Format Referencing

How can I make it so not only the values in the cell but the formatting
to that cell is referenced as well.  Take for example I have a number
"22" in a cell, but it is bolded and italicized as well as centered.
Is there a way to copy these formats over as well?

--
londar
londar's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php?action=getinfo&userid=32970

excel 39879 articles. 2 followers. Follow

If you're using a formula (like =A1), then formulas don't work like that.  They
return values.

But you could Edit|copy and Edit|paste to copy the cell.

londar wrote:

> How can I make it so not only the values in the cell but the formatting
> to that cell is referenced as well.  Take for example I have a number
> "22" in a cell, but it is bolded and italicized as well as centered.
> Is there a way to copy these formats over as well?
>
> --
> londar
> londar's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php?action=getinfo&userid=32970
> View this thread: http://www.excelforum.com/showthread.php?threadid=560819

--

Dave Peterson
0

So basically =Sheet1!A1  + I want all the cell formatting that goes
along with it.

--

londar wrote:

> I need it to be dynamically referenced so any changes to that cell would
> be reflected on the new page.
>
> So basically =Sheet1!A1  + I want all the cell formatting that goes
> along with it.
>
> --
> londar
> londar's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php?action=getinfo&userid=32970
> View this thread: http://www.excelforum.com/showthread.php?threadid=560819

--

Dave Peterson
0
petersod (12005)
7/12/2006 8:29:25 PM
well then would there be a way to reference an entire worksheet to wor
the same as a template page.

Basically what I am trying to create is somthing for my company so whe
I add a new location, it creates a new worksheet and all thes
worksheets look the exact same so when the customer comes in the forma
is easy to read and stylized to their liking

--
londa
londar's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php?action=getinfo&userid=3297
View this thread: http://www.excelforum.com/showthread.php?threadid=56081

You could copy and paste.  Then the formatting will travel with the paste.  But
the "receiving" cell won't change format if you change the "sending" cell's
format.

londar wrote:

> well then would there be a way to reference an entire worksheet to work
> the same as a template page.
>
> Basically what I am trying to create is somthing for my company so when
> I add a new location, it creates a new worksheet and all these
> worksheets look the exact same so when the customer comes in the format
> is easy to read and stylized to their liking.
>
> --
> londar
> londar's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php?action=getinfo&userid=32970
> View this thread: http://www.excelforum.com/showthread.php?threadid=560819

--

Dave Peterson
0
petersod (12005)
7/12/2006 10:40:09 PM
Alright then is there a way to reference the format of an entire
worksheet, different sizing for different cells, have THAT remain
static, or linked to a template page, and the value of the cells
referenced from another?

--
londar
londar's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php?action=getinfo&userid=32970
View this thread: http://www.excelforum.com/showthread.php?threadid=560819

Not that I know.

londar wrote:

> Alright then is there a way to reference the format of an entire
> worksheet, different sizing for different cells, have THAT remain
> static, or linked to a template page, and the value of the cells
> referenced from another?
>
> --
> londar
> londar's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php?action=getinfo&userid=32970
> View this thread: http://www.excelforum.com/showthread.php?threadid=560819

--

Dave Peterson
0
petersod (12005)

PDF Format for Excel
Can Excel spreadsheets be save in PDF format? Thom, Excel can't save files directly to PDF files. You need a third party product like Adobe's Acrobat (full version, not just the free Reader), or something like PDF995 (www.pdf995.com) . -- Cordially, Chip Pearson Microsoft MVP - Excel Pearson Software Consulting, LLC www.cpearson.com "Thom" <thancox@lgbcpa.com> wrote in message news:090401c3cfb4$a5eef630$a501280a@phx.gbl... > Can Excel spreadsheets be save in PDF format? Thom, Yes, but you need a program capable of doing so... A popular one is Adobe Acrob...

How do I clear the formating of the area OUTSIDE my chart on my w.

Conditional format on adjacent cells
Hi All, what am I doing wrong?? I want cells A1 to G1 to conditionally format (to red) if they are ALL empty, but if ANY one (or more) of them contain data (text) then NONE of them should format. I tried the formula =ISBLANK(A1:G1) then asigned a format, but for some reason A1 only responds to the data in A1 and seems to ignore the rest of the range, I've also tried similar range with formula ="" and cell value is equal to "". I am sure this must be possible but just can't find it. I'v been at this for three weeks now. Please put me out of my miss...

Joining formatted cells
I need to join (concatenate) two cells that have been custom formatted. Both cells contain numbers. The second cell is a number ranging fro 0001 to 2211. When joining the cells, Excel drops the leading zeroe from the result which I need. I have tried forcing the format on Cell2 to ####...text, etc...nothin has worked thus far. Example: Cell1: 123456 Cell2: 0034 Needed result: 123456-0034 Actual result: 123456-34 Anyone help me keep my leading zeroes in the result?? : -- tonywa ----------------------------------------------------------------------- tonywar's Profile: http://www.e...

brochure, booklet, pamphlet format
I just imported a Lotus 123 file into Excel. In Lotus it was in a format which exact name escapes me now but it was booklet or brochure or pamphlet. It subdided a regular sheet of paper into two in landscape, giving two pages at 8.5" tall by 5.5" wide. The pages would print side by side with proper headers and footers over each page. Then I simply cut the pages in two. In Excel I cannot figure out how to do this. it just prints the page in landscape with header and footers going right across the page and the page not subdivided ...

Finding all the Formats used in an Excel Sheet
Hi, I want to find all the formats which have been used in excel sheet. Can you please provide some VBA/Code to retrieve the same? Regards, Brijesh Hi Brijesh.. This may not be a direct solution�.but still.. Create a short cut ke for this macro. You may go to each cell and press shortcut key t display the format..Expand � If� clause, for other formats also� Sub ContentChk() If Application.IsText(ActiveCell) = True Then MsgBox "Text" Else If ActiveCell = "" Then MsgBox "Blank cell� Else End If If ActiveCell.HasFormula Then MsgBox "formula"...

Date Formats-Weeks in Date No
Good morning, I have a graph that runs from a query. Recipients of a group wanted data shown in weeks so I entered: Week No: (Format([DateIR],"ww"" '""yy")) Results were: 1 '07; 2 '07; 3 '07 etc. They would like to see the 'week period' i.e. 'Jan 1-Jan 6' say, rather than the 'week number'. Can someone please advise me how you enter it to get the this information. The graph runs by week for the whole year. Thank you, IEJ Good morning, Thank you. I'll give it a try and see if it works. Regards, IEJ "KA...

Formating a column of numbers
I have a column of 17 digits (it is a vin number for vehicles) I need to be able to peel off all numbers (and letters) in this column except for the last eight digits. Once that is done I can then do the sort that I need. What's the easiest way to do this? Thanks! Greg Scarff Scarff Auto Center Buick Pontiac GMC 1212 South Main St. Kalispell, MT 59901 (406) 755-7777 salesdept@scarffauto.com Hi Greg, If your VIN is in cell A1 then in B1 have the formula =RIGHT(A1,8) and copy this down. Note that before sorting this new list you will have to copy the 8 character values and paste ...

Disabling tables formatting features in Word2000 and Word2003
How can I disable the automatic table numbering and indenting features in MS Word? Jim Hawkins By asking in a Word newsgroup, not Windows XP. "Jim Hawkins" <jimhawkins@manx.net> wrote in message news:uRjHU6eELHA.588@TK2MSFTNGP06.phx.gbl... : : How can I disable the automatic table numbering and indenting : features in MS Word? : : Jim Hawkins : : : Bickford Shmeckler wrote: > By asking in a Word newsgroup, not Windows XP. > Such as ? I could only find 3 newsgroups about Word, one in hebrew, one in arabic and a third in a l...

How do I format text as a bulleted item in Excel? Is it possible?
It's a manual effort. You can use Insert|Symbol (if you're using xl2002+) or copy the bullet you want from CharMap. (Windows start button|charmap). You'll have to select that character in the formulabar and change the font to what you want. Chip Pearson has an addin that may help (if you're using xl2k or lower). http://www.cpearson.com/excel/download.htm (look for Symbolizer and make sure you get the correct version) DRB wrote: -- Dave Peterson Dave Peterson <petersod@verizonXSPAM.net> wrote in news:43062E62.984DE524@verizonXSPAM.net: > Or with: http://...

How do I send RTF formated mail using VB.NET?
I am currently using a VB.NET program to send out e-mails with plain text bodies (plus one attachment). The emails are being received as Rich Text messages (probably just my personal Outlook default, because I didn't do this in the program), but there is no actual formatting (italics, color, etc.) in the message body, which is passed to from VB.NET to Outlook as an unformatted text String. I want to start applying formatting to the message body. In particular, my app has a RichTextBox, which has an Rtf property, which returns a String formatted as RTF, which contains whatever my users t...

Formatting (macros or templates)?
What is the best way to apply consistently apply formatting to excel spreadsheets? I have spreadsheets that dump from S-Plus. I need to format them in a Memo type format with the company logo at top and other header info. What's the best way to do this, a template in word or macros in excel? Thanks for any advice. ...

day:hour:minute:second format
I want to put data in a day: hour: minute: second format and be able to multiply it by a number. I’m doing this in order to create a calculator that will allow me to see if the memory with a standard memory card last 5 day 1 hour and 51 minutes how long will it last if the memory is increased by 4 Custom format: d:hh:mm:ss This assumes that you are correctly inputting the values in. Remember that days are stored as integers, and time is stores as a decimal. -- Best Regards, Luke M *Remember to click "yes" if this post helped you!* "Seth J" wr...

Default Text Formatting During Import
Is there a way to set the default format during text import from "General" to "Text" without having to select every column individually and change the value. I import bills of materials with long part numbers, sometimes the long part numbers have only digits 0-9. If these fields are not changed to "text" with the import wizard, I get scientific notation on the part numbers. I would like a way to just globally default to "text" format for all imports. If your text files are always the same layout, maybe you could record a macro when you do it once manua...

Conditonal Format based on two different criteria
Hi all. In column A I have a list of a bunch of different test names. In column D we have times associate with each test. I would like to make a conditional format that will check column A for a specific test name and then check to see if the time in column D meets a certain requirement. This is what I have tried but can't seem to get it to work. =AND($A$4="CBC",D$4$>.0416) Anyone got any ideas? It should work...make sure your time really is greater than 0.416, and not something like 0.41599999999 -- Best Regards, Luke M "Chad_Oglesbay" ...

Conditional Format Help
How do I write a conditional format that applies to "=$N$13:$N$22,$N$31:$N$40" where If $L13<$N13 fill the cell RED. This is what I have in the Format values where this formula is true box: "="$L13<$N13". But it doesn't work. Any ideas? Thanks Try getting rid of the quotation marks "Ayo" wrote: > How do I write a conditional format that applies to > "=$N$13:$N$22,$N$31:$N$40" where If $L13<$N13 fill the cell RED. This is > what I have in the Format values where this formula is true box: > "=&quo...

How to restore styles in a document to their original format
When a paragraph is based on a style, say "Heading 1", if somebody changes it then Word 2007 may update the list of styles with a new version of the style and gives it a new name, say "Heading 1,PRTM Heading 1" and applies all the user's changes to it. "Heading 1" is now no longer available in its original form even when show "All Styles" is selected from the style manager. How can one strip all the modifications and restore it back to the "Heading 1" as it was in the document template? To restore the styles of the attache...

Send the attachment without ZIP format compression.
Version: 2008 Operating System: Mac OS X 10.5 (Leopard) Where is the default setting to remove the .ZIP format when sending any type of attachment. I send a .doc, .jpeg, etc and Entourage AUTOMATICALLY ADDS THE .ZIP TO THE FILE EXTENSION. VERY ANNOYING AS MOST RECEIVERS CANNOT OPEN THE ATTACHMENTS. On 2010-04-12 19:52:34 -0400, sunsyl@officeformac.com said: > Where is the default setting to remove the .ZIP format when sending any > type of attachment. I send a .doc, .jpeg, etc and Entourage > AUTOMATICALLY ADDS THE .ZIP TO THE FILE EXTENSION. It's in the preferen...

help macro for formatting pie chart
Hi I've got a macro for formatting pie charts in a report that I produce. The idea is that any count under 3 is not shown in the pie chart. The macro seems to work for most tables, but doesn't work when there are blank cells at the end of a table or the final column has a blank cell - it puts 0% labels on the pie chart. Can anyone help please (my vba skills are very rusty....) - I've copied the code below.... Thanks! :) Sub CalloutsChartData1() ' declare variables Dim intCount As Integer Dim intlength As Integer Dim ChartValue As String Dim strStart As String Dim s...

= Format("h:m:s")
I have built a calculation in access that takes "time 2" - "time 1" and provides a result of the lasped times. The expression gives back the answer. It looks like Expr1 0.00106481481634546 Now if I export it to Excel and format the cell to Time and will provide me a time value that I can understand. What I would like to do is have the results of the querry do it for me. Once this is done I would ask for all values => 60 seconds Any help is always welcomed. -- Dinellest On Mon, 4 Feb 2008 09:59:01 -0800, dinellest <dinellest@discussions.microsoft.com>...

Formatting worksheets
I am trying to create a financial year workbook April 04 March 05 with fixed headings ie date, item, etc etc across the top set at the spacings I require. I have created the first worksheet and named it April 2004, how do I then copy these settings into the next 11 worksheets with all the headings and spacings the same? Hi One way is to copy the whole sheet: drag the tab of the sheet while holding down Ctrl. You can then rename the sheet tabs as you wish. Make sure your print settings are as you want as well - these will be copied at the same time so you might as well benefit from th...

Conditional Formatting question...
Is there a way to have Excel look in a particular cell, and if the value in the cell meets a requirement (such as Complete), then shade the entire row a different color? I can use conditional formatting to get the one cell shaded, but I can't get the rest of the row to be shaded. Thanks! Dino Try using an absolute reference in your Conditional Format formula. For example, if the cell that contains the value "complete" is A1, then refer to it as $A$1. "Dino" wrote: > Is there a way to have Excel look in a particular cell, and if the value in > the ce...

Message Box Formating
Is there a procedure that can be used to change the font and background colors for message boxes? -- Enjoy the blessings of the day. jerry Jerry, No, you can't change the font or colors of a message box. -- Cordially, Chip Pearson Microsoft MVP - Excel Pearson Software Consulting, LLC www.cpearson.com "Gerald Evans" <gerald.j.evans@worldnet.att.net> wrote in message news:vkaod.950527$Gx4.387440@bgtnsc04-news.ops.worldnet.att.net... > Is there a procedure that can be used to change the font and > background > colors for message boxes? > > -- >...

"conditional formatting" "#values"
I have a formula that works fine but... some of the cells show #values, what i would like to do is conditional formatting them to white font if = #values. Any pointers? many thanks Try this: Select the cells to be impacted (I'll assume A1:A10, with A1 as the active cell) From the Excel main menu: <format><conditional formatting> Condition_1 Formula is: =ISERROR(A1) Click the [Formatting] button.....set the White font....Click the [OK] buttons. Does that help? *********** Regards, Ron XL2002, WinXP "Dewi..." wrote: > I have a formula that works fine bu...

Independently Formatting Columns and Rows
Version: 2008 Operating System: Mac OS X 10.6 (Snow Leopard) Processor: Intel Is there a way to independently format the width of a column on specific cells? In other words, if I wanted to change the width of the cells in the middle of the document, can I do so without affecting the width of the cells above it and below it? On 2010-05-28 12:40:38 -0400, monks617@officeformac.com said: > Version: 2008 Operating System: Mac OS X 10.6 (Snow Leopard) Processor: > Intel Is there a way to independently format the width of a column on > specific cells? In other words, if I want...