm\:ss AM/PM. These files are often very large, sometimes over 55,000 rows. The problem happens when there are multiple rows in a row without data. It seems as if the formatting is lost. For example, the first ten rows have data recorded (date and time) and there are then 500 rows with blank data and then the next ten rows (rows 511 through 521) have data. These cell...

date format using dot / period
I have a user that did a custom format for a column to be mm.dd.yyyy. When I type the date using slashes - Excel recognizes the data as a date. However, my user typed the data using dots. I told her to find and replace the dots and make them slashes to make the information correctly sort. But I am curious, is there a way for excel to recognize numbers seperated with a dot as a date opposed to an integer or decimal number? thank you Only be either changing the windows settings for date delimiters (not recommended) or using a macro that will change the dots to date delimiters like / ...

Why can't I see format changes in Excel?
I am working in excel and making format changes (i.e. font color changes) but I can't see them in the worksheet. But if I print preview or print the worksheet the format changes are there Karen If this is a problem with all Excel files with coloured cells, the Windows OS high contrast setting may be turned on. There is information in the following MSKB article: OFF: Changes to Fill Color and Fill Pattern Are Not Displayed http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-ca;320531 Gord Dibben Excel MVP On Tue, 6 Dec 2005 05:38:03 -0800, "Karen-Acct" <Karen-Ac...

Cell Format Issue #2
This is a multi-part message in MIME format. ------=_NextPart_000_0037_01CA58D2.8F898010 Content-Type: text/plain; charset="iso-8859-1" Content-Transfer-Encoding: quoted-printable In sports, there are win-loss figures. I.e. 2-0 mean 2 wins and no = losses. However, to put "2-0" is a cell and have it display as "2-0" is = not easy. Most of the time Excel decides that you are entering a date = and formats it like one. Even if I tell excel to format it as text, = Excel does not display "2-0". What is the answer, please? Dennis ------=_NextPart_000...