Files opening at start-up

I just got a new computer and was setting up defaults in Excel, and I
mistakenly entered 'My Documents' in the Tools/Options/General field
for "At startup, open all files in." So when I start Excel it tries to
open EVERY file in My Domuments and I have to use Task Manager to kill
it. I opened in Safe Mode to change that option, but that doesn't seem
to work. (Ie, when I open Excel again in regular mode it goes back to
opening every file.)

Is there another way to fix this? THanks!

Andrew

0
scbiggs (1)
7/20/2006 3:56:28 PM
excel 39879 articles. 2 followers. Follow

Can you use Windows Explorer to rename that "my Documents" folder, then start
excel, change the setting, then rename the folder back to its real name.

--

Dave Peterson
0

Dave Peterson wrote:
> Can you use Windows Explorer to rename that "my Documents" folder, then start
> excel, change the setting, then rename the folder back to its real name.
>

> scbiggs@gmail.com wrote:
> >
> > I just got a new computer and was setting up defaults in Excel, and I
> > mistakenly entered 'My Documents' in the Tools/Options/General field
> > for "At startup, open all files in." So when I start Excel it tries to
> > open EVERY file in My Domuments and I have to use Task Manager to kill
> > it. I opened in Safe Mode to change that option, but that doesn't seem
> > to work. (Ie, when I open Excel again in regular mode it goes back to
> > opening every file.)
> >
> > Is there another way to fix this? THanks!
> >
> > Andrew
>
> --
>
> Dave Peterson

0
agbiggs (32)
7/20/2006 4:20:47 PM
From the windows "Run" type

excel.exe /automation

Then: Tools/options/ fix entry...

Beege

<scbiggs@gmail.com> wrote in message
>I just got a new computer and was setting up defaults in Excel, and I
> mistakenly entered 'My Documents' in the Tools/Options/General field
> for "At startup, open all files in." So when I start Excel it tries to
> open EVERY file in My Domuments and I have to use Task Manager to kill
> it. I opened in Safe Mode to change that option, but that doesn't seem
> to work. (Ie, when I open Excel again in regular mode it goes back to
> opening every file.)
>
> Is there another way to fix this? THanks!
>
> Andrew

or just temporarily move the stuff in my documents, open excel, chang
it, then move the files back

it doesn't open subdirectories, so you only need to move stuff in th
root my documents directory

--
MDubbelboe
MDubbelboer's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php?action=getinfo&userid=3633

That's what I was afraid of.

This is a setting kept in the registry.

If you're comfortable changing the registry...

Windows start button|Run|Regedit

Traverse to:

HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Office\11.0\Excel\Options
under:  AltStartup

And delete that key.

(11.0 means xl2003, 10.0 means xl2002, etc)

But be careful.  Since you're working in the registry, you may want to back
it up before you do any changes.  (You don't get a confirmation prompt when
you make changes here!)

--

Dave Peterson
0

Best,

Andrew

Dave Peterson wrote:
> That's what I was afraid of.
>
> This is a setting kept in the registry.
>
> If you're comfortable changing the registry...
>
> Windows start button|Run|Regedit
>
> Traverse to:
>
> HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Office\11.0\Excel\Options
> under:  AltStartup
>
> And delete that key.
>
> (11.0 means xl2003, 10.0 means xl2002, etc)
>
> But be careful.  Since you're working in the registry, you may want to back
> it up before you do any changes.  (You don't get a confirmation prompt when
> you make changes here!)
>

> "agbiggs@hotmail.com" wrote:
> >
> > I think that would work with any other folder name, but it wouldn't let
> > me do that with My Documents; I guess it's such a prominent thing that
> > they don't let you monkey with it. Thanks, though - I appreciate the
> > help.
> >
> > Dave Peterson wrote:
> > > Can you use Windows Explorer to rename that "my Documents" folder, then start
> > > excel, change the setting, then rename the folder back to its real name.

> > > --
> > >
> > > Dave Peterson
>
> --
>
> Dave Peterson

0
agbiggs (32)
7/20/2006 6:29:43 PM
Thanks for the feedback, Andrew, glad to have been helpful.

Beege

<agbiggs@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> Thanks, everyone! Beege's fix took care of it and I'm back in business.
>
> Best,
>
> Andrew
>

> Dave Peterson wrote:
>> That's what I was afraid of.
>>
>> This is a setting kept in the registry.
>>
>> If you're comfortable changing the registry...
>>
>> Windows start button|Run|Regedit
>>
>> Traverse to:
>>
>> HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Office\11.0\Excel\Options
>> under:  AltStartup
>>
>> And delete that key.
>>
>> (11.0 means xl2003, 10.0 means xl2002, etc)
>>
>> But be careful.  Since you're working in the registry, you may want to
>> back
>> it up before you do any changes.  (You don't get a confirmation prompt
>> when
>> you make changes here!)
>>

>> "agbiggs@hotmail.com" wrote:
>> >
>> > I think that would work with any other folder name, but it wouldn't let
>> > me do that with My Documents; I guess it's such a prominent thing that
>> > they don't let you monkey with it. Thanks, though - I appreciate the
>> > help.

>> --
>>
>> Dave Peterson

Why I cannot stop Messenger from starting with Windows?
Hi, I have removed tick from "Run Windows Messenger" when Windows starts" option in Prefererences tab. Despite that, each time when I start Windows Messenger comes with it. I checked Run regkey and Messenger is not there. How to remove it? Claire See http://kellys-korner-xp.com/xp_messenger.htm. For Messenger/Outlook Express tweaks, see http://kellys-korner-xp.com/xp_oe.htm. Claire wrote: > Hi, > I have removed tick from "Run Windows Messenger" when Windows starts" > option > in Prefererences tab. > Despite that, each time ...

Outlook PST file too big
Product: Outlook 2000 I recently backed up my Outlook PST file to a DVD. (It was over the 2 GB limit) I then created a new PST file to use. However, now I cannot mount the old PST file to get some data off it. I have been told this is due to the file being over 2GB. Is there anything I can do to get into the file now? I would hate to loose this much data. is it because the pst is too big or because you are reading it from a DVD? Outlook needs read/write access as well as a pst under 2GB. http://www.slipstick.com/problems/repair2gbpst.htm -- Diane Poremsky [MVP - Outlook] Author, ...

Printer problem when OPENING reports
Access 2002. Opening a database from another user's machine, and when trying to open up a report, a dlg comes up saying that the printer doesn't exist. The printer it lists, is the one that I was hooked up to on my machine when I last printed the report. The person has his own printer, why wouldn't it just print to that printer. I don't have any code or settings that I know of that have made the report do that. That seems like me sending a word doc, and when you open it up, it says MY printer is not available. Of course not, you'd be printing it on YOUR printer....

Opening photo attachments
In a laptop we had previously opened photos (.jpg) in e-mail attachments by default with Nero 7. The program got corrupted and had to be uninstalled, and this laptop is now with my wife in another location where we cannot reinstall Nero for a while. What is now happening when she tries to open such photos that are e-mail attachments is that she gets a message "application not found"; thus, she cannot open the files. She can save them and open them in another program (Adobe Photoshop), but they do not open by default and she has to save them first before she can open them. Is...

need help... Getting a error when I add a xml schema include location xsd file
Hi, I am trying to add the following line to my xml schema xsd file <xsd:include schemaLocation="../../../Common/datatypes.xsd"/> Here is my code XmlSchemaInclude include = new XmlSchemaInclude(); include.SchemaLocation = "../../../Common/datatypes.xsd"; schema.Items.Add(include); when I print out the schema, it crashes StreamWriter sw = new StreamWriter(@strFormName+".xsd", false, Encoding.UTF8); schema.Write(sw); sw.Close(); Any help is greatly appreciated, Thanks ...

"File As" Contact Field Blank
Hi, My "File As" Field is blank in when viewing my Contacts in Outlook 2003. Although the field is entered when completing a new contact, it remains blank when viewing the contact as an Address Card, or whatever. Any ideas how to fix this? I am using Office 2003 Professional. -- BadHead :) --- OS: Windows XP Professional SP2 PSU: Tagan 2 Force TG530-U22 530W MoBo: Abit AN8 Fatal1ty CPU: AMD64 3200 (Venice Core) HSF: AeroCool GT-1000 RAM: 1024Mb 400Ghz Patriot XBLK GPU: MSI NX6800 256MB (NV Silencer 5 Heatsink) Disks: 2X Maxtor DiamondMax 10 200Gb Case: Akasa Eclipse 62 Did...

Opening Attachments?
I have a Win XP Sp3 machine with Outlook 2003 Sp3 installed. This has worked previously. If I am looking at the email in the Reading Pane and there is an attachment I can click the attachment it works correctly, however if I "open" the email via a double click and then attempt to open the attachment I get an error related to the Outlook Secure Temp folder. There are no files in the OSTF location and the user has local admin rights on the machine. Also if the user creates a new email and adds an attachment and wants to view the file attached before sending there is al...

money 2003 will not open
I am trying to install money 2003 on a dell 933 desktop. I can get every other program in the works programs to work, (encarta, word etc but not money - it keeps getting that error report message and then if I try to start it it still gives me the error report-i have unloaded and reloaded several times-I have run regclean, regvac system mechanic etc to no avail. pleas help gary the error signature is AppVer 11.0.0.716 ModName:kernel32.dll ModVer 5.1.2600.2180 Offset:0001eb33 I found the answer to my question - it was a registry problem that required me to run : regsvr32 c:\wind...

Please help me: Refresh pivot table using another source file.
My supervisor put an interactive spreadsheet (or pivot table) on the web. Now he wants me to make changes to the spreadsheet so that when you click "Refresh" on the website, this spreadsheet gets new data from me rather than from my supervisor. How do I do this? Thanks for your help. ...

Macro Run on WorkBook Open?
Have a macro that I want to run when the file is first opened. Is this possible? If so, How? Thanks in advance -- / Sean the Mc / "I have not failed. I've just found 10,000 ways that won't work." - Thomas Alva Edison (1847-1931) You answered your own question. Right click on the excel icon just to the left of FILE> the workbook_open event is there. -- Don Guillett SalesAid Software donaldb@281.com "What-a-Tool" <Die!FrigginSpammersDieDie!@IHateSpam.Net> wrote in message news:MetMc.7592$BX.2445@lakeread08... > Have a macro that I want to run w...

cannot get outlook started
please help i have been trying to set up outlook and am haveing great problems when i put in my email adsress (yahoo) and try password it just keeps flashing up password and wont connect -- bex http://office.microsoft.com/en-us/outlook/HA011133141033.aspx "becca" <becca@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:8B9352A5-91FA-4782-98E7-D5BEAADA9582@microsoft.com... > please help i have been trying to set up outlook and am haveing great > problems when i put in my email adsress (yahoo) and try password it just > keeps flashing up password and won...

Publisher file #2
I am preparing (as I do every month) a magazine formatted in booklet style. Whenever I close and reopen, it's turned itself into a web page! I can reconvert it via Page setup, but when I return to work some more, it's back in web page format. Any idea why? and what can I do to stop it, please? -- -------------------------------------------- Protected by Norton Antivirus What version Publisher? -- Mary Sauer MS MVP http://office.microsoft.com/ http://www.mvps.org/msauer/ news://msnews.microsoft.com "Lorna Dodd" <lorna.dodd@virgin.net> wrote in message news:ulvrWxi...

Opening a csv with more than 65536 rows
Hi I have a 10MB .csv file having some 200,000+ rows and 3 columns. I obviously can open the file in any other plain text editor. But when I open this in MS Excel 2003, I get the msg *File Not Loade Completely*. The details are > > This error is usually encountered when an attempt to open a file wit > more than 65,536 rows or 256 columns is made. Excel is limited t > 65,536 rows of data and 256 columns per worksheet. You can have man > worksheets with this number of rows and columns... > So how would I go abt saving this entire .csv file as .xls ? The latte part (after 65...

merging files
I have two excel reports, formatted the same but with different data. how do i import the second excel file into a workbook of the first excel file? Hi one way: - open both workbooks - activate the workbook with the sheet to be exported and right-click on the tab name - choose 'Move/Copy' - choose your target workbook and check 'Copy' -- Regards Frank Kabel Frankfurt, Germany george wrote: > I have two excel reports, formatted the same but with > different data. how do i import the second excel file > into a workbook of the first excel file? ...

File, New Message
When you send a new email message from Outlook or Word 2003, you can start typing in the TO: email address and it shows a list of addresses to choose from (ones you have typed in before). This list of previous emails typed in seems to have been completely deleted, and I am starting over from scract - each time I type in a new email, it appears in the list the next time. How did this list get deleted? How does it get restored? I don't see anywhere do to it. I do use Norton Anti Virus and LavaSoft Ad-Adward spyware, could they have removed it? I have never had this problem before...

Outlook 2003 Upgrade Kept Old PST File Version, How to Fix?
I just upgraded a client to 2003 because of some issues with the PST file size in his Outlook XP (it crashed as he exceeded the 2GB limitation by about 200MB!). Anyway, the upgrade kept the file as a 97-2002 PST file which still has the 2GB limitation. I created a new data file that is the new version and was able to recover the other PST file, but I can't get Outlook to make that the default Outlook folder. I could move the email delivery to it, but not have Outlook open this file. I tried renaming the default PST to see if Outlook would then prompt me for a data file, but it wouldn&#...

Slow opening new Word document
Using Word 2000 on XP. I have a shortcut on my desktop to open a new Word Doc. However, clicking on it, or right clicking on desktop, seems to take forever before it opens. Any ideas please? TIA Katherine ...

Excell won't open
I have produced a series of spreadsheets this morning. (Excel 2003) on my laptop. Have been saving them on a shared network folder. I have come to open them again and all I get is a the excel background with no worksheet. They all opened fine earlier this morning. Every other machine on the network can open the spreadsheets (from this location) just fine. I can open other spreadsheets from that same folder that I produced on other days. If I copy this morning's spreadsheets to my laptop, they still won't open. In all other aspects Excel works fine. If I save a new workshee...

File in Exclusive Use
I have searched this forum and Excel help and cannot find the answer to my seemingly simple question. How does a user take a file out of exclusive use? We have an Excel file that was shared and the user accidently put the file in exclusive use mode, now we are unable to share the file again. The user does not know how she put the file in exclusive use, can anyone tell me how this is done? Any help will be much appreciated. You should be able to simply reshare the workbook. Excel doesn't allow a shared workbook if it has a table. We don't use shared workbooks muc...

sums on a file
Is there an easy way to see all the sums that are on an excel spread sheet at once. DO you mean all the Formulas ? If so, use CTRL+` (the key to the left of 1 on the top row of the so-called typewriter keys). Use the same key combo to return to normal. best wishes -- Bernard V Liengme www.stfx.ca/people/bliengme remove caps from email "BINZA@" <mark1.smith(remove this)@virgin.net> wrote in message news:O2eZZICTGHA.5900@tk2msftngp13.phx.gbl... > Is there an easy way to see all the sums that are on an excel spread sheet > at once. > Perfect Bernard just wha...

import pst file #2
yet, another problem with importing a pst file: When I have chosen the file to import I get the message: 'Properties for this information service must be defined prior to use' But I cannot find anywhere to define it when importing??? I obviously made a definition naming the pst file when exporting it. But how do I import the file? How did you create this PST file? Was it ever on a CD? If so, remove its read only attribute. -- Russ Valentine [MVP-Outlook] "carsten" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:0dad01c3c034$48890ec0$a001280a@phx.gbl....

Determining open orders
Hi, I'm just starting reporting Great Plains for our company. How do I determine open sales orders from not open sales orders??? After that, is there any good database resource for me to examine? ...

Can't open Publisher files
I am an IT coordinator at an international school in Bangkok, Thailand, and I have a teacher who does all of her parent newsletters in Publisher 2000. Today she tried to open about 10 of them from last spring, and even though we can see the files in My Documents when she clicks on them, she gets an "Unable to Open File" error. Any ideas????? Thanks Do they have the garbage/trash/rubbish/junk Symantec Norton antivirus installed? Are you trying to open the files from a network? -- The US should free all those illegally held prisoners they are torturing, abusing and denying human ...

How To Prevent Access Program from Opening Twice
I have an Access program on a users computer with a shortcut on the users destop to open up the Application. They are using Access Runtime. The problem is that they use a touch screen to open up this application and they sometimes become impatient when they tap on the icon on the desktop to open up the application and they end up tapping multiple times, thus opening up several copies of the Access Application. Is there a way to limit Access from opening up only once? Thanks, Terry D "Terry D" <terryd@stclair.com> wrote in message news:cqKdnbrZvfL-Ga...

Opening document with specified font
I have code on a command button to open a text file: Dim oApp As Object Set oApp = CreateObject("Word.Application") oApp.Visible = True oApp.Documents.Open "c:\My Documents\New Incorporation\Output\tags.txt" This opens in Courier New 10.5 and I would like it to open in 9. Is there code I can use to specify the font size? Thanks for any help. Dudley You really should ask a question regarding programming Word in a Word forum. You are much more likely to get the help you seek there. If you google ms word vba set font size you'll find many examples to...