Format conversion #2

I have a column of numbers defined "date" by a "dd/mm/yyyy" format, now for
my commodity I enter dates by  hitting "dd-mm-yyyy" where often dd and mm
are made of only one figure, now it often happens that these dates are
converted in the wanted dd/mm/yyyy format, but often they don't
where am I wrong?
il barbi

excel 39879 articles. 2 followers. Follow

On Mon, 18 Oct 2010 11:35:17 +0200, "il barbi"
<angeieri.barboggi@ngi.it> wrote:

>I have a column of numbers defined "date" by a "dd/mm/yyyy" format, now for
>my commodity I enter dates by  hitting "dd-mm-yyyy" where often dd and mm
>are made of only one figure, now it often happens that these dates are
>converted in the wanted dd/mm/yyyy format, but often they don't
>where am I wrong?
>il barbi

Excel will parse your date entry according to your Windows Regional
Settings.  It then stores the date as a serial number with 1= 1 Jan
1900 (unless using the 1904 date system).

Depending on the actual dates you are trying to enter, Excel may
convert them or see them as text.  And if your windows regional
settings are not also DMY, the conversion may not be what you expect.

The column format setting is used only for *display* of the dates.

You can check the value that Excel is storing by examining the formula
bar at the top, when the cell is selected.

0
ron6368 (329)
10/18/2010 10:32:50 AM
If you are entering dates in the current year, you don't need to enter
the year - just put in:

dd/mm

and Excel will convert it, assuming that your Regional settings expect
dd/mm/yyyy. It doesn't matter if you only have a single digit day or
month.

Hope this helps.

Pete

On Oct 18, 10:35=A0am, "il barbi" <angeieri.barbo...@ngi.it> wrote:
> I have a column of numbers defined "date" by a "dd/mm/yyyy" format, now f=
or
> my commodity I enter dates by =A0hitting "dd-mm-yyyy" where often dd and =
mm
> are made of only one figure, now it often happens that these dates are
> converted in the wanted dd/mm/yyyy format, but often they don't
> where am I wrong?
> il barbi

0
pashurst (2576)
10/18/2010 12:05:32 PM
"Pete_UK" <pashurst@auditel.net> ha scritto nel messaggio
If you are entering dates in the current year, you don't need to enter
the year - just put in:

dd/mm

and Excel will convert it, assuming that your Regional settings expect
dd/mm/yyyy. It doesn't matter if you only have a single digit day or
month.

Hope this helps.

Pete

--------------------------------

no I'm entering dates such as dd-mm-18yy or dd-mm-19yy, the puzzle is that
many times they are converted to dd/mm/yyyy but many times they don't...
Moreover if I try to convert them by selecying the entire column and setting
the format dd/mm/yyyy no change is effected
il barbi

On Mon, 18 Oct 2010 22:12:07 +0200, "il barbi"
<angeieri.barboggi@ngi.it> wrote:

>no I'm entering dates such as dd-mm-18yy or dd-mm-19yy, the puzzle is that
>many times they are converted to dd/mm/yyyy but many times they don't...
>Moreover if I try to convert them by selecying the entire column and setting
>the format dd/mm/yyyy no change is effected
>il barbi

Perfectly understandable.  See my earlier response.

What are your Windows Regional Settings?  (under Start/Control Panel)
0
ron6368 (329)
10/18/2010 8:51:30 PM
"Ron Rosenfeld" <ron@nospam.net> ha scritto nel messaggio
> On Mon, 18 Oct 2010 22:12:07 +0200, "il barbi"
> <angeieri.barboggi@ngi.it> wrote:
>
>>no I'm entering dates such as dd-mm-18yy or dd-mm-19yy, the puzzle is that
>>many times they are converted to dd/mm/yyyy but many times they don't...
>>Moreover if I try to convert them by selecying the entire column and
>>setting
>>the format dd/mm/yyyy no change is effected
>>il barbi
>
> Perfectly understandable.  See my earlier response.
>
> What are your Windows Regional Settings?  (under Start/Control Panel)

italian

il barbi

On Tue, 19 Oct 2010 10:46:36 +0200, "il barbi"
<angeieri.barboggi@ngi.it> wrote:

>"Ron Rosenfeld" <ron@nospam.net> ha scritto nel messaggio
>> On Mon, 18 Oct 2010 22:12:07 +0200, "il barbi"
>> <angeieri.barboggi@ngi.it> wrote:
>>
>>>no I'm entering dates such as dd-mm-18yy or dd-mm-19yy, the puzzle is that
>>>many times they are converted to dd/mm/yyyy but many times they don't...
>>>Moreover if I try to convert them by selecying the entire column and
>>>setting
>>>the format dd/mm/yyyy no change is effected
>>>il barbi
>>
>> Perfectly understandable.  See my earlier response.
>>
>> What are your Windows Regional Settings?  (under Start/Control Panel)
>>
>italian
>
>il barbi

Assuming you haven't changed your Windows Regional Short Date format
setting from dd/MM/yyyy

1.  When you enter a date that does not convert, what do you see when
you select that cell and look at the formula bar (near the top of the
Excel window; usually has an "fx"  next to it)?

2.  Will a particular date always fail to convert?  Or does that
happen only some of the time for a particular date?

3.  If it is the same date(s) that fail to convert, please supply
examples.

4.  If the same date might sometimes convert, and sometimes not, then
either the cell was formatted as text BEFORE you made the data entry;
you inadvertently (or you have a keyboard problem) entered some
character prior to entering the date.

5.  For a date that does not convert, please supply the data you
actually entered as well as the results of the following:
	=ISTEXT(cell_ref)
	=CODE(cell_ref)
and, before making any format changes to the cell
	=CELL("format";cell_ref)

where cell_ref is the cell address for the misbehaving cell.

0
ron6368 (329)
10/19/2010 10:29:40 AM
> On Tue, 19 Oct 2010 10:46:36 +0200, "il barbi"
> <angeieri.barboggi@ngi.it> wrote:
>
>>"Ron Rosenfeld" <ron@nospam.net> ha scritto nel messaggio

>>> Perfectly understandable.  See my earlier response.
>>>
>>> What are your Windows Regional Settings?  (under Start/Control Panel)
>>>
>>italian
>>
>>il barbi
>>

> Assuming you haven't changed your Windows Regional Short Date format
> setting from dd/MM/yyyy

ok I see so in this window

> 1.  When you enter a date that does not convert, what do you see when
> you select that cell and look at the formula bar (near the top of the
> Excel window; usually has an "fx"  next to it)?

I see merely what I typed, e.g. "12-11-1889"

> 2.  Will a particular date always fail to convert?  Or does that
> happen only some of the time for a particular date?

no this happens with random date values

> 5.  For a date that does not convert, please supply the data you
> actually entered as well as the results of the following:
> =ISTEXT(cell_ref)  -----> I get error #NOME?  that is #NAME?
> =CODE(cell_ref)   ------> I get the same error
> and, before making any format changes to the cell
> =CELL("format";cell_ref)  --------> I get "G"
>
> where cell_ref is the cell address for the misbehaving cell.

il barbi

PS now I've found a simple way to override the problem, namely I type these
dates on the numeric keyboard by dividing days - months and years with the
"/" of the numeric keyboard that is very easy to type instead of the "-" I
used to type before
il barbi

On Tue, 19 Oct 2010 19:54:51 +0200, "il barbi"
<angeieri.barboggi@ngi.it> wrote:

>"Ron Rosenfeld" <ron@nospam.net> ha scritto nel messaggio
>> On Tue, 19 Oct 2010 10:46:36 +0200, "il barbi"
>> <angeieri.barboggi@ngi.it> wrote:
>>
>>>"Ron Rosenfeld" <ron@nospam.net> ha scritto nel messaggio

>>>italian
>>>
>>>il barbi
>>>

>> Assuming you haven't changed your Windows Regional Short Date format
>> setting from dd/MM/yyyy
>>
>ok I see so in this window
>
>> 1.  When you enter a date that does not convert, what do you see when
>> you select that cell and look at the formula bar (near the top of the
>> Excel window; usually has an "fx"  next to it)?
>>
>I see merely what I typed, e.g. "12-11-1889"
>
>> 2.  Will a particular date always fail to convert?  Or does that
>> happen only some of the time for a particular date?
>>
>no this happens with random date values
>

>> 5.  For a date that does not convert, please supply the data you
>> actually entered as well as the results of the following:
>> =ISTEXT(cell_ref)  -----> I get error #NOME?  that is #NAME?
>> =CODE(cell_ref)   ------> I get the same error
>> and, before making any format changes to the cell
>> =CELL("format";cell_ref)  --------> I get "G"
>>
>> where cell_ref is the cell address for the misbehaving cell.
>>
>il barbi
>
>PS now I've found a simple way to override the problem, namely I type these
>dates on the numeric keyboard by dividing days - months and years with the
>"/" of the numeric keyboard that is very easy to type instead of the "-" I
>used to type before
>il barbi

Without the information I requested, I can't help you further.  I'm
glad you found a work around.

HOWEVER, you wrote above concerning a date  12-11-1889

This will ALWAYS be interpreted as TEXT by Excel since the earliest
date allowed is 1 January 1900.  So whether you enter it as 12-11-1889
or 12/11/1889, you won't be able to use this for calculations.  There
are some free addins available to use dates prior to 1900, if you need
to do that.  I don't know if they work with non-US formatted dates.
0
ron6368 (329)
10/19/2010 8:19:40 PM

>>> 1.  When you enter a date that does not convert, what do you see when
>>> you select that cell and look at the formula bar (near the top of the
>>> Excel window; usually has an "fx"  next to it)?
>>>
>>I see merely what I typed, e.g. "12-11-1889"
>>
>>> 2.  Will a particular date always fail to convert?  Or does that
>>> happen only some of the time for a particular date?
>>>
>>no this happens with random date values
>>

>>> 5.  For a date that does not convert, please supply the data you
>>> actually entered as well as the results of the following:
>>> =ISTEXT(cell_ref)  -----> I get error #NOME?  that is #NAME?
>>> =CODE(cell_ref)   ------> I get the same error
>>> and, before making any format changes to the cell
>>> =CELL("format";cell_ref)  --------> I get "G"
>>>
>>> where cell_ref is the cell address for the misbehaving cell.
>>>
>>il barbi
>>
>>PS now I've found a simple way to override the problem, namely I type
>>these
>>dates on the numeric keyboard by dividing days - months and years with the
>>"/" of the numeric keyboard that is very easy to type instead of the "-" I
>>used to type before
>>il barbi
>>

> Without the information I requested, I can't help you further

sorry I thought I answered all your questions
il barbi

On Wed, 20 Oct 2010 11:21:09 +0200, "il barbi"
<angeieri.barboggi@ngi.it> wrote:

>sorry I thought I answered all your questions
>il barbi

Maybe it is a language problem, but I only saw an answer to my
question # 1.

Assuming you haven't changed your Windows Regional Short Date format
setting from dd/MM/yyyy

1.  When you enter a date that does not convert, what do you see when
you select that cell and look at the formula bar (near the top of the
Excel window; usually has an "fx"  next to it)?

I did not see answers to any of the following questions:

2.  Will a particular date always fail to convert?  Or does that
happen only some of the time for a particular date?

You responded:  "no this happens with random date values"  which is
not responsive.  What I mean is that if you enter the same date
repeatedly, will it always fail to convert; or will it fail to convert
only some of the time.  In other words, does "12-11-1899" or other
specific dates, always fail to convert, or only some of the time?

3.  If it is the same date(s) that fail to convert, please supply
examples.

>not answered

4.  If the same date might sometimes convert, and sometimes not, then
either the cell was formatted as text BEFORE you made the data entry;
you inadvertently (or you have a keyboard problem) entered some
character prior to entering the date.

5.  For a date that does not convert, please supply the data you
actually entered as well as the results of the following:
	=ISTEXT(cell_ref)
	=CODE(cell_ref)
and, before making any format changes to the cell
	=CELL("format";cell_ref)

where cell_ref is the cell address for the misbehaving cell.

>not answered.
0
ron6368 (329)
10/20/2010 9:41:44 AM

> 2.  Will a particular date always fail to convert?  Or does that
> happen only some of the time for a particular date?
>
> You responded:  "no this happens with random date values"  which is
> not responsive.  What I mean is that if you enter the same date
> repeatedly, will it always fail to convert; or will it fail to convert
> only some of the time.  In other words, does "12-11-1899" or other
> specific dates, always fail to convert, or only some of the time?

I tested inputting 12-11-1899 many times and it always did not convert, but
actually I cannot assure you that it will always be so, if not I'll make you
know

> 3.  If it is the same date(s) that fail to convert, please supply
> examples.

I didn't notice any difference with some peculiar value of date

> 4.  If the same date might sometimes convert, and sometimes not, then
> either the cell was formatted as text BEFORE you made the data entry;
> you inadvertently (or you have a keyboard problem) entered some
> character prior to entering the date.
>

> 5.  For a date that does not convert, please supply the data you
> actually entered as well as the results of the following:
> =ISTEXT(cell_ref)
> =CODE(cell_ref)
> and, before making any format changes to the cell
> =CELL("format";cell_ref)
>
> where cell_ref is the cell address for the misbehaving cell.
>
>>not answered.

sorry I got #NAME? error by inputting a trivial cell_ref  such as "H964"

il barbi

On Thu, 21 Oct 2010 15:35:35 +0200, "il barbi"
<angeieri.barboggi@ngi.it> wrote:

>I tested inputting 12-11-1899 many times and it always did not convert, but
>actually I cannot assure you that it will always be so, if not I'll make you
>know

12-11-1899 will NEVER convert using native Excel as it is out of the
range of acceptable dates for Excel.   If you check HELP for
"specifications" you will see that the acceptable date range for Excel
starts at 1/1/1900.

>> 3.  If it is the same date(s) that fail to convert, please supply
>> examples.
>>
>I didn't notice any difference with some peculiar value of date

I thought you wrote above that 12-11-1899 did not convert.

>> 4.  If the same date might sometimes convert, and sometimes not, then
>> either the cell was formatted as text BEFORE you made the data entry;
>> you inadvertently (or you have a keyboard problem) entered some
>> character prior to entering the date.
>>

>> 5.  For a date that does not convert, please supply the data you
>> actually entered as well as the results of the following:
>> =ISTEXT(cell_ref)
>> =CODE(cell_ref)
>> and, before making any format changes to the cell
>> =CELL("format";cell_ref)
>>
>> where cell_ref is the cell address for the misbehaving cell.
>>
>>>not answered.
>
>sorry I got #NAME? error by inputting a trivial cell_ref  such as "H964"

What do you mean by a "trivial" cell_ref?
How did you enter it?

Most likely, you have a typo in your formula entry.
0
ron6368 (329)

Problems with creating a newsletter

Meeting updates #2

Changing SQL Server for CRM 1.2

printing 2 charts on single page

Offline folder problems #2

conversion 04-07-04
anything change over the years.....can Filemaker Pro 4.0 be converted to Access ?? please reply on the Newsgroup, thanks Hi Cat, Not much has changed on this front. You have to export the data from FM into a format Access can read (e.g. CSV), import that into Access, massage the data into a relational structure, and finally re-create the functionality of the FM database using Access's native concepts and tools. On Tue, 6 Apr 2004 19:32:19 -0700, "Cat" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote: >anything change over the years.....can Filemaker Pro 4.0 >be con...

Receiving Transaction Entry #2

Fractions Number format

VCard issue #2

2 Domains, 1 Exchange Server

Creating a Macro to Delete Commas #2

Money 2004 Debt Planner #2

80070005 error #2

HQ Licensing question V.2
I have a client running HQ client at 8 stores + HQ server at the warehouse. They would like to be able to use transfers from the warehouse to the stores, so I would have to setup a new PC running Store Ops and a new database, however, in order for the transfers to take place, I need a HQ Client License correct? Do I also need a POS key? I appreciate any insights you may have. Thanks in advance Hi Phil yes - you'll need an HQ Client license so it can exchange with your headquarters - "export" the wh database as you would any store from HQ no - you won't need a PO...

CRM Email Displays Size=2>