Fill in text from drop down list box in Excel

Hello,

I have created a drop down list box but the list is getting too big and
the user has to scroll down the list to select the data. Is there a
feature I can use to display the data that start with the same string.
For example: If I type "Be" in my box, the box could display the list
that start with "BE or Be".

I created the drop down list by using "Data", chose "Validation", and
chose "List" from the "Allow" tab.

Thanks for your help.

Bexi

excel 39879 articles. 2 followers. Follow

Bexi

If your drop-down list if from Data Validation, you cannot have Autocomplete.

Try a combo-box drop-down list.

Debra Dalgleish has instructions.

Gord Dibben  MS Excel MVP

On 27 Sep 2006 10:32:02 -0700, "Bexi" <bexi_reyes@yahoo.com> wrote:

>Hello,
>
>I have created a drop down list box but the list is getting too big and
>the user has to scroll down the list to select the data. Is there a
>feature I can use to display the data that start with the same string.
>For example: If I type "Be" in my box, the box could display the list
>that start with "BE or Be".
>
>I created the drop down list by using "Data", chose "Validation", and
>chose "List" from the "Allow" tab.
>
>Thanks for your help.
>
>Bexi

Gord Dibben  MS Excel MVP
0
Gord
9/27/2006 7:27:45 PM
Hi Bexi,

As Gord says, no auto-complete with Data > Validation.  However, this may do
what you want if you are able to sort your list.

Sort the list and then at the beginning of the A's enter a single A.  Do the
same for all the other letters on down the list, B, C etc.

Now when you want to select something from the list, type the letter in the
validation cell and DO NOT hit enter, the cell will still be in the edit
mode with the cursor blinking.  Click the drop down arrow and you will be at
that letters list.

You really can hit enter when you type in the letter but you will have to
reselect the cell which is another step.

HTH
Regards,
Howard

"Bexi" <bexi_reyes@yahoo.com> wrote in message
> Hello,
>
> I have created a drop down list box but the list is getting too big and
> the user has to scroll down the list to select the data. Is there a
> feature I can use to display the data that start with the same string.
> For example: If I type "Be" in my box, the box could display the list
> that start with "BE or Be".
>
> I created the drop down list by using "Data", chose "Validation", and
> chose "List" from the "Allow" tab.
>
> Thanks for your help.
>
> Bexi

0
lhkittle (223)
9/28/2006 9:26:35 PM
I tried it and it worked. THANK YOU.

But, I wanted to be able to just click the "Enter" key instead
of using the mouse every time I selected an item from the list.

Can I still add a VBA code that allows the user to use the "Enter" key
instead of using
the mouse? Do you have that code? I am an accoountant with a little
knowledge of programming.

Thank you once again.
Bexi
Bexi wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I have created a drop down list box but the list is getting too big and
> the user has to scroll down the list to select the data. Is there a
> feature I can use to display the data that start with the same string.
> For example: If I type "Be" in my box, the box could display the list
> that start with "BE or Be".
>
> I created the drop down list by using "Data", chose "Validation", and
> chose "List" from the "Allow" tab.
>
> Thanks for your help.
>
> Bexi

Looking for Excel Help

New to excel

Excel button problem

Excel 97 #9

contact list #13

how to find an item in a list control?

learning Excel #3

Outlook 2003 Drag and Drop Emails

Excel VBA

q Emailing Excel Sheet With Outlook

Formula for cross tab data filling

How do I lock individuals cells within an Excel spreadsheet so th.
i am trying to lock cells that have formulas in them, but other cells in the spreadsheet need to be unlocked so the end users can enter information. Hi first select the cells for which you want to allow entries and goto 'Format - Cells - Protection' and uncheck 'Locked'. Now protect the sheet 'Tools - Protection' "ucastores" wrote: > i am trying to lock cells that have formulas in them, but other cells in the > spreadsheet need to be unlocked so the end users can enter information. ...

Contact oddity and why are there 2 Contact Lists?
Running Win 7, and was receiving emails in WLM with my maiden name listed in the TO:. I found out that I had my maiden name listed in Contacts (I run a high school mailing list here) so I decided to check it out and changed the last name to all caps. Sure enuf the next email I rec'd showed that name. I then deleted the email address connected to my name in the contact list and everything is back to "normal" (whatever that is <G>) Why in the world are there 2 contact lists on my computer......one thru WLM and one thru Windows Contacts? I'm confused. ...

Form Dropdown Combo Box
My dropdown combo box currently displays one column. What I would lik to do is have the box dispay column A and B but only extract the I from B. How would I be able to do this -- Message posted from http://www.ExcelForum.com I'm not sure if I understand the problem correctly, but have you trie using a CONCATENATE function to join the values in Columns A & B? Say you have first names in Column A and surnames in Column B. Us something like =CONCATENATE(A1," ",B1) in Column C for the dropdow list. You could also use =A1&" "&B1. The apostrophe marks are just...

Can validation lists be enlarged
When a validtion list is created can this be enlarged in a spreadsheet which has been reduced to view. Hi for a workaround see: http://www.contextures.com/xlDataVal08.html#Larger -- Regards Frank Kabel Frankfurt, Germany "AC" <AC@discussions.microsoft.com> schrieb im Newsbeitrag news:B6A557E7-7B2C-459B-94CE-02606B6CAB3A@microsoft.com... > When a validtion list is created can this be enlarged in a spreadsheet which > has been reduced to view. ...