Filtering: whole numbers only

Hi,

I've got a number of spreadsheets of data from some experimental work. The
format is:
Column A: time of measurement (0, 0.5, 1, 1.5, 2, 2.5, 3, etc)
subsequent columns: Measurement values.

I would like to filter the data so that only measurements taken each second
(0, 1, 2, 3, etc) are kept and other measurements (at 0.5, 1.5, 2.5, etc)
are excluded.

Any idea how to set the filter up?

Thanks.

Aaron

excel 39879 articles. 2 followers. Follow

Personally I wouldn't want to actually lose the data, so I would just hide
it.  Add another column that says Hide/Show and use a formula such as:-

=INT(A2)=A2

Copy it down as far as necessary and then just filter on TRUE, or Throw a
Pivot table at it and then throw the Hide/Show field into the Page Fields and
select TRUE

If you really want to get rid of the data then filter on FALSE, select all
and do Edit / Go To / Special / Visible cells only, and then Edit / Delete /
Entire Row.

--
Regards
              Sys Spec - Win XP Pro /  XL 97/00/02/03

----------

"Aaron Borbora" wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I've got a number of spreadsheets of data from some experimental work. The
> format is:
> Column A: time of measurement (0, 0.5, 1, 1.5, 2, 2.5, 3, etc)
> subsequent columns: Measurement values.
>
> I would like to filter the data so that only measurements taken each second
> (0, 1, 2, 3, etc) are kept and other measurements (at 0.5, 1.5, 2.5, etc)
> are excluded.
>
> Any idea how to set the filter up?
>
> Thanks.
>
> Aaron

0
ken.wright (2489)
10/26/2006 11:32:01 AM
"Ken Wright" <ken.wright@NOSPAMntlworld.com> wrote in message
> Personally I wouldn't want to actually lose the data, so I would just hide
> it.  Add another column that says Hide/Show and use a formula such as:-
>
> =INT(A2)=A2
>
> Copy it down as far as necessary and then just filter on TRUE, or Throw a
> Pivot table at it and then throw the Hide/Show field into the Page Fields
> and
> select TRUE
>
> If you really want to get rid of the data then filter on FALSE, select all
> and do Edit / Go To / Special / Visible cells only, and then Edit / Delete
> /
> Entire Row.

Thanks so much, Ken!  It works fine and has save me hours of work!

Best,

Aaron

Excellent, and thanks for the feedback :-)

Regards
                Ken.............

"Aaron Borbora" <aaron.borbora@merton.ox.ac.uk> wrote in message

> "Ken Wright" <ken.wright@NOSPAMntlworld.com> wrote in message
>> Personally I wouldn't want to actually lose the data, so I would just
>> hide
>> it.  Add another column that says Hide/Show and use a formula such as:-
>>
>> =INT(A2)=A2
>>
>> Copy it down as far as necessary and then just filter on TRUE, or Throw a
>> Pivot table at it and then throw the Hide/Show field into the Page Fields
>> and
>> select TRUE
>>
>> If you really want to get rid of the data then filter on FALSE, select
>> all
>> and do Edit / Go To / Special / Visible cells only, and then Edit /
>> Delete /
>> Entire Row.
>>

> Thanks so much, Ken!  It works fine and has save me hours of work!
>
> Best,
>
> Aaron

0
ken.wright (2489)

Converting Numbers to written text
I am setting up a mail merge to create letters and cheques. I have a dollar value in numbers in excel and I would like to be able to have the written part convert automatically (i.e. $300 to three hundred dollars) can this be done? Brad, There's a lot of threads on this subject in Google. Take a look here: http://tinyurl.com/24k7n John "Brad" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:ADBD109B-8B71-4CE3-8D24-12E86831D8EF@microsoft.com... > I am setting up a mail merge to create letters and cheques. I have a dollar value in numbers in excel and I w...

auto number columns in excel
Is there a way to set up a column of numbers so that it automatically updates the numbers every time a line is added or deleted? >-----Original Message----- >Is there a way to set up a column of numbers so that it automatically updates >the numbers every time a line is added or deleted? >. >Use =count(A1:A10) or more rows as required. If its the last row used - =row(B1) extended down to maybe B100. Then you can use =large(B1:B100) this will give you the last row used. Mal I either did not understand the reply given or was not clear in what I am trying to accom...

Sales Report filtered by time, Z Report filtered by date
Does anyone have any Z summary reports that can be filtered by day, week, etc Also does anyone have a sales summary report that can be filtered by date and time. (Our liquor store is open untill 1 AM and I can't get the broken out sales over the "two day" period once sales has started on the next day? Thank you so much in advance. There is a combined Z report on the Jean Holland web site (I believe) that does exactly what you want it to do. In regards to (sales) reports by date and time: I asked the same question a week or so ago in this NG but didn't get any soluti...

Filter
I have a table that has various fields on information such as name, address, phone number. I would like to generate a mailing list so that one household per phone number gets the mailing (John Doe & Jane Doe have separate records, but share the same phone number - I want for their household to only get one copy of the mailing). Is there a way to do this, and if so, how? Thanks, Glenn The best way is to use Word and use the Excel file as the database. Use the Word help files on Mail Merge to get details. "Glenn" <glenn@glenncoolong.com> wrote in message news:%23ACfS1...

Filter viruses
Hi, I'm tired of these viruses. However antiviruses doing their job well, but the matter is traffic. How I can filter messages with viruses which declaring in the message's header that this message came from my own domain but not from my IP address? For example: Header >Microsoft Mail Internet Headers Version 2.0 >Received: from mydomain.com ([Not my IP address]) by mail.mydomain.com. What can I do in this situation? Thanks in advance, Paul Use SPF. Refer to: http://spammarshall.com/SpamMarshallWeb/Spf.jsp Paul wrote: > Hi, > > I'm tired of these viru...

'advanced filter/unique values only' inaccurate counts
i often have to use filters to reduce a column of numbers to just it's unique values. simple enough, but unfortunately excel's advanced filter doesn't always do the job and leaves out values or just doesn't filter correctly. i'm hoping there's a simple explanation for this and the filter can be made more reliable. any thoughts? The filters are reliable, so there may be a problem with the data. For example, a space at the end of a text string can cause two cells that look the same to be extracted by the filter. Perhaps you can give an example of what's left out, ...

check number duplication
How does one get Money 2006 to flag duplication of check numbers and why doesn't the program flag such occurences? This is only an occassional problem but I have never found a way to get Money to warn me or to flag such an occurence. The only place I know of where it does that is in the Monthly Report. Which is a bit late! ;-) -- Regards Bob Peel, Microsoft MVP - Money For UK tips & fixes see http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=fh;EN-GB;mny. I do not respond to any emails that I have not specifically asked for. "bergrrt" <bergrrt@discussions.microsof...

validate phone numbers etc.
Is there a way to have validation for phone numbers, SS #'s. It would be cool to have a simple validation for number or string with no other restraints too. Thanks John hi, try debra's site http://www.contextures.com/xlDataVal01.html neat site with a lot of validation stuff. regards FSt1 "John" wrote: > Is there a way to have validation for phone numbers, SS #'s. > It would be cool to have a simple validation for number or string with > no other restraints too. > > Thanks > > John > ...

Sorting numbers, please help?
I ahve a spreadsheet that contains 5 columns of whole numbers rangeing from 1 to 100. I need to count how many times each number appears in each column or even in all 5 columns together. Ex. the number 1 appears 252 times, etc. Does anyone know how to sort the data that way? I have imported into an access table as well if that's easier. Please help? you could use CountIf function on excel. e.g CountIF("A1:A500", 1) which will should how many time 1 appear from range (A1 to A500). "Kevin Schultz" wrote: > I ahve a spreadsheet that contains 5 columns of w...

how can I create sequentially numbered tickets on Publisher?
I'm creating theatre tickets in publisher and need to sequentially number each indivdual ticket. How do I do this? Use mail merge -- JoAnn Paules MVP Microsoft [Publisher] "phuerta85" <phuerta85@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:D6A7D2E3-A976-47F5-90E9-5E0EFAC9327A@microsoft.com... > I'm creating theatre tickets in publisher and need to sequentially number > each indivdual ticket. How do I do this? ...

Number of users per message store.
Does anyone know an easy way to calculate the number of ussers per message store, other tan counting them seperatly. Thanks, Mark in the ESM, you should be able to drill down to "Mailboxes", select them all, and get a count down in the "status" bar... -- Susan Conkey [MVP] "Mark A. Dudley" <mark@nospamcjmnetworking.com> wrote in message news:447495a7.179533468@msnews.microsoft.com... > Does anyone know an easy way to calculate the number of ussers per > message store, other tan counting them seperatly. > > Thanks, > Mark On Wed, 24 Ma...

Remittance Check Number on PM History Records
Currently you can't print a history report that will show you what was included on a remittance or check stub from a check that has already been posted and moved to history. If the PM30200 table had a column that showed the Remittance Check Number for every record, then we could print history remittance report. Some customers are trying to print a report at the end of each month to give to their vendors that show all the checks that were paid to them and the detail of what was on each check. If you had a invoice and credit memo for the same amount and applied to each other, there...

Biztalk 2002, eConnet 8.0 how to return the Error number/string using the eConnect Wrapper?
Does anyone use orchestration designer with the eConnect wrapper for version 8.0? if so how do you return the error number/string in the form of an email? Currently I have wrote a lot of functions in the pre/post routines to help me out. ...

multiplying a whole row
How do i multiply by a factor a whole column of numbers without having to create a new column and creating a formula to do this Copy the value you wish to multiply to the clipboard.Select the range of cells you wish to multiply.ClickEdit> PasteSpecial>under Operation check multiply and then OK. sik wrote: > > How do i multiply by a factor a whole column of numbers without having to > create a new column and creating a formula to do this 1. Enter your factor into an empty cell and copy. 2. select your column of numbers. 3. Edit/Paste Special/ select Values and Multiply .....

Page Numbering 02-18-10
I am trying to put page numbers only on the first page of each document in an appendix section of a large document. I have put section breaks between the different documents in the section. I was always able to do this in work 97 - can't get it to work in word 2007. You'll have to select the "Different first page" option in the Page Setup dialog box for the relevant sections. To display the Page Setup dialog, click the dialog launcher button (the little arrow on the bottom right) of the Page Setup group on the Page Layout tab. -- Stefan Blom Microso...

Correcting Page Numbering with Section Breaks
Hi Community, How do I correct the page numbering in a Word document with section breaks? I inadvertently remove the first page number directly from the footer and now all pages have the same number. The first page of the document is a cover page; the second page contain the abstract and on which I would like to start the page numbering at 1. I have created two section breaks--one between the first and second pages, and one between the second and third pages. This was done to untie formatting between the sections. Thank you in advance for your assistance. In Word, the pa...

Maximum number of data series possible in excel 2007
What is the maximum number of data series possible in excel 2007? In excel 2003 it is 255. Is it the same for 2007? Same. - Jon ------- Jon Peltier, Microsoft Excel MVP Tutorials and Custom Solutions Peltier Technical Services, Inc. - http://PeltierTech.com _______ "divya" <gosain.divya@gmail.com> wrote in message news:2d5c607b-8f5d-409d-83f2-e0884c617d90@v26g2000prm.googlegroups.com... > What is the maximum number of data series possible in excel 2007? In > excel 2003 it is 255. Is it the same for 2007? Still 255: http://office.microsoft.com/en-us/excel/HP100738...

In Excel 2000, How do you select the whole of a worksheet (Select.
In Excel 2000, How do you select a whole worksheet (Select All) with ONE click of the mouse? Cheers!! click on that little grey button to the right of the column headers and at the top of the row headers. Using the keyboard (you didn't ask!). Ctrl-a (twice in xl2003.) Rascal wrote: > > In Excel 2000, How do you select a whole worksheet (Select All) with ONE > click of the mouse? Cheers!! -- Dave Peterson ...

How can I get background fill in Publisher to cover a whole page
I am using Publisher 2002 with windows XP. When editing I have a frame which covers trhe whole page and has a background fill. When printing there is a white border all around, however big I make the frame. I am printing on A4 paper. How can I get this fil;l to cover right to the edges? Does your printer support full bleed? -- JoAnn Paules MVP Microsoft [Publisher] "acmr" <acmr@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:ED29C702-96FD-44FF-ABAE-0196169147FD@microsoft.com... >I am using Publisher 2002 with windows XP. When editing I have a frame >which >...

Can filter driver ignore an AddDevice?
Hello, I have a question. If my filter driver elects not to filter a certain PDO (e.g. it retrieves some PDO property through IoGetDeviceProperty and figures out the device should not be filtered), what should it do? 1) Return STATUS_UNSUCCESSFUL, or 2) Simply return STATUS_SUCCESSFUL before doing any IoCreateDevice And anyway, is it legit to call IoGetDeviceProperty on the PhysicalDeviceObject at this point? Thanks. Just return STATUS_SUCCESS but do not attach to the device stack. If you return a failure code the whole device stack will be torn down. -- Don Burn (MV...

how i can filter the Treeview child node
At the 'select purchase order items' screen (purchase order module-auto receiving), there is tree view object. Can i do some customization on the treeview object? I only want to display the PO NO according to the person in charges and the person currently log into GP. Can someone give suggestion on this? ...

Large numbers of messages
I have problems when I'm away from my PC for a day or more. Today I have logged-on after 36 hours and have 300+ messages with attachments (photos) amounting to �100Mb+ I find that Outlook cannot cope with this and after about 150 messages gives uo and starts again. Hence I have numerous copies of the earlier messages but no way of accessing the latter ones. Any ideas? If I just want to delete eveything that's in my mailbox how do I do that as, without having completed the synchronisation, it remains there. Thanks. Increase your server timeout to at least 15 minutes. This...

Number formatting #6
i type "2" and it automatically converts to ".02". I do not want this. Any idea what I did to get this and how do I get my old excel back? Thanks in advance This is a new one for me. It sounds like you are somehow converting a percentage to a decimal. 2.00% 0.02 If that's not the case, than I'm not aware of any other number format that automatically divides a number by 100. Maybe it's something build into Excel 2007 (I'm on 2003). Try messing with the number formats for all your data if you're entering directly into Excel. Regards, That On...

Account number in Vendor Master
I am trying to create a smarlist tom list all vendors from different companies. The only way I can identity the companies is thru a user defined field in account master. How can I get the AP account number from the vendor master? I tried linking vendor master to vendor accounts using vendor ID and get the account index from vendor accounts to link to Account master to get the account number. Somehow it work for some vendors. Is the account index unique for different entities? What is the easiest way to get the account number from the vendor master? We are using GP 9.0 Thanks If the ...

Assigning numbers to spreadsheet entries...
OK let me explain... I have an excel file with 13,000 cancer cases. Each case (row) is identified by an individual patient's unique ID number and the year/month/day of their diagnosis. Each patient is listed in the database at least twice (at least 2 cancer diagnoses). Right now I have the data sorted by patient ID, then by date of diagnosis. I need to number the cases (in a new column) 1, 2, 3, etc. in the order they present for each individual patient. Example: Patient ID year_diagnosis NEW COLUMN 0001 1981 1 0001 1988 ...