Finding cell text corresponding to the MAXimum figure in a spreadsheet?

Please can anyone help me with this... :)

I've made a spreadsheet with the following attributes:

Cells A1 to A100 contain a figure from 1-100 (a 'desirability' rating),
sorted so that the highest figures are at the top of the spreadsheet and
descend to the lowest figure in cell A100.

Cells B1 to B100 contain the title of a CD album.

Cells C1 to C100 contain the price of a CD album.

I would like to make a formula that searches for the row that produces
the highest result given from multiplying the figure in column A with
the corresponding figure in column C and returns the corresponding CD
title in column B.

Many thanks in advance,

Prospero

--
Prospero
Prospero's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php?action=getinfo&userid=13801

excel 39879 articles. 2 followers. Follow

One way (array-entered: CTRL-SHIFT-ENTER or CMD-RETURN):

    =INDEX(B1:B100,MATCH(MAX(A1:A100*C1:C100),A1:A100*C1:C100,0))

In article <Prospero.1sqx4d_1122329198.9032@excelforum-nospam.com>,
 Prospero <Prospero.1sqx4d_1122329198.9032@excelforum-nospam.com>
 wrote:

> Please can anyone help me with this... :)
>
> I've made a spreadsheet with the following attributes:
>
> Cells A1 to A100 contain a figure from 1-100 (a 'desirability' rating),
> sorted so that the highest figures are at the top of the spreadsheet and
> descend to the lowest figure in cell A100.
>
> Cells B1 to B100 contain the title of a CD album.
>
> Cells C1 to C100 contain the price of a CD album.
>
> I would like to make a formula that searches for the row that produces
> the highest result given from multiplying the figure in column A with
> the corresponding figure in column C and returns the corresponding CD
> title in column B.
>
> Many thanks in advance,
>
> Prospero
0
jemcgimpsey (6723)

When I am in one cell highlight another
Hello, When I am in one cell highlight another. Lets say that if my cursor is in A1 I want D1 highlighted or with another cursor on it. Then if I move to A2, D2 should be the one with another cursor or highlighted. Thank you for your help, Jose Juan Diaz hi, Jose Juan ! > When I am in one cell highlight another > ... if my cursor is in A1... D1 highlighted or with another cursor on it. > ... if I move to A2, D2 should be the one with another cursor or highlighted. 'put' a cursor on non-active-cell... [I don't think it's possible] :( to highlight 'D' wh...

Cells print so small I cannot read numbers. How do I fix?
I have been working with page break. Now I have the grid on 1 page..but it is far to small to read. now when I try to spread it back to 2 pages, it just takes the same tiny microscopic type and spreads it into 2 pages. I am stuck printing tiny type. How can I get the grid cells back to a size that is readable. It sound like you have selected Fit to 1 page in File > Page setup > Page > Scaling. Either select to fit it to 2 pages or select Adjust to 100% size -- HTH Sandy In Perth, the ancient capital of Scotland and the crowning place of kings sandymann2@mailinator.com Repl...

Process all cells in a (user) selection
I am using this code to give me cell by cell access to a code defined selection; Dim aCell As Range For Each aCell In Sheet4.Range("A4:A34") ' Do Stuff Here Next aCell which processes every cell in the A4:A34 Range How do I do the same thing for a selection drawn by the user before pressing my 'Process' button ? Thanks On 05 May 2010 11:10:21 GMT, Isis <isissoft@NOSPAMbtinternet.com> wrote: >I am using this code to give me cell by cell access to a code defined >selection; > >Dim aCell As Range >For Each aCell In S...

think cell program
is anyone familiar with a program called think cell? Any thoughts? (powerpoint v 2003). Is this an add-in? thanks Sara It's very good. You can "try for free" from their website: http://www.think-cell.com/ Recent interview with one of the founders on Indezine: http://blog.indezine.com/2009/12/think-cell-conversation-with-markus.html -- Echo [MS PPT MVP] http://www.echosvoice.com What's new in PPT 2010? http://www.echosvoice.com/2010.htm Fixing PowerPoint Annoyances http://tinyurl.com/36grcd PowerPoint 2007 Complete Makeover Kit http://tinyurl.com/3...

Outlook 2003
I used to be able to do this in Outlook 2000. The string will be in either the subject or text body...or both. For example: looking for an email message about a specific invoice number 12345. Now, it does not find the number even when I know it's there....and can find it by hunting on my own. Thanks for any help you can offer~ "Hello_It''''s_Me-CA" <HelloItsMeCA@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:B942C394-5363-49BE-AFB3-04E34C1CE4BF@microsoft.com... >I used to be able to do this in Outlook 2000. The string will be in either > t...

IE8 was deleted from my windows 7 and I cannot find correct downlo
I have a two month old Toshiba and deleted IE8 because of crashes. Trying to find the correct download to reinstall. The IE8 homepage just says it is included in windows 7 but does not show the download file....... ARRRG. Tried Vista IE8 download file but message says it not the correct operating system. On Sun, 21 Mar 2010 20:50:01 -0700, pawntonian <pawntonian@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote: >I have a two month old Toshiba and deleted IE8 because of crashes. Trying to >find the correct download to reinstall. The IE8 homepage just says it is >included in wind...

Money plus Deluxe Where do I find Balance sheet and Profit and Los
I have Money Plus Deluxe ver 7.0120.1415 My new accountant asked me to print out the balance sheet (aka Assets, Liabilities, and Equity) and the Income statement (Profit and Loss) reports? Where do I find them? Does Money Plus Deluxe have them? In microsoft.public.money, bigwahoo wrote: >I have Money Plus Deluxe ver 7.0120.1415 My new accountant asked me to print >out the balance sheet (aka Assets, Liabilities, and Equity) and the Income >statement (Profit and Loss) reports? Where do I find them? Does Money Plus >Deluxe have them? Go to the Reports list, and look around. T...

text box on exit
I have validate code on text box and want to cursor get back text box. I use Screen.ActiveControl.SetFocus, but the cusor goes to where my mouse click. Are there any way to let cursor stay in the text box until user enter valide data? Your help is great appreciated, On Wed, 12 Mar 2008 11:43:02 -0700, Souris wrote: > I have validate code on text box and want to cursor get back text box. > > I use Screen.ActiveControl.SetFocus, but the cusor goes to where my mouse > click. > > Are there any way to let cursor stay in the text box until user enter valide > data? &...

Newbie Cell Reference Question...
Hello, I apologize if this question has been answered before, but I'm no quite sure what to search for as I'm not very good with excel. I'm making a spreadsheet where one sheet references another. I'll tr to explain this as best as possible.... I'm creating a spreadsheet for a fantasy basketball league. I have "Data" sheet that contains data for all players. I have another sheet "Teams" that has all the players on each team. Column B contains th players name, and column C contains a number that corresponds to th row this player is on in the dat...

Maximum limits?
Whats the maixmum number of SMTP addresses you can have on one mailbox or public folders? I need one mailbox with 1200 email addresses? .. is that possible? Also .. just on that same thing Is it possible to redirect everything from one domain to a mailbox? (that would stop me creating 1200 email addresses) For instance .. if i made up a domainname like faxnumber@faxingsystem.com.au Can i divert anything directed at faxingsystem.com.au to one mailbox? Is there a way? Any help would be muchly appreciated! ta Scott Interesting request. Can you expand the business need a bit? Why wou...

Full Text Index PF
We are running 3 Exchange servers in 3 separate sites. Two of which (including our main mail relay) are running Exchange 2003 while the third is still on Ex2000. Our public folder store size is roughly 3.5 GB. I am considering setting up FTI on my public folder store. Our only desire is to speed up the search results on a public contacts folder that is replicated across all 3 servers. Is FTI our best option and how much should I expect it to speed things up? We are seeing about 15-20 second searches (and sometimes longer) currently. Not horrible, but the execs want it faster. Thanks, M...

can't find form
i have a command button on a form [frmMainMenu] that when clicked, closes that form and opens another [frmFixtureSchedulePrintOptions]. The 2 share the same table as a record source, so i'm doing this to avoid conflicting updates the code behind [frmMainMenu] reads like this (below), and functions correctly DoCmd.Close stDocName = "frmFixtureSchedulePrintOptions" DoCmd.OpenForm stDocName, acNormal on the new form [frmFixtureSchedulePrintOptions], there is a command button to save to close itself, and open the previous from [frmMainMenu], and the ...

Combine part of text from one col to another
I'm trying to combine only part of a string from one column with all th text of another column. For instance I want to create usernames to log into a network. If col has Bill and col2 has Smith I want to get just the B from col1 an combine it with col2 to make smithb in a new column. Thanks in advance -- Message posted from http://www.ExcelForum.com Try this: -- HTH, RD ============================================== Please keep all correspondence within the Group, so all may benefit! ============================================== =B1&LEFT(A1) "epac135 >" <...

How to find addresses stored in Favorites folder
My toobar shows a button for adding to favorites but I can not find my favorites list anywhere after I add them? http://www.outlook-tips.net/archives/2004/20041116.htm -- Diane Poremsky [MVP - Outlook] Author, Teach Yourself Outlook 2003 in 24 Hours Coauthor, OneNote 2003 for Windows (Visual QuickStart Guide) Need Help with Common Tasks? http://www.outlook-tips.net/beginner/ Outlook 2007: http://www.slipstick.com/outlook/ol2007/ "Zuli" <Zuli@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:E1B7543A-7BE9-40C6-A4BA-5770FD90AB79@microsoft.com... > My toobar shows a button...

Cell background shading in Excel
Why is it that the background shading colors available under the Paintbucket Icon chjange from file to file? Also, how can I add some of the colors to the paintbucket that are availabe under the format/cells/pattern pulldown? Colors are a Workbook-level property, so you can change the color palette for any workbook. Choose Tools/Options/Colors... and modify the colors to your hearts' content. You can also import another workbook's color palette from that dialog. Note however, that there are only 56 bins in the color palette, so you can only use 56 colors at a time. The paint b...

Sum every other cell?
I own a used-book shop. I have an Excel SS to track how many books pe day I sell in each of 28 categories and the $$$ I take in for eac category. So there's two columns for each day: #books & $$$. therefore want to add every odd-numbered cell in a row to get the tota number of books for a category in a given period of days and ever even-numbered cell in the same row for the the total $$$. Is there simple formula or function for this -- bookmanj ----------------------------------------------------------------------- bookmanjb's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php?acti...

find/replace
I'm trying to find all the 0's in a certain column and replace them with a blank. However, when I hit the "find next" it finds a number that's not 0. For example, it'll find the number 126.423 which doesn't even have a 0 in it at all. I don't what the problem is. LLama Is 126.423 the result of a formula? If you select the cell that contains 126.423, what does the Formula bar display? George Gee "LLama" <lmausti@gmail.com> wrote in message news:1184097332.098867.322270@57g2000hsv.googlegroups.com... > I'm trying to find all the ...

How do I populate the "Find" dialogue in Word with the contents of the clipboard?
Hi I tried, and failed to create a macro. (I do a procedure hundreds of times every day so wanted to automate it) I press Control-F (to open the 'find' dialogue) and then press Control- V (to paste the contents) into the dialogue. As you can see from the code below, when I recorded the macro, it used '2022' (which is what happens to be in my clipboard right now) but I want it to use the clipboard. Is this possible? I hope I've explained the problem properly. ==================================================== Sub FindWhatsinClipboar...

On startup text to speech installation keeps appearing
Dear All When I load up Excel the dialog box comes up before excel continues to load saying: "Text to Speech - This feature is not currently installed. Would you like to install it now?" I dont want to install it but this KEEPS coming up, any ideas? Thanks Adam Someone answer please !!!!! >-----Original Message----- >Dear All > >When I load up Excel the dialog box comes up before excel >continues to load saying: > >"Text to Speech - This feature is not currently >installed. Would you like to install it now?" > >I dont want to inst...

how do I find the equation of a line using a scatter plot?
I am taking a chem lab and right now we are studying rate laws using kenetics. we had to graph the results of our experiment and then find the equation of the line. such as y=mx+b but i cant fiugre out how to do it. or if i am supposed to put a trend line in the graph, but if that is what I am supposed to do how do I find the equation of it? First: to make trendline. Right click on the data in the chart; use Add trendline; specify Linear; on Options tab, check shoe equation Secondly:To get slope and intercept: Let's say you x-values are in A2:A11 and y-values in B2:B11 for slope us...

MERGE CELLS
I have Name, PO Box, street address, city, state, zip across a row in 6 seperate cells/columns. I want to have this format in 1 cell: Name PO Box Street address City, State Zip STEVE wrote: > I have Name, PO Box, street address, city, state, zip across a row in 6 > seperate cells/columns. > > I want to have this format in 1 cell: > > Name > PO Box > Street address > City, State Zip > You do realize that this will screw up your ability to sort the data. A better solution would be to describe what you want to do with the data. You may not need it in the ...

How do I format a cell to auto date
I would like to have a date automatically enter itself each time I open the spreadsheet. Is there a way to do this? Any help would be appreciated. Thanks Hi George Use a function like this one for todays date =TODAY() -- Regards Ron de Bruin http://www.rondebruin.nl "George" <George@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:7EF21130-EBD9-41C2-8CB5-5723BE40CBB1@microsoft.com... >I would like to have a date automatically enter itself each time I open the > spreadsheet. Is there a way to do this? Any help would be appreciated. > Thanks ...

Repeating columns cuts off merged cells
Hi all, I hope you can help because I can't find a solution to this one. I've got a two page spreadsheet (side by side) and I'm trying to repeat columns A & B because their row headings on the left and should only appear when printed (split onto two pages) (as in print setup > columns to repeat at left > $A:$B), ...... but B57:I57 are merged and wrapped (another grief that merged wrapped cells don't auto height, but that's for another day) and so are B58:I58 and B59:I59 (footer things). ...... and when printed, B57:I57, etc. cuts off on the second page and...

can auto text be used in excel
can auto text be used in excell like it can in word? You can enter data in a table in Word then transfer it to Excel. "Me" wrote: > can auto text be used in excell like it can in word? ...