forecast function help

This might seem a bit newbie but im having trouble with the forecas
function.

Say for example i have a collection of data for sales of each item ove
a number of years:

item           2000 2001 2002 2003

1              3         4         5
2              4         3         2
3              2         2         4
4              3         1         5
5              4         1         6
6              2         2         4

i am asked to forcast the values for the year 2003. I have read an
looked at many examples on how to do this and still can't work ou
where to start?
Any help would be great, thank you

--
metho
method's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php?action=getinfo&userid=1503

excel 39879 articles. 2 followers. Follow

Hi
see your other post

--
Regards
Frank Kabel

http://www.excelforum.com/member.php?action=getinfo&userid=15030
> View this thread:

frank.kabel (11126)
10/5/2004 2:30:29 PM
I will assume the entry Item is in A1 while the years are in B1:E1
That row 2 is empty
That the 1 (for item 1) is in A3 while the data is in B3:D3

In E3 enter =FORECAST($E$1,B3:D3,$B$1:$D$1)
Copy formula down to E8

But with such limited data do not place too much confidence on the results
If the numbers must be integers use =ROUND(FORECAST($E$1,B3:D3,$B$1:$D$1),0)

best wishes

--
Bernard Liengme
www.stfx.ca/people/bliengme

"method" <method.1dnq7a@excelforum-nospam.com> wrote in message

> This might seem a bit newbie but im having trouble with the forecast
> function.
>
> Say for example i have a collection of data for sales of each item over
> a number of years:
>
> item           2000 2001 2002 2003
>
> 1              3         4         5
> 2              4         3         2
> 3              2         2         4
> 4              3         1         5
> 5              4         1         6
> 6              2         2         4
>
> i am asked to forcast the values for the year 2003. I have read and
> looked at many examples on how to do this and still can't work out
> where to start?
> Any help would be great, thank you.
>

> --
> method
> method's Profile:
> http://www.excelforum.com/member.php?action=getinfo&userid=15030
> View this thread: http://www.excelforum.com/showthread.php?threadid=266448

0
bliengme5824 (3040)

Help! Setfocus problem
i ave a dropdown field on the first tab. I use setfocus so that it selects a different field to stop users scrolling down and changing the selection on the load event. Problem When a user changes tab and come back to the origional tab the setfocus doesnt run as the form is already loaded. How do you get around this? This is driving me and users mad at minute...please help before i open another bottle of dark rum! Hi Brian, Check out following URL; how to fire onclick event on tab click. It may help you. http://crmrocks.net/?p=16 -- PLEASE do click on Yes or No button if this post wa...

Please Help!!
I am having problems restoring a backup money file from my cdrw disc. I recieve the error that it can't open possibly because it is a read only file or you do not have permission to change it or your disk drive is write protected. I have never had this problem before. I have restored files from my cd backup 3 times before without a problem. Please help!!!! Restore the file to writable media - your hard drive. If you still can't open it, right-click on the file in its new location, choose Properties from the context menu, and remove the check from the 'read-only' box. -...

Help with conditional formatting with 2000
Any help would be greatly appreciated. I am trying to group data together into increments of 10% of th numbers and then chart them based on these groups. For example, I hav 300 data points that vary from 20 to 500 in value. I want them t appear in a chart based on the number of values that fall in the lowes 10% of numbers (ie. 20-40) then the next 10% (ie. 40-60) etc. up to th top 10% of numbers, but I do not want to manually determine what thes ranges are. I want to see a distribution of how many numbers fal within each 10% of values. I am not sure if this makes sense, please let me know...

You wont believe this! SERVER DOWN
I was helping the operations/it director to get RPC over HTTP going on their exchange server for a company I use to be the sys admin for. The ops/it director was doing the add/remove programs portion to add rpc over http there, somehow in the process of doing this he managed to uninstall IIS -or- just NNTP and SMTP (I can't figure out which and he claims he did neither). Long story short, I've reinstalled NNTP and SMTP, reconfigured SMTP to the best recollection I have of the previous config and the server still refuses to send/receive email, even internally. All services are s...

!!HELP!!! Cannot connect to Exchange Server from a RDP, ICA session or server local machine
Please excuse the posting as I wasn't sure which group to post this in. I'm having issues using Outlook from a server desktop, an RDP or ICA connection. I have remote users who connect using Citrix. They logon to the Citrix server desktop (Windows 2003 Server) and use Outlook from there. They can also use Outlook from within Citrix as it is a Published Application. I know some of you are going to suggest why don't they use OWA but let's not get into that. I can log onto any workstation here in the office and connect to the Exchange server and open their Outlook. What I and they...

need custom cut and paste functions
Hello, I once wrote here about a problem I had cutting and pasting where columns would turn to "REF!" after a cut and paste. I would work around it by copying, pasting and then manually deleting instead. I thought turning everything in the sheet to absolute references would solve the problem but it didn't so now I am thinking of a different solution. Could someone tell me what I need to do to write my own cut and paste functions which would basically copy the selection and then on a paste it would paste and then delete the original selection from where it was copied from...

Internet connection problem
Hi. I hope someone is able to cast some light on a problem. We have a home network (all computers running XP) some wired and some wireless. For about a month now we have intermittent connection problems in that any one computer (randomly) will not connect to internet. I think all of the computers have suffered from the problem. Rebooting the affected computer makes no difference but rebooting the router can sort it until the next time. Even my mobile phone occasionally cannot connect. In Firefox the message is just "server not found". Pinging an IP address results in a time...

Function doesn't run
In my spreadsheet, I have the following function =VLookup(K16, zips, 2) However, instead of returning a result, the function remains in the cell. How do I fix this problem? Format the cell as General and re-enter the formula (F2, ENTER) -- Kind regards, Niek Otten Microsoft MVP - Excel "Justin" <jmeyer@incrementaladvantage.com> wrote in message news:1165596899.059148.31580@80g2000cwy.googlegroups.com... | In my spreadsheet, I have the following function | =VLookup(K16, zips, 2) | However, instead of returning a result, the function remains in the | cell. How do I fix th...

I need help restoring Public Folders
Hi I've been having issues getting Public Folder replication going between 2 Exchange 2003 servers. Prior to doing any work I performed a Backup using Veritas Backup Exec and this completed and verified correctly. I screwed things up and managed to delete some of the public folders on my original server. I'm not 100% sure what I did but it is a mess and the only backup I have is the Exchange backup I created before doing any work. The public folders contain a number of Contact Lists and a very important Event Calendar. I have restored the public folders but when the restore c...

Need help on a formula 05-20-10

Terminal Servers in Cluster - Login/Profile Issues
Hello Gurus, Currently I am having an issue with logins and profiles as per details below. Server/Network Configuration Details: 1 X Windows Server 2008 Std FE 64bit (DC) 2 X Windows Server 2008 Ent 32bit Terminal Servers User Profiles are Roaming and exist in: \\SBSERVER\Profiles on the Domain Controller and C:\Users\ on the Terminal Servers. Approx 50 users. Problem Description Error messages when logging in the terminal servers: Your roaming profile is not synchronized correctly with the server. Windows will load your previously-saved local profile instead. See the pre...

Adding a button with a function on protected sheets.
How do i add a button to 'reset/clear' the data on a worksheet that is protected and uses VLookup data (from another worksheet). Everyday this table will have data chosen from combo boxes or manually entered in allowable editable fields and at the end of the day after the files is saved, I need to clear that data for use on the next day. How is this Reset button applied with allowable edit ranges, VLookup data and a protected worksheet? Thanks There's several ways to do this. 1. Instead of straight vlookups, use =IF(ISBLANK(VLOOKUP(....)),"",VLOOKUP(....)) wher...

Today Function
how is this function called in the code? I want to use in in an update query that is coded to a button. thanks Hey Dave, I hope I'm understanding what your asking for but I think this is what you are looking for: Today() HTH, Shane Dave wrote: >how is this function called in the code? >I want to use in in an update query that is coded to a button. > >thanks -- Message posted via AccessMonster.com http://www.accessmonster.com/Uwe/Forums.aspx/access-formscoding/200706/1 Well I think it is either Today() or Date() not sure which and not sure how to use it in the code. I ...

Excel Formula Help
I am setting up a basic excel spreadsheet and really have got no experience with excel. I want to do something real basic like if A2=laptop display $10 or if A2=desktop display $20 how do I do this? I think that if the list of options is more than a just a few, a =vlookup() function would work nicely. It may seem a little complex to start, but once you use it, you'll find tons of more reasons to use it. Debra Dalgleish has some nice instructions at: http://contextures.com/xlFunctions02.html BadSector wrote: > > I am setting up a basic excel spreadsheet and really have got no...

Help-- Having trouble opening Word & Entourage
I have to keep restarting my computer to be able to open Word or Entourage. The icons just bounce a little but won't open. I was getting a request from Entourage to rebuild the database which I did about 6 or 7 times. I got another warning which I ignored. I am on a MacBook Pro (Intel based). I am using office 2004. My Entourage database is 3.2 gb. I ran Disk Utilities a couple of times. I also had a problem a couple of times with FileMaker Pro but not sure if related. Thanks Christina On 22/8/06 20:01, in article 1156273266.788654.318170@i42g2000cwa.googlegroups.com, "...

RMS 2.0 matrix dimensions are annoying, but help is available
For reasons I don't understand, MS saw fit in RMS 2.0 to use dimensions data for matrix components that is far less accessible to users than Sub Descriptions are. For instance, I can't edit assign a dimension value to an existing item I have added to a matrix. I can't see a reason for using Dimensions with limitations like this as using Sub Descs. to describe matrix "dimensions" worked fine previously. Does anyone know why MS did this? It's annoying! Digital Retail Solutions (DRS) has a product called Power Ops (Build 2.2.0003). It's help file mentions (se...

how can I asign printscreen to a function key or key combination?
My key board has no printscreen key. What can I do? That seems unlikely, but it is hardly a Word issue. The PrtScn button is usually a dual function button somewhere on the top row of your keyboard. If it is not then you need to ask the keyboard manufacturer. -- <>>< ><<> ><<> <>>< ><<> <>>< <>><<> Graham Mayor - Word MVP My web site www.gmayor.com Word MVP web site http://word.mvps.org <>>< ><<> ><<> <>>< ><<> <>>< ...

Help with a code
I have these code and it works find: but i also want to use it for different culumn within the same sheet. how do i add Column D with different target? meaning "S" for Study and "B" for books and s on... and maybe adding a Msg box to it that will only allow the Letters specify.. thank you in advance.. Private Sub Worksheet_Change(ByVal Target As Range) If Target = "" Then Exit Sub If Target.Count > 1 Then Exit Sub If Not Intersect(Target, Range("c6:c50")) Is Nothing Then If UCase(Target) = "C" Then Target = "Contribution" El...

Need Help With GP Item Pricing
GP ITEM PRICING I need to use “Bucket Pricing” for items in GP. For example below is the pricing schedule that I need to use. First 20 …………….$ 1.75 Next 280 ……………… 1.36 Next 700 ……………… 1.23 Next 2,000 ……………… 1.09 Over 3,000 ……………… .82 So if I had a Qty. of 350 it would be as follows 20 * 1.75 = 35 280 * 1.36 = 380.80 50 * 1.23 = 61.50 Total : $477.30 In GP I can only set it up to do a “Quantity Range” in the Item Price List Maintenance window. Problem is if I set it up that way and enter a quantity of 350 it will default to the $1.23 ...

Help Please in Summing
Hello. Sorry to ask such a simple question, but I need help on how to get a total of some cells. Here's the sample. If cell A1 is 05 and is true A3 is 10 and is true A5 is 15 and is False A7 is 10 and is True A9 is 05 and is False How can I make A11 show me the result by just adding those numbers that are TRUE and give me the sum ? Would really like help, thank you. Hi Mike! I assume that you have TRUE or FALSE as boolean in an adjacent cell. If so: =SUMIF(B1:B9,"=TRUE",A1:A9) But the assumption may be wrong and you'll need to provide more information. -- Regard...

zip code help! #2
thanks for the help !!!!!!!! It worke -- cbender ----------------------------------------------------------------------- cbender3's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php?action=getinfo&userid=1556 View this thread: http://www.excelforum.com/showthread.php?threadid=27126 ...

Help! I've inherited a messed up plan :
I just came onto a project and got a 1700 line project plan from the previous 4 project managers. Q. Is it normal for tasks with unassigned ? empty resources to show that task in the Resource Usage window? And then on the Gantt View, when I add a resource under that column, it then shows up on the Task line as a Task! I've never seen this happen before. Any ideas?????? J > > Q. Is it normal for tasks with unassigned ? empty resources to show > that task in the Resource Usage window? > Sure - it shows up under the "Unassigned" label. &...

Help with my upgrade path.
We have to accomplish two things. 1. Moving the CRM server to a new machine 2. Upgrading our system to 1.2 What is the best order for this? Jake, I'm not sure it really matters which one you do first, as long as you test each step before moving on to the next. I would probably recommend installing the other server first though. That way, you will have the v1.0 server available if you run into problems with the upgrade. (Granted, it won't funciton if the DB was already upgraded, but will be there for reference). Matt "Jake Horn" <jhorn@order4chaos.com> wrote ...