Format cell will not appear

Hello,

I have a budget spreadsheet in E2k that I need to update.   I can change al
the numbers and formlas but if I select Format Cells the dialog box will not
appear. I cannot find a single cell anyware in that workbook that works. The
budget sheet has some grey area to the righ. I tweaked it last year and I
can't remember what I did. Please help

Tim

excel 39879 articles. 2 followers. Follow

Tim,

Maybe the sheet is protected.  Tools, Protection.  If you see Unprotect
sheet" it was.

--
Earl Kiosterud

"Tim Marciniak" <tjmarciniak@nospam.comcast.net> wrote in message
> Hello,
>
> I have a budget spreadsheet in E2k that I need to update.   I can change
al
> the numbers and formlas but if I select Format Cells the dialog box will
not
> appear. I cannot find a single cell anyware in that workbook that works.
The
> budget sheet has some grey area to the righ. I tweaked it last year and I
> can't remember what I did. Please help
>
> Tim

0
nowhere8060 (363)
10/7/2003 3:23:02 AM
I've seen a similar thing twice (I think).  Both times the workbooks were not
created in excel.  One was a workbook that used to be a LOTUS 123 file and the
other time, the workbook was created by a program called Crystal Reports.

But the difference was I could find a cell that allowed the formatting dialog to
pop up.  (Maybe you could go further down/right to look for one.

Once I found that adjacent cell I could expand my range to include that cell and
format the whole range the way I wanted.  Then I'd come back and correct the
formmatting for that "sacrificial" cell.

Can you try copying the data/formula to a new worksheet--maybe it would be
better just dumping the old version and rebuilding a new one.

=========
Can you get the format dialog to appear for any workbook/worksheet/range?

If no (and the worksheet isn't protected like Earl asked), maybe you could start
excel in safe mode.

Close excel
windows start button
Run
Excel  /safe

Then open your workbook to see if that allows you to format.

Opening in safe mode means that lots of things won't load--including the
customized toolbars.

If it helps, then maybe your *.xlb file is bad.

close excel
Windows Start button
Find
search for *.xlb (look in hidden folders/hidden files--just in case)
Rename them to *.xlbOLD.

Restart excel normally and check it out.

If it worked, dump the *.xlb file.  You will have to rebuild any customized
menus.

--

Dave Peterson
ec35720@msn.com

Right Click to Autofill cells in 2003
Hello All, In 97 to 2002 it was possible to right click when using Autofill to copy the cells down rather than continuing the sequence. in 2003 i just get a pretty red line (what purpose does this serve?). Does anyone know if I can get back the old functionality? Many thanks, Danny I have that functionality in Excel 2003 as well, maybe you have installed an add-in? In any case if you hold down ctrl while using the left click copy down it will also copy as opposed to fill a series Regards, peo sjoblom "DannyJ" wrote: > Hello All, > > In 97 to 2002 it was possi...

Outlook will not stay open
Outlook 2000 will not stay open when I launch the app. It will open up, download messages, and then close. Any suggestions? Thanks ...

How do I randomly shuffle the cells in a column?
In Excel 2003, I have a column, say a1-a10, with certain entries. I need to create another column, b1-b10, with the same entries assigned randomly (shuffled) to the cells. Just one way .. Put in B1: =INDEX(A:A,RANK(C1,$C$1:$C$10)) Put in C1: =RAND() Select B1:C1, copy down to C10 B1:B10 returns a random shuffle of what's in A1:A10 Press F9 to re-shuffle -- Rgds Max xl 97 --- Singapore, GMT+8 xdemechanik http://savefile.com/projects/236895 -- "Jason D" <Jason D@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:36244977-7EE5-436B-8617-59C15310B080@microsoft.com... >...

If I buy and reinstall the download of office 2008 Stu.Teach from this website will i lose all my papers and documents and ppts?
Version: 2008 Operating System: Mac OS X 10.5 (Leopard) Processor: Intel I need to do this asap. I cant find my product key and i dont have time to look for it. I am livid but now is not the time to deal with it. I have a deadline of tonight for a major assignment and need to know that what I have already wont be lost when i purchase and download microsoft office from this website. Please anyone help me, a fast response is needed and appreciated. gbachman@officeformac.com wrote: > I need to do this asap. I cant find my product key and i dont have > time to look for it. I am livid but ...

How to change cell shading/fill based on value in another cell?
I have a sheet with two columns of experimental data. Let's say the data is in F10:F25 (column 1) & G10:G25 (column 2). There is a value in another cell (A1) that contains a 1 or a 2. If A1=1, I want to turn shading in column 1 agree and in column 2 off. If A1=2, I want to reverse that. If there a worksheet function that will do that? I was hoping for something like: =cellshading(range,color) I could then execute one of these two statements: If A1=1 then cellshading(F10:F25,"Green") cellshading(G10:G25,"None") Else cellshading(G10:G25,"Green&...

Auto Format #2
Can't find Auto Format, did excel 2007 decide not to have this function, is there a similiar function to be used instead of autoformat? Hi Ness! If you want to select a formatting for your table select Format as Table in the Home Tab of the Ribbon. I believe that is the replacement for the Auto Format command in the previous versions of Microsoft Excel. Hope this Helps! -- Chester C. Coronel Junior BSIT Student University of Asia and the Pacific, Philippines Read the StudentEmpowered Blog!http://msforums.ph/blogs/chestercoronel "Ness" wrote: > Can't find Auto F...

How to get SUMPRODUCT on filtered cells
I'm currently using the formula =SUMPRODUCT((F2:I1475>=1)*(F2:I1475<=9999)) This gives me the number of the full range of cells but I need this to update whenever I use a variety of filters. Any help is greatly appreciated Sam.D Say we have data in A1 thru B29 like: flia value 0 pass 2 pass 1 pass 2 pass 1 pass 2 pass 0 pass 2 pass 1 pass 2 pass 1 pass 0 pass 2 pass 0 pass 1 pass 1 fail 1 fail 0 fail 2 fail 1 fail 0 fail 1 fail 2 fail 1 fail 1 fail 1 fail 1 fail 2 fail and are appling autofilter to column a. We want to use sumpr...

formatting is incorrect when viewing in different zoom except for 75%
Here's a strange one for you guys... I'm using Office XP and currently working on a couple of excel spreadsheets. When I have the zoom set to 75% everything looks correct, exactly like the print out. However if I change my zoom to anything else besides 75% some of the text goes over to the next column. It's pretty irrarting sometimes becuase if I have it set to 100% I'd usually spend time playing with the column width to get everything to fit and in acctuality I don't have to becuase it looks correct when printed out and when in 75% zoom. Any ideas? This sounds like a ...

Sum Multiple Worksheets, same named cell
I have multiple worksheets containing the same named cell (e.g. Month_Total). On a totals worksheet, I am not able to use =SUM('START,END'!Month_Total) because of the local/global naming. Is there a way around this? (Month_Total will not always be in the same cell on each worksheet). Thanks! It seems to me that you have two options. 1. Name each of your "Monthly Total"s slightly different. OR 2. Do not use the cell range naming. "uncreative" <uncreative@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:60A150C6-50BC-4876-A31F-1C...

.net framework XSLT processor appears to be broken
I stumbled upon this while developing a custom XPathNavigator. It appears that copy action for attributes is broken in the .net framework XSLT processor. The intent was to just copy the entities and attributes from the source XML into the output using simple "identity" like XSLT: <xsl:stylesheet xmlns:xsl="http://www.w3.org/1999/XSL/Transform" version="1.0"> <xsl:output method="xml" indent="yes"/> <xsl:template match="/ | @* | node()"> <xsl:copy> <xsl:apply-templates select="@* | node...

Void Trx appearing on Customer Statement
Void trx will appear on Customer Statement UNLESS running PAID TRX REMOVAL process or having to modify the statement to exclude void trx. personally (and my clients) find that this is a very WEIRED practice... eg: a sales trx is wrongly entered/posted and is then void. the practice is to process PAID TRX REMOVAL after printing of statement so that the fully paid trx will appear in the statment. then the above void trx will also appear in customer statement, which is not desired... is there any other way to EXCLUDE void trx from statement or anybody can suggest a better practice? thks ...

Problem with Conditional format deletion
I have the followint formula in a conditional format. =ROW()=ROW(INDIRECT(CELL("address"))) I remember getting it from this group, it highlights the active cell in yellow. I cannot delete it and I believe it will not allow me to copy and paste data about the spreadsheet. I need to delete as I need to copy and paste more than I need the active cell highlighted. Hi if you want to highlight always the active cell you need VBA. See: http://www.cpearson.com/excel/excelM.htm#HighlightActiveCell -- Regards Frank Kabel Frankfurt, Germany <mark@southwestconst.com> schrieb im Newsbei...

Format Zip Code Bug
Using the latest version of Excel, 2003. If you have a column of zip codes, some 5 digit and some 9 digit, and format them as 9 digit zip codes the formatting tool is not smart enough to leave the 5 digit zip codes alone. Instead it insert 4 leading 0's. Probably not how it should work. Maybe you could use a custom format to cover both 5 digits and 9 digit zips: [>99999]00000-0000;00000 Al Franz wrote: > > Using the latest version of Excel, 2003. If you have a column of zip codes, > some 5 digit and some 9 digit, and format them as 9 digit zip codes the > form...

Algebra within a cell
How do you set-up a formula in a cell that multiplies a constant times the number you insert? Ex. the constant is .315 remains present at all times only the number you insert changes - =.315*(x) You can't unless you use an event macro, if you need a formula you have to use another cell as help =0.315*A2 where A2 holds x you can also put 0.315 in a cell, copy it, select the cel with x and then paste special and select multiply. But to get this instantly you have to use something like Private Sub Worksheet_Change(ByVal Target As Excel.Range) If Intersect(Range("A2"), Target)...

Conditional formatting dates 05-05-10
I have a range of dates that I want to conditionally format. Eg, todays date is the 5 May 2010. I want to highlight all of the dates in the range D14 to D120 that todays date passes on a daily basis. For eg, as we click over automatically to the 6 May 2010, any fixed dates in the range for the 5 May 2010 turn red. Any help would be great. Select your dates and use Custom in CF and the formula =D4=TODAY()-1 -- Regards Dave Hawley www.ozgrid.com "Sue" <Sue@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:E87D631B-E455-4698-92A1-BE915192ECDF@microsoft.co...

hidden formatting symbols
In Word I'm able to see paragraph marks and other hidden formatting symbols. Can this be done in powerpoint 2007? I've searched and haven't found it. Seeing the hidden symbols would help when editing a slide within a text box Thanks -- Dave Yep would be useful but you can't do it AFAIK. "Dave R" <DaveR@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:8755AD11-7B3B-47E1-A6D4-DA54B8AE87BB@microsoft.com... > In Word I'm able to see paragraph marks and other hidden formatting > symbols. > Can this be done in powerpoint 2007? I'...

Displaying Multiple Cell Information in Single Cell
Hi all, I'm trying to present (text) data from multiple cells in another workbook in a single cell. I've tried the following formula but it returns a #VALUE! in my destination cell: ='[Project1.xls]Dependencies'!$A$6, '[Project1.xls]Dependencies'!$A$7 Any ideas on if this is possible? TIA, SamuelT -- SamuelT ------------------------------------------------------------------------ SamuelT's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php?action=getinfo&userid=27501 View this thread: http://www.excelforum.com/showthread.php?threadid=503954 Use the "&...

Formatting cells
Version: 2008 Operating System: Mac OS X 10.5 (Leopard) Processor: Intel All of a sudden when I try to format a column of or an individual cell (format as a number, no decimal places, comma for thousands) only 2 of the four numbers appear in the cell. When I double click to view what is actually in the cell I see the four numbers I entered, the first two separated by the last two with a decimal. <br> I have tried this on new sheets and workbooks and the same thing happens. I can't tell for sure, but try going to Excel>Preferences> Edit. If there's a check on '...

How do I add multiple comments to a cell?
I need to add more than one comment to data in a single cell, is this possible? Not possible. deberjones wrote: > > I need to add more than one comment to data in a single cell, is this possible? -- Dave Peterson ...

Conditional Formatting with Formulae
I'm quite happy getting part of a row to format as I wish by using a formula and applying it to a range but I want to use this about 50 times in a single spreadsheet and I cant stop the range being absolute so when I drag/fill I don't get the effect I want. Is there way to fill down conditional formats which have been generated using a formula? -- Rod Not with FrontPage. Try asking in a newsgroup or forum that deals with spreadsheets. -- Ron Symonds Microsoft MVP (Expression Web) http://www.rxs-enterprises.org/fp/wf-menu.aspx RODXL presented the following e...

Formatting in Inbox
I am receiving messages from a particular source where the body of the text is one continuous paragraph, whereas it should be several seperate lines/entries. If I select "Forward" the message body is correctly formatted into seperate lines of text. Does this indicate that I have my Outlook incorrectly configured? TIA Brian Tozer ...

Formatting default Entity and Value
In ORM Source documents is it possible to set the default background colour (Fill) of Entity and Value elements? To save me having to continually setting the values manually. Cheers, McGiv Hi McGiv, > In ORM Source documents is it possible to set the default background > colour (Fill) of Entity and Value elements? To save me having to > continually setting the values manually. Sorry, no. The ORM info is separate from the shape info and as such a new shape is created every time you drop a given ORM object on a page. If you want them all to be a given color (which I don't thi...

Insert New Page and Keep Formatting.
I have a few questions. First, how do I insert a new page in a Newsletter and keep the formatting changes I made to the text. For example I changed my font to different sizes, but when I insert a new page it all resets back to the original newsletter template default font size. How do I prevent this from happening? Secondly, when I do insert a new page how do I add a calender? When I go to Page Content it says that you cannot change page content to pages that were INSERTED only the first 4 pages. Thanks, Matt mjcxp <mjcxp@discussions.microsoft.com> was very recently heard to u...

Why does my excel chart appear in gray when I copy it?
I want to copy an excel chart into powerpoint. It is a simple column chart. However the columns contain a color gradient. When I copy the chart to the clipoard, the columns turn into gray. This problem however does not occur on other computers using the same excel version (2003). Hi batman, There are about 30 ways to copy and paste charts from Excel into PowerPoint. The problem you are describing is not one I have heard of - namely that it works on one machine but not another. However, you could try a different method of copying. For example - you can use the Camera tool to copy a ...

how to prompt user to click on cell for starting import position
This is a multi-part message in MIME format. ------=_NextPart_000_0018_01C3503B.424EF830 Content-Type: text/plain; charset="iso-8859-1" Content-Transfer-Encoding: quoted-printable How would this be changed so that when the macro is run, it prompts the = user to click on the cell to start copying in the data? Selection.TextToColumns Destination:=3DRange("A1"), = DataType:=3DxlFixedWidth, _ FieldInfo:=3DArray(Array(0, 1), Array(41, 1), Array(82, 1), = Array(90, 1), Array(131, 1), _ Array(143, 1), Array(169, 1), Array(191, 1), Array(203, 1), = Array(216...