format cells #4

hi. how can i set by default the cell formatting to 'general' or
'number' or even 'text'?
i mean i dont want excel to correct let's say: 1.5 to 01.may or 9/12 to
09.dec. is this possible?
thanks.
(i have some programs which export data to excel and instead of numbers
in excel appear dates and i can't set the cell format before the data is
exported)

--
notrace2004
notrace2004's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php?action=getinfo&userid=34817

excel 39879 articles. 2 followers. Follow

Open a new workbook, select all the cells and format as Text (not General,
that is what you have now). Save that workbook as a template file (file type
xlt) in the XLStart directory.

Think hard before you do it though, all text means that every time you enter
a formula you will have to change the cell first to General, else it won't
work.

--
 HTH

Bob Phillips

(replace somewhere in email address with googlemail if mailing direct)

"notrace2004" <notrace2004.28ekym_1148627401.0879@excelforum-nospam.com>
wrote in message

> hi. how can i set by default the cell formatting to 'general' or
> 'number' or even 'text'?
> i mean i dont want excel to correct let's say: 1.5 to 01.may or 9/12 to
> 09.dec. is this possible?
> thanks.
> (i have some programs which export data to excel and instead of numbers
> in excel appear dates and i can't set the cell format before the data is
> exported)
>

> --
> notrace2004
> notrace2004's Profile:
http://www.excelforum.com/member.php?action=getinfo&userid=34817
> View this thread: http://www.excelforum.com/showthread.php?threadid=545752

0
bob.NGs1 (1661)
5/26/2006 8:43:26 AM
thanks... i did that and it works.. i modified the template and now the
default format of the cells is text. it works fine if i open excel and
i type lets say 4/4, but when i copy/paste from somewhere '4/4' i still
have the same problem.. excel corrects it to 04.apr despite the format
of the cell which is now text.. what can i do???

--
notrace2004
notrace2004's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php?action=getinfo&userid=34817
View this thread: http://www.excelforum.com/showthread.php?threadid=545752

Using Logical OR on text in Conditional Formatting
I have a column with various text entries. I have created a conditional formatting rule for each type of entry but the formatting can be grouped together, so I would like a Conditional Formatting rule that says: If string contains "foo" or "bar" then colour red If string does not contain "yibble" or "wibble" then make bold etc. Any idea how I can do this rather thasn having to manage over 30 rules with each one looking for a single text entry type. Thanks Darius Try a formula of =OR(A2="foo",A2="bar") =AND(A2<>"y...

Name cells before sort
Hi everyone I've a long list of clients, all with values. I have to count and sum them all but first i have to name them all. I'd like, if possible, to do a sort first and name it all and then put the list back how it was, but i loose the reference of the names. Any ideas? Tks in advance Pedro Hi Pedro, Try using a pivot table to summarize your data. For more help see: http://peltiertech.com/Excel/Pivots/pivotstart.htm http://www.cpearson.com/excel/pivots.htm http://www.contextures.com/xlPivot02.html http://www.contextures.com/xlPivot01.html http://www.ozgrid.com/Excel/excel-pivot...

questions #4
dave, thanks for the explanation. i just have a couple of more questions about what you mentioned. in effect, until i have a number that is 4 digits or longer, there wil always be a null padding around the number if i use long. is tha correct? in which case, can i presume that if the number is less than digits long when the variable is declared as 'long', i will always hav to use trim? or is there a way to circumvent it, that is, carry o without having to using trim and cstr (i had also tried cstr whil experimenting)? thanks, mac -- icestationzbr -------------------------------...

view cell content in header
Hi folks Can I customise the header so the left section = the content of a cell in the sheet eg A1. All I seem to be able to do is add date, page etc etc.. thanks john Images of home (NZ) http://www.titahi-bay.co.nz/home What we are up to in the UK http://www.titahi-bay.co.nz You need some VBA code to do this: You can use the workbook_beforeprint event to modify the header. Option Explicit Private Sub Workbook_BeforePrint(Cancel As Boolean) With Me.Worksheets("sheet1") .PageSetup.LeftHeader = .Range("a1").Text End With End Sub This goes behind the ThisW...

Click Entering Absolute Cell References into a Formula
When one is in the process entering a formula into an EXCEL spreadsheet it is possible to click on another cell to automatically have this cell reference placed into the formula. However this entry always is entered as a RELATIVE cell reference. Is there a way to have EXCEL insert an ABSOLUTE cell reference into the formula?? It seems to me that it would be so common and yet I have never been able to figure this one out. Please Help Michael Karas Hi Michael! Is this what you want? Click the cell and then press F4. F4 acts as a toggle going through the four reference options. -- ...

All formatting not saving in Chart Template 04-07-10
Hi, sorry if this has been answered. I am new to Chart templates. I created a pivot chart and saved it as a template. When I bring it back up again, not all of the formatting is saved. For example, the title is just "Title" and I had data values being shown and they are not, and also the colors of the columns are not the same. Is there any way to save all of these as part of a template? thanks, Varvara ...

number format in excel
I have an issue with excel 2003 running on one of my laptop. The integer number i input in every cell will be divided by 1000, for example when I input 123 the cell will show 0.123, however if I input 123.00 it will show just as 123. Also if I copy the excel file to other computers everything looks ok. There is no cell format defined. It looks like an global setting in excel because either old excel file or new created excel file all have the same issue. Anyone can help? From the Menu Bar: <Tools> <Options> <Edit> tab, and *uncheck* "Fixed Decimal Places"...

Formatting Subject Line in Red Font
I have seen e-mails that people send to me that have the to line and subject line in the e-mail in red font when I receive it. How is this done? I use both Outlook 2000. Hope I explained that well enough. Thanks Rod -- All Outgoing Mail Scanned for Viruses -- What mail client are they using? Right click on the message and select Options. --� Milly Staples [MVP - Outlook] Post all replies to the group to keep the discussion intact. Due to the (insert latest virus name here) virus, all mail sent to my personal account will be deleted without reading. After searching google.group...

CFileDialog question #4
How do I set initial file selection after the construction. In other words, can't use m_ofn.... Any idea, anyone? <mdnightman@gmail.com> wrote in message news:1147289299.437512.62300@j33g2000cwa.googlegroups.com... > How do I set initial file selection after the construction. In other > words, can't use m_ofn.... What makes you think that? Just set dlg.m_ofn.lpstrFile = filename before calling DoModal(). Drew I realized my question was not very clear. I have a class CMyDialog derived from CFileDialog. I need to set the initial selected file inside CMyDialog code,...

CRM 4 & AVAYA IP Office Integration
I currently use CRM 3 with the Avaya IP office integration piece. I read in this forum that that interface does not work in 4.0. Does anyone know if it truly does not work or if it's just not "supported" Thanks, Lloyd Hi Lloyd, Yes, looks like it is not available as of date. Check out this IP Office Technical Tip 203, 4/21/08: http://support.avaya.com/elmodocs2/ip_office/tech/Global_IP_Office_Technical_Tip_203.pdf No ETA date mentioned, I would check with your IP Office Partner. Frank Lee, Microsoft Dynamics CRM MVP http://microsoft-crm.spaces.live.com http://www.work...

Stock Symbols #4
Using Money 2002. I have several accounts that use the same stock symbol and when I try to add an account to the portfolio I get an error message that says, "that symbol is in use by another account". Is there anyway of adding the other accounts? In microsoft.public.money, Neil Harrer wrote: >Using Money 2002. I have several accounts that use the same stock symbol and >when I try to add an account to the portfolio I get an error message that >says, "that symbol is in use by another account". Is there anyway of adding >the other accounts? You got a m...

count cell with background color 36
First I want to count the number of cells in a range that have text in them. Then I want to count how many of these cells have the back ground color 36 Oldjay This will achieve what you want for a continuous range, Column A in this example. Change the variables to suit. Take care Marcus Option Explicit Sub MyCount() Dim lw As Integer Dim counter As Integer Dim MyConstant As Integer Dim i As Integer lw = Range("A" & Rows.Count).End(xlUp).Row counter = 0 MyConstant = Range("A2" & lw).SpecialCells(xlCellTypeConstants).Count MsgBox "The...

Named range(s) of non-adjacent cells return #VALUE! error in array formulas
I have ranges made up of non-adjacent cells from one worksheet and I get a #VALUE! error when I try to do any conditional count or sum calculation with an array formula on either or both of them. Each range is a selection of 32 non-adjacent cells from a single column. The cells contain array formulas that return percentages. Example of range values I8: 5.9% I11: 12.1% I14: 22.3% I17: 0.0% I was able to get values returned from simple functions like Max and Min but the following example gives me the #VALUE! error: {=SUM(IF((Rng>0),1,0))} =COUNTIF(Rng,"<.0125") Any wisdom ...

Cell Reference Formula Outside Workbook
I am trying to reference a cell outside of my current spread sheet. I am using a cell in my current sheet as an input for the extension of the file I would like to look in. So I have this defined as LINK. And the value of link is something like C:\\Myfolder\ready.xls I am trying to set up a formula in my sheet that will use this reference to the cell on the first page, which I defined as LINK so when I change the value of the cell all my values will update to the new folder and document, but retain their previous page, column and row references. For example. My current formula reads [...

SQL Replication with CRM 3.0 and 4.0
Hi There Is SQL Replication possible with CRM? Are there any documentation available on this? Thanks in advance ...

Lost Format Painter in Outlook 2003
I have been everywhere, and the Format Painter toolbar which was there in Outlook, is gone. I've checked and clicked everything I can find for 2 days. Can anyone give me specific directions ? My version of Outlook, when I click about MS Outlook, shows SP1. My laptop is my only computer, and it is brand new, and uses WinXP. I've put in this question to help at the upper right of the Outlook screen in 10 different ways, and it simply doesn't have an answer to this question. I've been through this in the past, and someone else fixed it, so I do not know how to do it...

Test for validation list in a cell
I have tried to post this for ages now in programming. But it does not show up - apologies if this is the wrong group. How do I check for a validation InCellDropDown list in a range Roughly:- If Range("C30:K30,C36:K36") 'has validation' Then *****Code****** Else *****Code****** End If Thanks Sandy This looks at each cell to see if it has .incelldropdown. Option Explicit Sub testme() Dim myRng As Range Dim myCell As Range Dim AtLeastOneHasInCellDropDown As Boolean With Worksheets("sheet1") Set myRng = .Range("C30:K30,C3...

Memory leaks #4
When I exit from my application I see this message: Warning: destroying CSingleDocTemplate with live document. Detected memory leaks! Dumping objects -> ............. ............................................... What is this message? I have seen that my application really have a memory leaks. How can I avoid this memory leaks? pair the memory allocation with deallocation. -- Vipin Aravind http://www.explorewindows.com "john wayne" <attackack@yahoo.com> wrote in message news:1149093558.940672.143080@g10g2000cwb.googlegroups.com... > When I exit from my applica...

Multiple functions in a cell help
I am using Excel 2003 and having trouble figuring out the formulas. What I am trying to do is add a total of 6 cells in a row. Each cell has a different formula that comes up with a certain value once all cells are added together. Example: cell A= inserted value*10 cell B= inserted value*2 cell C= inserted value cell D= inserted value*5 cell E= inserted value*3 cell F=inserted value/20 In cell G, I want to add cells a through f except that cell f has multiple &quo...

save as a cell VBA
Good afternoon Group, Would somebody please tell me the VBA to : Copy the worksheet to a new book -by creating it- then save it as the cell "B1" on "C:\Files" All assitance on this subject will greatly help me with my daily labors, Thanks in advance and greetings Leo Rod MIA-FL USA I just recorded this. See cleaned up below Sub Macro11() ' ' Macro11 Macro ' Macro recorded 8/28/2008 by Donald B. Guillett ' ' Sheets("Sheet2").Select Sheets("Sheet2").Copy ActiveWorkbook.SaveAs Filename:="C:\files\mynewBook.xls...

create a thin border around the selected cells
need information on excel 2003 Hi Chandra, on the Menu bar choose FORMAT | CELL | BORD hth regards from Brazil Marcelo "Chandra Lee" escreveu: > need information on excel 2003 ...

Automatically format
Hi, I want to enter a date into 1 field (a) and change font and colour in another field (b) but still retain the data that is in field b. Can you help. Thanks Use the AfterUpdate event to change the font and color. Something like: Sub txtControlA_AfterUpdate() If Len(Me.txtControlA & vbNullString) > 0 Then Me.txtControlB.FontBold = True Me.txtControlB.ForeColor = vbRed Else Me.txtControlB.FontBold = False Me.txtControlB.ForeColor = vbBlack End If End If -- Arvin Meyer, MCP, MVP http://www.datastrat.com http://www.mvps.org/access http://www....

Color format not saved in MS Project 2007
A PM reported that color format used in his project files disappeared from project server after it's level loaded against other projects in the server. Is this an error? This seems to happen when you select color formatting from the Gantt view. Not exactly sure how it works but from what I gather if you have a view definition contained in the global enterprise then customisations to view by the PM (incl. colouring of tasks or font changes) will/could be overwritten by the PServer definition in the global. you can make it work but got to fiddle a bit with view/organiser stu...

Locate and Move specific cells
I have several cells randomly located on a worksheet , each containing a specific word. I need to copy these cells to a new worksheet starting in column A, vertically. I have used the "Find/Replace" command to locate the cells, but I don't know how to copy them to new sheet. I'd really appreciate any ideas. Thanks What do you mean by move? Clear the contents of that original cell delete the cell and move the rows up? delete the cell and move the columns to the left? delete the whole column or row? I'm guessing that you meant to clear contents. This might work for ...

Formatting Imported Data
Hi, I want to be able to read in a single column of data from either an Excel file or from a column of a word document and then produce the same column of data so that each entry has two cells separating them. So that the column 1 2 3 would look like 1 empty cell empty cell 2 empty cell empty cell 3 I there a straightforward way I can do this in Excel w/o having to use some type of additional program (like VBA)? TIA, Matt Nothing straightforward that I can see. Without some manual arranging which would be onerous, you will be better off to use a VBA macro. Sub InsertRows22() Appli...